shape
carat
color
clarity

Fantasy Cuts?

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Does anybody have any videos of fantasy cuts?

I'm considering getting a fantasy cut gem, but I really have no idea how the light plays off of them. I've seen flat and concave facets in real life, but never a carved/fantasy stone. Any fans? Staunch detractors? Does someone want to make a vid of their fantasy cut stone? :naughty:

Like these:

nov12mamethysti.gif

dyer.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Like these?

Amethyst

Zircon -- I WANT this. Badly. (But somebody beat me to it.)

Zircon

http://jeffreyhunt.com/portfolios-2/#available-gemstones

Jeff Hunt does the most gorgeous cutting. Someday I'll buy a stone from him -- but a big one so I can admire the design, and I'll never set it. A setting would hide too much of its beauty.

timthumb.png

_312.png

mandela-zircon-0027-wu1.png

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Beautiful cuts.

However, I think they are all traditionally flat-faceted, despite being very innovative.

I was thinking more along the lines of gem carving wherein domes and grooves are bored into the bottom of the gem (in a concave fashion). You usually see this sort of thing coming from the likes of Munsteiner and Dyer. I know very little about it. I don't always love it, but when a somewhat simple design is used like in many of the Munsteiner's, I think it looks neat in photos, but I don't know how the light return would look in person.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, now I see what you're looking for, CC. Like this Munsteiner classic? I haven't seen similar things by others -- it's a rare skill, more art than anything else.

dompedro3.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
klewis' zigzag-cut Blue Tourmaline comes to mind (cut by John Dyer) - this stone I think is a perfect marriage of cut and color and shape - I don't think he's set it yet though - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/zig-zag-cut-blue-tourmaline.120491/ -

And I was in GemFix the other day and was looking at the display of loose fantasy-cuts and a couple of them *really* caught my eye but I was there to see specific stones in a limited time and did not ask to see any of the fantasy-cuts.

For me, some of the fantasy cuts are in quartz and even with the best of cuts I don't think I can persuaded to spend my limited gemstone budget on more citrine or amethyst, especially when fantasy-cuts usually command a premium price comparatively speaking (and understandably so due to extra time spent on cutting). I have seen some gorgeous fantasy-cuts in tourmaline though, which are quite tempting.

My other issue is size - sometimes fantasy-cuts are on the large size in terms of carat weight/mm size - which makes sense since you want to actually see the fantasy cut pattern - this also affects pricing of course, but more significant to me is the fact I pretty much only buy stones these days that I will set into rings and many fantasy-cuts are larger than I find comfortably wearable on my finger.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Size is the issue with me too, Marymm. If I bought a fantasy cut I would want it to be LARGE so I could see the cutting. I've been really in love with Jeff Hunt's Stag Cut -- the sort-of pear-shaped zircon above -- in the ages it's been on his website. But at 8.9 x 6.3 it's almost too small -- I'd want it to be at least 6 cm in length! :razz: And then couldn't come close to affording it.

Fantasy cuts are always fun to look at but in reality I feel they can detract from the enjoyment of a stone's color, crystal, & brilliance. They are usually super pieces of art, abstract scupture, whatever you want to call it, but often don't, imho, enhance a gem. One reason I love that Stag is that it highlights the secondary color in the zircon so beautifully. In general, I prefer more classically faceted stones.

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that is a great question CC. Believe it or not, it never dawned on me to see what one looked like while moving rather than just static shots. They have just never attracted me that much. My first thought when I see them is "what a waste of rough!"

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1397300963|3652268 said:
Oh, now I see what you're looking for, CC. Like this Munsteiner classic? I haven't seen similar things by others -- it's a rare skill, more art than anything else.

With one exception - this. Has to be one of the most beautifully cut stones I've seen. A masterpiece.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think of fantasy cuts as amazing little art pieces. I couldn't ever imagine wearing one unless it were a more subdued pattern, like waves or something of the like, but they strike me as quite pretty. If someone does have a video, I'd love to see one too, if only out of curiosity :)

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies and opinions, everyone! These sort of munsteiner/dyer-type carving cuts are exactly what I'm trying to learn about. :read: It sounds like many people share my hesitant curiosity.

If i get the stone, I will make a point to post pictures or even a video (I'm terrible about that, but in my defense, I don't personally own a decent camera nor a smart phone). In the meantime, if anyone wants to post a video of a fantasy cut stone, or just describe their impression of the dynamic light return, that would be much appreciated!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really like this type of cutting, and always stop by some of the mentioned cutters while in Tucson to see the stones. There is a lot more time that goes into cutting these fantasy cuts, than a traditional cut. The images above of Jeff Hunts stones are not considered fantasy cuts, they are flat faceting in unique designs. Fantasy cuts have curves, bubbles, grooves all sorts of neat things to them. But this takes time.

Traditional commercially cut stones are measured in minutes, precision cut stones in hours, and fantasy cut stones in days.

You won't take these stones and put a diamond halo around them, they are most often purchased by custom jewelry artist who create spectacular one of kind pieces with them. They then attract a one of kind price. I'm surprised that I have really never seen anyone here on Pricescope buying one.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1397422665|3652860 said:
I really like this type of cutting, and always stop by some of the mentioned cutters while in Tucson to see the stones. There is a lot more time that goes into cutting these fantasy cuts, than a traditional cut. The images above of Jeff Hunts stones are not considered fantasy cuts, they are flat faceting in unique designs. Fantasy cuts have curves, bubbles, grooves all sorts of neat things to them. But this takes time.

Traditional commercially cut stones are measured in minutes, precision cut stones in hours, and fantasy cut stones in days.

