shape
carat
color
clarity

e-ring dilemma.....help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musicman948

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I''m just starting to get into this e-ring buying thing. Been with a girl for 4.5 years, and I think its time to show her how much she means to me.

Well, I went to Tiffany & Co. and bought a .31 TCW H/VS1 Tiffany Setting solitaire. You can see it in the attached picture. However, I started thinking I "rushed" into it and bought only on the basis of the name, although the stone was absolutely beautiful for its size. The ring was $1980 before tax, a hefty price for a smaller diamond, but nonetheless, worth it in beauty to me. However, thinking I rushed too quickly, I took it back. By the way, for all you Tiffany customer service bashers, the St. Louis Tiffany was nothing but impeccable in every way, even when I returned it, they really strived to please me.

Well, now I am 2000 dollars richer again, and looking once more for a piece I feel is good for her. However, with recent finances going quite well, I can now say I''m in the 3-4 thousand dollar range. So, I was taking a look at harrywinston.com (since there is not a store even REMOTELY CLOSE to me), and found their pieces very amazing, unlike Tiffany''s, I felt their pieces were something that really stood out from the crowd of rings, although pictures don''t justify seeing it in person. However, they list no prices. Although I am not at all afraid to call them, I am wondering from someone who has been to the store what styles, IF ANY, I could get from HW for my 3-4 thousand dollar price range, and how many carats TW are we talking? I saw the HW letter solitaire setting online, would that be a possibility? Any other styles? Also, there used to be a Cartier in St. Louis, but it has since closed up (Imagine that!). I also found their solitaire to be quite beautiful, but again, no prices online at all. So same question, what styles and prices and TCW could I expect to find at Cartier?

And I don''t even have to go name-brand, NECESSARILY. I have simply found that Tiffany''s diamonds (the only luxury name-brand jeweller in my area so I can only mention them) have a sparkle and glimmer to them unlike any of the other local name-brand guys (Whitehall, Bailey Banks and Biddle, and Helzberg, to name a few), even loose diamond suppliers around STL. However, I could choose to purchase a loose diamond directly from a more well-known supplier such as Whiteflash and have a ring custom made by a local jeweller. My only worry is that even though the stone may have the same GIA grading, as I have found so many times at other jewellers and diamond suppliers, their diamond just doesn''t have that sparkle and shine to it that a Tiffany does, and it sounds silly, but I would rather spend that 35% markup for a smaller stone that really lights up a whole room with its shine.

Anyways, a big rant and ramble, I apologize, but I figure if there is any place to find out this information, it''s here, and not at some business that is trying to pawn its merchandise on me. Thanks, and please reply let me know if you can help with some suggestions to my dilemma!

HPIM0423.jpg

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
hi!
1.gif

> harrywinston.com (since there is not a store even REMOTELY CLOSE to me), and found their pieces very amazing, unlike Tiffany's, I felt their pieces were something that really stood out from the crowd of rings, although pictures don't justify seeing it in person. However, they list no prices. Although I am not at all afraid to call them, I am wondering from someone who has been to the store what styles, IF ANY, I could get from HW for my 3-4 thousand dollar price range, and how many carats TW are we talking? I saw the HW letter solitaire setting online, would that be a possibility? Any other styles? Also, there used to be a Cartier in St. Louis, but it has since closed up (Imagine that!). I also found their solitaire to be quite beautiful, but again, no prices online at all. So same question, what styles and prices and TCW could I expect to find at Cartier?

I saw HW sells about D VS1 G 0.70ct for about 10K at HW tokyo (last winter)
this E-ring was most smallest and cheapest I saw in the shop.

Eternity ring start around $2500~ (Japan & USA)
if you call at HW in LA( or in any HW, but I like LA's customer servise ESP Patricia is very nice)
they would answer with your question.

my experiance after I bought rings from HW,
I would try to call or ask to WF or signed pieces ( Issac)
because I guess price could be less even same class diamond.
3.gif

good luck !
2.gif

I found out price about cartie

(2005 April)
vey simple setting's RB E-ring 0.5 ct start $4500~
depends on setting price for 0.5 is $4500~6000.
I guess it's bit expensive but I am not sure
40.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
musicman948-

I can definitely sympathize with wanting the most sparkly diamond you can find! And you can find that by looking for the best cut stone. While Tiff''s generally has decently cut stones, you can do just as well or better for much less money. Unless it''s important to your girl, I would not go w/ the Harry Wiston or Cartier type stores with your budget.

