carat
color
clarity

DSS? Already?? Would this be madness...

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1402102788|3688214 said:
I would keep the diamond you have and put the extra money into the setting.

Also, the sunlight thing, if you do a search for "diamond looks dark in sunlight" or something you'll get a LOT of scientific explanations. It has something to do with the super-bright sparkles being unable to be resolved by your eyes OR SOMETHING IDK SCIENCE *handwaves of magic* Basically it's completely normal behavior for a well-cut diamond.

OoohShiny|1402063769|3687771 said:
I can't spend as much as the stone on just the band, that would be crazy... :shock:

Get over that thinking! If you think she'll be happy with the size you got and she isn't going to want to upgrade, spend however much on the setting as you need to in order to get her something she'll love. Most people don't look at it as stone + setting but as a complete ring. I mostly have colored stones and almost all of the settings are at least the cost of the stone - sometimes several times it. But if the stone isn't in the right setting, it's not going to be as impactful, so imo it's worth it to spend more to get the right one.
I like your scientific explanation, it's good enough for me :D lol

I just struggle to comprehend spending, potentially, $3k on a Sholdt or Kretchmer setting made out of, what, perhaps eight grams of platinum at most? I thought platinum was only about $50 a gram at the moment ($1450 an ounce, c.28 grams in an ounce), so what does the rest of the money go on?!? :shock:

I had only budgeted about £500 for a setting but I've since been looking round and like the more expensive ones more... :roll: :lol:

I take the point, though - do it once, do it right!

We will see what I can work out... I have trawled so many ring sites now, I have lost track of all the options and need to go through my excel spreadsheet with screengrabs and re-evaluate and put them into some sort of order! It's harder than deciding the X Factor finalists.. LoL

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OP, I am with you on the setting issue at least in that I have recently been liking more simple but still very well made setting, however, in my case it is because I want my fancy colors to take centerstage in the setting. This truly depends though because my settings are still handforged and keep in mind that when there is a lot of intricate design involved, it is time consuming and requires a lot of talent on the part of the craftsmen. Same thing that a cut diamond obviously costs a lot more per carat than a rough, it is not just the material but top workmanship can be very expensive because so much depends on it. I do have to admit that I love antiques or antique style settings too and those are extremely complicated to make, imagine an Art Noveau or Art Deco design handforged, how much expertise and time is required for it to happen. I own a lot of intricate designs too and want to make some as well and I have recently had my Art Deco watch restored and just the restoration can take days when the jeweler/watchmaker works only on that one piece and that rarely is the case. If you are happy with a simple solitaire setting then you can get it at a much lower price and some of those are gorgeous. If, however, you want to have vintage style, handforged (or at least handforged in part) with diamonds in the shank and/or halo, etc. you have to pay for not only the extra diamond melee but also for the workmanship involved in setting each small stone. Tough call, I generally like to spend most on the stone too but when I see a stunning piece of a jewel like an Art Noveau butterfly with many tiny stones, enamel, etc. I can understand why a setting can actually cost a lot more than the material it contains (including stones and metal). Really cool thread you started.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would keep the CBI diamond. The change wouldn't be that noticeable in size and the diamond you have is beautiful.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I think it may be a little PS madness because I suffer from it too!!! :D I've just upgraded to a 0.73 OEC but it faces up similar yours, I totally love it but couldn't stop the voice in my head saying "but maybe I could go bigger"!!! Honestly though for the money it would cost, it just doesn't seem worth the value for the size increase and from the sounds of it you have one beautiful diamond. For what it's worth I think that's a really decent size for the UK.

I feel your pain on the setting front too, I hadn't realised I may need a re-set and started looking at prices and they have definitely shot up. If you have the extra cash (that you would have put towards the bigger diamond) I agree it should go towards the setting, such a gorgeous stone needs to be in a lovely one to show it off to its best. If you want an analogy I guess it would be like having the most beautiful silk fabric in a badly cut dress that looked like a bin bag, both parts are important to create the whole.

