shape
carat
color
clarity

Feeling numb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
How do you know if you are in an abusive relationship, when the abusive is NOT physical? I think I am going crazy, and I''m too embarassed to confide in family or friends because no one knows that I am (or was, as of two weeks ago) still in this relationship.

This summer, after attempting to make things work with my boyfriend for a year, I moved back to my home state. It was supposed to be a temporary break that would give me time to reconnect with my family and him time to straighten some things out in his life. I won''t mention his religion, because I don''t want to have this post be removed, but I believe our religious differences played a HUGE role in this mess. He was disfellowshipped (excommunicated) from his church and was not supposed to be dating me while he tried for reinstatement. And he was not supposed to date me AT ALL because I am what they call an "unbeliever." I did try to convert to his particular faith, but I just couldn''t do it, as it is not only a religious change, but a lifestyle change as well, at least in some areas. That is all I will say about that.

We planned on seeing each other once a month. Because of his financial situation (he had declared his second bankruptcy after his second divorce and lost his job in the mortgage industry) I was the one to pay for the visits and also the one who had to do all the flying. The first visit in August was great and gave us both hope for our future. The second visit in late September ended on a bad note when he woke me up in the middle of the night after having a bad dream. He asked me why I never listened to him about religious matters, why I continued to drink Diet Coke when he had shown me articles about Nutrasweet being unhealthy, and why it took me so long to transfer my credit card balance to a card with a lower interest rate. I admit I was cranky at 3 in the morning, but when I realized he was serious, I tried to explain my feelings/actions to him. When that didn''t work, I apologized for being stubborn and hard-headed. That visit ended with him dropping me off at the airport a few hours later and not even telling me goodbye. I almost had a panic attack before I boarded the plane. When I arrived home, five hours later, he told me that I had overblown the whole thing and that it was just a simple argument, and all couples have arguments. He told me to stop being so over-emotional because he was worried I was unstable.

After that visit, I was in no hurry to visit him the next month. He didn''t mention a visit either until late in October. He told me over the phone while I was grocery shopping that he had found a flight for only $200, but it had a five-hour layover. I told him that for a weekend visit, a five hour layover was not going to work because by the time I would get there, it would be time to fly right back. I said that it wasn''t worth it. What I meant by that was that the cheaper price wasn''t worth it, and I would rather just pay more money to get a direct flight. He took my comment to mean that HE wasn''t worth it and ran with that, no matter how many times I tried to explain what I meant. That weekend he put up an ad on Craigs List in the personal section and had dates with five different women over the course of 3 days. When he wouldn''t answer his phone all weekend, I called a mutual friend because I was worried (he has anxiety attacks), the friend told me what he had done. He told me that I needed to get out of the relationship and that I was being abused.

After hearing this, I left a voicemail on my boyfriend''s phone, very upset, and told him that I knew what he was doing. I left several voicemails, actually. I could not stop crying, because this was the man who told me he loved me and needed me so much, and who also told me that no one really loves me like he loves me. He tells me that my family loves me, but I''m only a secondary relationship for them because my dad has remarried, my mom is dead, and my brothers have families now of their own. When he finally returned my call, he was very angry. In one my my messages, I told him that he had been lucky to have me. He told me that one of the women who he saw "totally blew me out of the water, looks-wise." He also told me that he told his story to all of these women, and they told him that I was a selfish bitch for leaving him and "abandoning" him and that by looking at my picture, they could tell I was a "shallow piece of shit." I told him that I''m sure the women looking for dates on Craigs List are all licensed therapists and qualified to judge.

I don''t really remember what happened after that. I was very upset. A week or so later, he called me and told me that dating other women made him realize how much he loved me, even though I had abandoned him. He said that listening to my voicemails that night made him realize how much he had hurt me, and he was so sorry. I forgave him. It was now November by that time, and I scheduled a flight to go and see him in mid-November. A couple of weeks later, though, I couldn''t get a hold of him on the phone. I had talked to him the previous day and he was fine, so I wasn''t really worried until later than night. He called me back around midnight and told me he had been on a date with a woman who was a former Miss Guam. He said they spent all day together. When I got upset, he told me it was my fault for leaving him. Again, I don''t remember what happened after that. I think I forgave him because we started talking again about a week before my scheduled visit. He asked me if I would quit my job in December and move out to be with him again because he couldn''t take it anymore. He asked this while I was at work, so I asked if we could talk about it later that night. He never called me back that night. The next day, while I was at work, he called me and told me that he could not be with me anymore. He said he realized he was too picky to be with me. He told me that he had been feeling bad for how he had been treating me until he realized that if I would have only listened to him and worked with him and let him be head of house, he wouldn''t have to come down on me so hard. He also said that he couldn''t forgive me for abandoning him. He said that he was going to concentrate on making money, working out, and then find someone more compatible with him.