You won't take these stones and put a diamond halo around them, they are most often purchased by custom jewelry artist who create spectacular one of kind pieces with them. They then attract a one of kind price. I'm surprised that I have really never seen anyone here on Pricescope buying one.

Some people do. :lol:

John Dyer cut this stone.

dbaa153c0c34fe8f08e67d9d6aa46892_1_.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if someone would consider this a fantasy cut, but it is an enormous sphalerite, which is an extremely soft gemstone, but has one of the highest RI's of any gem, far higher than diamond even. It is set in a piece of jewelry that was designed to not put pressure on the gem, but to protect it, and hold it securely.

This is an amazing video IMO.

http://www.gem-sphalerite.com/images_web/360/jorge-rojas-sphalerite.html

18K gold pendant with 38 ct sphalerite, "Markoh-i-noor" cut designed by Marco Voltolini,
faceted by Egor Gavrilenko (gem-sphalerite.com)
One of our sphalerites mounted in 18K gold pendant by Spanish jeweler Jorge Rojas. He wanted to use this spectacular but soft Spanish stone for his creations and he invented a very original technique for that, using gold rods and laser welding, so the stones don’t suffer any pressure in setting procedure, and the mounting itself protects the soft stones from blows and scratches!

sphalerite-jorge-rojas3_1_.jpg

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Great to hear from someone who is very knowledgeable about this stuff, Gene, thanks for commenting! I might buy one, so maybe there's a minority interest in this kind of cutting on pricescope. Given that few cutters use this style, and they are often snatched up by jewelers, its no wonder few such stones make it into the hands of PSers. PSers love to buy loose so as not to be limited by a jeweler's choice.

I think one of the hallmarks of fantasy cut stone seems to be the use of areas of intentional light-leakage. The carving seems to allow miniature "windowing" areas that are interspersed with angles that reflect light. Please correct me anyone if I'm telling tales outta school here.

You won't take these stones and put a diamond halo around them

Hi TL! My guess is this a cool flat-faceted stone, or maybe a concave cut stone, in the halo you posted--I don't think its a fantasy cut stone. It looks like a busy radiant cut to me. Still, point taken--anything can be haloed--but I'm sure Gene's point is that the more abstract look of fantasy stones lends itself better to a more avant garde design than a halo.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As much as I enjoy the art of fantasy cuts, top colour material is rarely chosen for faceting. Then again, top colour is often too dark to show off the curved lines and bubbles of fantasy cuts well. I see fantasy cuts much like sculpture; it is all about shapes and a different sort of light play.

These do not fall into the category of fantasy cuts, but are interesting nonetheless.
http://www.gemfix.com/gem_intrusion_1.html

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Chrono,

I personally would classify the Gem intrusion stones as a type of fantasy cut (due to the use of carving techniques that are not in the vein of flat or concave faceting). But I could see how one could take them as a sui generis given the use of multiple species in a single stone.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1397475934|3653156 said:
As much as I enjoy the art of fantasy cuts, top colour material is rarely chosen for faceting. Then again, top colour is often too dark to show off the curved lines and bubbles of fantasy cuts well. I see fantasy cuts much like sculpture; it is all about shapes and a different sort of light play.

These do not fall into the category of fantasy cuts, but are interesting nonetheless.
http://www.gemfix.com/gem_intrusion_1.html

I think what you mean is very expensive rough (Ruby, Sapphire) is rarely chosen. This is because these cuts are normally done on larger stones, often over an inch long. Not too common to find a 1 inch long ruby rough. So you need to work with stones that are available in larger sizes such as amethyst, citrine, aquamarine etc. In these, you often see very top color being cut in fantasy cuts. Since the cutter can work with less desirable shapes, they can often buy top color goods, and at a decent price. Cutters doing traditional cuts are always looking for blocky pieces, but a fantasy cutter can work with thinner long piece, and at times for a bubble or something that would cut out an inclusion that would end up in an undesirable place in a traditionally faceted stone.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TL|1397422962|3652864 said:
PrecisionGem|1397422665|3652860 said:

To me, this stone looks way out of place in that setting. But at least the overall shape fits.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1397527321|3653530 said:
I think what you mean is very expensive rough (Ruby, Sapphire) is rarely chosen. This is because these cuts are normally done on larger stones, often over an inch long. Not too common to find a 1 inch long ruby rough. So you need to work with stones that are available in larger sizes such as amethyst, citrine, aquamarine etc. In these, you often see very top color being cut in fantasy cuts. Since the cutter can work with less desirable shapes, they can often buy top color goods, and at a decent price. Cutters doing traditional cuts are always looking for blocky pieces, but a fantasy cutter can work with thinner long piece, and at times for a bubble or something that would cut out an inclusion that would end up in an undesirable place in a traditionally faceted stone.

Gene,
You are correct; I meant that expensive material is rarely chosen. Top colour of amethyst, citrine and aquamarine aren't all that expensive to begin with. Have you seen any such type of cut in more expensive material that comes in larger sizes such as spinel, tsavorite (or lighter green garnet), spessartite, and the like? I've seen sapphires of over 4 carats , so why not those? I am not crazy about wearing a large piece of quartz but would consider a fantasy cut garnet, corundum, spinel, emerald, etc.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes. Check some of they guys famous for this type of cutting and you will see tanzanite, tsavorite sapphire, just not really huge pieces like you see in quartz.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks semi-static to me; the only time the colour "plays" around is when the movement or light hits a bubble or curve, then the picture or sculpture shows a unique blending or distortion effect. Very different and interesting indeed. It's almost like I'm walking a circular path around a shiny metallic sculpture and seeing play tricks on my eyes as it catches and reflects light.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results