Lovely to see other UK PS members on this thread! :wavey:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the input everyone :)

I think the price of platinum has risen a lot over the past few years, hence the cost to get rings made is now higher :( but such is life... *sigh* lol

I really like the Steven Kretchmer Omega Round: http://www.stevenkretchmer.com/mobile/ (it's on the site under Rings) but from what I can see, it's something like $5k??
http://www.stuartmoore.com/url/product:31-05-013
That seems a lot for not a lot of metal... :shock: Cool though it is and I do appreciate the technology and research needed behind the alloys...

The other one I like, the Split Gothic Elara, is only marginally less at $4600!
http://www.stuartmoore.com/url/product:31-05-016
and its big sister is almost $6k!
http://www.stuartmoore.com/url/product:31-05-029

The Niessing stuff seems even more expensive!!
http://www.stuartmoore.com/url/Niessing#
although this is super-cool in Stainless Steel but would probably be $$$$ in platinum...
http://www.hamiltonhilljewelry.com/p-2696-acrobat-ring-in-steel.aspx

Even Gelin Abaci is not cheap, pushing $6k :shock:
http://www.sndgems.com/gelin-abaci-tension-ring-2004B.htm

I do wonder exactly how much 'label' one pays for in these prices. Going from the fact that this place has a 50% off sale on (or thereabouts) on certain items, such as below, I think it's safe to say there's substantial profit margin... lol
http://www.hamiltonhilljewelry.com/p-2944-soft-undercut-shoulder-tension-ring-with-channel-set-accents.aspx

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Agnasia! :wavey:

Those are some very cool settings Oosh, I really like the Omega and keep thinking how fab that Infinity would look...which do you think your GF would prefer out of those designs?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It seems to me that your girlfriend really likes simple, traditional settings. Perhaps you could direct your creativity into a wedding ring for you. :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am hoping that I can put off this wedding malarkey for a while if I can get a ring on her finger ;-) :tongue: lol

Lorelei|1402217832|3688730 said:

Those are some very cool settings Oosh, I really like the Omega and keep thinking how fab that Infinity would look...which do you think your GF would prefer out of those designs?
I'm not sure she'd like the niessing stuff, I think that's more for me :razz: and she might not even be keen on the Omega ring, despite the fact it's stunning simplicity! I think she'd come round to it but I think I probably should look for something more delicate, which would rule out tension settings :(

TBH the cost is pretty much ruling them out anyway, I can't spend 5 grand on a ring!! :shock: lol

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1402235054|3688796 said:
I am hoping that I can put off this wedding malarkey for a while if I can get a ring on her finger ;-) :tongue: lol

I'm not sure she'd like the niessing stuff, I think that's more for me :razz: and she might not even be keen on the Omega ring, despite the fact it's stunning simplicity! I think she'd come round to it but I think I probably should look for something more delicate, which would rule out tension settings :(

TBH the cost is pretty much ruling them out anyway, I can't spend 5 grand on a ring!! :shock: lol

I think you need to think about a more delicate setting for her then you can go for a super spiffy architectural design for your wedding ring, preferably with an Octavia asscher set in it somewhere.... :tongue:
nails.gif

creepaway3.gif

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
marcy|1402175186|3688576 said:
I would keep the CBI diamond. The change wouldn't be that noticeable in size and the diamond you have is beautiful.
+1 Shiny, you have a superbly cut diamond! Remember, after you buy your house, you can trade in your CBI for a larger CBI if you can talk Mrs. Shiny into it. By then, you might have infected her with DSS too. :lol: It wouldn't be worth it to go bigger if the cut isn't as good....you've been spoiled by the CBI now and you will be hard-pressed to be as dazzled by any other cut, imo.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the Lily setting at Whiteflash. It is simple, elegant and unique.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1402103361|3688225 said:
kenny|1402100071|3688190 said:
OoohShiny|1402098677|3688183 said:
In the meantime, does anyone want a kidney? Might get me halfway to that Octavia Asscher... lol

