shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress Pics from my big shopping trip!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/5/2006 6:21:57 PM
Author: onedrop
Wow, you are lucky to be able to take pics! Most places do not seem to allow this. I like that Vera Wang you posted. You didn''t ask opinions, but I like the 2nd Pricilla of Boston on you.
2.gif
I found that the more expensive the store, the less likely they were to allow pics. But I wish I could find even one place that would allow me to photograph the Vera on me. Thanks for the input! I am actually very happy to get other''s opinions!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/5/2006 8:06:24 PM
Author: robbie3982
I love the Lia!
It seems to be a very popular dress...I do like the unusual details!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the first Priscilla. It looks gorgeous on you!!!

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
another vote for the first priscilla. i think it looks perfect on you! it''s a beautiful dress and super flattering. the others all have some parts that i really like, but the priscilla is the whole package for me. if your FI is concerned about it being more simple would you consider a dramatic veil? i didn''t wear a veil so i''m not sure how to pick one, but i think with the right veil and updo it might offer the drama he''s looking for.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First the disclaimer: I''m older and probably more conservative than you.

Then the unsolicited opinion: I love the first Priscilla on you -- understated and classy. The second Priscilla and one or two of the other dresses look like maybe they are wearing you, rather than vice versa.

Thanks for sharing all those surrepticious photos!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2006 6:13:46 PM
Author: FacetFire
Okay, last one, just for fun. I've seen this one in a ton of ads, so I had to try it on. It was so comfy and cute! Too bad FI immediately vetoed it (I knew he would). :) (Yes, I've showed him the photos, since I don't think I'll probably get any of these -- well, who knows). But I just wanted to share them all with you guys because I know I love seeing the photos from when everyone else tries dresses on.

THAT one would be gorgeous in a color as a party/cocktail type dress!

I thought they all each had something nice about them, I like the Vera the best.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I just LOVE the second one!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the first Priscilla of Boston, and the second to last dress pic. The first pricilla of boston has such lovely detailing and fits you wonderfully, very flattering. However, it is different than a lot of the other pics you posted, is it really your style? I love love love the second to last pic on you, classy and glamorous!

I''ll be honest...I do not like the last pic you posted...so puffy it looks like a dress for the prom...sorry, forgive me
3.gif
. I love the vera wang dress. It''s very unique and it could really be a hit. However, it may look outdated in 20 years or so when you look back on your pics with the bubble skirt. This is fine, but something you might want to think about and ask youself if that will bother you later on.

gail013

Shiny_Rock
OK, I''m going out on a solo limb here-I love the Judd Waddell(?) gown, the one you first posted from the internet pic! That is a fantastic, elegant gown, and alot of brides would be afraid to even try it on. With your figure, I bet it looks fantastic on you. It seems to have a combination of alot of the features you like in the other dresses. The soft ruffles are gorgeous, the bodice looks fitted and flattering. If you like the look of a ribbon sash of another color, perhaps you could add a small one. You won''t see that coming and going, and while the Priscilla is nice too, the Judd is much more unique! It reminds me of flower petals.....

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
i vote for the first priscilla also.

very elegant

although they all are gorgeous, and you''ll be great in whichever you choose-

with me, once i got it down to 2 i had to put them on 2 more times each before i got the feel that one was really it.

and someone here gave good advice- be careful re. if the "dress is wearing you",,,that is- you want people to notice you in the dress, not vice versa- not sure if that makes sense,

good luck and thanks for posting the pics- let us know what you decide!

JessaJS

Rough_Rock
Ohh, I love the Judd dress, even though we haven''t seen you in it yet - it''s stunning!! I wish we had pics of you in it!!

I really like the Lia, but maybe I''m partial to it cuz I have loved that style from the first time I saw it!

1.gif

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/5/2006 10:36:22 PM
Author: novia

another vote for the first priscilla. i think it looks perfect on you! it''s a beautiful dress and super flattering. the others all have some parts that i really like, but the priscilla is the whole package for me. if your FI is concerned about it being more simple would you consider a dramatic veil? i didn''t wear a veil so i''m not sure how to pick one, but i think with the right veil and updo it might offer the drama he''s looking for.
We actually don''t like veils...at most, I think I''d do a birdcage style veil. So, I guess it really is up to the dress to create the drama/impact that I want. I really want a WOW dress. No one remembers your actual dress years after the wedding, but I think they remember the impact and the impression they had when they first saw you in it. Or am I wrong?

