shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, I''m perusing ebay this evening, on the off chance there might be something for me there. There''s a blue sapphire I think is really pretty, cushion, and the size I''m looking for. (cuz you know, maybe I need be like Freke and have a few erings too!) It''s not expensive by ANY stretch of the imagination. Does this mean it''s more than likely fake?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have bought quite a few stones from ebay-- but always low dollar purchases of stones that are not commonly simulated. But I do make a point of avoiding sapphires (and a few others) that are commonly and easily simulated.

Heck, even Richard Wise bought a simulated pad sapphire without realizing it. That's kinda scary to me as I'm sure the CHAIR Richard sits in has more gem evaluating experience than I do when it comes to sims versus mined.

And Lauren's pad ended up being BE treated, and that wasn't through ebay.

With all the sims and treatments on sapphires. I wouldn't go there, personally. Unless it was very low dollar. REALLY low dollar.

I was watching this one and even bid on it. 16 bucks was my bid though because despite the feedback, the other stones the seller is selling (many of which do look like they are real and mined) ... I wasn't willing to spend more than 16 bucks on something that was at best a gorgeous sim, at worst pretty glass.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170371035127&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Gypsy! It''s $9 right now..how much does it cost to find out if it''s real, if I did buy it? I wonder if it would even be worth it! This is one of the pictures of it.

L1808-02A.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I like the color of that..not real dark..the color is easily seen not not washed out..you know who would have some good info for you..but she is not on here anymore
7.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
The most basic lab reports I''ve heard of are in the 25$ region, so it''s hardly worth sending. But at that price...buy it if you like it, whatever it turns out to be, at least as a "fun stone".

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 1:49:12 AM
Author: Gypsy
I have bought quite a few stones from ebay-- but always low dollar purchases of stones that are not commonly simulated. But I do make a point of avoiding sapphires (and a few others) that are commonly and easily simulated.

Heck, even Richard Wise bought a simulated pad sapphire without realizing it. That''s kinda scary to me as I''m sure the CHAIR Richard sits in has more gem evaluating experience than I do when it comes to sims versus mined.

And Lauren''s pad ended up being BE treated, and that wasn''t through ebay.

With all the sims and treatments on sapphires. I wouldn''t go there, personally. Unless it was very low dollar. REALLY low dollar.

I was watching this one and even bid on it. 16 bucks was my bid though because despite the feedback, the other stones the seller is selling (many of which do look like they are real and mined) ... I wasn''t willing to spend more than 16 bucks on something that was at best a gorgeous sim, at worst pretty glass.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170371035127&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT
I wonder what happened to Shaunrice? He disappeared not long after we expressed concern about his pads.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t put a bid on it last night-normally I get on the computer in the morning and figured I''d see what you guys had to say during the night before I did anything..ended up forgetting all about the dumb thing. Well, if they relist it I think I''ll go ahead-either it will be a good stone or a piece of crap!

I sure do like the color tho!

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
hi to all-just to put ur mind at ease this is an example of the stones ive bought over the years-actually from one seller who had what i wanted at the time-this pendent has 5 stones-they are all fine chrome tourmaline with excellent color change-a very high chrome content-the smallest is +3cts to over 7cts w/total over 20cts and appraisal at well over $20,000.00 for the pendent. there are treasures to be had and very good deals to be gotten[?]. just do be careful and read all descriptions when offered...

m27.JPG

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
so those stones show the Usambara effect m76steve? have you ever had them tested? i am curious as to how you know it has a high chromium content..chelsea? Sweet looking piece!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The more erings, the better!!!!

(Lovely stone!)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 4:20:20 PM
Author: FrekeChild
The more erings, the better!!!!

(Lovely stone!)

hehehe! I was up until 1 last night-well, this morning-looking at stones..I''ve decided I should have a cushion, a round *and* b/c I''ve seen it on here and it looks so cool, a marquise set east/west, bezeled either all the way or just on the points. I fell asleep daydreaming about them! Ooo maybe an emerald cut too..I better get busy looking at stones again!