If you're just dying for an Octavia send me both your kidneys, I'll send you my Octavia Asscher. :lol:

Just kidding.
Put that knife away. :errrr:

I'm sure your diamond ring will be beautiful and bring you much joy.
Note that I didn't specify that it would be my kidneys... :wink2: :naughty: :bigsmile:

They're in the post! I will look forward to receiving probably the best looking men's ring I've seen on here shortly :tongue: lol

Oh good, there's Proto, I was wondering where he was.... :naughty: :lol:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei|1402261868|3688970 said:
OoohShiny|1402103361|3688225 said:
kenny|1402100071|3688190 said:
OoohShiny|1402098677|3688183 said:
In the meantime, does anyone want a kidney? Might get me halfway to that Octavia Asscher... lol

If you're just dying for an Octavia send me both your kidneys, I'll send you my Octavia Asscher. :lol:

Just kidding.
Put that knife away. :errrr:

I'm sure your diamond ring will be beautiful and bring you much joy.
Note that I didn't specify that it would be my kidneys... :wink2: :naughty: :bigsmile:

They're in the post! I will look forward to receiving probably the best looking men's ring I've seen on here shortly :tongue: lol

Oh good, there's Proto, I was wondering where he was.... :naughty: :lol:
hahahaa! :lol:

Lorelei|1402236550|3688812 said:
OoohShiny|1402235054|3688796 said:

I think you need to think about a more delicate setting for her then you can go for a super spiffy architectural design for your wedding ring, preferably with an Octavia asscher set in it somewhere.... :tongue:
nails.gif

creepaway3.gif
I like your thinking ;-) :D

SandyinAnaheim|1402256452|3688929 said:
marcy|1402175186|3688576 said:
+1 Shiny, you have a superbly cut diamond! Remember, after you buy your house, you can trade in your CBI for a larger CBI if you can talk Mrs. Shiny into it. By then, you might have infected her with DSS too. :lol: It wouldn't be worth it to go bigger if the cut isn't as good....you've been spoiled by the CBI now and you will be hard-pressed to be as dazzled by any other cut, imo.
I think you're right - probably the only reason I think I'd change it is to upgrade to slightly bigger / a higher colour CBI stone! I keep taking it out to look at it when the other half is out, I must stop that because I fear damaging it with all the handling! lol

VRBeauty|1402235771|3688803 said:

proto|1402259305|3688950 said:
http://www.gelinabaci.com/tension_collection.php for some more reasonably priced tension rings.

I believe Soloman Brothers are an authorised retailer, so they should be able to order whatever model you ask them for.
Many thanks for the suggestions, both :)

I don't think I'd had a look at Solomon brothers before now, and had forgotten about some of the whiteflash options! I literally have a spreadsheet with links and pictures in and I think it's over 1000 lines long, now, taking into account decent size pictures... :shock:

Out of all of those, I reckon it may be the Keystone that gets the nod:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/keystone-half-bezel-solitaire-engagement-ring-1103.htm

Low set stone, as requested, no prongs so it looks 'clean', and should give enough protection for day to day wear :) and it's only just over $1k in platinum! I'd prefer the channels on the inside filled in, though, but could always ask about that...

I did spot a couple of 'tension effect' rings, though, which look similar to tension designs I like:

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/jewelry_78566

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/jewelry_81925-1

They are both still $3k... :shock: :(

I will have to see what the design place I've found can give me as a similar design, hopefully at a lot lower price!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
'Morning Proto! :wavey:

charks

Rough_Rock
I could be wrong but I thought tension rings were made for specific diamonds as the tension setting is calibrated by a computer using light to identify the exact places where pressure must be applied on the gemstone in order to avoid fracturing it through even pressure distribution.

OoohShiny has the diamond in the UK.