Over Thanksgiving, he decided he was in love with me again. He said his mother had really messed up his thinking as he was growing up. She married and divorced four times, and some of his stepfathers were abusive. He said he was controlling because that''s the way she is. He said he would work on it. At this time, I told him I was done and I changed my number. He sent me desparate emails telling me how much he loved me, how no man would ever love me like he did, how men would use me for sex and then dump me when they realize what a bad Irish temper I have. During a low moment, I called him so he had my new number. We talked off and on through December and January until I thought maybe he had changed, then we started up with the "I love you''s" again.

There are blank spaces in my memory. I used to have a really good memory, but I literally can''t remember some of the things that happened during this time period. I know we got back together and I made flight plans but something would happen and I would cancel it. In late Jan or early Feb. the same friend told me that he was talking to women who he "met" on a dating site that was designed to introduce American men to Filipino women. He told the friend that the women he was "talking" to via webcam and internet voice were so sweet and submissive (that is a word he uses a lot) and told him how they would take care of him and cook for him. He also told the friend about a website called nomarriage.com which recommends not to marry American women for various reasons. It''s a very hateful sight. I cried when I looked at it and saw what he was reading and apparently agreeing with. there was one woman in particular who he spoke with and she told him she wanted to get engaged and married and live in the US with him. Later, he called me and told me it was all a mistake and he was just doing "research."

I flew out to see him last month. Everything went well, actually. He told me that after not having me there, he realized how empty his life was without me. He wanted us to do "what God says" about having an honorable courtship and then get married. He also kept saying how quiet I was and he wasn''t used to me not chattering away. I honestly didn''t know what to say to him. I don''t know why I was even there. At this point, I feel like a robot and I am not in control of my life. I just wish I could figure out what would make and keep him happy. Religion is a constant issue.

So I fly back home. We start fighting. Or really, he starts ranting and I keep apologizing or trying to explain. Over stupid things. Like he asked me how my dad and my brother were getting along after a disagreement that they had. When I said fine, he said how can they possibly be fine after their argument? When I said all I know is that they appear to get along well, and that was it, he said I was being short with him and I was angry. I wasn''t angry, though. I just didn''t know how to answer his question any other way.

Then he tells me that he feels guilty about some physical stuff which took place during my visit, which he initiated. He told me that he wanted to have an honorable courtship and next time I flew out, he would pay to have me stay in a hotel. Since he can''t afford much, I should fly out Sat. mornign and then fly back Sun. I told him that that idea didn''t work for me, because I could not fly four and half hours Sat. morning and then turn around and fly back on Sunday. it''s just too physically exhausting. Not to mention not worth $300 - $400 just for a 24 hour visit. He told me again that I needed to think about what makes God happy, not us. He said I couldn''t stay at his apartment because he can''t resist my physically and he wants God''s blessing for us in our marriage.

Two weeks ago I found out he was still communicating with this one particular woman in the Philippines. My friend told me that he compares me to her all the time to him. She is sweet and submissive and is willing to do what God says, I am not. I am also too tall and too skinny and I won''t listen to him about putting on weight. He told me that my boyfriend was talking about flying to the Phil. to visit her. How he could possibly afford to do that is beyond me, as he is b-r-o-k-e. So I call him and tell him that I know what he is doing. He tells me that I am crazy and that all he wanted was God''s blessing, but I am too mean and hateful. He would not admit to anything and later called our mutual friend and told him that he threw him under the bus.

I admit I lost it. He called me mean and hateful, so I showed him mean and hateful. I left really rude text messages. I felt horrible the next morning and left a voicemail to apologize. Two days ago he sent me several texts telling me that I had almost killed him. he had to go to the emergency room with chest pains and is now on beta blockers. He said the only person he ever wanted was me, and all he wanted was our relationship to be blessed and for me to do whwat was required to recieve that blessing. He told me he was done with relationships, period, and he made two new male friends who he was going to hang out with for a while until he gets healthy and gets his debts paid off. He said everyone is telling him how hateful and mean I am. Of course, these people don''t know me and only hear his side. The mutual friend told me that I am being abused and that my ex has serious issues and is not looking for a partnership with a woman but woman to be his servant. I asked him why he was his friend, and he said he didn''t know. He said that my ex helped him while he was going through his divorce, just like I did, and he feels he can''t turn his back on him, especially now.

