shape
carat
color
clarity

Ethnic food

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I used to live outside of the USA, American food is synonymous with BBQ, pizza, burger and fries.

I don't usually eat burgers when I am in a proper restaurant as I prefer to make burgers myself.

However, I do like the occasional Big Mac with bacon or Whopper etc...

I love ribs, and would opt for that if it is on the menu and I am with people I know well, i.e. not on a first date, as it is really messy! :lol-2:

I love skinny and curly fries, especially when they are seasoned with spicy aromatic salts.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't discriminate. I love all food. Though like @dk168 I don't want to eat insects anytime soon. Not on purpose at least as I am sure we have all ingested some insects in our lifetime lol.

Ive had dried croc (tastes like chicken) but i deeply regreat it
Not saying a crocs or a 'gator is more intelligent than a cow or sheep but they are living dinosaurs and deserve reverence

I might try a cricket if its covered in chocolate

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't usually eat burgers when I am in a proper restaurant as I prefer to make burgers myself.

However, I do like the occasional Big Mac with bacon or Whopper etc...

I love ribs, and would opt for that if it is on the menu and I am with people I know well, i.e. not on a first date, as it is really messy! :lol-2:

I love skinny and curly fries, especially when they are seasoned with spicy aromatic salts.

Oh ribbs
Yum
You should see the piddly things they serve up here.
And our chicken wings are nothing on an American buffalo wing

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When on holiday, I would eat as much local food as possible and to seek out restaurants favoured by the locals.

Food is a very big part of my life and existence!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But its so Neew Yawrk !

I forgot sour dough
New york is the city of the world !

I am of the belief that there really is no such thing as American food as America is a diverse mix more so than any other country IMO. We all came from somewhere else. With the exception of the Native Americans. The population of the United States was built on immigration from other countries. American cuisine was influenced by Europeans and Native Americans in its early history. So when you look at it that way the term "as American as apple pie" makes one wonder. Where is apple pie from truly?

"Apples are native to Asia, and have been in America about as long as Europeans have."

:)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh ribbs
Yum
You should see the piddly things they serve up here.
And our chicken wings are nothing on an American buffalo wing

Wings, I love wings, probably the second best part of a chicken after the skin!!!

And I crunch the tips as long as they are crispy.

DK :lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ive had dried croc (tastes like chicken) but i deeply regreat it
Not saying a crocs or a 'gator is more intelligent than a cow or sheep but they are living dinosaurs and deserve reverence

I might try a cricket if its covered in chocolate

I would prefer eating a cricket covered in dairy free chocolate to eating a crocodile or cow or sheep...I am however a pescatarian and prefer eating only fish as my source of meat. But if I could remain vegan I gladly would. I had to change to pescatarian for health reasons. :(

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would prefer eating a cricket covered in dairy free chocolate to eating a crocodile or cow or sheep...I am however a pescatarian and prefer eating only fish as my source of meat. But if I could remain vegan I gladly would. I had to change to pescatarian for health reasons. :(
I love meat, im a carnavor from way back !
I think you gotta eat what one is
morally happy with

For me I worry about fish
Cows and sheep live a pretty good life here
And the oceans arnt the cleanest and heavy metals concentrate in some fish and i don't like net fishing, commercial fishing looks cruel and wastful to me

And then they say under a fish farm the sea floor is a desert
I do eat fish but id rather leave it for the seals and dolphines etc

Veg is ok but its just to make the meat look pretty !
I would like to give up dairy because a dairy cow doesnt have life as nice as a beef cow and dairying is not so good for the environment, the waterways have become unclean as dairying has increased
A sheep is nimble and has a lighter tread but yuck sheep cheese is gross
but all the plant milk ive tried is gross and i wouldn't touch soy because its gross and it smells and i dont like GM food
Year i know
Life is full of contradictions

I love yougart and cheese !

I don't care if fruit or veg it organic but i wont eat GM
GM is actually banned here but in imported food one never knows about the individual ingredients and soya beans are too suspect for me

I hope with covid its not too hard to get the food you like
my Bruce freind in NJ has a very delicate system too with a lot of nasty allergies and only eats organic (organic is really exspensive here) and she says its harder to get nice stuf right now

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wings, I love wings, probably the second best part of a chicken after the skin!!!

And I crunch the tips as long as they are crispy.

:shock: :-o

I take the skin off chicken, and if it’s got bones in it, forget it! :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:shock: :-o

I take the skin off chicken, and if it’s got bones in it, forget it! :lol:

o_O

I roast chicken thighs at home mainly for the pets, they get the meat, the bones saved in the freezer for making stock at a later date, and I get the skin, roasted twice for extra crunch!

I love fried chicken, and KFC is top of the list of junk food for me! Sadly, the nearest one is about 16 miles away in another town, so I seldom go there.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I never thought of "Ethnic" food being a derogatory or slur, but I do think "international food" aisle is a much better way to describe food that is outside what is normally purchased outside of one's cultural palate

In the article the author states that many Americans do not want to pay extravagant prices for "ethnic" food, but I can think of a few types of cuisines like Persian, Korean, and Ethiopian food etc which are NOT cheap at all, and cost more than the average "American" meal.