That said, 3-4 grand is not a bad budget at all! You can definitely find a beautiful stone in that range. If you prefer to go w/ a local jeweler, there are a couple people around here who are from St. Louis who might be able to direct you (Patty and ame). I went to college in St. Louis but wasn''t looking at diamonds then
1.gif

Of course, the other option is going through at online vendor which is obviously popular around here. If you decide to do that, everyone here will be more than happy to guide you.

Good luck!

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s my $.02...
2.gif

I personally would not be impressed getting a diamond from Tiffany or HW. In fact, I would think that my fiance would have totally overpaid. However, if your gal is into the "name" then I would say get something from one of those retailers.

I recently got a 1.04ct J/SI1 ideal rb from an online vendor. I have only had it a week but I get a ton of compliments on it. We have a Tiffany''s around here and I can honestly say that my diamond blows away theirs.

Most online vendors have about a 10 day return policy. You may consider ordering a stone from one of them and letting your eyes be the judge. If it doesn''t totally "light up the room", then send it back (geez, I sound like a commercial!). I think though once you get one of these ideal, or super ideal cuts from one of the vendors here, you''ll be pleasantly surprised.

$4,000 is a great budget and you can get a beautiful ring for that price.

jennyann2

Shiny_Rock
does your $3000-4000 include the setting?

my fiance used good old gold and we loved working with them for the diamond. we then had it set locally in a stuller solstice platinum setting for about $900.

these look good to me at a quick glance:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_76ct_g_si1_h%26a.htm
http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_803ct_f_si2_h%26a.htm
http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_82ct_g_si1_h%26a.htm

if you let us know your color sensitivity or clarity requirements it may be more helpful.

there are many other reputable vendors here besides GOG but they are the only ones i have first hand knowledge working with. check out the "pricescope your diamond" feature above, it''s really helpful.

musicman948

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for all the great replies already!

Anyways, are you absolutely sure HW doesn''t have a ring starting at 3500? I had heard somewhere they did. I might call them up in the next few days to check. I am also going to call Signed Pieces, as I was in contact with them about getting a Tiffany ring. I suppose I''m weird, but I''m not sure if I want to buy a used ring, just doesn''t feel right.....anyways. As for brand names, my girlfriend is really into Tiffany, but that''s just because I''ve taken her there and spoiled her rotten. Even though she likes them, a custom or other luxury brand ring would surely bring a smile to her face as well.

As for a custom ring, if I built my own, I''d want a diamond with the same perfection as the one I had bought earlier, minimum G or H, VVS1-VS2 clarity, round brillant cut GIA certified. I was pricing a .65-.75 carat with these characteristics using your prices quoting tool, and got some great deals, almost as cheap as that .31 I had bought at Tiffany, which is crazy! As for a setting, I haven''t looked anywhere, but I''d like something like a solitaire with much smaller channel set diamonds around it perhaps, in white gold or platinum. A six-prong look would be even better to me, although it seems I''d be trying to copy Tiffany''s design. And I have a local jeweller who could be used to assemble the ring and do a great job.

So, I guess although I would PREFER to try and get a ring at Harry Winston, as brand is sort of important to me, I could live with building my own, and I could get a bigger stone that way. Well, thanks for suggestions already, I appreciate it!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I want to help...i do i do ...I just can't. LOL...I appreciate and respect your decision to go designer. However, we are not talking an intricate, one of a kind setting. (I like a simple classic lokk anyway)....So, that said, a diamond is a diamond is a diamond when it's well cut...with all due respect, you probably have't seen too many diamonds (right?) There is a .8 E Si1 signature on dirt cheap that is beautiful. GOG has many. Mark T can get one for you....they will all just take your breath away...But if you are definitely going deisgner, I wish you luck and I'm sure you'll find a beauty...

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Dude I won''t be as subtle as Moremoremore. I repeat!!! A diamond is a diamond! They come from the same mines dude! I don''t know whay you are talking about used diamonds no one here is. Tiff gets ther diamonds from the same place and puts their name on it.

I would put money on it that you can fine a BETTER, BIGGER, stone and at a LOWER price from ps venders. Also it is always better to build your own. If you really want a good stone you buy it loose so it can be examined. How do you even know that one you purchased at Tiffs was any good? Just cuz it was a high color and clarity-sorry that means nothing. Neither does the fact it has a gia report that only means someone verified the weight, color clarity ect ect. It does not attest to the overall quality.