I realize I am just emotionally purging on anyone reading this. If you made it through my post, thank you. I realize that I am farrrrrr from perfect and I have done and said some things that I wish I had not have, but I have never treated him like this. Whenever he needed me, I was there. When he needed to "borrow" money for his bankruptcy, I gave him the money. I paid his cell phone bill. I held him when he cried every other weekend when he had to drop off his son after visitation. I took care of him when he was sick. I bought him clothes when I saw he needed them. I forgave him, even when he didn''t ask for forgiveness. When I needed a ride to the emergency room last year because I was having fainting spells, he accused me of being a drama queen and my friend''s husband had to take me and stayed with me while I had an IV and brought me home and went grocery shopping for me. I''m finally angry about it. I never was angry before about it. I always thought something was wrong with me, and that I was unstable and high-maintenance. The sad thing is right now, all I want to do is call him and ask him to forgive me for getting angry with him for having an internet affair. I''m just sick with myself.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry to hear what you have been going through, and yes, you sound like someone who has been emotionally abused. Whether his behavior is intentional, or learned, there is no excuse for what he has done to you and I beg you not to contact him again. Rather, you should find someone IRL to confide in and seek the help of a counselor to sort through your trauma.

You owe him no apologies, rather, he owes you a BIG fat apology, and you owe it to yourself to put your life back together!

Remember, your parents love you more than their own lives and there is someone else out there for you who will love you even more than he claims to.

Hang in there girl...

ETA:
Here is a website that might be helpful:
http://www.womanabuseprevention.com/html/emotional_abuse.html

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2008 7:30:27 PM
Author: omieluv
I am so sorry to hear what you have been going through, and yes, you sound like someone who has been emotionally abused. Whether his behavior is intentional, or learned, there is no excuse for what he has done to you and I beg you not to contact him again. Rather, you should find someone IRL to confide in and seek the help of a counselor to sort through your trauma.

You owe him no apologies, rather, he owes you a BIG fat apology, and you owe it to yourself to put your life back together!

Remember, your parents love you more than their own lives and there is someone else out there for you who will love you even more than he claims to.

Hang in there girl...
I agree w/this and read your posts in the past and they have been similar so I hope you move on. Wishing you the best

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
MJ, you''re not alone! I''m sending hugs your way.

I think it''s great that you''re looking at your relationship from all angles. Whether or not you decide to label it as abusive, unhealthy, dysfunctional, etc., I think a telling thing is that it doesn''t seem to be what a relationship should be: nurturing, healthy, positive, fun, etc.

I''m not a licensed therapist either (that was a cute joke, by the way!), but I can give you my perspective:

I know you were trying not to be too specific concerning religious stuff, but it seems to me that religion is just one of many reasons why this relationship is unhealthy.

The first part of your post that jumped out at me was when you said he told you he thought you were unstable. My guess is that there is projection going on here. After all, he is the one having anxiety attacks which make you feel compelled to check up on him.

The list of totally f---ed up things he has said to you is really long. And I''m sure there are things you didn''t include. Mentioning your "dead mother," saying he''s "too picky" to be with you, the ridiculous insults that were supposedly hurled at you by his dates, etc., etc.

It''s scary that you have memory blanks over the last few months. I think your psyche is trying to protect you from trauma.

This dynamic is so far from what a relationship should be that I can''t even find the words. You should find it annoying that he leaves the cap off the toothpaste or only seems to be "in the mood" when you''re sleepy . . . those are the funny twists of being in a committed relationship. You shouldn''t have to deal with a partner who manipulates, mistreats, badmouths, abandons you . . .

Think of your friend''s husband who stayed with you. There are decent men out there. Sure, they might watch too much football, have a beer belly, not know how to do their own laundry . . . cute things that you can laugh about. Insults, cheating, no, no, NO!

I would look into visiting a therapist to help you sort through everything. Somewhere you got off track and forgot what love is supposed to be about. I daresay you lost yourself a bit? Honey, I can give you all the cyberhugs in the world (and I really am sending them your way!), but the best advice I can give you is that you are NEVER going to find your way back to yourself with this man. You cannot save him. Remember, you have to put on your oxygen mask before you can help another person. You need to find the beautiful woman inside of you who knows how she should be treated.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2008 7:37:19 PM
Author: phoenixgirl

It's scary that you have memory blanks over the last few months. I think your psyche is trying to protect you from trauma.
Yes, it is scary indeed. Depression could also be involved, which is why she really needs to seek professional guidance. Also, she might contend with symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) during her healing time, which is also something a therapist can ease her through.

