shape
carat
color
clarity

Emilya Halo Question...

cdander2

Rough_Rock
I love the look of the Emilya with diamonds on the doughnut but I think my girlfriend likes the idea of the Emilya with flush fit stems. I think the wedding band is almost as important to her as the engagement ring itself and she wants the wedding band to be able to sit up next to the engagement ring. But I also know another important aspect of the engagement ring is the hight from the top of her finger to top of the diamond: she wants that to be as minimal as possible. Is there a difference in that height measurement between the Emilya and the Emilya with flush fit stems?

Thanks for all your help!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally greatly prefer the regular Emilya because the tiny gap makes the rings look less like one wide band. I wouldn't put the pave on the doughnut, though, because I wouldn't want that scratching my wedding band. But if she wants flush fit, that is what you should order. As far as the height of the setting goes, Victor has this perfected to the best visual height, in my opinion, and I would allow him to make the ring as he normally does. If she wants a super low setting without regard to the best visual aesthetics (in my opinion), then I would suggest having Leon Mege do the setting because his preference is very low settings.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phdecorate just got an Emilya with no donut :) you can go look at hers! It doesn't look "too high" to me ~

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Victor is just finishing up my Emilya. I am getting the 'regular' along with a matching band. I, too, prefer the look of a bit of a 'gap' between the e-ring and band. I also prefer the pave donut, however, so Victor is making me a custom spacer to wear between them.

As far as the height of the set diamond I agree that I'd leave it to Victor's judgment. Leon did my first setting and it was set a little too low for my taste (although that's what I asked for). After some experience I think that my preference is for a mid-height setting like the Emilya.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
bem3231|1339997313|3218542 said:
Victor is just finishing up my Emilya. I am getting the 'regular' along with a matching band. I, too, prefer the look of a bit of a 'gap' between the e-ring and band. I also prefer the pave donut, however, so Victor is making me a custom spacer to wear between them.

As far as the height of the set diamond I agree that I'd leave it to Victor's judgment. Leon did my first setting and it was set a little too low for my taste (although that's what I asked for). After some experience I think that my preference is for a mid-height setting like the Emilya.

What a custom spacer? When I had my ring made by VC the only options he gave me were:
1- Make Emilya as is but don't wear a wedding band
2- Remove melee from donut and struts
3- Remove donut completely

Is it just a regular spacer or is there something special about it so that it fits the emilya? I'm curious as I had the traditional emilya ring made but I really miss wearing a wedding band and stacking rings with it. TIA!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Sarahbear621|1340024380|3218648 said:
bem3231|1339997313|3218542 said:

What a custom spacer? When I had my ring made by VC the only options he gave me were:
1- Make Emilya as is but don't wear a wedding band
2- Remove melee from donut and struts
3- Remove donut completely

Is it just a regular spacer or is there something special about it so that it fits the emilya? I'm curious as I had the traditional emilya ring made but I really miss wearing a wedding band and stacking rings with it. TIA!

Hi SB...

I went through the same dilemma as you. I wanted to wear a band but also really wanted the pave donut and struts. It was a PSer who gave me the idea of a custom spacer in a thread that I started on it here:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/spacer-to-protect-pave-donut-on-vc-emilya.176047/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/spacer-to-protect-pave-donut-on-vc-emilya.176047/[/URL]

It is not a regular spacer, but is a custom one made to fit my rings specifically, with a 'cutout' to accommodate the donut - similar to the photo of the LM set in the above thread.

Hope that helps!

cdander2

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1339953959|3218257 said:
I personally greatly prefer the regular Emilya because the tiny gap makes the rings look less like one wide band. I wouldn't put the pave on the doughnut, though, because I wouldn't want that scratching my wedding band. But if she wants flush fit, that is what you should order. As far as the height of the setting goes, Victor has this perfected to the best visual height, in my opinion, and I would allow him to make the ring as he normally does. If she wants a super low setting without regard to the best visual aesthetics (in my opinion), then I would suggest having Leon Mege do the setting because his preference is very low settings.

We have been looking at rings for almost a year and the first thing she looks at/notices is the height of the setting. I know that is very imortant to her. I don't mind going with Leon, I have just read/heard the quality is not as high as Victor's...agree or disagree?

Would Victor be mad/annoyed if I mentioned to him that my girlfriend prefers a low profile setting?

I attached some pics of a Leon setting that appears to have a very small doughnut, which would allow a close to flush sitting wedding band, and also would have the low profile Leon is known for.

