shape
carat
color
clarity

EXPERTS- Please help me with a decision.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dsulvett

Rough_Rock
Ok, first thank you for taking your time to answer, i appreciate it!!!

ok, i just bought my girl a Tacori Ring...of course there is no center stone in it, so we went to the jewelers to buy a center stone today...here is what they gave us...(please go easy on my, im nervous enough and just want to know if i made a fair purchase)...

EGL Ceritified...im not sure where from, lets say South Africa...but i dont know for sure...maybe Paris???

Weight; 0.80 Cts.
Shape and Cut; Princess
Meas; 5.25 - 4.72x3.77mm

Proportions:

Total Depth; 79.9%
Table Width; 77%
Crown Height; 10%
Pavilion Depth; 62%
Girdle Thickness; Thick, Polished

Finish

Polish; Good
Symmetry; Good
Culet; None

Clarity Grade; VS1

Graining; Nil

Colr Grade: H

Flouresence; None

Comments: -"DiaScript" on Girdle <----WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?????????

List price was $5100, I paid $3600 USD...please go easy here....i dont want to get sick to my stomach,,, all i want to know is if i was treated fairly...i dont need an INCREDIBLE deal, just fair....

Thank you!

dsulvett

Rough_Rock
please???? anyone with knowledge....im going to pick it up tuesday morn....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t know too much about princesses, but curious as to why you think that the diamond is from South Africa OR Paris?

Check the size, color, clarity and specs against the PS search engine to see how you did, but hopefully someone who knows more about squares can chime in.

I will say that my first choice would not be an EGL certed diamond...did you see other diamonds to compare it to or was there just one etc?

dsulvett

Rough_Rock
Thank you...ok... the EGL....thats what they showed me and it sure looked beautiful, i did not know that the GIA was better...so thats a non issue to me...i know it may be important...

I dont know where it is from but the EGL appraisal makes a difference where it comes from...thats what i just read somewhere so i threw that in.... ya see, i know nothing about this...

I already looked on this site for a comparrison and couldnt get close enough...can anyone help with the specs i gave?????

Thank you...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just did a quick PS search and found ~15 diamonds that are between .79c and .82c that are H VS1 princess cut...the average was about $2500 with varying specs...but you can use that average to determine how you did.

Here are some red flags I see on this diamond...

Thick Girdle
Good/Good polish and symm but that is not unheard of with fancies
The stone is not square
EGL Cert not my first choice
Higher price, $1k more than internet on a $3k stone is a pretty steep markup

One other thought. Many of the stones that came up on the PS search were GIA certified stones. EGL certificate usually carries a discount with it as compared to an AGS or GIA certed stone, so this stone should be even cheaper than these other $2000-3000 GIA certed stones. So the overpayment may be more like $1500 or more.

My two cents...as for how you did, that is entirely up to you and how much you adore this diamond, you did say it was beautiful which is great, but you asked for thoughts. Hopefully others will chime in as well with their thoughts. Good luck!!

dsulvett

Rough_Rock
mara, thank you.... id like to get more thoughts because i do feel kinda ripped off...i just bought a 5,000 Breitling from them too....but i got an excellent price, so i trusted them...

i paid 3600 for it(diamond), the reason i did not feel like the PS diamonds were close is because i saw the thickness and table depth was differnet, (amongst other things) so i thought this diamond was bigger....???? and with diamonds i though that a fraction in size would make a big difference....

i would like more thoughts on this stone, and thank you mara... i do fell a bit abused....(not because of what you said)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope researcher or belle can chime in here. They know princess cuts very well. But I ditto everything Mara said....
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are various things that can make a diamond look larger or smaller...

a large depth or a thick girdle especially.

fancies are soooo subjective, you can''t really go off the numbers...if you feel like your diamond is beautiful, that is great, but maybe you can get a bit more of a discount on it? esp armed with the knowledge from PS.

here is a diamond that looks really stunning from the images and that idealscope is a firecracker. it''s a 5.21mm square princess 1c E SI2 for about $4200. Just as a comparison.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_00ct_e_si2_princess.htm

dsulvett

Rough_Rock
kaleigh and mara... you are both awesome thank you for your help... i especially liked that last comparrison mara.... 1ct for 4200? when i paid 3600 for .80 and the other %''s are larger too on your diamond....

ok, if those people that you asked to chime in can help me...i need to go in with some real strong knowledge when i pick it up tomorrow..(tuesday morning)...

i dont get it... my wife just bought me a Breitling there and i bought her Tacori there...you would think they would be fair....especially when they know we love nice jewelery????

i hope for more dead on help... again thank you for your help...

dsulvett

Rough_Rock
here is one i found that maybe close, what are the differences between this and mine...i dont know what table depth and all that means...