Mrs. Jam, there are many caring people on this forum, so please keep us informed of your status. I have a friend who is a licensed counselor who does her counseling through an online site. I know it sounds strange, but if you are not comfortable seeking professional help in person, I can give you the name of the website, if you would like.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2008 7:13:09 PM

I''m so sorry you are going through this. I realize you are venting, but I want to answer your first question with a resounding YES. You are absolutely, 100% in an emotionally abusive relationship. You are not going crazy. And please, if you can, find someone in your family or friends that you CAN tell about this, because you need all the support you can get to break his influence over you. In addition, please consider counseling, as others have suggested.

The sad thing is right now, all I want to do is call him and ask him to forgive me for getting angry with him for having an internet affair. I''m just sick with myself.

I understand this impulse. Every time you think about it, try putting off making that call for 10 minutes. If you make it through the 10 minutes, put it off for another 20. And so on. You should be angry at him for SO MUCH more than simply having an internet affair. Make a list (you can use your post as a starting point, since it''s actually a pretty comprehensive list of reasons).

He is clearly controlling, stuck in a male-dominant mentality, and immature. He uses the threat of dating other women to bring you running back when you leave him, and then berates you for your perceived faults when you do. He is undermining your self-respect. He blames his issues on you. I have a feeling this guy would be toxic no matter what religion he was. Every time the impulse to call him gets stronger, remind yourself of another reason you should be angry. He does not deserve any apology, no matter what you think you may have done to him. Again, so sorry for the heartbreak you''re feeling...

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS. HE IS THE ULTIMATE A$$H0LE, AND YOU ARE SORRY THAT YOU WERE MEAN TO HIM??????? PLEASE TELL ME THAT YOU CAN SEE JUST WHO AND WHAT HE IS; NOBODY IS THAT BLIND, ARE THEY?

WHERE IS YOUR SELF-ESTEEM??? FIND IT. NOW. GET OUT OF THIS FIASCO. TODAY.

Nobody needs human companionship bad enough to ever put up with this kind of bu11$hit.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Double. See below.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to just put this out there and say PLEASE know this is very abnormal behavior and I find it very concerning.

He seems to be a zealot in a way, and confused about himself. Some of the stuff he is saying is just ludicrous as far as I can see. And the religious thing looms large to me, if you are of two such different faiths, and it just seems bizarre to me that he is punishing you with it.

Also, telling you what other women said about you is bizarre. Makes no sense to me. He is lying and doing things that are not okay and then turning it around so he can blame you. Very sneaky and manipulative. And I have a masters in psychology but would not need one to see this is an abusive and potentially bad situation.

I also think waking you up and then springboarding into this huge thing is totally odd. I think he is unstable and that you are better off without him, I know it is easy for me to say but there are a lot of worrisome signs.

Please know even if you cannot talk to your friends, there are places you can go and talk to someone. You should not have to handle this without some support locally.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes this is an abusive relationship and it is NOT healthy. Please do yourself a favor and take yourself out of this cycle of abuse. You deserve to be treated with respect and it sounds like this man is doing nothing but disrespecting you.

If you''d like professional help I would be happy to send you a few hotline numbers. HUGS!

And I don''t mean to be rude...but we have ALL told you that this is an unhealthy relationship months ago. I don''t think these actions of his change anything and we STILL will all tell you to beware beware beware!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2008 7:55:50 PM
Author: neatfreak
Yes this is an abusive relationship and it is NOT healthy. Please do yourself a favor and take yourself out of this cycle of abuse. You deserve to be treated with respect and it sounds like this man is doing nothing but disrespecting you.

If you''d like professional help I would be happy to send you a few hotline numbers. HUGS!

And I don''t mean to be rude...but we have ALL told you that this is an unhealthy relationship months ago. I don''t think these actions of his change anything and we STILL will all tell you to beware beware beware!
DITTO!!!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I am going to try to say this as delicately as possible, but I think you need to get out of this relationship. It sounds toxic to me. Your life will be a hard one if you stay with this man. I feel for him because he sounds like he''s had a hard life, but I think you are losing yourself. Other than maybe when you said mean things, I don''t think you''ve done anything wrong. You''ve bent over backwards for him.
38.gif
Please, if you think you can be strong and move on. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear. ((Hugs)) We are here for you. And yes, I agree you are DEFINITELY in an emotionally abusive relationship.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I AM a licenced therapist and you should stop all contact immediately. No calls, change your numbers,etc... This is an extremely toxic relationship and he sounds seriously mentally ill. Possibly with a sociopathic personality. He does not love you but wants to control you as all abusers do. Get out while you can. Seek help from a local womans hotline and move on. Sorry, that IS my professional opinion. Enough said... I know it won''t be easy but these types are expert manipulators.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
LEAVE. Truely, he is emotionally abusing you and his seeming mental problems as well as control issues indicate that over time he may progress to physical abuse.

