shape
carat
color
clarity

FInal choice diamond, give me your opinion, also what to ask an appraiser.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moolman

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I discussed this a little before in another thread but I wanted a fresh new one because the time has come to take the plunge.

So, I picked out a diamond that I like on supercert and niceice but I wanted to give the local guy a chance. The problem is he doesn''t have access to all the fancy equipment that supercert and niceice have, so it''s hard to compare apples to apples.

First off, what do you think of these specs and any guess as to what price range it should fall under. The only thing I worry really about is light performance since the numbers add up but I don''t have enough experience to know how much a good diamond should sparkle, etc. etc.

GIA cert:
Round
6.87-6.89 x 4.19
1.19c
D: 60.9
T: 56
G: thin, faceted
C: none
P: excellent
S: excellent
VS2
G
FL: none
It has the GIA inscription, along with the H&A inscription.

Here''s the info I got, it''s from a Megascope - OGI Systems LTD.
Est weight: 1.185
Diam: 6.88(6.87-6.90) [0.3%]
TD: 60.6 4.17mm
CA: 34.9 (34.6 -35.4)
CH: 15.2 (15.0-15.3)
PA: 40.8 (40.7-40.8)
PD: 43.1 (42.9-43.2)
C: 0.3 V.Small
TS: 56.2 (55.9-56.8)
GT: 1.2 (1.0-1.4) Thin
P: 0
In the HCA, it gets 1.4, Excellent, Excellent, Excellent, Very Good.

Now, next subject, what should I ask an appraiser.

Some of my questions will be, my appraiser has seen supercert and niceice diamonds, so I will ask him how my diamond compares to those and if my diamond lacks in anyway compared to those online ones.
Obvious things like, if the cert matches the diamond.

Is there an important question that I should ask?

Thanks

Alex

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2005 2:24:21 AM
Author:moolman

So, I picked out a diamond that I like on supercert and niceice but I wanted to give the local guy a chance. The problem is he doesn't have access to all the fancy equipment that supercert and niceice have, so it's hard to compare apples to apples...

First off, what do you think of these specs and any guess as to what price range it should fall under. The only thing I worry really about is light performance since the numbers add up but I don't have enough experience to know how much a good diamond should sparkle, etc. etc...

Hi MM,

I briefly saw your other threads, and though am not intimate with all of the details it sounds like your local jeweler is working hard for you.

No matter where you decide to purchase, be sure you investigate the total package. NiceIce and SC have long examination periods with 100% refund guaranteed. NiceIce has a trade-up policy as well (for the future). Balance that against the convenience of having a local "live" advocate. If not already suggested, I would ask your jeweler, since he seems willing to go the distance, for an examination period long enough to have it appraised.

Grading report and numbers-wise, it sounds like you have found a great diamond. Without worrying about 'fancy tests,' how does the diamond look to you, in person, compared to others? Put it in the direct spotlights of the store. Put it under a desk where light cannot reach it directly - does it still sparkle well? Take it outside - does it go crazy in the sunlight? If it's a cloudy day does it still retain sparkle (a cloudy day is one of the hardest tests). Better yet, can you take a diamond of similar size but lower price because of lesser cut and compare them in these environments?

Those 'fancy tests' are as good as it gets.
34.gif

Now, next subject, what should I ask an appraiser.

Some of my questions will be, my appraiser has seen supercert and niceice diamonds, so I will ask him how my diamond compares to those and if my diamond lacks in anyway compared to those online ones.

Obvious things like, if the cert matches the diamond.

Is there an important question that I should ask?

Good questions. If you like the techno-cutgeek side of it all (like I do), have him run the gamut of tests and visit with you about them all.

You have mentioned it is being sold as a Hearts & Arrows diamond. As you likely know, there are no official standards for what constitutes H&A. Ask your appraiser how well-patterned it looks and definitely have him take some images. Have all of these things noted in the appraisal for insurance documentation.

Here is information on getting the most out of your appraisal from one of our PS regulars.

For your own perusal, Here is information I compiled on Hearts & Arrows standards.

Sounds like you are doing good homework. Let us know what you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results