I found this on this website...

0.80 G VS1 66.9% 70% GIA med-thk sm vg ex no 5.27x5.08x3.40 $5101 $4081*SF

my stones rings are higher% depth but i dontknow if that is good or not...

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Hi

A disclaimer...I do not know a lot about princess cut stones. However, it seems to me as if you are struggeling with the concept of spread, please forgive me if I am wrong.

Ideally, you would want a diamond that is well cut and that would imply a good spread. Spread means how big the diamond appears, i.e. length x width.
If the depth % is too deep, the stone will carry all her weight in the bottom half and she will appear smaller from the top.
If however the depth % is too small, the stone will be shallow and may not have a lot of light return and may not look "alive"
If the girdle is too thin - especially with rectangular cuts, it may be fragile and prone to chipping.
If however it is too thick, the stone may carry a lot of weight in the girdle area and appear smaller.
The % of the table will also influence the performance, but I am not sure how.

Here is a good tutorial: Fancy Shaped Diamonds
And if you want a guideline on what is considered a good cut, see this AGA Cut Class, just choose princess in the drop down menu.

But, as with all fancy shapes, you have to see the diamond in person and if you like it, don''t worry too much about the numbers.

Maya

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2005 8:26:19 PM
Author: dsulvett
i dont know what table depth and all that means...
If you go to the top of this page and click on "Knowledge" and then "Tutorial," you will learn all you want about diamonds. Also try searching old posts to learn more at princess cuts specifically.

My concerns about your diamond are the same as Mara''s. However, you saw the diamond, and if it looked beautiful to you and you liked it enough to buy it on the spot as you did, then I wouldn''t second guess yourself. But I must say the table is very big and the depth is also a bit deep. So with the deep depth and the thick girdle, you are definitely losing some size.

If you want more guidance on princess cuts, I would look at www.gemappraisers.com. Click on the left side of the page that says "Old DIY Cut Grading." Then select princess cut. Remember, for fancy shapes, these numbers are guidelines, not rules.

dsulvett

Rough_Rock
wow.. thank you...im so confused about this because i am not one who likes to get ripped off...i beleive i paid too much, about 1,000 too much, i beleive in being fair, everyone needs to make money, but im being mad a fool of here....the more i look into this, the worse it gets, i just want to bluenile.com and they blow my price away for a comparable stone...ice.com(?) also destroyed the price...

i beleive i should have only paid about 2600 usd for this stone TOPS...... i didnt pick up the ring yet and im wondering if i have any negotiating power... i paid for this already though...

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
SNAP Rascal!
9.gif

Dsulvett, please remember that price comparison between brick and mortar jewelry stores and internet vendors like Blue Nile is like comparing apples to oranges...even though they are selling the same commodity, the costs involved, like paying rent for a store, are different.

Maya

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2005 9:48:01 PM
wow.. thank you...im so confused about this because i am not one who likes to get ripped off...i beleive i paid too much, about 1,000 too much, i beleive in being fair, everyone needs to make money, but im being mad a fool of here....the more i look into this, the worse it gets, i just want to bluenile.com and they blow my price away for a comparable stone...ice.com(?) also destroyed the price...

i beleive i should have only paid about 2600 usd for this stone TOPS...... i didnt pick up the ring yet and im wondering if i have any negotiating power... i paid for this already though...
Well, just remember that a B&M store charges more in order to provide a storefront, pay employees, etc. However, I''m not saying that $1,000 is worth this. Is there any return policy on the diamond?

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
SNAP again Rascal
9.gif
We sure do think alike tonight!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2005 9:52:32 PM
Author: Maya Moonstone
SNAP again Rascal
9.gif
We sure do think alike tonight!
LOL!

dsulvett

Rough_Rock
Thank you rascal 2B was the fianl grade of this stone..

i guess im looking for someone to say... "you got ripped off" (if i really did)....but everyone is so nice, that no one will say that to me...i want to be able to go back to the store and tell them "i paid too much" and not look like a fool BEFORE i pick the ring up...

i know now that i paid too much, atleast i think i did... but hey, i dont know anything about this..

iF YOU REALLY FEEL I WAS TREATED FAIRLY, someone just hit me with it please.....