Maybe someone with some insight could provide me with a rough idea of the cost comparison. I know the cost of the Emilya, would this one from Leon be similar. I wasn't sure if removing the diamonds from the doughnut and struts would save some money.

Thanks, everyone!

Attachments

• leon 1.bmp
    1 MB · Views: 1,116
  • leon 2.bmp
    523 KB · Views: 1,102

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Having worked with both Leon and Victor, I can say that I think that they both do extraordinary work. Their work is also priced very similarly. I don't think that doing a plain vs. pave donut / stems is going to save you too much on the cost of the setting. It may save you a bit, but I think it would be negligible.

If Victor thinks that setting the stone low in a particular setting is a bad idea he will tell you, but certainly won't be 'mad'. Victor is 100% super easy to work with. I would, however, take his advice if he suggests that something won't work well or look right.

Good luck!

cdander2|1340035933|3218727 said:

We have been looking at rings for almost a year and the first thing she looks at/notices is the height of the setting. I know that is very imortant to her. I don't mind going with Leon, I have just read/heard the quality is not as high as Victor's...agree or disagree?

Would Victor be mad/annoyed if I mentioned to him that my girlfriend prefers a low profile setting?

I attached some pics of a Leon setting that appears to have a very small doughnut, which would allow a close to flush sitting wedding band, and also would have the low profile Leon is known for.

Maybe someone with some insight could provide me with a rough idea of the cost comparison. I know the cost of the Emilya, would this one from Leon be similar. I wasn't sure if removing the diamonds from the doughnut and struts would save some money.

Thanks, everyone!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Also, what is the size of the center stone that you are using?

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
cdander2|1340045505|3218803 said:

Why does she want an especially low setting?

My center stone is a 2.7 RB and when we first had Leon set it I was certain that I wanted it as low as possible. Leon did exactly that. It was a beautiful ring, but to me it just didn't look 'right' from the profile. That said, the main reason why I wanted it set low was a practical one - I didn't want a high setting that would scratch babies, get caught up on stuff easily, or pose a problem fitting into gloves. While a super-low set stone is practical in this way, I ended up getting a reset as I ended up regretting that it was so low. The lower the stone is set, the more difficult it is to get a band to fit properly, too.

Also, a super-low setting can make a center stone look smaller, in my opinion. Although this difference would be negligible, it's good to realize this going into it.

I'm pretty excited to be getting my new Emilya set next week!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks, everyone!

Huh?

I have never once heard that Leon's micropave work is subpar - quite the opposite, in fact! Leon's work always looks more finely delicate to me, VC's looks more robust.

If you know you want that particular halo, go with VC - he's already done it so both you and he know exactly what to expect.

cdander2

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1340062905|3219049 said:

Thanks, everyone!

Huh?

I have never once heard that Leon's micropave work is subpar - quite the opposite, in fact! Leon's work always looks more finely delicate to me, VC's looks more robust.

If you know you want that particular halo, go with VC - he's already done it so both you and he know exactly what to expect.

I had read somewhere where a couple Leon customers were having issues with diamonds falling out of the setting. Is that just a couple rare instances? I love the look of these halo's from both guys but I don't want to have to worry about diamonds falling out. Right now I am leaning toward the Leon setting. I like how Leon sets with a lower profile and like the smallness of the doughnut in the pics above. I again talked to my girlfriend today to check with her most important checklist on the engagement ring. Her response was that she wanted a lower profile setting and wants a wedding band to sit flush or almost flush. She was pretty adamant about the height of the setting. That is her number one priority.

I know I can't go wrong with either guy, I just want to get what my girlfriend wants. If it were up to me, I would get the regular Emilya halo with diamonds on the doughnut, but this isn't about me.

I guess I could ask Victor if he would be willing to make the doughnut smaller with no diamonds on it and ask him to set the diamond as low as possible to the point where he is still comfortable with the look of the setting. Or get the Emilya with flush fit stems and ask the same thing with the height...

Either way, two good options. She loves both settings actually. We just saw the Leon one today online. She actually really liked the way to struts looked without the diamonds on them. She thought it was "clean looking." And really liked the size of the doughnut on the Leon one. "It would add a tiny gap between the engagement ring and the wedding band but not too much of a gap."

