shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL vs GIA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rmsanders2002

Rough_Rock
Has anyone heard of the European Gemological Lab (EGL)? I foudn a loose stone I like and this was the lab. It also provided a certificate from the Universal Gemological Services (UGS) which looks like to be their USA counterpart. Also, I''ve heard so many people talk about 8 star and H&A. What exactly are these, how do they differ, and what is the significance of each (bascially, does it really matter?)? Thanks.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Re; diamond grading...I have been looking at the new GIA certs at several online sites, and unless I am missing something , they do not show clarity plots...they just say, cloud, feather, needle (or whatever), but they do not show size or location....Also, some of the sarin #''s seem to conflict a bit w/certs....and some of them are given "ideal" ratings although everything does not appear to be ideal!!!!!
7.gif
7.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
My GIA shows location of the inclusion. It was done in November 04. Dunno if that qualifies as "new" or not.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2005 3:52:22 PM
Author:rmsanders2002
Has anyone heard of the European Gemological Lab (EGL)? I foudn a loose stone I like and this was the lab. It also provided a certificate from the Universal Gemological Services (UGS) which looks like to be their USA counterpart. Also, I've heard so many people talk about 8 star and H&A. What exactly are these, how do they differ, and what is the significance of each (bascially, does it really matter?)? Thanks.

Hi rmsanders,

Both 8-star and Hearts & Arrows diamonds are round brilliant diamonds cut to specific proportions to maximize beauty. 8-star is a particular brand, while H&A is not a brand, it's a style of cut. Some H&A diamonds are branded by a certain cutter/vendor. Others are not.

Here is information on Hearts & Arrows diamonds and standards which may be of interest.

Eightstar advertises on PS and has a website.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results