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/6/2006 2:12:32 AM
Author: kcoursolle
I love the first Priscilla of Boston, and the second to last dress pic. The first pricilla of boston has such lovely detailing and fits you wonderfully, very flattering. However, it is different than a lot of the other pics you posted, is it really your style? I love love love the second to last pic on you, classy and glamorous!

I''ll be honest...I do not like the last pic you posted...so puffy it looks like a dress for the prom...sorry, forgive me
3.gif
. I love the vera wang dress. It''s very unique and it could really be a hit. However, it may look outdated in 20 years or so when you look back on your pics with the bubble skirt. This is fine, but something you might want to think about and ask youself if that will bother you later on.
It''s so funny you say that you think the Vera might look dated. I was concerned that the Judd would look dated due to the ver "now" details like the pick-up style skirt and the sash around the waist. I thought the bbubble skirt would be less obvious in pictures, but a great effect in person. Thanks for the input!!!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again, everyone, for the input! I really do appreciate having other people''s opinions! If I were to narrow it down to the first two- the Vera Wang and the Judd Waddell, which one do you all like? Would either look very dated years down the road due to the details - ie, the bubble hem, or the pick-ups and sash? Of course, anything that is unusual would probably look somewhat dated, right?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
the first Melissa Sweet- pretty & dramatic for maybe an ad, but i don''t know if i''d want it to be my one and only wedding gown. i do love the back, but the front just seems like a puddle of fabric on the ground.

Priscilla of Boston- um, to ho-hum. doesn''t do anythng for me. don''t think it''s the WOW you mentioned you are looking for.

second Priscilla of Boston- again puddle of fabric. if you love this effect, i''d go with the melissa sweet gown between the two.

third Priscilla of Boston- really like this one. the detail along the sides is STUNNING! love this gown with the added colored sash.

E B

Ideal_Rock
My favorite on you has to be the first Melissa Sweet. You and I are practically the same size (and have the same body shape, it looks like) and I think what doesn''t flatter you is the place you have the sash around your waist (because sashes don''t flatter me there, either).

If you moved the sash to just under the bust or got rid of it completely, with proper alterations, I think that dress could look fabulous. The back is amazing.

Between the Judd and the Vera, though...the Vera. Hands down.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi FF!

Well, I have to say, I love the Lia, and I love the off-the-shoulder Priscilla (although can it come strapless?)...They both look lovely on you...when it comes to the Vera vs the Judd, I would have to see them both on you, but I think I like the Judd. Something about the shape of that dress is so romantic and flowy- and I love that look. There''s something about that particular Vera I dont like- maybe that ballon-ish like skirt? No matter what though, you can''t go wrong, they are all gorgeous dresses and you have that kind of shape that almost anything will look amazing on you!!! Good luck!!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I do like the melissa sweet''s on you, but you''re not wild about the front--they''ll prob look better though when in your proper measurements and with heels, I think the front would look alot nicer--what kind of shoes did you try on?

I also love the 2nd Pricilla gown!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
between the judd and vera, not seeing pictures on your bod, i would say the Judd is a better choice. the vera just looks weird on the model and quite frankly...if it don't look good on the model, it ain't gonna look much better on you! thats what i always think anyway when i am shopping from pictures...hahah. but the judd looks very flattering and you said it does flatter you on...and i think it's super cute with the skirt.

as for dated, i wouldn't worry about that because let's face it. no matter how hard we try to not be 'dated' or super trendy in our lifestyles, in 5 years, 10 years, 30 years, 40....it WILL look dated!!! that's just a fact. so get what you really love because it looks wonderful ON that day. it will be nostalgic to look back on it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2006 1:43:54 PM
Author: Mara

While I agree somewhat, I think that certain styles will look much more dated than others. IMO, it's more the "extreme" looks (puffy 80s sleeves, large, dramatic pickups) that won't age as well as sleeker, more simple styles. To be completely honest, the Judd Waddell pickups look so odd to me. It's as if the pick-ups just start so suddenly, out of nowhere! It could just be the picture.