Is he prepared to send it back to the US to have it set?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
teobdl|1402275887|3689057 said:
Hi teobdl :)

Thanks for those links - the Vashon without the diamonds in the sides is one possible option I have been looking at, but as you say, they are not that cheap! The second link is great, though - very close in style for a lot less, thank you :)

proto|1402288405|3689151 said:
I really liked the omega ring and thought these were similar in design

http://www.gelinabaci.com/product_detail.php?id=150

http://www.gelinabaci.com/product_detail.php?id=156

http://www.gelinabaci.com/product_detail.php?id=160

Looking at the Solomons rings as a priceguide between platinum and palladium, this may be another option if you want to get below 3k, rather than below 5k.

Missed you too guys :wavey:
Hey Proto :)

I agree, they are very similar! The 3D moving versions on the website are terrible :lol: but give a good enough general impression.

Palladium requires re-plating, doesn't it? That's my only concern with that option, that and the hardness (and tension strength??)factor. It is a lot cheaper, though...

I really think I'm not going to be able to get a tension setting, which is annoying :( I may just sit on the stone (not literally :shock: :lol: ) for a few weeks and see if my tastes change, though, as they have already done so once and I know I can get slightly fixated on getting something I have my eye on, to the point of reasonable-ness going out the window... :???: :oops: :tongue: lol

The other issue is as charks points out - tension setting requires the stone to be present at the time of the ring's manufacture, I reckon, so if I have to ship it back to the USA to get a ring made, that could potentially be a lot of hassle...

(Will I have to request a VAT refund when sending the stone back out of the country, then pay again when it comes in? I presume not as I would be paying twice on only one purchase, but then the insured value of the package of the complete ring on arrival will be higher (by the price of the stone) than the declared shipped value on which the invoice and therefore VAT and 2.5% import tax would be based (which would be just the price of the ring itself) so my head starts to hurt... :sick: lol)

I also have the 'have they swapped my stone' paranoia! :shock: :lol:

proto

Shiny_Rock
palladium doesnt need plating, it is white enough and barely distinguishable from platinum. I compared some wedding bands at a local jewellers and yes it is very slightly darker, but I dont think i would notice. Have a look at local jewellers and compare.

It is a similar hardness to platinum depending on the alloy and whether it is coldworked etc. No idea what processes different vendors use for tension set rings, or even how tension set rings are made at all tbh.

It is lighter, however tension rings tend ot be a bit chunkier anyway, so I expect it will still have a good weight, it may just feel light by reference to is size.

http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/meet_the_experts/working-palladium-baoexpert.html

http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/meet_the_experts/palladium_baoexpert.html

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
OoohShiny said:
Shiny, with all the paranoias you could potentially adopt, this shouldn't be one of them. Your stone is not only inscribed but should have the Infinity insignia on the girdle as well. I don't think there are many jewelers that could duplicate that, or would for a stone of your size. So you could look at it before and after through their microscope to be certain. Now if you said a 4ct CBI.... :-o

As for settings, I had mine designed to be low set as well as I'm a bit brutish. But I wanted as much light to enter the stone as possible. Maybe you could go to a local jeweler so you could see it set in a few different settings - that might be helpful for you to visualize how the settings impact the stone? Mine is in a classic simple u-prong and I think it allows the stone to glow to its full potential. Just a thought.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
I personally love a good 6 prong in that size. The setting will not overwhelm the diamond but really highlight it's beauty by lifting it off the finger. The 6 prongs maintain the roundness of the stone rather than 4 prongs. Check out mark morrells torchiere.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing to keep in mind is the ease of getting a setting worked on or sized - I don't know if that will be an issue with palladium. Women's ring sizes sometimes change with pregnancy...

charks

Rough_Rock
Just for the record.

I have had a palladium ring for over 7 years and have been very pleased with the metal's performance.

It doesn't tarnish and stays bright without much cleaning.

And it doesn't seem to scratch much - I haven't had to have it re polished.

Perfect for everyday wear.

