shape
carat
color
clarity

Feeling more and more like a LIW

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Hi.
I thought I might make my attempt one of these intro posts
1.gif

I''m fairly new to PS, I''ve been lurking a bit, and I''ve thrown in a response here and there, and at this point I''m starting to feel a little attached to the place, so an intro seems in order.

So hello! I put this intro here b/c I am officially an LIW. I would say I have been now for about 6 weeks. My BF and I have been dating longer, but shockingly to me not that much longer. We''re at about 5 months right now. I am a grad student trying to finish my Ph.D. in Architectural History and Theory and he works in Marketing. Right after we met I got a job for next year in Charlotte NC, so the schedule is defend the dissertation July 23rd and move to Charlotte Aug. 1. But what to do with the budding romance, right?

Well, about 6 weeks ago my BF and I went to a friend''s wedding in NYC. When we came home, we were IMing a bit while I should have been writing and he should have been working. Going back and forth about how hard long distance was going to be when he suddenly wrote "Do you want a ring before you go to Charlotte?"
23.gif

I was shocked. My stomach shrunk to the size of a pea and then rebounded to normal size in like a millisecond. Did I want a ring? No, I didn''t need a ring. And the next thing I knew I had spent about 14 hours reading everything I could on PriceScope. Can anyone relate?

So, fast forward to today....My BF and I have shopped for the ring, and he has purchased the ring and I am currently waiting for the ring to be delivered to my house (b/c I as a student I''m nearly always home) via registered mail. (Freke''s recent horror story has me tremblin in my boots!) It''s starting to make me a little zany. Like just now...the mail truck just drove by and my stomach just did a back flip.....*ANXIOUS WAITING*.... and nothing today. Whew. At least I can leave the house now.

Of course, once the ring is here, its not really mine b/c he hasn''t asked THE question. It just gets to sit on my table and my waiting becomes a different variety of waiting. I hope that kind is easier.

In any case, that''s my story, and its lovely to meet you all.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
How exciting! Can you tell us a little bit about what the ring looks like?

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
Pictures pictures pictures!!

Also, hello!
35.gif

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
hello
35.gif

such a cute story, and i bet with things going by so fast you''ve been extra excited
5.gif

can''t wait to hear your proposal story, and put me down as seconding pics!!

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
Awww, congrats! ****DUST**** That he proposes soon!
Can''t wait to see some pics :D

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
Aww Cute! Welcome, welcome and Yes PS does sorta suck you in. I never thought I was the internet forum type, but lo and behold I love PS and everyone here!

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooh, *how* did you know just the question to ask??? Warning and apolgies for long windedness

So about a month ago, and the BF suggested we go to....Tiffany''s, of all places. *she nods vigorously* I mean, I read all the anti-T arguments on this site, and I knew it was silly to get a ring there, but who says no to that question!? So we looked at what seemed like every ring in the store, but what he really liked was the Legacy, except he hated the skinny band on the simple version, and they didn''t have an ornate version in the store. He preferred something that tapers up to the stone...less the solitaire look. So we go back home and look online and there is a pic of the ornate legacy with the graduated side stones, and he takes one look and says, "I like that one!" (The Legacy was one of my absolute favs, but it was always in the "don''t even bother fantasizing about it" category.)

Well, fast forward a couple weeks and lots of jewelers later and lots of looking at ornate legacy inspired pics, and we ask Tiffany''s to order in one of the real ones. The day they get it in, we go around to all the best jewelers in the area looking for rings to inspire us, and then we went into Tiffany''s and...the ring took my breath away. There is something about those proportions. It''s really delicate and lovely. Well, I tried it on, and the BF looked at it on my hand, and he just says.."That''s the ring, we don''t need to go anywhere else." The problem was that our local Tiffany''s kinda sucks. The SA''s weren''t great about getting options in, so on Memorial Day weekend we drove to Chicago where Connie (love love love Connie, if you live near Chicago, big recommend for Connie) got 5!! ornate legacies in for us to see, and *the* ring was among them.

So, the specs I know right now are 1.35 ct, H VS1. The rest of the ring is, how shall i put it..."encrusted" with 125 other diamonds, but I forget what the tcw is. Tiffany''s has this category they call "presence" where they evaluate other aspects of the stone--but I can only remember the big categories right now which were: x precision of cut (i have no idea what this means for a patented cut like the legacy), vg symmetry, x polish-but if the certificate they provide has something more I''ll provide.

I don''t have any pics of the actual ring yet, but we snapped this crappy one with the cell phone one when no one was looking....

legacy.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
CHARLOTTE!!!!!

Ummm, you know there are some PSers down here that just LOVE to see fresh bling, right?
31.gif

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooh!!!! No I had no idea! Hurray!!!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
There''s me, Zoe, Tacori, DiamondSeeker, MMM, dianne, and a few more spread around NC.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Topo!
35.gif

Nice to meet you! I''m LOVING your Tiffany. Can''t wait to see a whole thread of pics when that man of yours proposes! What will your job in Charlotte be?

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
I am so excited that there are so many PSers in Charlotte! I can''t wait to meet you all! This is seriously cool. The job is working in the architecture school at UNCC. I''ll be teaching history, architectural writing/theory and foundation studio for the next two years (and if I am lucky maybe longer).

