shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy Yellow Diamond engagement ring help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GregFarz

Rough_Rock
Went shopping around this weekend for engagement rings and my g/f took a liking to a fancy yellow diamond ring. Unfortunately I didnt write down all the specs but I got most of them...

light fancy yellow
GIA cert
0.96 carat
SI1
Blue Fluores.
Depth/Table ?
$2750

I''m calling back on monday to get the rest of the specs but does this price sound about right? I''m trying look online to find comparable pricing but its hard to find online stores that carry yellow diamonds. Only place I looked was icestore.com and from what I can tell it seems like a good deal.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
What shape is the diamond? Go check out DirtCheapDiamonds and Diamonds by Lauren, they may have something you''re interested in.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would skip the blue fluorescence; "faint" is just not there, "medium"... whatever, but "strong" would swamp quite a bit of the yellow color. It shows more than on colorless.

There must be allot of fancy light yellow to choose from, including some without fluorescence.

What size is this (milimeters, not carats) ? Ofte these radiants are cut quite deep (= small). I wouldn't venture with a range of depth & table because color is key here and slightly different rules apply than for colorless. If the cut manages to deepen the color, that's the best it can do. Fancy light is definitely light enough for fire to stand out... but, color is still king, I'd say.

Just IMO, of course.

34.gif
Perhaps these sound interesting:

At DCD:
2753271 Radiant 0.91 Fancy Yellow SI1 GIA $3,501 65.9 60 5.44x5.42x3.57
"Fancy yellow" should be a deeper shade, SI is usually safe and the numbers sound good: at least size for weight is there and, hopefully, the smaller table brings up contrast (good for color) and fire.

At DiamondsByLauren.com there are two pages of "special buys" - light yellows around 1 carat. Some very nicely shaped. There are better colors than this on the website as well. Including this color chart page : worth a look even if the shop is not what you want. "Fancy light yellow" with some blue fluorescence thrown in would probably look a grade lower (Y-Z) most of the time. And prices for those are even better.

You might want to try Fancydiamonds.net. If anything, there some less common shapes to consider. Some quite lovely
4.gif

0.45ct338Abig-e.jpg

GregFarz

Rough_Rock
Ooops I forgot the most important part its a radiant cut. I''m kind of hesitant about making a purchase like this online I''d rather go to a reputable shop near me.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2005 11:51:23 AM
Author: GregFarz
Ooops I forgot the most important part its a radiant cut. I''m kind of hesitant about making a purchase like this online I''d rather go to a reputable shop near me.
Unless the one shop has allot of diamonds to show, you might want to look around a bit. The fancy color grades are quuite wide, and prices should follow the intensity of color. Looking at just one "fancy light" there''s no way to imagine what else there is out there: online or off
15.gif

Now, of course you do not have to start shopping the net. As long as some shun it, prices stay nice for the rest of us
2.gif

Anyway, joke aside: online or off, it really helps to get some options if you have not already.

PS: perhaps that post of mine about fluorescence is a bit harsh. You can definitely see what it does to the particular stone if you can see it in sunlight (that''s one light source with enough UV content to make fluorescence "work" in diamonds. Most artificial lights have some - but it is hard to know what exactly does the one available)

Best of luck !
35.gif

GregFarz

Rough_Rock
I am just so confused the diamond looked really nice in the plat setting I just wanted to know if the price was good or if that is over priced for those specs. I do not want to get ripped off and I want a nice ring for my girl. My budget is under $5000 so the darker fancy yellows are out of my price range. I''m not really shunning online purchases I buy online all the time but something like this I''d rather have the convience of taking it back to where I bought it to make adjustments, additions, etc. My g/f is anti online sites she''d rather see it in her hand to compare. I''d rather not have to ship diamond rings back and forth 20 times till she finds the one she likes lol

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/13/2005 11
6.gif
8:38 AM
Author:GregFarz
Went shopping around this weekend for engagement rings and my g/f took a liking to a fancy yellow diamond ring. Unfortunately I didnt write down all the specs but I got most of them...

light fancy yellow
GIA cert
0.96 carat
SI1
Blue Fluores.
Depth/Table ?
$2750

I'm calling back on monday to get the rest of the specs but does this price sound about right? I'm trying look online to find comparable pricing but its hard to find online stores that carry yellow diamonds. Only place I looked was icestore.com and from what I can tell it seems like a good deal.
Hi Greg:

There are many nuances to fancy color grading and it is a different market from traditional Round Brilliants all together. Fancy color diamonds are cut to maximize their color. DiamondsbyLauren which has already been mentioned has a great website and good photos illustrating fancy diamond color and quality.