Anyhoo, I have not had cofffe yet and I do wanna help and the best advice I can give is shop here on ps. I won''t say which vender cuz they are all great and I would go with whom ever has a rock you like. Learn yourself what constitutes a good rock , don''t just trust a label!!!!!Plug in the parameters and shop away.

Also although I am not an advocate of giant stones like most girls here, we all know larger diamonds are rarer so with 4k you should be able to get a larger round here and I do advocate that.

Happy Shopping!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 11:24:23 AM
Author: Kimberly
! I don''t know whay you are talking about used diamonds no one here is.

Kimberly,
Signed Pieces sells previously owned jewelry. I think that''s what he meant when he said "used."

musicman948

Rough_Rock
wellllll

BTW, I have done research and I do know the basic 4C's rules of a diamond. And I have seen MANY diamonds in stores, however, none have yet caught my eye like Tiffany's have. Not to say that a custom ring won't!

Said nothing about making a final choice to go designer, just might be leaning that way. As for the link moremoremore posted, AGAIN, I am not interested in a Slightly Included diamond. Although the cut seems great on that diamond, as for clarity, I don't want to be able to see any visible flaws. I suppose this was the original reason I liked Tiffany and why I would probably like Harry Winston or Cartier if I saw them in person, other jewellers you could spot the flaws in the diamond, even if it was bigger, they frequently used SI or even I diamonds.

Anyways, just thought I'd clarify that, I'm not interested in a human-eye visibly flawed diamond I guess. As for diamond suppliers, who do you guys think is the best for quality and price? Might as well set my standards high, thanks!

P.S. by used I meant "previously owned" lol.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 11:24:23 AM

I would put money on it that you can fine a BETTER, BIGGER, stone and at a LOWER price from ps venders. Also it is always better to build your own. If you really want a good stone you buy it loose so it can be examined. How do you even know that one you purchased at Tiffs was any good? Just cuz it was a high color and clarity-sorry that means nothing. Neither does the fact it has a gia report that only means someone verified the weight, color clarity ect ect. It does not attest to the overall quality.

Also although I am not an advocate of giant stones like most girls here, we all know larger diamonds are rarer so with 4k you should be able to get a larger round here and I do advocate that.

Happy Shopping!

There have been many discussions here on the quality of Tiffany. We all know they are overpriced but Tiffany does hold a certain standard on the diamonds they will sell. For a lot of people the numbers and details are not important. They want to walk in and pick a pretty ring. Tiffany has earned that reputation IMHO. Kaleigh has a killer ring from Tiffany and the stone ROCKS. If the name is important to musicman and his lady, there is nothing wrong with that. Some people don't want to find a bigger and better stone. We must respect that
2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Music- at that size (which is a nice size mind you) you won't see any inclusions in a vs2 and probably 9 out of 10 Si1 or even dare I say si2. Read up on clarity!

LOL Kimberly...the red print isn't quite so subtle!
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 11:38:50 AM
Author: musicman948

Said nothing about making a final choice to go designer, just might be leaning that way. As for the link moremoremore posted, AGAIN, I am not interested in a Slightly Included diamond. Although the cut seems great on that diamond, as for clarity, I don''t want to be able to see any visible flaws. I suppose this was the original reason I liked Tiffany and why I would probably like Harry Winston or Cartier if I saw them in person, other jewellers you could spot the flaws in the diamond, even if it was bigger, they frequently used SI or even I diamonds.

Anyways, just thought I''d clarify that, I''m not interested in a human-eye visibly flawed diamond I guess. As for diamond suppliers, who do you guys think is the best for quality and price? Might as well set my standards high, thanks!

Hi musicman,
You just hit on an important factor about "eye-clean" Believe it or not there are diamonds out there that are SI1''s and SI2''s that are eyeclean. When diamonds are graded they are graded under magnification. The diamond MMM linked you too could very well be eye-clean. There are a bunch of people on this site, myself included that own or have owned eye-clean SI2''s. In my stone, you could see nothing without a loupe and even with a loupe I could never find anything. The sparkle factor comes from CUT not color or clarity.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Musicman,

I think everyone here just wants you to get MORE for your money. That's all we're trying to say...I bought my wedding band from Tiffany (semi-eternity channel set Lucida band in platinum)...that was 2 years ago and now I just want to KICK MYSELF for not shopping around first and just assuming Tiffany's or any other name brand has superior stones. I could have gotten TWO bands at any other store for what I paid for ONE at Tiffanys. They sell stones from D to H in color and down to VS2 in clarity. It's likely they don't go down to SI1 because that would be a bigger task for them to try and sort out the eye clean ones from the non eye clean ones. But no one there will know anything about cut.

