shape
carat
color
clarity

ERD cushion with pear sidestones, a la Leon Mege

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I like the .96s too! I tend to like larger sidestones, though. The .8s look too small to me and the 1.0s look funny, could be the pic.

Your cushion is gorgeous! I can''t wait for the finished product!

*sparkle*

Rough_Rock
Thanks, emilina22! I can''t wait to see the stones set. Only 8 weeks and counting...!

*sparkle*

Rough_Rock
Gosh thanks a bunch, mooscushion! The GIA cert says that it''s a cushion brilliant with 8 pavillion mains. Best of luck with your cushion search! It''s fun because every cushion is a little different. I''m sure that you''re going to end up with a stunner!!!

*sparkle*

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Miranda! The 0.96ers definitely seem to have the popular vote here! I''ll see what Leon says tomorrow--I''m gonna call him first thing in the morning!
1.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the .86 ctw. I think they''ll make your center stone look larger.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I like the first set, unless you are going to lose too much of the stone size when they are recut. That is a gorgeous cushion!!!!! Your ring is going to be beautiful and I can''t wait to see pictures of it when it is done!!!!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 7:46:26 PM
Author: jarbatz
WOW! That cushion is stunning. There is something about the .96 pears that I am drawn to but really any of those sidestone will look fantastic! Can''t wait to see the finished product!
I think it''s the cut on them, but I heavily ditto this. I really LOVE those .96ers. Good luck on your choice. Your stone looks gorjamoussessse too.
2.gif
3.gif

shay

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I vote the first pair, the smallest. They don''t look small by any means and they allow the center to shine.

*sparkle*

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your responses, gemgirl, peppermintpatty, Shay37, and angeline! I think it''s still pretty much a toss up between the 0.80''s and the 0.96''s. Based on the pictures alone, I like the 0.96''s a tad better, but I''ll see if Leon has a strong preference for one or the other based on my finger size. Will let you guys know what he says!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure whether it''s just the picture or the lighting or whatever, but I am also drawn to the 0.96ctw set - the ring is going to look stunning!

Just out of curiosity, why would having strong blue fluoro mean it won''t work with in a three stone ring?

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE LOVE LOVE the second pair (.96). They are nice and fat which meshes so well with your rounded cushion.

What was Leon''s favorite set?

Also, Mark is fantastic!!! That stone is incredible.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite combo is the .96. Very pretty stones
30.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the .96''rs. That ring is going to be gorgeous!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 7:51:57 PM
Author: *sparkle*
Thanks for your reply, jarbatz! I agree, I''m drawn to the 0.96 ct combo the most too, but I can''t tell if I''m just being swayed by the lighting in the picture. It''s hard to focus on the proportions alone, you know?!? I wonder if the 0.80 ct combo might be a more delicate look...
I was going to say that. I personally like the smaller sides because I think they highlight the cushion more. And that is one fabulous cushion!

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
*Sparkle* What a predicament you are in, poor girl!!! ;-)

Your ring is going to be just stunning no matter what sidestone size you pick! BUT I will throw in my 2 cents, and say that I like the .80 the best.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to go with the .96 ct. pair too. The faceting is gorgeous with your lovely cushion.

I can''t wait to see the finished product!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
All of the options look so wonderful! My first preference was the .96 pair of pears :), but I think it might be because of the lighting and the facets on the pears look nice and chunky? I wonder if the .80 pair would look better once set. Agh, I''m no help, but just wanted to say the cushion is absolutely lovely and I looooove pear side stones.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I think with your ring size, I''d choose the smallest ones, since your center stone looks like it will take up a large chunk of your finger anyway AND the pears will be set length-wise. It will be a beautiful ring! Can''t wait to see it when it''s done!
1.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The .96s as well. I think they have a chunky looking cut that picks up on the cut of the center stone. The larger pair looks too busy (tiny facets/reflections?) to me.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I like the cut of the .96s, but I like the ratio of sides to center on the smaller stones, that combo makes your center stone pop way more. The .96 pears look less crushed icey and more chunky facets and that''s what I like about that pair. Can you ask him to look for a smaller pair but with chunkier faceting?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Love the center stone! Wow!
30.gif

You must be so thrilled!
9.gif

I vote for .96

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First off, your cushion is very pretty. I love the culet.

Add my vote to the list for the .96 pear set. There is something about that photo... also, they are chubbier than the other sets, which I think looks awesome!

Anne

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 12:41:14 PM
Author: surfgirl
I like the cut of the .96s, but I like the ratio of sides to center on the smaller stones, that combo makes your center stone pop way more. The .96 pears look less crushed icey and more chunky facets and that''s what I like about that pair. Can you ask him to look for a smaller pair but with chunkier faceting?
Ditto this exactly. ESPECIALLY since I''ve seen the cushion on your hand. You teensy fingered minx! The proportions of the smaller pair "work" more for me. I *do* wonder if its just the picture of the .96s being better, cuz I''m drawn to the look of them too.

Curious to see what Leon thinks. If he thinks the cut is really chunkier on the .96 ones, then I''d prolly live with the proportion rather than wait for a new search. They are lovely stones! If the .80 ones are just as lovely & chunky in person (but not showing up in the pix) that would be my 1st choice for sure.

Don''t know what you mean about an airline. Thought only halos had an airline??? *shrug*

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 12:41:14 PM
Author: surfgirl
My thoughts exactly too. I really prefer smaller side stones, but in this case the larger seem to have a much nicer cut. Wonder why the pictures aren''t all of the same quality though! Your lovely cushion looks so different in each. Definitely ask Leon for his opinion; he certainly has a knack for choosing side stones.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the .96''s. That ring is going to be spectacular, your cushion is a knockout!

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''m lovin'' the .96''ers.

*sparkle*

Rough_Rock
Thanks, honey22!

Leon feels that strong blue fluorescence in a center stone is a pretty obvious effect in the sunlight, and that it would be difficult to match the level of fluorescence exactly in the sidestones. He thought that it might be possible to find two sidestones with fluorescence, but that it might take some time and even then, they might not match in terms of how much each one fluoresces. Over time, he thought the mismatch might bother me. It wouldn''t have mattered if I had wanted a solitaire, or if the stone were not as strongly fluorescent, but in the end it seemed too complicated and I opted to look for another center stone instead.

*sparkle*

Rough_Rock
Gosh thanks for your votes, scarlet16, Diamond*Dana, Ellen, NeverEndingUpgrade, julesbeth, LaurenThePartier, NewEnglandLady, SanDiegoLady, gwendolyn, Fly Girl, surfgirl, Imdanny, anne h, decodelighted, icekid, mercoledi, and facetgirl!!!

I just got off the phone with Leon, and he''s recommending the 0.96ers! He said that normally he likes smaller side stones, but with the slightly elongated shape of my cushion, he thinks that the 0.96ers flow the best. Although he had originally suggested recutting the pears for a more antiquey look (this was before he had sourced any of the sidestones), he now thinks that''ll be more of a headache than it''s worth, since the faceting pattern already matches well.

So...I guess the bottom line is that I''m going with the 0.96ers! Thanks SO much for all your input, ladies! I''m so excited to get this project finally underway!!!
5.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my, that is going to be one gorgeous ring!!!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results