Thank you

dsulvett

Rough_Rock
Well, just remember that a B&M store charges more in order to provide a storefront, pay employees, etc. However, I''m not saying that $1,000 is worth this. Is there any return policy on the diamond?

Rascal, thanks again...1,000 is way too much for bricks and mortar....i would be ok with a 700 refund...i need to look at their policy, remember, i didnt take delivery yet...

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2005 9:55:56 PM

i guess im looking for someone to say... ''you got ripped off'' (if i really did)....but everyone is so nice, that no one will say that to me...i want to be able to go back to the store and tell them ''i paid too much'' and not look like a fool BEFORE i pick the ring up...

i know now that i paid too much, atleast i think i did... but hey, i dont know anything about this..

iF YOU REALLY FEEL I WAS TREATED FAIRLY, someone just hit me with it please.....

Thank you
Well, let me just say this....if this were me, I would try to get out of the transaction. I would ask to look at other stones that have a better cut or purchase online. Or at the very least, I would want to get a discount.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2005 10:35:22 PM
Author: Rascal49

i guess im looking for someone to say... ''you got ripped off'' (if i really did)....but everyone is so nice, that no one will say that to me...i want to be able to go back to the store and tell them ''i paid too much'' and not look like a fool BEFORE i pick the ring up...

Thank you
Well, let me just say this....if this were me, I would try to get out of the transaction. I would ask to look at other stones that have a better cut or purchase online. Or at the very least, I would want to get a discount.
I agree. I hope this doesnt sound obnoxious, but... you would be a lot better off if you had done this research before making this large purchase! I think you may be out of luck because you have already paid and had the stone set. However, you never know what you might be able to negotiate! I would bring in printouts of comparable stones that cost less. Remind them that you have already spent thousands at their store and that you hope to continue doing business with them in the future.
If you cannot negotiate, don''t let it ruin your satisfaction with the purchase.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2005 11:03:59 PM
Author: gailrmv

Date: 12/26/2005 10:35:22 PM
Author: Rascal49

i guess im looking for someone to say... 'you got ripped off' (if i really did)....but everyone is so nice, that no one will say that to me...i want to be able to go back to the store and tell them 'i paid too much' and not look like a fool BEFORE i pick the ring up...

Thank you
I agree. I hope this doesnt sound obnoxious, but... you would be a lot better off if you had done this research before making this large purchase! I think you may be out of luck because you have already paid and had the stone set. However, you never know what you might be able to negotiate! I would bring in printouts of comparable stones that cost less. Remind them that you have already spent thousands at their store and that you hope to continue doing business with them in the future.
If you cannot negotiate, don't let it ruin your satisfaction with the purchase.
DITTO Gail....honestly I always wonder why people find PS after they have slapped down money on a stone and then want validation or help??? Do the google search BEFORE, people!!

DSulvett...I would see if you could get out of the transaction and spend some time really figuring out what makes a beautiful and affordable stone. Shop online or offline, but at least shop educated. Not after the fact.

BUT if you really love this stone, then just see if you can get some of the money back armed now with what you know.

Bottom line is that I don't think anyone would say you got ripped off unless you said you paid $10k for this stone and it was really worth $2500. Yes you paid alot more, but if you love the stone, try to get the price down and then maybe you will go away happy. But if it was me, knowing that there is so much more out there than what you saw...I would be intrigued enough to cancel the transaction and really educate myself again before attempting to purchase.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Have you seen the diamond with your own eyes?? It''s measurements (length to width) looks like it''ll be rectangular. I definitely am no expert here but it looks like that to me.

dsulvett

Rough_Rock
Hello;
Thanks to all of you for your help...

OK, the REASON i didnt do RESEARCH BEFORE i went to the jewelers is that I DIDNT KNOW WE WERE BUYING A DIAMOND.

We both have busy jobs, cant take time off and it was wierd that we both had the same day off. Her old ring had a beautiful stone in it already, we were going to put that in the Tacori....well it was too small, the stones they showed us looked beautiful...so we negotiated it down, im stupid.....