I had a 0.75 ct I color, SI1 stone and never once saw anything by eye, or with my 10X loupe. Could never find a THING. Now I have a 1.5 ct D color, VS2 pear. Still can't find a thing by eye or loupe. Just check around before you plunk down the money at a name brand store. A lot of what you are paying is the name brand price. If you are set on Tiffs or HW, then go for it. But you will be getting a stone that is likely half as big as what you could get for that same money elsewhere. If you're cool with that, then go name brand if that floats your boat!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome from another St. Louisan...

Let me first start with *my* experience with the St. Louis Tiffany's store...IT SUCKS AND SO DOES THE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I am glad that YOU had a good experience but that store RUINED that company for me and anyone I know. The whole company just blows. Every time we had the misfortune of having to speak with or see them, they made it as hurtful and difficult as they could. Something else I learned in the process of dealing with that sad excuse for a "jeweler" was that even WAL-MART sells better cut stones than Tiffany's. I found their stones to be mediocre, at best. I wish I had figured that out before I put myself through the hell of working with them.

Ok...Im ok...*breathe* I cannot legally say much more since there are lawyers involved.

That said, yea I am a little stunned that that Cartier store closed as well...that was just weird. Then again I never saw anyone in there, working or otherwise...and it didn't honestly seem "Galleria" to me, more Frontenac.

I just decided to avoid "high end" jewelers and their "reputations" and buy a FANTASTIC stone without a retarded mark up.

Anyway...we bought my final stone (probably the 4th ring in this mess...) through Vincent's on Olive at Ballas. I found the STAR 129 cut through them. I found that I liked the extra facets to really make the stone pop. It's cut is supreme and I find myself enjoying being a jerk and going to our local Tiffany's to let them see a GREAT stone, as compared to their not-as-good cut. They all fawn and they all say "that's a Tiffany stone isn't it" and I proudly exclaim, in a "yea right" tone "Yea...No. I wanted something that would be of some semblance of quality so I didn't buy from Tiffany's."

Another jeweler I'd have bought from was one of two PS vendors. Id have gone with a Solasfera from GOG, or an ACA from Whiteflash, who ended up making my wedding band. The sparkle of those ACA's matches that of my Star 129. And you can't beat the perfect cut.

So my advice--go through Whiteflash if you want that whole package of fantastic cut and a great setting, they do great custom work. I don't believe GOG does custom work.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Kimberly,
Signed Pieces sells previously owned jewelry. I think that's what he meant when he said "used."
mrssalvo

Thankyou for educating me I did not know that. :)

The rest was my opinion. I spent time writing it so it is clear I care. Let him Harry Winston if he choices too . He came here and ASKED for advice and we are all giving it.

I was calling it as I saw it. I never said Tiff sucks just saying he could get the same diamond quality rock here for a better price. I personaly love designer things as well but I know I need to draw the line due to budget constrants.

A 4 k budget is not large at Tiff's or Winston's but it is not too shabby here at ps.

the red print isn't quite so subtle! Moremore what you said was so good I had to repeat it in red so all would notice. I was not trying to be subtle!!! haha I was tryng to be RED.
31.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 10:46:32 AM
Even though she likes them, a custom or other luxury brand ring would surely bring a smile to her face as well.

So, I guess although I would PREFER to try and get a ring at Harry Winston, as brand is sort of important to me, I could live with building my own, and I could get a bigger stone that way. Well, thanks for suggestions already, I appreciate it!

Here's what musicman said. Seems like he wants to go with a designer. In our eagerness to help someone find the best deal we sometimes forget or don't notice what they are really looking for.

Kimberly,
I did not interpret your post as vendictive at all, I just wanted to bring back the other side which seemed to get lost for a second. You have a right to state you opionion as do I, please don't be offended, that was not my intent
2.gif
1.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I think if you want to go designer and still want a resonable price then you ought to look to Bill Pearlman of Pearlman''s Jewelers. They offer a ton of diffrent designer names under one roof. Also they have a closeout section which has some e-ring choices Closeout and a previously owned sections as well Previously Owned. What are your prioties with your budget? Setting? Stone size/quality for the money? With a bit more info it will be a lot easier to find the perfect ring for you and your lady. Welcome to PS.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Not offended Mrs Salvo. Love your doggie too!