The gaps in your memory are from experieces so painful your brain cannot handle them. That should be proof enough to leave. I know a guy whose mother''s funeral was on his 12th birthday. He didn''t remember that fact until 30 years later because it took him that long to come to terms with it. It caused him a lot of problems in the meantime and will do the same for you.

I was in a similiar, although less dramatic situation with my ex. He blew hot and cold and was cheating on me with a former model. I was crushed and forgave him twice after she broke up with him. He brought my self esteem down and I really believed I couldn''t do better, but I could and I did. As for the other women, I will say the same thing my BFF and MOH said to me, "(this was the 2nd guy this happend with) they only date beautiful women; doesn''t that make you a beautiful woman?"

Take care, and find someone you can trust to talk with. It is so much easier with someone who can give you a hug and remind you that you are the reasonable person and any reasonable person would get upset and b1tchy in your situation.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, you are in an abusive relationship. Abusers isolate their victims and it sounds like he is doing that to you. Tell you family and friends that you are seeing him still, and tell them you need their help to get out of the relationship. Stop contacting your so-called friends who tell you what he is doing and throw fuel on the drama of your relationship. Please take the advice of the previous posters and call help lines. His behavior sounds scary and worrisome, please don''t let him isolate you any more.

Wishing you all the best,

DD

cara

Ideal_Rock
This is an abusive and manipulative relationship. Please contact a counselor or call a hotline such as 1-800-799-SAFE. DO NOT contact this man again. You are way too worried about his emotional health and his problems are not looking out for yourself or looking at how he has treated you. You must protect yourself here, value your worth, and DO NOT call him, no matter how much you want to. This desire to make up with him and forgive him is part of a cycle of abuse, please contact a counselor or therapist or domestic abuse group or hotline instead. You may need some help in overcoming this, there is no shame in asking for it.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
mrs jam, I was so sad while reading your post. The thing is, I totally know what you are going through. As the others have said, you are not alone! I am going through this too (with mine it''s a marriage). You ARE in an abusive relationship. He is using emotional and mental abuse. He is playing games and lying to you. You can do better!! There is someone out there who will make you happy and not engage in internet affairs. Coincidentally, that is exactly what my husband did, among other things. That was the last straw for me and I asked him to leave. My divorce lawyer told me that internet dating, mind games, lying, drug use, etc... can be constituted as "cruelty".
I plan to see a psychologist to help me get over my anxiety and sadness. I think it''s a good idea to be able to talk to somebody (other than friends and family) and get feedback.
I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in facing an abusive relationship. Be strong! You will live through this and find happiness again.

Sending you hugs and support!!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
I''m probably going to sound like a broken record here...

It''s very difficult to realize you are in an abusive relationship when you are IN one. I can promise you that once you leave this "man", all you will feel is "why didn''t I do this earlier????". I was in a dead-end relationship for 4 years, KNOWING that it was toxic for me, and all I could think later was how much time I''ve wasted with him. Please leave NOW.

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh honey. You are getting a lot of wonderful, heartfelt advice here. Embrace it!!! Take your power back. And be kind to yourself.

You are worth so much more. Believe this.

Big hugs.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
END IT NOW. Life and relationships are challenging and difficult but no one deserves the treatment that you have been getting. I urge you to re-read your post and hear the desperation and confusion in your tone. You are much STRONGER than this jerk gives you credit for.

Somewhere out there is your fork (my grandma always said that there is a fork for every spoon in the world) - someone who will love you truly, deeply and greatly. You deserve SO MUCH MORE than this. Really.

HUGS.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your replies. Whenever I have the urge to call him, I sit down in front of my computer and reread your posts. My first instinct when I read your replies is that I need to reread my post to make sure I presented things as objectively as possible. When I have told him in the past (when family and friends knew I was still trying to work things out with them) that friends have told me he is too hard on me, he tells me that his mother, other relatives, and old friends (who live across the country and have never met me) tell him that I am unstable and he needs to get out of the relationship. So I just want to make sure I tell you what his major complaints have been about me, besides my unwillingness to change religions.