Oh, and as to being excited, I didn''t know this was what people meant by being swept off your feet. I am crazy excited. After picking the ring in chicago we went to lunch at Ditka''s and not only could I not eat, but I had to put my head down and give myself a little "time out" right there in the restaurant. Ridiculous I know. The best part tho is in the moments when that overwhelmed feeling eases up, I just get unbelievably happy!
9.gif

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
Is he expecting you to get the ring in the mail, set it on your table, and NOT OPEN THE BOX???? We won''t tell.. promise!!

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
OOOh, well. Thank you again PS because this is another place where this forum has been super helpful. I told him about Freke''s problems with registered mail, and so either I or my neighbor will open the package in the presence of the mail carrier to ensure that the ring is still where it should be. Safety first!!
31.gif

Of course, not putting the ring on, once its sitting on my table, in an open box, when there is no one but kitty here looking...that''s the challenge.

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
I''m sure you *won''t* try it on...so please *don''t* take pictures!!!
2.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness, there is no possible way I''d be able to open it to make sure the ring is in the package and NOT try it on. I''ve got some self control, but not that much!

Your job sounds so cool! BF is interested in architecture, and somehow we both totally missed that UNCC had an architecture program. We''ve only been here a year, though, so I''m going to say that''s the reason, lol.

I''m so excited for you!!!!!

rialaine

Shiny_Rock
I too would have a problem not taking a peek.... and pictures....
28.gif

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
ITS HERE!!!!!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
SO EXCITING! So are you going to open it?

b.anna

Shiny_Rock
whoooo, wow i would so freaking tempted :D :D your ring is absolutely gorgeous. if i got a ring like that i would not be able to control myself! congratulations!

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I just know none of you will believe me but...I did just what we planned. No more. The postal carrier knocked, I opened the door and then ran to get my neighbor who witnessed me sign and then with the carrier there, I opened the package and confirmed the ring was still there and it was the right one. I WAS SHAKING LIKE MAD! It was such a little box. And inside there was egg-crate foam and then the little blue box with the ribbon, and all of the sudden, I felt. "Damn! I don''t want to open this." But I was committed so, ribbon untied, box opened, and black inner box popped out, opened and there she was. Ok. now what???

I ran inside with my booty and I had all the weird and conflicted emotions. It was beautiful. Perfect even. and....couldn''t I just slip it on, you know to make sure they got the size right...but most of all I felt like a kid who got to the christmas gifts two weeks before christmas morning. DAMN!!! It''s not that I wasn''t excited, but this ring is so much more than just a ring and I didn''t want to let any of my excitement out of the bag ahead of time, but there it was. I had seen the ring. I knew what it looked like in the box. I knew before the BF. DAMN.

So, back in box, back in box, back on with ribbon, back nestled into egg foam, back in box, box taped up. box in closet.

But here is the thing. The BF is a canadian, so were likely going to do the city hall thing and then have a real wedding 6 mos or so later. There is kinda something allegorical between having a "false" ring discovery before the one that really has meaning because our wedding might be like that too, if you see what I mean. So after a couple of hours of processing it all. I am just
9.gif

The ring is safe and sound. And after a day or two I''m sure my eyes will forget what she really looks like and how beautiful she is. And what I got today is a practice round, so when the BF does ask, I don''t have to be so excited about the bling (since I''ve already seen how it can overwhelm me), but instead can be more excited about him--and how lucky he makes me feel and how happy and you know...the important stuff.

Thanks for the sharing venue! I needed to get that out-LOL!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Lol...(((((BIG HUG))))) and congratulations on being so strong!
9.gif

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 12:32:53 PM
Author: b.anna
whoooo, wow i would so freaking tempted :D :D your ring is absolutely gorgeous. if i got a ring like that i would not be able to control myself! congratulations!

LOL, B.Anna, your ring is a ring like that!!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
OMG! How incredibly exciting. I'm a HUGE Tiffany lover so I always enjoy seeing a girl get a Tiffany ring! I have a Tiffany thread posted in the LIW form (click me!) for Tiffany lovers and those waiting for a Tiffany ring. You could join us if you like! It kinda died down the past month but I'm sure you could bring it back to life!

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, so this isn''t any sort of official SMTR or anything, but quick update... immigration concerns mean that no very important questions could even *maybe* get to be asked until after we make a trip to Canada at the end of the month, so I am definitely waiting waiting waiting. (All dust appreciated, of course
2.gif
)

The other day, having made it through the ring delivery and everything, the BF suggested that since it would be a while before it would be officially mine, I could try the ring on my right hand and take a picture so I could remember it for the next few weeks (so very considerate, don''t you think
36.gif
)

I wasn''t going to post about it til there was more exciting news, but the Tiffany''s?? thread made me want to. It a terrible cell phone shot still and so it might do more harm than good, but Tiffany''s not elegant and lovely? Come on, now....I beg to differ.

IMG_0564.jpg

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
and one more showing the lovely lovely (IMHO, of course) profile.

knuckles.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you love your ring! It sure is blingy. We might need sunglasses over here when more pictures are posted!

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
*giggles with delight* i do love it, i do...

as for the sparkles...i wish the picture could capture its disco-ballness. So full of glittery wonder.

I do so much better if I can have a count down to some highly anticipated event, but now i only know that the count down is at least 19 days...what am I going to do after day 19???...just go crazy I think. How do you ladies do it?

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhhh! I love that ring! I selfishly can''t wait till he proposes so you can start a SMTR thread!!! That thing is phenomenal!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!!

Perfection much?

Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results