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
amguy-here is a pic with incandes. light-u can just see the red-this is without the chelsea filter-with the filter the green is replaced with red color-100% change-the stones have been tested and appraised.

m38.JPG

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
amguy-i have been told that the stones have a high chrome content because of their ability to color change without the filter being used-just the light from an incandecent bulb can do the trick-lots of chrome apparently...

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
you can really see it on that left stone too. sweet!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
$1000 per ct for Chrome Tourmaline is a pretty high appraisal. Normally chrome sells for $200 to $350 per ct in those size.

As far as the sapphire goes, a $25 AGL lab cert won''t be able to tell lab created stone from natural sapphire in all cases. They will most likely advance you to the next level analysis, which is $185.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I pretty much stay away from sapphires on Ebay amymore.

Unless you''re willing to take the risk of paying too much for a simulant or a BE stone, I would tread carefully.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input Gene and LTP! I think I better steer clear of it then, pretty or not! I have a pretty blue picture for color reference now anyway.

I''ll go back to hounding all the cutters for lavender spinel/sapphs!

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to gene-some of the material that states that good chrome tourmaline-color change under filter from @3-5cts can sell for as much as $1500.00/ct. or more depending on degree of change & clairity-the $1000.00 appraisal /ct. is certainly in line...

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to gene-the $200-$350.00 amount u stated is possible on ebay if one looks long enough. deals r there to b had. in some cases i paid @ $250.00-$400.00 per stone on the pendent pictured in this site. one has only to seek - the sweets r there!...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Someone wise told me many times to avoid sapphires and commonly "faked" stones on ebay. However, I have found some great deals and beautiful stones on ebay. My most recent purchases landed me two gorgeous spinels - one red and one lavendar. I also got a beautifully cut topaz. There are deals to be found but it takes some time to learn what the photos show versus reality. However, most of the prices are low enough for you to test them out. Many of the sellers are also honest in refunding or providing partial refunds.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
I found this two spinels from a seller who happens to list his items also in ebay... I''ve never tried online purchase before & so I want to get some advice first from fellow PSers here before I proceed. About its color, saturation, cut, etc... I''m planning to buy on this coming pay day
5.gif
Hope to hear from anyone soon. Thanks so much in advance.
26.gif

First one is 2.13 ct. Blue Cobalt Spinel (Sri Lanka) Clarity: IF to VVS, approx 8.28 mm x 6.80 mm – 4.70mm depth

cobalt_spinel.jpg

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the second one... 2.76 ct. Medium Blue spinel, clarity: VVS approx 9.0 mm X 7.7 mm – 4.9 mm depth

.....Oh I''m torn which one to choose.... If only I could find a Lavender spinel like TL''s hehe.
3.gif

blue_spinel.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a couple possibilities:
1. It is real but looks not as nice in person to due to fancy photography (angles and lighting) and photoshopping
2. BE treated
3. Fake (synthetic, glass, etc).
4. Not as represented (damaged, sent a different stone, etc)
For $9, it’s not worth sending out for a lab and I’m pretty sure it’s not going to look like the picture. The picture shows a pretty decent looking sapphire, not the best but worth a lot more than $9 if it looks like that in person and is real.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blithesome,
The first stone is rather dark in tone and the second rather light in saturation. Neither floats my boat but more importantly, since both are claimed to be cobalts, what proof does the seller have that they are true cobalt spinels? Can you ask the seller to place both stones side by side to get a more accurate gauge of their colours? They both have small windows but that’s really nothing to worry about since they are likely to “close” once set.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 8:25:46 AM
Author: Chrono
Blithesome,

The first stone is rather dark in tone and the second rather light in saturation. Neither floats my boat but more importantly, since both are claimed to be cobalts, what proof does the seller have that they are true cobalt spinels? Can you ask the seller to place both stones side by side to get a more accurate gauge of their colours? They both have small windows but that’s really nothing to worry about since they are likely to “close” once set.