1. When I first moved to be near him, he was stressed about owing back taxes. He blamed his ex-wife for not taking care of it, as she was in charge of writing out checks for the bills. He was on a payment plan with the IRS, and he only had to pay $100 a month, and I can''t remember exactly what the problem was, but he asked me if I would loan him money to pay his backtaxes. When I asked him what he owed, he said between $3500-5000; he wasn''t sure. When I told him that I would pay the $100 monthly payment that month but I couldn''t pay the total bill, he exploded and left my apartment very angry. He called me the next morning and told me he still loved me and would marry me, but he would never trust me to help him, and we would keep our finances separate, and when he started making money again, he would not help me either, just as I was refusing to help him in his time of need. In my defense, I had just moved to that state and did not have a teaching job there yet and was starting to sweat about my own financial situation. He knew I had money from the sale of my house, but I counted on that money to see me through until I knew I had employment. Two days later, he asked me again to pay his taxes. I was scared at this point, not physically but just didn''t want to get verbally reamed again, so I wrote out a check for $1800, half of what he owed. When I gave him the check, he ripped it up. He told me it was a test to see if I had learned my lesson. At that point, I was just relieved he wasn''t really going to cash the check.

2. He owed Verizon about $2000 for unpaid cell phone bills. It went to collections and was taken care of in his bankruptcy repayment plan. He asked if I would go on the family share plan with Cingular and add him. I did, and also upped my plan so we would have enough minutes each month. Every month I had to increase the number of minutes, as he talks on his cell a LOT. He speaks with him mom for at least half an hour every day, even though they only argue and he always hangs up mad. I paid for our phone service for about 6 months. We had a fight one night over something I don''t remember, and I stopped by his apartment on my way to work the next morning to try to apologize bring him an egg mcmuffin and smooth things over so we could have a good day. He didn''t answer the knock on the door so I left. Actually I think I tried calling his cell phone too to see if he would come to the door. I just assumed he was up and getting ready for work. When I got back into my car, he sent me a text message telling me to quit stalking him so early in the morning. That really pissed me off because that was coming from the man who would call me at any time day or night and except me to wake up to talk to him whenever he was feeling anxious. I know that this is wrong, but I called Cingular and suspended his cell phone line. He told me that he had to pick up his son that night, and he could have had an accident or something with a kid in the car and not have a cell phone to call 911. It was further evidence that I was selfish. I know that it was wrong to cancel it without telling him or giving him notice, and I apologized for that and turned it on again.

3. I did not support him after he got fired from yet another job. I have always been supportive of him when he has lost work, but this time was different. He really has a bad attitude and complains about his boss to his co-workers on the phone in the evening. When I told him that it probably wasn''t a good idea because it could get back to his boss, he told me I didn''t know what I was talking about. His boss did end up firing him for not only the spreading of bad morale, but also a woman had complained that he was staring at her breasts every time she was in the same room as him, and he made her feel very uncomfortable. I listened to him talk about what a lying bitch she was and tried to calm him down, but he got mad at me for not getting outraged on his behalf. He asked me to just support him and be his friend, and I told him I was trying to, but he was making it hard to be his friend right then and there because he was only making himself more upset and I couldn''t make him feel better. He never let me forget that.

4. When he quit the job he got after that one, he quit without having another job lined up. He told me he was going to buy internet leads to sell mortgages. He said he would probably need about $500 a month to "rev up" until business took off and asked if I would do that for him. I told him I just wasn''t comfortable with that, because although I have some savings in the bank, I also live on a teacher''s salary and am trying to pay off credit card bills of my own. He went off again about how he couldn''t trust me for anything and I would probably let him starve on the street. Honestly, I just didn''t think the whole internet lead thing sounded like a good idea, and plus I thought it was irresponsible of him to quit a job without having another one lined up. I didn''t dare tell him that, though.

5. My dog around this time had to have eye surgery. It turned out she had to get her eye removed. She is my baby and is nine years old. She means everything to me. The emergency and regular vet bills totalled about $2000. He told me I didn''t hesitate to spend 2k on a dog, but I wouldn''t help him out. When I defended myself by saying that I paid for our groceries, our cell phones, and anytime we ate out, he told me I was emasculating him. I honestly did not defend myself in a rude way. I was just trying to show him that I do help him.

