shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Ring Shopping In Dallas

TrueFlog

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend and I are shopping for an engagement ring in Dallas. Neither of us has been engaged before, so we’re both new at this and would appreciate some help.

We’ve looked around at Robbins Brothers and several mall fixtures (Zales, Kay’s, etc.) So far, her favorite ring is this one from RB. She likes the cathedral style because she feels like the diamond would be less likely to catch on things. (She works with her hands a lot, so that’s a concern for her.) We both like the look of the ring - a round center diamond (no halo) with sidestones.

What are y’all’s thoughts on buying from RB? We had a very positive experience with them - they were very helpful, gave us a lot of information, and were not pushy at all. I also like that they have a master jeweler on-site, so we can have repairs and routine maintenance done without having to mail the ring away somewhere. The price on the ring seems fair, but their diamonds are very expensive. I think the sales rep said their diamonds are not certified (?!) which is a huge red flag for me.

One thing I considered is buying the ring at RB and the diamond from Blue Nile or somewhere similar. Does that sound reasonable? If so, who sets the diamond in the ring? If BN does the setting, will that void my warranty from RB? I suppose I could buy both the ring and diamond online, but I don’t want to have to mail the ring every year for cleaning, re-plating, etc. I’m also concerned about the risk of buying without first being able to see it.

Finally, what should I be looking for in the diamond? I’m familiar with the 4C’s and how diamonds are graded, but I don’t know how good of a grade is good enough. I don’t want to spend the extra money to get a better grade if it doesn’t actually improve the appearance to the naked eye. I’m thinking maybe G/VS2 is what I should shoot for…? If it makes any difference, we’re looking at a 1.5ct round in a white gold or platinum setting.

Thanks!

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Looks similar to some of the Vatche designs, maybe Vatche 165 or Vatche 121.

I doubt BN will set a diamond into a semimount not purchased from them. However, BN may have a similar style setting?

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
I know nothing about Robbins, but if you are in Dallas I think you're within driving distance of two of the best places in the country for diamond engagement rings: Brian Gavin Designs in Houston and Whiteflash in Sugar Land. I wouldn't miss the chance to check them out if I lived in Texas. Both can make any setting imaginable and their diamonds are generally much better than Blue Nile's, imho.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
RB will most likely set an outside stone but I don't think BN will. If you don't find a comparable setting elsewhere, at least price compare diamonds and then buy the setting from RB and have RB set the diamond.

if you want to price compare diamonds at some reputable sites, Whiteflash (in Houston) is very well liked by PSers. If you want to save sales tax, check out James Allen since they're out of state for you. Other PSers can list some other online vendors too.

Certified diamonds are important to most PSers depending on what they're buying, but with GIA or AGS labs only, because you know what you're paying for. EGL, for example, is known to be easier on their grading meaning their report might say it's a G color but GIA/AGS will say it's a J color, thus you can overpay for a J color in the end.

Cut is #1 in most of our opinions, with Excellent or Ideal as the preferred grade. Then color and clarity is personal preference but to save money, sticking with VS1, VS2 or some SI1s usually works well. If "eye clean" is what you're looking for, make sure you see the diamond yourself or ask what the sellers idea of eye clean is (10 inches away, more, less?).

Hope this helps! Good luck in your search.

Also if you make a new post called "Help me find a ----" and list the diamond specs your looking for inside the post, including budget, we can try to make suggestions.

TrueFlog

Rough_Rock
UrsTx|1441845624|3925850 said:
if you want to price compare diamonds at some reputable sites, Whiteflash (in Houston) is very well liked by PSers. If you want to save sales tax, check out James Allen since they're out of state for you. Other PSers can list some other online vendors too.
I've seen Whiteflash mentioned several times on here. Why do you guys like them so much? What makes them better than other on-line vendors like Blue Nile or brick-and-mortar stores like Robbins Brothers or Helzberg? Keep in mind that we don't need a custom-designed ring.; we're just looking for a quality, attractive ring at a good price.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
TrueFlog|1441989510|3926606 said:
I've seen Whiteflash mentioned several times on here. Why do you guys like them so much? What makes them better than other on-line vendors like Blue Nile or brick-and-mortar stores like Robbins Brothers or Helzberg? Keep in mind that we don't need a custom-designed ring.; we're just looking for a quality, attractive ring at a good price.
These are my personal opinions based on hanging out on PS for over a year now.

I think most B&Ms are avoided because the knowledge that the typical B&M sales rep has about diamond cut quality and light performance does not even come close to the knowledge of the experts who frequent PS, and there are often stories about unethical (or at least questionable) practices heard from buyers who have tried their luck at the run-of-the-mill B&Ms. In addition, by nature, the B&Ms necessarily have higher overhead and smaller inventory than do the internet vendors (resulting in higher prices and a smaller selection of diamonds to choose from). The B&Ms that are recommended here are typically limited to internet vendors who also have a B&M store or showroom (e.g., Good Old Gold, ID Jewelry, Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, Diamonds by Lauren, etc.).

