shape
carat
color
clarity

Ethnic food

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Outside America, is American food ethnic food?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lidl the discount supermarket chain in UK has an American-themed food promotion from time to time, offering items such as cookies, chips, peanut puffs, Cheetos, pancakes, syrups, ice creams, mixed starters like wings and loaded potato skins, burgers and other Tex Mex food items.

So yes I'd say.

DK :))

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lidl the discount supermarket chain in UK has an American-themed food promotion from time to time, offering items such as cookies, chips, peanut puffs, Cheetos, pancakes, syrups, ice creams, mixed starters like wings and loaded potato skins, burgers and other Tex Mex food items.

So yes I'd say.

That's so embarrassing We're known for "tailgate" food.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have an ethnic section in the supermarkets here
UK and American foods get a bit of a look in
We don't get anywhere near all the Pringles varieties here
But Its kind of a cliche

I know your cuisine has lots of regional variants that are much more exciting to the pellet that MacDonalds, KFC etc

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I google the above question this comes up ...

This link asks, "Is "Ethnic Food" a slur?'

No
i would never think ethnic food is inferior (who is wasting time over thinking this kind of sh*t?)
To me ethnic food is flavor

I grew up with wholesome healthy but pretty tastless food that hadn't changed much in decades
My tastebuds thank immigrants and the flavours they shared with us

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all food regardless of their ethnicity.

Being Chinese myself, I really do eat everything except for insects.

Insects are the last barrier. I can eat shellfish with no issues, including softshell crabs etc., however I just cannot bring myself to buy deep-fried insects on a stick etc...

DK :sick:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watch the Food Network all the time, and love Triple Ds and other American food programmes.

I would love to have a road trip and eat my way across America at places featured in these programmes, especially Triple Ds.

DK :lickout:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't know if I would call it 'ethnic', but that's because in Australia 'ethnic' is usually a term for people from the Mediterranean (see the Ethnic dad's comedy videos).

But it's definitely a cuisine unto itself and it varies. I can go get a NY style pizza from a little pizza place near my dad's house, then there's the Cajun and TexMex restaurants as well. We've also got a lot more BBQ and smokehouse style restaurants now and that's a US thing as far as I can tell.

Alright, that's it. This talk of yummy food has made me decide that I'm cooking a BBQ tomorrow. I'm thinking some honey soy marinaded chicken wings, lamb chops, maybe some steak too :cheeky:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the term "international" cuisine rather than ethnic cuisine.

"Historically, the term ethnic has been used to categorize people and cultures "outside the norm," and it's precisely this otherization that's dangerous."

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woo hoo, Lidl's America week started yesterday, and I shall pop into have a good look to see what I could find and like later this evening or during the weekend:

Lidl in UK America Week Offers

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Woo hoo, Lidl's America week started yesterday, and I shall pop into have a good look to see what I could find and like later this evening or during the weekend:

Lidl in UK America Week Offers

How embarrassing... everything looks like gas station food :lol:

It's interesting that Oreos there has milk. The ones sold here is dairy free. I never knew until I had a kid with a dairy allergy and discovered he can eat oreos!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's interesting that Oreos there has milk. The ones sold here is dairy free.

Same. Oreos here do not have dairy.

FYI 12 foods that do not have dairy.

Cashew cheese is yummy.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Same. Oreos here do not have dairy.

FYI 12 foods that do not have dairy.

Cashew cheese is yummy.

I'm pretty sure we have bought all of those! It's so nice having options now. I can't imagine growing up with a dairy allergy in the 80/90s.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty sure we have bought all of those! It's so nice having options now. I can't imagine growing up with a dairy allergy in the 80/90s.

I feel the same way. I cannot do gluten or dairy but there are so many options now I don't feel deprived. My DH has to go gluten and diary free (and he is fighting it right now) so I am making a list of food he can enjoy and trying to show him he really won't miss it like he thinks he will. Wish me luck cause he can be stubborn.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How embarrassing... everything looks like gas station food :lol:

It's interesting that Oreos there has milk. The ones sold here is dairy free. I never knew until I had a kid with a dairy allergy and discovered he can eat oreos!

When I was in LA back in July 2016, one of the best meal I had cost less than 15 USD, and it was from Waba Grill, a mixed platter of some sort with a drink included.

It was far tastier than some of the more expensive meals I had during my trip.

I have had the Peanut ice lollies and they were lush, as I LOVE (smooth) peanut butter, and shall get some more. The peanut puffs are very nice too!

The chicken wings look lush too and shall get some.

All food is good in my book, as long as they are not insects!

DK :lol-2:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I used to live outside of the USA, American food is synonymous with BBQ, pizza, burger and fries.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I used to live outside of the USA, American food is synonymous with BBQ, pizza, burger and fries.