You state you don't quite feel comfortable shopping on-line. Give Dave a call and see what he might have available. I have dealt with him in the past and he is a very nice guy with extensive inventory and experience in this business. You might be able to score a better deal?

What was the diamond shape radiant, princess...etc....???

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Greg,

As far as Radiants go I agree with the others about diamondsbylauren.com . The website has some great pictures of Radiant cuts (among other cuts) and fancy yellow diamonds. David is very well versed on Radiants!
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2005 12:10:4 PM
I am just so confused the diamond looked really nice in the plat setting I just wanted to know if the price was good
I price looks pretty good, actually. At least compared to whatever I know online and off.

Given the weight just under 1 carat, you may have got the size ( I obviously do not know it, but you do) with the last $500 or so discounted. That's good news if anything is
2.gif

If weight didn't actually bring the price down, fluorescence did.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a beauty from David''s website. (I hope it is ok for me to post this David!) This one is .92ct VS1, $2799.

92b.jpg

GregFarz

Rough_Rock
I checked out that website seems to have a good comparison for me I feel a little better about the price after comparing some similiar diamonds. Thanks.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2005 12:10
6.gif
4 PM
I just wanted to know if the price was good or if that is over priced for those specs.

Greg, $2750 for a well cut Light Fancy Yellow SI1 radiant cut doesn''t seem unreasonable at first glance.

Make the sale contingent upon the diamond appraising out to your satisfaction with an independent appraiser, and you can''t lose.

amytude

Shiny_Rock
I can understand your hesitancy about buying online. However, you can always buy the stone online and the setting at a local store near you (which is what I''m doing). Do whatever you are most comfortable doing. BTW, I just love a radiant with a fancy color!!!!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/13/2005 11
6.gif
8:38 AM
Author:GregFarz

light fancy yellow
GIA cert
0.96 carat
SI1
Blue Fluores.
Depth/Table ?
$2750

I''m calling back on monday to get the rest of the specs but does this price sound about right? I''m trying look online to find comparable pricing but its hard to find online stores that carry yellow diamonds. Only place I looked was icestore.com and from what I can tell it seems like a good deal.
Hi Greg-

Congratulations!!

It sounds as though you''ve found a very good deal. In my opinion the price you got is very competitive for a well cut stone with a GIA report.
In general, people can''t find these stones to compare. There''s just not that many out there- most stores don''t even have one Fancy Light Yellow- forget about a bunch to choose from.
SO- If you''ve seen the diamond, and you love it, you should go ahead!
I am so gratified by evetyone''s recommendations- it''s truly appreciated.
Icelady- I am flattered by the use of my photos- thank you all!

Let''s go over a couple of things about light yelow, and darker yellows and fluoroescence.
Generally, on grades of Fancy Light Yellow, Fancy Yellow, and Fancy Intense yellow a stone with medium or srtong blue actually will look one shade darker in room lighting. Sunlight may change the way such stones appear. So- if GIA gives Strong or Medium Blue, it seems they are slightly tougher on the color grade- ie- a stone that''s dark enough to make Fancy Intense based on indoor lighting, yet it has stong blue, GIA isssues a Fancy Yellow Grade.