I clearly respect his designer name wishes and his color, clarity wishes. I think I was clear on that too. But he said PREFER! He also said he would not mind building his own which I was responding to as well as I think that a great option.

I myself had to go with a vs2 or better for "mental" reasons, rather than facts, and would not tolerate anything lower than an F even though few could tell the diff! So I am in tune with what is important to someone. On PS I could afford what I wanted. At Tiff's I could not.

I was trying to educate Music that a label does not Always guarantee quality and of course the stone popped as all stones do under those lights! If Music ever goes to upgrade the Tiff ring will be worth "what it is worth" and probably not what he paid.

Of course-appraisors may chime in here.

Now I am going to look at Tacori and Mark Morrel settings. hehehehe

musicman948

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Kimberly! She sums up my intentions. I said PREFER, not goin to go designer! That''s why I came here, to get real answers, from real people, not a sales clerk on commission.

Anyways, I called HW in New York today....an HW setting solitaire of .53 carats, F quality, 6300 dollars! Yeah, so forget that, that is insane markup. I''ve heard people say they get occassional G''s for cheaper, but still, that''s insane for a half-carat.

As for Tiffany, for three grand, I could probably almost get a half carat, although here on PS, I could probably go closer to .75 . It''s a dilemma. And btw, ame, ask for Steven next time you go to St. Louis Tiffany, a class act guy who never tried to push me into anything or look down upon me.

So anyways, it''s a hard decision.....have to think about it for a while. Sometimes I think I should just create my own to have that original flavor, on the other hand, I still like Tiffany''s stuff too, and their quality is great, and I''m afraid after buying a Tiffany diamond once already, I''m going to expect that look out of every setting and diamond i see. As for Cartier, there''s a store not far from me in Chicago, so that''s another possibility, but I believe, like Harry Winston, they are simply going to be outta my price range to get something halfway decent. Well, if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know, I am open to all ideas!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 6:18:49 PM

So anyways, it''s a hard decision.....have to think about it for a while. Sometimes I think I should just create my own to have that original flavor, on the other hand, I still like Tiffany''s stuff too, and their quality is great, and I''m afraid after buying a Tiffany diamond once already, I''m going to expect that look out of every setting and diamond i see.
musicman- I think the point that you seem to be missing is that Tiffany is just not the end all be all as far as quality goes. If you were to buy elsewhere, you could buy something that is just as high quality, if not BETTER, for less money- or go for a bigger stone. You don''t have to compromise on quality or look of the ring if you buy a non-Tiffany ring.

That said, if you and your girl won''t be happy w/out the Tiffany ring and the blue box, then by all means buy there! You can certainly buy a nice ring there.

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
just my 2 cents, but if you are on a budget, why go with Tiffanys? As much as I like designer items (marc jacobs bags, michele watch, and of course tiffanys necklaces and a few rings) with an engagement ring it just wasnt important to me. Grated we are not designing a traditional ring but size and quality is much more important than the label in a ring. I work on Michigan Ave and I dont know anyone with a Tiffanys engagement ring, you just cant get the size and quality for the price, and when you speaking diamonds size beats out the little blue box. Check out Ritani and tacori if you want name brand... you still will get more for less. again, just my 2 cents.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Ok dude here you go. These are very well cut rounds all here on ps.
All H or BETTER.
All vs2 or HIGHER
All great cuts with proof of cut provided!
All under 4000K.
All from rockin venders we all trust.
All gia reports.

I punched in .4-.8 carat, excellent cut only,d-h,gia, vs2 or better.

Do the search yourself! My god the options are endless! Rounds are so easy to find. So plentiful and perfect!

No sales tax usually either! I am assumming 4k is the total budget. You can get elegant plat settings for all these stones and stay under that amount. The setting you descibe I think will be at least 1200 though. Do the cut search yourself and your diamond will surely sparkle!