I have replaced that setting with a Ritani halo also in palladium.

As I live in the UK I had to order the setting from the US and had the stone set here.

It all worked out and I'm very happy with the new setting.

I'm sure you could find a setting you like in the US.

Just one problem - it took over 10 weeks from ordering the setting to having the stone set so leave yourself plenty of time.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
proto|1402326592|3689400 said:
palladium doesnt need plating, it is white enough and barely distinguishable from platinum. I compared some wedding bands at a local jewellers and yes it is very slightly darker, but I dont think i would notice. Have a look at local jewellers and compare.

It is a similar hardness to platinum depending on the alloy and whether it is coldworked etc. No idea what processes different vendors use for tension set rings, or even how tension set rings are made at all tbh.

It is lighter, however tension rings tend ot be a bit chunkier anyway, so I expect it will still have a good weight, it may just feel light by reference to is size.

http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/meet_the_experts/working-palladium-baoexpert.html

http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/meet_the_experts/palladium_baoexpert.html
Thanks for the info, great links there :) Going from that first link, Palladium has no 'memory'? :???: so maybe it is not suitable for tension settings! Still possible for other settings, though, although would I prefer the 'heft' of platinum? I feel like spending such a wedge of money should get one something that feeeels like it is expensive lol (Ignoring Carbon Fibre etc ;-) )

SandyinAnaheim|1402327919|3689411 said:
OoohShiny said:
Shiny, with all the paranoias you could potentially adopt, this shouldn't be one of them. Your stone is not only inscribed but should have the Infinity insignia on the girdle as well. I don't think there are many jewelers that could duplicate that, or would for a stone of your size. So you could look at it before and after through their microscope to be certain. Now if you said a 4ct CBI.... :-o

As for settings, I had mine designed to be low set as well as I'm a bit brutish. But I wanted as much light to enter the stone as possible. Maybe you could go to a local jeweler so you could see it set in a few different settings - that might be helpful for you to visualize how the settings impact the stone? Mine is in a classic simple u-prong and I think it allows the stone to glow to its full potential. Just a thought.
LoL Fair point on the likelihood of swapping :bigsmile: I definitely want an 'open' setting, that's the only thing that is steering me away from the Sholdt and Vashon type of settings, although they do offer added protection. I think I need to find out if anyone I know can CAD stuff up!

teobdl|1402328943|3689434 said:
I personally love a good 6 prong in that size. The setting will not overwhelm the diamond but really highlight it's beauty by lifting it off the finger. The 6 prongs maintain the roundness of the stone rather than 4 prongs. Check out mark morrells torchiere.
Would you say 6 prong settings make stones look bigger? Or smaller? I don't want to overwhelm the stone :shock: My other worry is that prongs can be bent, so perhaps a lower tension or tension-like setting would be better. :confused:

VRBeauty|1402330286|3689461 said:
One thing to keep in mind is the ease of getting a setting worked on or sized - I don't know if that will be an issue with palladium. Women's ring sizes sometimes change with pregnancy...
This is a good point! The other half is not skinny and, TBH, I doubt she ever will be (she does not like exercise and would rather pop pills in a pointless attempt to lose a couple of pounds short term while continuing to trough through sweets and high calorie snacks just before bed... but I digress :roll: ) so I think I will be fairly safe if I do get a tension setting. I guess that if she does ever get skinny then it would be a lot easier just to add something within the band's circumference to reduce the overall size without actually changing the ring itself :)

charks|1402335239|3689514 said:
Just for the record.

I have had a palladium ring for over 7 years and have been very pleased with the metal's performance.

It doesn't tarnish and stays bright without much cleaning.

And it doesn't seem to scratch much - I haven't had to have it re polished.

Perfect for everyday wear.

I have replaced that setting with a Ritani halo also in palladium.

As I live in the UK I had to order the setting from the US and had the stone set here.

It all worked out and I'm very happy with the new setting.

I'm sure you could find a setting you like in the US.