Happy Valentines

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2005 6:11:32 PM
Author: diamondsbylauren

Let''s go over a couple of things about light yelow, and darker yellows and fluoroescence.
Generally, on grades of Fancy Light Yellow, Fancy Yellow, and Fancy Intense yellow a stone with medium or srtong blue actually will look one shade darker in room lighting. Sunlight may change the way such stones appear. So- if GIA gives Strong or Medium Blue, it seems they are slightly tougher on the color grade- ie- a stone that''s dark enough to make Fancy Intense based on indoor lighting, yet it has stong blue, GIA isssues a Fancy Yellow Grade.
... which means color grading is done under light with some fluorescence ? Or is this just GIA policy and grader common sense ?
33.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
I am reaqlly not certain what other methods GIA uses- but a flourescent lamp with special neutral bulbs- "day-lite" is commonly used to look at diamonds.
Although it is a fluorescnent lamp it does not trigger flouresence in diamonds.

There''s no rule- it is just my observation that GIA is tougher on Fancy Color diamodns with Strong or Medium Fl- some collegues have made the same comment.

GregFarz

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your objective opinion david, yes I have found it hard to compare this stone most of the stores we went shopping for a diamond didnt have a single yellow diamond in stock, your website helpe though. This hard to find diamond played a huge part in my g/f wanting a yellow diamond b/c its somewhat unique not many girls have one and she likes to be different
1.gif

gamisou69

Rough_Rock
Hi this is gregfarz girlfriend i went back to the store and got more stats on the ring that he is talking about
this is a natural ring with no inhancements
the blue flour. is weak blue
the depth is a 67.7 and the measurements are 5.66x 5.92x 3.67
the table is 80%
the polish is good and
it has a slight to thick facet

THe lady made a mistake on the clarity it is really a SI2 not an SI1 and it is EGL
cert.

thanks for the help
31.gif
30.gif
26.gif
25.gif
18.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Greg- that is a horse of a different color.
There''s quite a difference between the GIA graded stone which you weref irst offered to this one.

With all due respect to EGL- they are not very capable in the area of light yellow diamonds.So now we have no idea of the value of the diamond

gamisou69

Rough_Rock
Why is it a horse of a different color i dont understand i mean it is certif. and i got her to write on the lay away slip nautral no enhancements

so now one can help with this stone

PS i called around to some stores and a guy told me a stone of all those specs he couldn;t let go for under 3750 so anymore info would be helpful

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given EGL and SI2 ... I would not consider this such a good deal. This, following the belief that those grades are comparable with GIA W-X color and SI2-I1 clarity.

I can''t say I am much of afan of 80% table either - that''s ice-skating big and would look flat (to me) set in prongs.

Well, I guess this is not what you wanted to hear
7.gif

Just IMO, of course.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Why is it a horse of a different color i dont understand i mean it is certif. and i got her to write on the lay away slip nautral no enhancements

People are saying it''s a horse of a different color because the EGL is not a reputable lab when it comes to grading Fancy Yellow''s. It''s not that there''s a risk this isn''t a genuine, natural colored diamond - it''s just that they are much less strict in their grading of these stones. So, like Val said, their "Fancy Light Yellow" is not the same as GIA''s "FLY".

It''s true that this is probably actually a W-Z colored diamond, and the clarity is probably also different from how GIA would characterize it.

So, you''ve seen the stone, you like it - it''s not that there''s anything all of the sudden WRONG with the stone, it''s just that before people were evaluating the price you were quoted based on thinking it was GIA certified to be those grades. It''s the $ the stone is worth and whether you''re getting a good deal for what it is that''s different in light of the fact that it''s not GIA certified.

I''ve ALWAYS heard that for fancy colored diamonds GIA is the only reputable lab. For colorless diamonds I''d prefer AGS because they offer more cut info, but for FY''s it''s a different ball game.

Have you looked at the site www.scheinerdiamonds.com? They have a big variety of fancy yellow and light yellow rings already assembled, they''re all GIA certed, and have good return policies. Even if you don''t want to buy online, it''s a good place to price compare.

Natural yellow diamonds in the U-Z range (not "fancy light") should be much cheaper than fancy light yellows.

Diamondsbylauren always has a selection of these that they buy in bulk, and they''re priced for what they are, not as if they were fancy light yellows.