0.40 F VS2 1.6-EX
ex-vg-vg-vg 0 60.6% 55% 34.8° 40.9° thn no ex ex no 4.79-4.81x2.91 GIA $897*S
0.43 F VS1 2-EX
ex-vg-vg-vg 0 60.5% 56% 34.9° 41° thn f no ex ex no 4.90-4.92x2.97 GIA $1146*S
0.45 E VS2 2-EX
ex-vg-vg-vg 0 61.5% 56% 34.8° 41° med f no ex ex no 4.93-4.96x3.04 GIA $1074*S
0.50 E VS2 1.5-EX
ex-vg-vg-ex 0 60.3% 56% 34.7° 40.9° v thn-thin f no ex ex ft 5.18-5.20x3.13 GIA $1662*S
0.50 E VS1 1.4-EX
ex-ex-vg-vg 0
H&A 60.8% 55.3% 34.4° 40.9° 0.99% ex ex no 5.165x5.185x3.145 GIA $2581S
0.51 F VS2 1.6-EX
ex-vg-vg-vg 0 60.5% 55% 34.8° 40.9° thn f no ex ex no 5.21-5.23x3.16 GIA $1705*S
0.52 F VVS2 1.1-EX
ex-ex-ex-vg 0
H&A 61.2% 54.4% 34.2° 40.8° 1.25% ex ex ft 5.225x5.238x3.200 GIA $2622S
0.54 G VS2 2-EX
ex-vg-vg-vg 0 60.8% 55% 34.8° 41° thn-f no ex ex no 5.29-5.34x3.23 GIA $1589*S
0.54 E VVS2 0.9-EX
ex-ex-ex-vg 0
H&A 60.6% 54.2% 33.7° 40.8° 1.58% ex ex neg 5.265x5.427x3.242 GIA $2841S
0.54 D VS1 1.5-EX
ex-vg-vg-vg 0 60.9% 56% 34.6° 40.9° thn-med, factet no ex ex mb 5.24x5.31x3.21 GIA $2323
0.57 G VS1 1.1-EX
ex-ex-ex-vg 0 61.3% 57% 35.2° 40.6° med, f no ex ex no 5.30x5.34x3.26 GIA $2170
0.58 E VS1 0.7-EX
ex-ex-ex-vg 0 61.3% 57% 35° 40.4° med-sl thk, f no ex ex no 5.30x5.33x3.26 GIA $2402
0.60 G VVS2 1.5-EX
ex-ex-ex-vg 0 61.9% 55% 34.9° 40.8° thn-med, factet no ex ex no 5.40x5.48x3.37 GIA $2374
0.60 G VVS2 1-EX
ex-ex-ex-vg 0
H&A 61.1% 54.7% 34° 40.8° 1.29% ex ex neg 5.469x5.496x3.351 GIA $2693
0.63 F VS1 0.8-EX
ex-ex-ex-vg 0 61.2% 57% 34.8° 40.6° med-sl thk, f no ex ex no 5.48x5.50x3.36 GIA $2435
0.71 E VS2 1-EX
ex-ex-ex-vg 0 61.4% 54% 34.5° 40.7° med, f no ex ex ft 5.77x5.80x3.55 GIA $3415

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, We can definately help you find a diamond that will sparkle as much, if not better than a Tiffany ring
2.gif

Kimberly gave you a bunch to check out. Have you seen this Whiteflash Tiffany Setting. This is 00dmn new ring.

navins%20(2).jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 6:18:49 PM

As for Tiffany, for three grand, I could probably almost get a half carat, although here on PS, I could probably go closer to .75 . It's a dilemma. And btw, ame, ask for Steven next time you go to St. Louis Tiffany, a class act guy who never tried to push me into anything or look down upon me.
He's one of the folks that screwed us over, so, not likely. We won't be giving them money or positive anything. They REALLY messed up.

Aside from that, Seriously, Go with a PS vendor. You can get a GREAT stone, of any size you choose, without the markup. When you buy Tiffany's or Cartier or Winston, you aren't really buying quality, you are buying name and an "ok" stone, unless obviously you throw 50K at it for clearer more colorless stones. Frankly the cut quality, to me, doesn't get any better than mediocre, regardless of price.

I believe SEVERAL great ones to look into are posted right above me, but call down there or email them for a few ideas, they really sell quality stones, man. And I am a psychotic nit-pik..denise can vouch. haha!

PS--cut and clarity do not make it ideal, the CUT quality does. You can get a really icey white D, VVS clarity but if its cut poorly itll look crappy.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Hey I love that setting. It must be new! I need a setting I am gonna go look at it now!!! Thanks!!

I can't find it. What is 00dmn ?

I want a tapered plat setting! So hard to find!

Hey music what do ya think of those Excellent cuts? On PS you get proof they are excellent cuts! Try getting that at most b and m stores!