Just one problem - it took over 10 weeks from ordering the setting to having the stone set so leave yourself plenty of time.
Thanks for the feedback! That is good to know :) Point taken on the timescales too - I have until perhaps October to ask so I have a little time, but given we are already in June... :shock: lol

Gnargh, all these decisions and worries! I should have been like the bloke that was mentioned to me in a local jewellers the other day - he apparently had come in slightly inebriated from the pub next door, said "I want that one", bought it, then come back 20 minutes later (slighty more inebriated) saying "It's not big enough, I want that one instead" ! :lol:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1402508510|3691025 ''[b][quote="VRBeauty|1402330286|3689461 said:
On
This is a good point! The other half is not skinny and, TBH, I doubt she ever will be (she does not like exercise and would rather pop pills in a pointless attempt to lose a couple of pounds short term while continuing to trough through sweets and high calorie snacks just before bed... but I digress :roll: ) [/b]''

:shock:

Them's fightin' words Oosh, she is going to wallop you if she ever reads that...!!!!!

rollpin.gif

53266vc9f8mmjke.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about letting your lady pick the setting she likes since she will be wearing it?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is potentially a good plan, although she does not 'do' patience or waiting for the unknown/surprises very well, so I might be setting myself up for some weeks of nagging! lol We have casually looked in shop windows, though, at which point she just picks out tiny stones in terrible settings because all she wants me to do is just ask her and wouldn't care if it was with a ring-shaped sweet from a packet of Haribo!

I think I may well take a trip this weekend or next week to the Kretchmer vendor over here - things can look very different in real life to pictures so I will be able to either rule them out on taste grounds or rule them in because they're amazing :) (and then rule them out because of the cost lol)

Lorelei|1402511882|3691076 said:
OoohShiny|1402508510|3691025 ''[b][quote="VRBeauty|1402330286|3689461 said:
On
This is a good point! The other half is not skinny and, TBH, I doubt she ever will be (she does not like exercise and would rather pop pills in a pointless attempt to lose a couple of pounds short term while continuing to trough through sweets and high calorie snacks just before bed... but I digress :roll: ) [/b]''

:shock:

Them's fightin' words Oosh, she is going to wallop you if she ever reads that...!!!!!

rollpin.gif

53266vc9f8mmjke.gif
Apologies - it's just so frustrating watching her ruin her body and refuse to listen to advice or suggestions or fun things to do that are active! :( I'm trying my damnedest to be fitter now than I've been in my younger years, whereas she seems to think two overpriced protein and vitamin shakes for breakfast and lunch means she can have an oversized evening meal then eat an entire packet of viennese whirls followed by a sharing size packet of crisps half hour before bed while slumped on the sofa watching 5 hours of TV series boxset... :roll: :( Like a smoker, she won't 'give up' until she's ready, so there's nothing I can do!!

I guess no-one's perfect and we all have to live with some imperfections in our partners... It's a good job I'm perfect ;-) :tongue: LOL :mrgreen:

charks

Rough_Rock
Hi

Just two points.

Tension rings leave the sides of the diamond unprotected. With very rough use - everyday housework or eating Viennese Whirls etc you might be unlucky and damage the stone.

Thicker ring shanks/bands make the diamond seem smaller, thin shanks/bands make the diamond 'pop'.

I changed my trellis setting with a 3mm band to a Ritani 1.8 mm band and my diamond seems huge in comparison - see my post on it.

IMO a simple platinum/palladium setting with a smallish band would suit your better half. It would look like the rings she sent photos of but 10 times better. As other people have said your diamond is big by UK standards and a thin band will emphasis this. And you haven't wasted too much money on the setting if you do decide to upgrade when you win the lotto. I would go with palladium. You quite rightly pointed out that the amount of metal used in a setting is tiny therefore the metal value is a small part of the total value of a e ring.

Good luck on your decision.

Must go now - got a pack of Viennese Whirls to eat!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results