We were there, we knew we wouldnt have the tme to go back, they got me....

The thing is, we had just bought a Breitling from them and a tacori, so we already spent $8,000 with them that week...i KNOW i got a great price on the Breitling and Tacori, no one could touch there price on each, (not even the internet)...

i trusted them and i got screwed...thank you all, I didnt take delivery but it was set....so im going to try to get money back....
29.gif

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2005 8:16:42 AM
Hello;
Thanks to all of you for your help...

OK, the REASON i didnt do RESEARCH BEFORE i went to the jewelers is that I DIDNT KNOW WE WERE BUYING A DIAMOND.

We both have busy jobs, cant take time off and it was wierd that we both had the same day off. Her old ring had a beautiful stone in it already, we were going to put that in the Tacori....well it was too small, the stones they showed us looked beautiful...so we negotiated it down, im stupid.....

We were there, we knew we wouldnt have the tme to go back, they got me....

The thing is, we had just bought a Breitling from them and a tacori, so we already spent $8,000 with them that week...i KNOW i got a great price on the Breitling and Tacori, no one could touch there price on each, (not even the internet)...

i trusted them and i got screwed...thank you all, I didnt take delivery but it was set....so im going to try to get money back....
29.gif
You''re not stupid, you were just trying to do a nice thing for your lady and got caught up in the moment like so many of us do. Go back to the store armed with information, and like gailrmv said, it would be smart to take printouts with you of comparable stones that cost less. Hopefully you can at least negotioate a discount, and then go home feeling good because you got some money back and your lady got a gorgeous ring!! Good luck!!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Dsulvett,

I don''t think that paying $1000 more then you should have means you should be tarred and feathered! Now if it was $3000-4000, then it would have been a different story. You went with a store that you were really comfortable with, and that gave you a good price/service on previous merchandise. You had established a relationship with them and trusted them to give you the best price they could, nothing wrong with that, and MAYBE (I haven''t a clue about the inner workings of stores) that IS the best price they could give you, but online stores can give you better based on the way they are run.

So if you are now unhappy with the purchase, then try to get out of the transaction, then come back on the forum and the people on this forum will help you find a beautiful stone. If you can''t get out of the purchase, then don''t beat yourself over it. The important thing is that you have a diamond you find beautiful, that makes you happy.

dsulvett

Rough_Rock
you people are great....i will post back after i go to a differnet jeweler with the certification in hand...i wil let you know what they say....

Thanks ALL!!!!

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Dsullevet,
I think your being a wee bit over dramatic here. I don''t think you were ripped off at all. You can''t compare a B & M store price was to what you''ll find on the internet. You will not find those prices at any B & M store! I was in a situation recently where I tried doing the same thing and you have to realize there is just NO comparison....I was looking at a .70, ideal cut, H S12 at a B&M for about 2,900 and I ended up getting a diamond from James Allen that was LARGER (.83) BETTER in color (G) and same clairty and ideal cut as well for $100 cheaper. That same stone in the B&M I was looking at would of been about $500 more. That doesn''t mean that it wasn''t fairly priced....it was priced proportionate to thier stock AND it was still a GOOD stone. Sometimes I think if your going to buy from a B&M you''d be better off not even comparing internet prices! Just remember all the stuff stores need to pay for....the building.....employees....ect. That mark up needs to go somewhere...just because it has a few specs off of PERFECT and it''s more than it would be online doesn''t mean that it isn''t a GOOD stone. Personally I would of wanted GIA or AGS cert...when you pick this up could you ask if it could be appraised by an independent appraiser? I think you said you were getting it today....do they have a return policy where you can appraise it and return it if you find it''s not what ELG certified it as?

dsulvett

Rough_Rock
im not sure if i can return it after appraisal....i dont think im being dramatic one bit... when you get charged 3600 for a stone and see it for 2300 on the internet...the only think dramatic is the mark up.... B&M??? over $1000 no way, and i thik most people would agree with me... however you made me fell a little better about it

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad I didn''t mean you were being dramatic in a bad way......i spaz out all the time....i''d probably be doing the same exact thing as you! I was trying to make you feel better so i''m glad it helped and I will agree even for mark up that is quite a bit. So do you have the stone? I didn''t know if I read correctly were you picking it up today?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results