:)

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
my fiance was originally stuck on the idea of tiffany's. he thought it was the only place you could get quailty, nothing sparkles like tiffany's, etc. well, i went to the store in Dallas to check it out. Not only were they super-high priced ($7900 for about a .6 ct lucida, I can't remember specs), but the sales people were really snooty to me, I felt embarrassed for even asking to see anything. Their diamonds were pretty, but not enough for me to let him pay that much! Also, i wanted a more unique setting, and theirs were so simple. so we started looking online... after a long search and a first setting purchased at a mall jeweler (bad idea, we didn't know better at the time), we ended up with a custom designed platinum wedding set, .55 super-ideal center stone and .26 tw of sidestones, for within your budget, from Whiteflash. They never pressured me, did great work, and were wonderful to work with. I have bought two SI1 stones from them and I cannot see ANYthing with my eye, and I am pretty sensitive to inclusions!

I went to three Tiffany stores after getting my ring- in Tokyo, Yokohama, and Saipan. I can honestly say my stone outsparkled theirs, and for about half their prices! Tiffany rings are beautiful, but I'm thrilled with my ring! Best of luck with whatever you choose! :D

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 10:46:32 AM
Wow, thanks for all the great replies already!

Anyways, are you absolutely sure HW doesn't have a ring starting at 3500? I had heard somewhere they did. I might call them up in the next few days to check. I am also going to call Signed Pieces, as I was in contact with them about getting a Tiffany ring. I suppose I'm weird, but I'm not sure if I want to buy a used ring, just doesn't feel right.....anyways. As for brand names, my girlfriend is really into Tiffany, but that's just because I've taken her there and spoiled her rotten. Even though she likes them, a custom or other luxury brand ring would surely bring a smile to her face as well.

As for a custom ring, if I built my own, I'd want a diamond with the same perfection as the one I had bought earlier, minimum G or H, VVS1-VS2 clarity, round brillant cut GIA certified. I was pricing a .65-.75 carat with these characteristics using your prices quoting tool, and got some great deals, almost as cheap as that .31 I had bought at Tiffany, which is crazy! As for a setting, I haven't looked anywhere, but I'd like something like a solitaire with much smaller channel set diamonds around it perhaps, in white gold or platinum. A six-prong look would be even better to me, although it seems I'd be trying to copy Tiffany's design. And I have a local jeweller who could be used to assemble the ring and do a great job.

**Edit**
sorry I just read that you made phone call to HW.
I didn't read well

blkcat

Rough_Rock
I''m just starting to look too for my own ring. And the first places I checked out were the big 3 Cartier, Tiffany''s, Harry Winston. I called Harry Winston to ask about one of their rings they had online. It was ruby and diamond. They were extremely nice. I picked the las vegas store cause I thought they''d be friendlier than the others. The ring was $615,000. So that''s a little out of my bugdet -- LOL.

But if you do go for HW, I wouldn''t advise the H or W ring. It''s too much advertising. It just seemed weird to me to have a label that prodominantly on your engagement ring.

As for Cartier, I could not get an email price, they kept telling me to go to the store. Well, I went to the one in SF and several in Paris, and I did not see the ring I wanted so I gave up.

After looking on this site I found Leon Mege. His work is just breath taking. So I''ve decided to go with that and buy the stone separately. After looking a lot in Tiffany''s etc I realized that while I was drawn to the name and the quality, in reality their rings were super boring. And since everyone makes reproductions it''s not very different than a cheaper one except the stamp. (assuming you buy the same quality diamond.)The more I thought about it, the more I wanted something more unique and personal.

Anyway, before you decide check out Leon''s site to get a taste of what''s out there:
www.artofplatinum.com

Not sure is he''s in your budget as I''m just starting to learn more about his work from this site.

I''ve also seeen other people post that Mark Morell is good, I don''t have the link to his site though.

As a side note, I think if I were surprised by a ring I would rather it be a "temporary" one and then get to pick out the real one. considering it''s more than likely the most treasured and pricey piece of jewelry a girl owns, or at least her first major piece, I think it''s nice to make sure it''s what she wants. But that''s assuming you haven''t already been shown pictures by her dropping hints - LOL.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 10:12:57 PM
Hey I love that setting. It must be new! I need a setting I am gonna go look at it now!!! Thanks!!

I can't find it. What is 00dmn ?

Here's the link

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results