This is an interesting perspective.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, some Oreo products do not contain milk or milk derivatives, however, there may be an allergy warning that they "may" contain milk.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, some Oreo products do not contain milk or milk derivatives, however, there may be an allergy warning that they "may" contain milk.

And often it says on the label manufactured at a plant that may process those ingredients so if one is truly allergic one should avoid those products that are not completely separately manufactured.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And often it says on the label manufactured at a plant that may process those ingredients so if one is truly allergic one should avoid those products that are not completely separately manufactured.

Yup, the inclusion of such warnings, IMHO, is to put the responsibility of avoidance of an allergic reaction firmly in the court of the purchasers/consumers, and not the manufacturers.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I watch the Food Network all the time, and love Triple Ds and other American food programmes.

I would love to have a road trip and eat my way across America at places featured in these programmes, especially Triple Ds.

DK :lickout:

Ive been watching someond feed Phil on Netflex - he eats ethnic (street food and fine dinning) all over the world (including America) i worry if some of those places are still in bussiness

Also on netflex ive been watching the Chinese Flavorful origins - have to concentrate because its subtitled but its really interesting

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, the inclusion of such warnings, IMHO, is to put the responsibility of avoidance of an allergic reaction firmly in the court of the purchasers/consumers, and not the manufacturers.

Definitely and if one is truly allergic one should not solely rely on labels.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, agree. If I were unfortunate enough to have life-threatening food allergies, I would cook from scratch myself to avoid any mishaps.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ive been watching someond feed Phil on Netflex - he eats ethnic (street food and fine dinning) all over the world (including America) i worry if some of those places are still in bussiness

Also on netflex ive been watching the Chinese Flavorful origins - have to concentrate because its subtitled but its really interesting

Don't laugh please, however, I could not sleep last night as I was hungry, so I got up at about 01:30ish for a hot chocolate and some toasted teacakes, and watched Triple Ds on TV until 03:00h!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is an interesting perspective.

Yes, i admit that's what came to mind first but that's unfair to a lot of cooks and chefs and moms and grandmas cooking regional and tradional fare

But i won't eat 'gator ('gator aint 'cue)
American ethnic i think of NYC pastrami and southern biscuits and gritts and all the different versions of BBQ (not 'gator) and waffles & chicken and maple sauce and pancakes
And how hot dogs (and pizza) are different in different cities
Salted caramels and whats that stuff they sell on the boardwalk ...? Salt water taffy
Collard greens
And pies - you make different pastry to us - i saw a thanksgiving show on Letterman one night and he had all these sweet pies - peacan was the only one id ever had
Mum made pimpkin pie because she had an American pen freind
oh and NY cheesecake - we don't traditionally bake cheesecake here
And clam chowder in a bread bowel
i had that at LAX - best airport food either (terrible airport)
Oh and crab cakes
and blueberries
first time mum brought us blueberries (Xmas 1982) she didn't know what to do with them
And peanutbutter and jelly
And Smoors and twinkies

Your food does look delicious
Hungry now

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't laugh please, however, I could not sleep last night as I was hungry, so I got up at about 01:30ish for a hot chocolate and some toasted teacakes, and watched Triple Ds on TV until 03:00h!

Sounds perfect for about now !

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
American ethnic i think of NYC pastrami

Just as a nod to the article I posted this is a good example. NYC pastrami is really Jewish in origin and not American per se. There really is no "American" food if you look at our country and it's origin. Native American food would be I guess considered True North American Food.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, i admit that's what came to mind first but that's unfair to a lot of cooks and chefs cooking regional and tradional fare

But i won't eat 'gator ('gator aint 'cue)
American ethnic i think of NYC pastrami and southern biscuits and gritts and all the different versions of BBQ (not 'gator) and waffles & chicken and maple sauce and pancakes
And how hot dogs (and pizza) are different in different cities
Salted caramels and whats that stuff they sell on the boardwalk ...? Salt water taffy
Collard greens
And pies - you make different pastry to us - i saw a thanksgiving show on Letterman one night and he had all these sweet pies - peacan was the only one id ever had
Mum made pimpkin pie because she had an American pen freind
oh and NY cheesecake - we don't traditionally bake cheesecake here
And clam chowder in a bread bowel
i had that at LAX - best airport food either (terrible airport)
Oh and crab cakes
and blueberries
first time mum brought us blueberries (Xmas 1982) she didn't know what to do with them
And peanutbutter and jelly
And Smoors and twinkies

Your food does look delicious
Hungry now

I don't discriminate. I love all food. Though like @dk168 I don't want to eat insects anytime soon. Not on purpose at least as I am sure we have all ingested some insects in our lifetime lol.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just as a nod to the article I posted this is a good example. NYC pastrami is really Jewish in origin and not American per se. There really is no "American" food if you look at our country and it's origin. Native American food would be I guess considered True North American Food.

But its so Neew Yawrk !

I forgot sour dough
New york is the city of the world !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results