I remember a woman who posted on "Show Me The Ring" a U-W colored (can''t remember exactly) yellow radiant ring from his site that was SO pretty!

gamisou69

Rough_Rock
thank your for all the help that everyone is providing but now you are confusing us much more. There are more then just gia that are good at certif. diamonds. We are not buying on line even thought everyone wants us to go to diamonds by lauren
sounds like everyone gets a discount if they send people there lol jk
31.gif
28.gif
19.gif
26.gif
41.gif

not sure what to say i guess we have to make our own decision about the stone

GregFarz

Rough_Rock
God damn this is depressing I almost wish I was stupid and didnt know anything about diamonds at all the more I learn the more confusing it gets
7.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2005 12:24:58 PM
Author: gamisou69
No I don't
7.gif
There were just a couple of fancy yellows talked about on this forum recently, and David of DBL is the one seller who posts about these stones locally. So... there is some bias allright: I don't know 100 sources.

Price does depend on the type of lab report online or not... I don't think you should buy online or not. I could not sound too enthusiastic about a diamond I have not seen (you did) and know little about - only what you have posted. It seemed odd that you were not given any choice.
20.gif

I am sorry my posts were confusing in any way. I am no expert. My intention has been to read between the lines of the diamond description to the best of my ability. If any harm was done, it was not intended.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2005 12:28:13 PM
God damn this is depressing I almost wish I was stupid and didnt know anything about diamonds at all the more I learn the more confusing it gets
7.gif

That's how I felt. Don't worry. You'll get through it. Only way out is to be organized. I started a little cheat sheet scrap of paper. Basically, notes I made to myself. As you add more, you reread your previous notes and it'll eventually sink in.

And yes, the different reports matter. GIA and AGS are the accepted standards b/c they're strict and reliable w/ their grading. AGS is popular w/ round diamonds b/c they give a grade for teh cut. GIA doesn't (yet). EGL has a rep for not being as strict so their F color diamond might actually be a G color according to the GIA or it may be a F. For a confused shopper like me, all I needed to know is don't bother with EGL cuz it just gets too confusing. On my notes, I wrote "GIA or AGS, no EGL and other."

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2005 12:24:58 PM
Author: gamisou69
We are not buying on line even thought everyone wants us to go to diamonds by lauren
31.gif
28.gif
19.gif
26.gif
41.gif

not sure what to say i guess we have to make our own decision about the stone
Joking or not, you have hit a hot button with many of us by making this statement. NO ONE gets a discount for helping you by suggesting you talk to someone on the forum with years of experience with Radiant diamonds. David has been gracious in taking his time to comment on a subject with which he is VERY familiar, to help you. As always, it is up to you what you do with any advise given in good faith to help you make an informed decision. If you read the forum rules you will see that payment of any kind for suggesting a particular company is not permitted.

I know that you and your bf are at the frustrated stage right now. We have all been there. You need to sort out what criteria is the most important to you and let your eyes be the final judge. Just my opinion, but I would try to see as many fancy light yellow Radiant cuts as I could before making the final decision. Unfortunately, you have chosen a type of diamond that is not abundantly available for viewing which is why many of us suggested you talk to or look at the Diamonds by Lauren website.

Good luck with your search.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
First- I'd like to repeiat how flattered I am that people have reccomended us.
But let's be totally clear- we don't pay people for this, nor are we even a sponser here on Pricescope. Thank you Icelady - for expessing what you did.

Lets talk about confusion.
Say a guy goes into the Toyota store and they convince him he's buying a Porsche.
He's all happy till he does a little research, and finds the difference between the two cars. So he calls back the Toyota Store-
"Oh did I say Porsche- I meant Prius."

in my book such confusion is bred by a dealer who:
1) does not understand what they are selling ( best case)
2) is trying to pull something

You might assume that an EGL Fancy Light Yellow is a W-X or so ( knid of like the way dealers assume EGL G is GIA H color)- but in this category, EGL's really out of the loop- so far out that no such assumption can be made.

greg- sorry if this is confusing- if the guy buys the Toyota, and no one ever tells him it's not a Porsche- is he better off?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results