shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy Yellow Diamond engagement ring help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gamisou69

Rough_Rock
4.gif
I guess the humor bug got some of these people on this page. Lighten up just a bit. It was a joke! IT was just funny how everyone kept saying to go and look at that site. Some people have been so helpful on this page, and others not so helpful. I guess we will figure it out. THank you for the people that were helpful your suggestions were placed in my memory bank.
20.gif
27.gif
29.gif
33.gif
38.gif
34.gif
31.gif
30.gif
29.gif
19.gif
26.gif
28.gif
25.gif
23.gif
24.gif
18.gif
20.gif
1.gif
2.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ummmmm, actually I don''t see anyone on this page that has not been trying to be helpful to you. if you ask for an opinion, that is what you will get. if you wanted affirmation that you should just buy that diamond without another thought, you should have said so.

the ONLY reason people recommended websites to you is so that you have SOME basis of comparison for the stone that you are looking at, as it is the ONE AND ONLY fancy light yellow that you have seen. diamonds by lauren happens to be fairly well-known here and has a nice, extensive website.

good luck... i hope you find what you are looking for!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Greg and GF!

Generally speaking, the advantages of lower price, and greater selection is why people choose to buy online.
Of course some people are more comfortable in a store situation VS the internet.

I take the time to post here to assist consumers when the question is relevant to my specialties- I hope that my posts have been helpful- if you have further questions about a stone you''ve seen ( if you decide not to buy this one) I''ll be happy to give further opinons.

I think everyone on this thread has great humor- of course you asked a serious question which is how folks responded

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I always find it humorous when folks come around asking for opinions about a stone that they are crazy about and then seem to get peeved when everyone doesn''t jump on the bandwagon and say "YES, IT''S A GREAT VALUE, SNATCH THAT SUCKER UP!!"

If the two of you are convinced that the stone is a good deal and you both like it a lot then what do you need Pricescope for? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as is its value, so plunk down your money and buy that lady her yellow radiant diamond. The nice friendly folks here were just trying to help you find the best value for your money--that is what you were asking for right?

David is the only vendor that posts with regularity who offers a good selection of yellow diamonds with pictures to go along. I am not in the market for a yellow diamond but I enjoy looking and learning over at his site. Window shopping is free as is the knowledge and time presenting it that these vendors give. I for one appreciate all of the good advice that he and some of the others gave. We aren''t paid for our recommendations but were making suggestions as to whom could give you some good solid advice and have something that you could compare your diamond to.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock

I always find it humorous when folks come around asking for opinions about a stone that they are crazy about and then seem to get peeved when everyone doesn''t jump on the bandwagon and say "YES, IT''S A GREAT VALUE, SNATCH THAT SUCKER UP!!"

If the two of you are convinced that the stone is a good deal and you both like it a lot then what do you need Pricescope for? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as is its value, so plunk down your money and buy that lady her yellow radiant diamond.

Exactly! You asked for honest opinions about whether the stone was a good value, and you got them. If you are going to remain convinced that the stone is a good buy no matter what anyone says, then why ask?

No one is arguing that the stone isn''t pretty because none of us have seen it, it''s simply a question of whether it''s a good buy for the $. A lot of the comments directing you to Diamonds By Lauren just mentioned that it was a good site to price compare, and look at pictures of similar stones.

If you love the stone and it''s worth the $ TO YOU and you don''t care to do a lot of research and price comparison, then just buy it. If you want to educate yourself, and spend a lot of time and energy looking and shopping around, then you''ll have total piece of mind that you both love the ring and got a great deal on a stone that has great specs on paper as well as pleases your eye.

You can''t have it both ways! It''s either just buy what you want and don''t question it and be happy with it, or do a lot of leg work and rest assured that you made an informed decision.

I just personally wouldn''t want to buy anything that was represented as something it wasn''t, as a matter of principle. Even if it''s pretty and I can afford it. If I wanted a say P-T colored, SI2 or I1 diamond, I''d look for one specifically and buy it. But I wouldn''t want to buy something being sold as a "Fancy Light Yellow" diamond if it is really isn''t even a fancy at all, and I definitely wouldn''t want to pay for something as if it were a FLY when it wasn''t.