Thanks chrono.
1.gif
According to the seller''s site for the first stone: "This gem has been certified as “Natural Cobalt Spinel” by a professional appraiser. Certificate is issued with the gem to the buyer." I dunno but yes I agree, it''s rather dark. The second one accdg to him, is a mere blue spinel (non cobalt). Both are native cut ''cos the seller is from Sri Lanka... I''m choosing bet. these two ''cos both are, uhmmm, priced low. So there... But I guess I''ll just have to look for another options. I also emailed the seller for more pics. Still waiting for reply though
7.gif

Thanks chrono for your words. It''s better to listen to a "pro" than be sorry in the end. Truly appreciated.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder what happened to Shaunrice? He disappeared not long after we expressed concern about his pads.[/quote]

I wonder what happened to Shaunrice too... I hope he''ll be back when he gets that alexandrite set (hopefully in the mokume gane setting he was eyeing). However, I know all about planning for projects before I''m ready to write the check!
2.gif

Back to topic... ditto Gypsy. I see ebay stones as a bit of a gamble. I''ll use eBay for low cost stones, particularly if I just want to see what a particular mineral looks like. Having said that, I have some beautiful stones that I got from eBay, including one that is being set in a ring as I type.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blithesome,
I’ve never heard of cobalt spinels being priced low but maybe the first one is due to the dark tone. If the second is inexpensive and you are confident of getting your money back, it might be worth the risk. Thanks for your vote of confidence.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
A cobalt spinel should not be priced low..they are pretty rare and highly covented by collectors and aficianado''s...I think the color looks good on that "cobalt" one..should be a strong blue if it is

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don''t know how these guys can sell stones for $9.99 or sometimes $0.99
WHen I was in Africa last month, I was dealing with a guy who lived in a mud hut 50 miles away from Arusha, and found the stones himself, and he wouldn''t sell me yellow grossular garnet for $10 per stone in the rough.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I know it is tough to visualize gems going that cheap; when you think of buying the rough, having them graded, then cut???

I know when I used to buy rough very heavily back 15+ years ago out of South Africa; the guys I dealt with would get so mad at the Thais as they would set up camp in any hotel or tent and would buy out the entire mine run; from the best to the worst; send it all to the cutting factories and have it all cut. They had money and they would buy it all; well if you think of it; if they did this for 10+ years; look at the mass amount of rough they got; and back then people did not know the rare, unusual, etc. like they do now.
So many of these huge parcels are still being cut; it is kind of like my Serbian friend that was into diamonds heavy and told me about huge room vaults of sealed canvas bags of diamond rough that would reach to the ceilings...

I know that many of us cutters find it hard to believe these guys can sell cut stones this cheap; but we are not into mass production as most of our cuts just take so much time; there are complicated angles, flat facets, meet points, high polish, etc. so even if we are fast cutters they are moving in a assembly line type operation where one grades, one preforms, one polishes; I have an old jampeg but the newer model and I can see where they save time; but the results are not like what we cut; not that they are bad cutters; just different styles...

But that being said I will capitalize where I can and when ebay first started I bought a lot from Thai sellers as the material was natural ( of course tested by me not them ) good color and I would look for heavy pavilion gems that could be re-cut with minimal weight loss; as to me it was a excellent preform as I knew the color and the estimated end results. That is not the case now or has been for the last few years as most are Photoshopped for a color they think you will buy instead of the true color; also the synthetics and super treated are much more abundent.

I think you see some that to get a good name offer gems at a steal to get the feedback ratings as when they get good feedback most of their gems go up in price and instead of starting them for 99 cents they start at 29.99

But in all reality when it gets to what we consider the finer collector gems they really do not come through as they usually have issues; like too dark, hidden inclusions or chips with the aid of the camera software. As to what I buy now on ebay in a years time you could hold them in a small child''s hand and still have room for a ring pop :)

There are deals to be had; but they are few and far between now-a-days... If you are a cutter and can re-work them yourself you may come out; but it takes time and you must love the craft...

But that is my experience with ebay and colored gems over the last 11 years.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results