I appreciate everyones input.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, from reading on here there have been at least two of Leon's rings that had the head or prongs come loose from the shank. And I have heard of others who have had shanks bend totally out of shape because they were too thin. And others who lost melee. I have heard of nothing like that from Victor. So I am going to have to say that thus far, Victor seems a safer bet if I were spending $4-5000 for a setting.

Here is a comparison thread of similar settings made by Victor, Leon, and Steven Kirsch:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparison-photos-of-my-victor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting.166496/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparison-photos-of-my-victor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting.166496/[/URL]

cdander2

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1340064796|3219073 said:
Well, from reading on here there have been at least two of Leon's rings that had the head or prongs come loose from the shank. And I have heard of others who have had shanks bend totally out of shape because they were too thin. And others who lost melee. I have heard of nothing like that from Victor. So I am going to have to say that thus far, Victor seems a safer bet if I were spending $4-5000 for a setting.

Here is a comparison thread of similar settings made by Victor, Leon, and Steven Kirsch:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparison-photos-of-my-victor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting.166496/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparison-photos-of-my-victor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting.166496/[/URL]

That sounds like what I have heard before. What are your thought about asking Victor to set the stone as low as he feels comfortable with? Also, your thoughts on asking him to make the doughnut smaller or just go with the flush fit stems?

I guess I'm just wondering from those with knowledge, how receptive do you think he would be to those ideas?

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm working w/ VC currently on a 5 stone ring and he has been totally receptive to all of my ideas. I would approach him w/ your thoughts and see what he says. He'll give you his honest opinion and come to a good compromise!

I currently own 3 pieces from him (all have pave) and have not had any problems thus far. The quality of his rings are superb!

cdander2

Rough_Rock
mom2boys|1340066139|3219082 said:
I'm working w/ VC currently on a 5 stone ring and he has been totally receptive to all of my ideas. I would approach him w/ your thoughts and see what he says. He'll give you his honest opinion and come to a good compromise!

I currently own 3 pieces from him (all have pave) and have not had any problems thus far. The quality of his rings are superb!

Thank you! I think I will contact him and let him know what I am thinking. We'll see what he says.

Thanks, everyone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am working with Victor on something, too, and I think it is perfectly fine to ask him to set the stone as low as he can while keeping the aesthetics right. And certainly discuss all your concerns. He will tell you if you are making a mistake and he will make you a fine ring. That is exactly what I'd do.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do tell more, DS (Sorry for threadjack cdander2!)! Would love to hear about your new project!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2boys|1340066876|3219091 said:
Do tell more, DS (Sorry for threadjack cdander2!)! Would love to hear about your new project!

Just earrings to go with the sapphire ring in my avatar. :))

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
cdander2|1340065498|3219077 said:
That sounds like what I have heard before. What are your thought about asking Victor to set the stone as low as he feels comfortable with? Also, your thoughts on asking him to make the doughnut smaller or just go with the flush fit stems?

I guess I'm just wondering from those with knowledge, how receptive do you think he would be to those ideas?

Victor actually said to me on the phone last week "your wish is my command". He is seriously out-of-this-world accommodating. When we were discussing my spacer he had suggested making my donut smaller in order to allow for a thinner spacer. He also suggested at one point doing plain stems, so I don't think you would have any issues suggesting a smaller donut or plain stems if that was your preference.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cdander, there are a couple of things to note here.

1. VC is currently the favoured PS vendor. It's cyclic - it was Steven Kirsch before, and Leon Mege before that, and in a couple of months it'll be someone else. All the above come highly recommended on their own merits and areas of expertise and have good reputations.
Choose the vendor best suited to make your piece, regardless of current PS popularity (or lack thereof). In this case I am certain either VC or LM could execute to your satisfaction.

2. You want a very popular design. VC can probably make this halo in his sleep at this point. Truly, if you only want slight adjustments to the design, VC is the best choice because he's so intimately familiar with everything that makes up the design, and everyone knows exactly what needs to be done and what the expected result is. If you were looking for something different, my personal vendor recommendation would change accordingly based on my personal experience.

3. Super thin shanks - especially those studded with holes for melee - will bend. It's not a matter of who makes the piece, it's just a matter of time and use. And when they bend, those teeny tiny prongs holding teeny tiny stones will shift and the stones will come loose. Again, this is a fundamental issue with the style, not quality of manufacturing or who does said manufacturing. And yes, both vendors have had flops. Like I said before - with this particular style, one that VC has successfully executed so many times now, your odds of a flop are as low as they could ever possibly be, hence my recommendation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results