6. I abandoned him when I moved back home.

7. I am too materialistic and value possessions over people, as evidenced by my big diamond and Marc Jacobs bag and all the clothes I have in my closet. When I was married, my husband and I did have a very comfortable life. I admit I did shop too much and during my divorce I did wrack up credit card debt while making lifestyle adjustments and learning to live within my budget. Also, I had a very comfortable life with my parents before I left home and got married. My college was all paid for because my parents started saving before my brothers and I were even born. He told me that I never knew what it was like to struggle, and he is probably correct. I felt like he was punishing me because I came from a more upper-middle class background than he did. He also told me that my entire family, whom he has never met, except for my dad and stepmom, have twisted views on money. He says that because they know I am "only" a teacher, my dad and older brother, who have a lot of money, should send me at least $500 a month or pay off my credit card bills. I personally would rather die than ask my dad or certainly my older brother for a handout, which I don''t even need! I was not raised to think that way, and while my family would certainly help me in a time of need, my plate came off the table when I graduated from college and started supporting myself! When I told him that, he said I also had a twisted view on what family and money meant.

8. I just never listen to him. It took me too long to finish my essays for my Oregon teaching credential, and only by sheer "luck" did I get a job there. I dont'' know where he got that from. I finished my essays in plenty of time to get the teaching credential in that state and I got a job after my very first interview. I didn''t up the cell phone minutes the first time he asked; instead I asked him if it would be possible for him to maybe curtail the amount of time he spent talking on the phone. I stopped talking as much on the phone so he could have more of the minutes. I kept drinking Nutrasweet. I didn''t transfer my credit card balance to a card with lower interest right away when he told me to. I sold an item on ebay for a lower price than he thought I should have, etc.

Whenever I would do anything wrong, he would bring out all the old stuff, too. I keep thinking of what I could have done differently, and I would not cancel the phone on him ever again. I know that was wrong and I did it in the heat of the moment. In the past, I probably would have regretted not paying his taxes for him. But sitting here today, I know that wouldn''t have really changed anything, and I woudl be in the same position except 3k-5k poorer. I can''t change the fact that I enjoyed shopping and nice jewelry and a nice handbag. I had that stuff long before I ever met him, and it''s not like I ever asked him to buy me any of that. he is the only person who has ever told me I have a bad temper. I even called my ex-husband and asked him about that, and he just laughed. My ex-husband said the most annoying things about me was that I let my dogs sleep in bed and it was hard to get me to be serious. And I also thought about diamonds too much. Ha.

Thank you for reading my rant. I feel better tonight than I have in a long time. I am going to make a counseling appointment. I did start to see one before I moved home, but when he and I started getting along again, I stopped. He knew I was going to counseling and he told me that counselors were full of anti-male propaganda. What''s crazy is I remember actually agreeing with him at the time and thought maybe my counselor was going easy on me and siding with me just because I was a woman.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say that everyone that posted is SO RIGHT. You deserve more than this.

I''m sending lots of hugs your way and I hope that you can get through this and find someone who appreciates you rather than degrades you.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
chiapet, thank you. I am so sorry you are going through this.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
If that second post was meant to clarify something, it only served to make him look worse. He is a bully and a manipulative man and you are better off away from him.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you to all of you so much. I am sorry for being so long-winded, but I am a fast typer and I''m just trying to put it all together in my head. I just can''t figure out why he is doing this and keep thinking I am deserving of it for some reason. I have seen the way he can be really charming and sweet to people and so many people would say he''s a really great guy. He could be very physically affectionate and could make me feel really good about myself. But then when I messed up, it was all over. One minute I felt like a queen and the next a garbage can. I really wanted his approval and it made me feel really good when he was happy with me. And really crappy when he wasn''t. He used to tell me that he knew no other woman ever loved him like I loved him, and that made me feel good and I thought there was hope he could finally be happy once his job situation stabilized. As for the religious differences, I thought that maybe when other areas of our life started to go better, it wouldn''t be such a big deal anymore because plenty of couples deal with religious differences respectfully. It''s just hard because I keep looking for a reason why he wanted to find someone else on the internet who isn''t even "real." I don''t know why it''s so hard, but it just is. I feel ugly and stupid and like I am missing out on something. I wanted to be the woman that would make him happy, and it hurts to know that he is searching for that with someone else.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs. Jam: I almost quit reading your post after the first few paragraphs. It sounded so familiar that I didn''t feel a need to read on.

It sounds to me like your guy is controlling and manipulating you. What you label the relationship: abusive, mismatched, controlling, whatever... really doesn''t matter. You don''t have to label it to know that it''s harming you. You wrote what you wrote because some part of you knows that it''s not good for you.

Go with your gut. Listen to that little voice before you get so used to tuning it out that you no longer hear it. Take WTLNVR''s professional advice -- leave now and don''t look back. Remember, "no" is a complete sentence!