I have been watching this Cooking competition called Final Table on Netflix, and it is truly amazing, watching world renown michelin star caliber chefs competing in cooking and elevating cuisines from countries such as Brazil, India, UK into fine dining Michelin-worthy plates! After watching that show, no one would ever stick up their snooty noses at any culture's cuisine!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
o_O

I roast chicken thighs at home mainly for the pets, they get the meat, the bones saved in the freezer for making stock at a later date, and I get the skin, roasted twice for extra crunch!

I love fried chicken, and KFC is top of the list of junk food for me! Sadly, the nearest one is about 16 miles away in another town, so I seldom go there.

Tibby loves KFC
And rotisserie chicken

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the supermarkets I go to once a month is in a bigger town, and it has a "World Food" section where I like to browse for goodies that are not available in my local supermarkets.

Items such as salt cod, ramen noodles, miso base etc...

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Outside America, is American food ethnic food?

Oh, and to answer OP's question, in the Asian countries where I have traveled to for business, American food is in the "Western Food" section of the supermarket, along with things like tortillas, olive oil, cheese, etc

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woo hoo, Lidl's America week started yesterday, and I shall pop into have a good look to see what I could find and like later this evening or during the weekend:

Lidl in UK America Week Offers

Mr T once brought a big tub of Fluff back from LA for the girls. I licked one spoonful & was like, er, no..... You are not feeding this tub of sugar to my children :lol:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I used to live outside of the USA, American food is synonymous with BBQ, pizza, burger and fries.

Agreed, sorry Americans! Your food is largely regarded as delicious but very unhealthy... :lol: it’s a treat not a daily meal.

We tend to use the word “International food” rather than ethnic. I love many types of cuisines and I’m lucky enough to live in a city with a wife variety available. :lickout:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed, sorry Americans! Your food is largely regarded as delicious but very unhealthy... :lol: it’s a treat not a daily meal.

We tend to use the word “International food” rather than ethnic. I love many types of cuisines and I’m lucky enough to live in a city with a wife variety available. :lickout:

No worries.
I do not eat that way.

This American eats healthy food made at home that's usually time consuming to prepare.
As I'd guess with every country, Americans vary.

Uhm, what is a "wife variety of food"? :lol-2:
Does that mean the wife does all the shopping, cooking, and cleaning like on those 1950s TV shows? :eek2:
Does that wife cook and clean wearing a freshly-ironed poofy but smart 100% cotton ankle-length dress with a pearl choker.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No worries.
I do not eat that way.

This American eats healthy food made at home that's usually time consuming to prepare.
As I'd guess with every country, Americans vary.

Exactly. We (all) vary. My DH and I eat very healthfully as do most of my friends. I do not consider "American" food to be what @chrono lists above. In fact I know very few Americans who eat these foods on a regular basis. I think it is interesting what the perception is however outside (and perhaps inside) the USA as to how unhealthy Americans and "American" food is. Sure we have a real problem here. IIRC over 35% of Americans are obese. But we are not the top of the list in terms of unhealthy. At least from what I can tell.

I think we can safely say as a world can all do better.

Here are a few interesting articles FYI. Might come as a surprise to some of you. :)

Last link.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also when it comes to diet, regions of America vary.
Per the CDC Colorado and District of Columbia has the lowest obesity rates.
See map below for states with the highest rates.

Unfortunately obesity is increasing everywhere in America.

Per those online weight vs. height calculators I'm at the borderline of obese, right at 30.0.

From the CDC:

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 4.17.32 AM.png

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very sobering article from the NEJM.

Snip...

"We found that nearly 1 in 2 adults nationwide will probably have obesity by 2030, with large disparities across states and demographic subgroups. Using our model, we projected that by 2030 the majority of adults in 29 states will have obesity and that the prevalence of obesity will approach 60% in some states and not be below 35% in any state. These results are similar to previous estimates showing that 57% of children 2 to 19 years of age in 2016 are projected to have obesity by the age of 35 years.7"

"Indeed, our projections suggest that severe obesity may become the most common BMI category among adults in 10 states by 2030 and even more common in some subgroups, especially among women, non-Hispanic black adults, and low-income adults; these findings highlight persistent disparities according to sex, race or ethnic group, and income. The high projected prevalence of severe obesity among low-income adults and the high medical costs of severe obesity have substantial implications for future health care costs,9 especially as states expand access to obesity-related services for adult Medicaid beneficiaries.26"

and

Seems that Covid 19 is not the only pandemic we are currently facing...the Obesity Pandemic is real and will end up killing many more people if we don't figure out how to stop it.

:(

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a pack of 4 corn dogs and had one this evening, and cooked one as a snack.

It was disappointing as the batter was tough and chewy, not very nice at all compared with the corn dogs I had when I was in LA that were cooked fresh to order.

Only 3 more to go, hey ho.

No luck with the crispy chicken wings as they were sold out on the first day of the promotion last Thursday, nevermind.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Pre-COVID we travelled outside of US 5-8 times per year.
It is always embarrassing what is labeled “American” cuisine—it is synonymous with junk food. Pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs and French fries.
Of course, there is no true American cuisine as we are a melting pot.
And as Kenny pointed out, Americans vary. We cook all our meals at home and make many things from scratch. We have friends who are healthy eaters, vegans or pescatarians and family members who subsist on McDonalds and pizza.
There is no one American cuisine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results