Yes, it''s all subjective, and there are clearly 2 different definitions of FLY out there from the 2 different labs. But point is, if you''re paying the same price for an EGL certed FLY stone as you would for a GIA certed FLY stone, you''re getting a stone that is very likely much less saturated (and clarity may be off too), and would be graded very differently and subsequently would have to be sold for much cheaper if it were sent to the GIA.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
DBL wasn't particularly helpful when we were looking for a yellow stone a while back. Much less helpful I thought than some of the other online folks here.

Ultimately it was a great local jeweler who delivered the goods
1.gif

So, I was quite put off by the chorus of folks here telling you to shop online without knowing anything about the stone you found locally. Shame.

However, I do agree wholeheartedly, with the advice against purchasing a fancy color diamond here in the US without a GIA color report.

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
GregFarz,

Perhaps my e-ring experience may help you. At least it has the perspective of time.

I got engaged close to 20 years ago (EGAD!!!). My fiance was clerking for a federal judge, so we were new to the area. The judge recommended his jeweler. It is a highly reputable store. We ultimately purchased my e-ring there. BUT I was not very knowledgeable.

The jeweler told me GIA certs just made stones more expensive and were irrelevant. He also told me my stone was a "fine color F to G" and "fine clarity VS1." The ring was made and sent to me cross country. I brought the ring in to a reputable jeweler. He appraised the stone to be G / VS2. He also said I did not overpay for the ring. The grading was ultimately reconfirmed when I had the stone re-set and appraised by Martin Fuller and Associates, a highly regarded appraiser in the Washington DC area.

Do I love my e-ring -- Yes absolutely.
Was the original jeweler candid with me about my stone -- No.
Am I upset about it -- alittle. I wish I had the correct infromation at the time, so I could have made a more informed decision.

That''s why this forum is so important.

I am also gathering information, establishing what I want / budget for a yellow diamond (right-hand) ring.
I have checked out at least 15-20 bricks and mortars stores. Everything from Tiffany''s to pawn shops that I know deal in high-end merch. I''ve also extensively checked out ebay/Web vendors. Here is as best a comparison as I could find.

B&M store. Highly regarded with expensive designers. The kind of place that takes out large ads in Town and Country Magazine and the Washington Post Magazine, so their advertising and media budget''s got to be HUGE. (I deal with media buying in my profession.)

B&M Ring Specs:
GIA Certified Oval Modified Brilliant
2.57 carat (9.92 x 6.99 x 4.46)
Depth 63.8%
Table 69%
VS1
Fancy Light Yellow
Very Good Polish
Very Good Symetry
Side Stones E/F VVS1, VVS2 .56 carat total weight
Platinum/18K mounting

Price $34,500 plus tax

I found a comparable stone at Diamonds by Lauren on ebay. You can view the auction at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10214&item=4967266743&rd=1

BBLRing Specs:
EGL Certified Oval Modified Brilliant
2.74 carat (10.08 x 7.28  x 4.87 mm)
Depth 66.9%%
Table 58%
VVS1
Y/Z color
Good Polish
Good Symetry
Stone Price $12,995
Mounting Price 4,700
Side Stones TBD but would be larger than the B&M and probably around VS in clarity
Platinum/18K mounting
Total Ring Cost $17,695

I know that there are some differences between the stones. W/X vs. FLY, GIA vs. EGL, 2.57 vs. 2.74.....
Is it worth $17,000????

When I am ready to buy, I am going to check out reputable Web vendors--Dirt Cheap Diamonds, Scheiner and DBL. I will make an informed decision. Then take the stone to Leon Mege to make my dream ring.
30.gif

All that being said, sometimes a piece of jewelry just calls to you...
Whatever decision you make, both you and your fiance have to be comfortable with it. Remember it''s your relationship that counts the most. Diamonds are just icing on the cake.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results