***hugs!*** and best wishes!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2008 10:12:34 PM
Author: mrs jam
I feel ugly and stupid and like I am missing out on something. I wanted to be the woman that would make him happy, and it hurts to know that he is searching for that with someone else.
Oh, Sweetie: Guys like your BF know that women who don''t feel good about themselves on some level are vulnerable, and they use that vulnerability (consciously or not) to control them. I went through several bad relationships before my own patterns really hit me. I don''t want you to do that! But the first step is to get out of the nasty, debasing relationship you''re in now. You deserve better, you know you do!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t give him the power to make you feel less about yourself. This has been going on for quite a while, I remember your other posts. Time to get out, and move on. You desereve better. Find a counselor, call a hot line, but DO NOT let him back into you life. He''s so controlling, and hurtful, he doesn''t love you. I know that sounds harsh, but my gosh, after what he has done to you?? As Dr Phil would say, well how is THAT working for you???

Get help ASAP and don''t look back. WE all have choices in life, make one that saves you from a life of further despair and abuse. Respect yourself. It''s time.
2.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.amazon.com/Women-Who-Love-Too-Much/dp/1416550216/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207793985&sr=8-1

well, i will admit to getting into an emotional loop with someone many years ago and i found this to be very very helpful. this is a newer addition but i''m sure even more helpful now.

and to give you an idea: http://www.livereal.com/relationship_arena/relationship_thinkers/robin_norwood.htm

it really is all about you, my dear. you can decide to put this man out of your life. its not easy [i can attest to that] but it can be done. this man is passive-agressive and you need the tools to move on.....which i hope you do. but first you have to find out some things about yourself and why you''re allowing yourself to be with this man.

you are right: you are in an emotionally abusive relationship. he is not going to change.....and he certainly is attempting to change you. to have his love all you have to do is not be yourself. great.

i hope you read the above book and article. it took a lot of work and being honest with myself, but if you''re brave enough to post all this here, you''re brave enough to dig in and do the work to remove this creep from your life.

movie zombie

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Your list of things you "did wrong" was all about money, not religion. I agree with whoever said that he would be abusive no matter what his religion.

Your subsequent posts upset me because it is so incredibly, indisputably, undeniably obvious that this relationship can never, will never EVER work, but you are still going over each little detail and trying to make sure that you''re not really to blame.

You''re not, but what if you were? What if your first relationship after getting married young wasn''t your best effort? What if you didn''t give it your all? So what? Wouldn''t that be understandable? What does it prove if you did do "something wrong" (you betrayed your lack of perspective on this when you phrased it that way)? We all make mistakes. We all say things we don''t mean. It proves nothing, he wins nothing, if you can think of one time when you weren''t as nice as you could have been. That''s life.

So let me get this straight . . . you told him that your friends and family told you to break up with him (like you need to get him to concede this point/turn his key or else you can''t break up?), so then he told you, no MY friends and family say I should break up with YOU!, and somehow he won this argument? Just break up already. You are both pissing vinegar. Why? What are you getting out of this? What does it do for you to have somebody mistreat you? What does it do for you to analyze insults and recriminations? Do you enjoy the attention that you get from your mutual friend with him, your friends and family, and the PS community? Because it''s one thing to need a wake up call . . . it''s another to include "lean on friends and family and internet support" as part of the dysfunctional cycle which you know deep down you aren''t willing to break out of.

Here''s what you said in June on this matter:

Thanks for your replies. I do know better, but for some reason I''m really attached to this person and keep thinking that things are getting better, but they''re actually not. I definitely do not want to ever go through another divorce; I went through that already after I got married too soon to the wrong person right after graduating from college. Mara, I''m no where near retirement age; I''m just finishing my graduate degree in Curriculum and Instruction. I haven''t been out in the work force for all that long, unfortunately! But I am definitely old enough to know better and to make much wiser decisions than I have been making this past year. It''s just a matter of getting my heart to follow what my head already knows; I''m getting there, but it''s been a roller coaster.
Thanks again for all your replies. I''m realizing that I have forgotten what "normal" is in a relationship, and it helps to get the perspective of others.

Thank you all for your very sound advice. This is the first serious relationship, actually the only relationship, I''ve had since my divorce. I just latched on hard, and I''m not really sure why. He''s a good guy, but he has a lot of baggage, as do I, and we''re just not a good combination. It''s just hard to end things, but everyone in my life is telling me to GET OUT. I definitely do not want to make another mistake and am just going to take a break from relationships in general. It''s just hard right now, but I''m being a big old baby! Thanks for your replies.

If you were on the other end of this post you could give some great advice . . . the trick is to follow it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results