Blue Nile is not one of the top choices here, because they are a drop shipper, and because they don't have risk free returns (customer must pay for return shipping and insurance), and mostly, because their website does not provide the information required to ensure that you have selected a top-performing diamond. To make an informed decision about a diamond that one cannot inspect in person, it is necessary to have high-resolution images, videos, and so-called reflector imaging (including Idealscope, Hearts & Arrows images, ASET, etc.). BlueNile does not include any of these in their online diamond listings, and can usually at best supply a diamond photo on request (if their supplier is able to provide one). This being said, with modern round brilliant diamonds, it is possible to use the geometric and other data that is available in the grading report (which is provided on BN's website) to judge whether a diamond has a reasonably high probability of performing well. So, BN is not ruled out completely (i.e., they are certainly considered to be reputable). For a good perspective on BN, see this post by Mrs-Blop.

The online vendors who are commonly recommended on PS (e.g., James Allen, Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, Brian Gavin Diamonds) do routinely provide the high-definition photos, videos, reflector imagery etc required to properly evaluate the performance of a diamond, and they also have customer-friendly return policies and upgrade policies (in addition to having an overall good reputation for integrity, customer service, and a record of constructively resolving any issues that occasionally occur with customers' orders).

baroque

Shiny_Rock
You are in an enviable position! Being so close to both Whiteflash and Brian Gavin! I flew many miles and stayed over in a hotel to have the pleasure of visiting both vendors, and was very happy that I did. I would definitely say to look through their websites, and at least visit them to see quality and what you can get for the same (actually better!) price as a B & M store. IMO, no comparison to what I could get from our local jeweler. I realize that it's likely a 3+ hour trip each way...but would be well worth it! The town of Sugar Land is a fun experience, too. Wish I had had more time to visit!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Is the Cartier store at the Galleria no longer there? I'm sad. They had an enormous pear cut ring in the window that I would "visit."

There's a Cartier store at Northpark. Just fer grins. :D

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
TrueFlog|1441989510|3926606 said:

My apologies for checking in so late. I personally recommended Whiteflash and James Allen because I like the informational pieces they put on their site (the GIA or AGS report, if it's eye clean, ASETs so you can see the if the pattern is pleasing to your eye, an Idealscope so you can see the type of light return it gives off, etc). Both companies are also usually less expensive than B&M stores. Jared, along with our local mall, is down the street from my house and they don't give you those extra things like reports.

Plus if you feel more comfortable visiting brick and mortar stores, they're at least in Texas and more accessible to you than other PSers on this site. Also, you mentioned the RB diamonds are expensive so I thought Whiteflash might provide more options.

LeDiamant

Rough_Rock
How exciting for you and your girlfriend! My boyfriend and I have just recently started looking at diamonds in Dallas as well. I'm currently visiting friends in Houston and am planning on looking at WhiteFlash and Brian Gavin while I'm here.

In Dallas, we had good luck with Graham at Diamond Doctor and at Bachendorf's. Both have pretty competitive pricing for loose stones and can do either custom settings or settings that are already in stock (I think all of Diamond Doctor's settings are made in house, whereas Bachendorf's also carries third party brands like Tacori, etc.). Good luck!

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
aew0192|1442041502|3926805 said:
How exciting for you and your girlfriend! My boyfriend and I have just recently started looking at diamonds in Dallas as well. I'm currently visiting friends in Houston and am planning on looking at WhiteFlash and Brian Gavin while I'm here.

In Dallas, we had good luck with Graham at Diamond Doctor and at Bachendorf's. Both have pretty competitive pricing for loose stones and can do either custom settings or settings that are already in stock (I think all of Diamond Doctor's settings are made in house, whereas Bachendorf's also carries third party brands like Tacori, etc.). Good luck!

Hi aew0192 - if you haven't already done so, remember that you need to make an appt for Brian Gavin. They don't have a traditional showroom but rather "by appt" showings. Brian is super nice too!

LeDiamant

Rough_Rock
UrsTx|1442065195|3926841 said:

Hi aew0192 - if you haven't already done so, remember that you need to make an appt for Brian Gavin. They don't have a traditional showroom but rather "by appt" showings. Brian is super nice too!

Thanks so much for the heads up! I'll make sure to do so. I'm guessing from your handle that you're also in Texas. Did you buy from Brian?

Shannon74

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure how I missed that Whiteflash is in Sugarland. I'm also in Dallas and we just recently drove to Houston to pick up a check. It's the check that's funding my ring purchase, so I really did miss a great opportunity.

Ugh, it's such a long, boring drive...that we WILL be making again! :mrgreen:

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
aew0192|1442101859|3927018 said:
UrsTx|1442065195|3926841 said:

Thanks so much for the heads up! I'll make sure to do so. I'm guessing from your handle that you're also in Texas. Did you buy from Brian?

I'm in Austin. I had Brian recut a Very Good-to-Good round diamond into an Ideal cut a short time ago. I was prob at his office 3 hrs initially, 1 hour talking about the project and the other 2 hours looking at his settings and stones. I'm a fan now! I also had a .36ct round set into his Baraba sliding bezel pendant - I get compliments on it all the time. His team is awesome.

LeDiamant

Rough_Rock
I just looked up the Barbara pendant-it's fantastic!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results