Facet, are you near L.A.? You might want to check out Jenny Lee's boutique. She has gorgeous, simple mermaid styles with fabrics like buttah!
9.gif
I went a month or two ago just expecting a random consultant to help me, but no...it was Jenny Lee herself!

jennyleemermaid.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ebree i don''t really agree, because look at what is back in style right now! 80''s stuff! who''s to say in another 20 or 30 years, whatever we wore won''t look dated OR be back in style? my point is that you cannot gauge trends for the future which to me includes not basing purchasing decisions on ''what might be'' in the future. so people should just buy what they love NOW which is when they are going to wear it. and future silly photo looks be damned.
5.gif

the funny thing about wedding dress shopping is it''s just so darn personal! even just in this own thread, the differences in what people like are striking. some think the ruffles on the floor thing looks odd, i think it looks unique. a few others liked the lia and i think it just looks wonky with that weird tie thing down the leg.
2.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2006 2:45:23 PM
ebree i don't really agree, because look at what is back in style right now! 80's stuff! who's to say in another 20 or 30 years, whatever we wore won't look dated OR be back in style? my point is that you cannot gauge trends for the future which to me includes not basing purchasing decisions on 'what might be' in the future. so people should just buy what they love NOW which is when they are going to wear it. and future silly photo looks be damned.
5.gif

the funny thing about wedding dress shopping is it's just so darn personal! even just in this own thread, the differences in what people like are striking. some think the ruffles on the floor thing looks odd, i think it looks unique. a few others liked the lia and i think it just looks wonky with that weird tie thing down the leg.
2.gif

1.gif
I understand what you're saying, and I think we're on the same page...it is definitely important to buy what you like now. I guess that *in my opinion*, the sleeker styles (a la Audrey Hepburn) will look a little less "'05-'06" than other styles, but I agree- all dresses will look dated at some point.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for the Priscilla with the stripes and flowers (which sounds heinous when written that way, doesn't it?
2.gif
) -- the one you described as being in a ton of ads. I think that looks PERFECT on you!! I like most of the others too, but that one is the one that made me go WOW!

ETA: second favorite is another Priscilla -- the one with the lace down the sides. Really lovely!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol ebree, my mom''s dress is TOTALLY big pouffy sleeves...but that was sooo the style. can you say gunnysack? and in a way, it''s cute because it WAS the style at the time so it''s fun to see that captured in a photo.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I''m the odd man out here!

I LOVE the Priscilla of Boston that looks like the Vera Wang that you love. While the other dresses are beautiful, none of them show off the great shape of your body as that particular dress. It looks like it was made for you!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2006 3:07:43 PM
lol ebree, my mom''s dress is TOTALLY big pouffy sleeves...but that was sooo the style. can you say gunnysack? and in a way, it''s cute because it WAS the style at the time so it''s fun to see that captured in a photo.

LOL! Why was everything so big in the 80s? My ex-stepmother was the queen of the 80s. Acid washed jeans, big, teased hair. She made my dad wear his hair brushed back, like Don Johnson''s was at the time.

Weirdly enough, my mom''s wedding dress was a simple lace sheath, a style that''s still popular today. You can see the age in it (high neck, long sleeves) but it''s so funny to see designers like Monique Lhuillier re-creating it. She said she bought it off the rack for $100. Now, it''d be $4000!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, you guys crack me up! I think any of the looks I like will definitely look dated...because I want something dramatic and striking. Simple lines won't be as dated. I'm sure if I pick a stright A-line with no embroidery or ruffles or sash, it will never look dated. But it would be boring to me, and not my style.

Mara, the surprising thing is that the Vera does look MUCH better on me than the model. I think this is one of the rare cases where having curves helps. A mermaid dress is there to show curves and she has a stick-straight bodice area, so yeah, I definitely agree that it doesn't look that hot on her.

The Judd definitely does have the pick-ups starting out of nowhere, so it is unusual in that respect. It grew on me, though...and now I'm thinking it may be my favorite. Though, let's be honest, I keep going back and forth in my mind. Vera, Judd, Vera, Judd, Judd, Vera, Vera, Judd. LOL! :)

EBree, I'm on the East coast, so nowhere near LA. Some of my favorite dress designers don't have stores anywhere near me at all, which is frustrating me alot. For example, I am in LOVE with some of Angel Sanchez's designs, like this one, but there isn't a store in any of the states I ever get to visit or the states that border where I live. Grrrr.

ASmermaidN820.jpg

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
And this one...:swoon:

ASbubblepickup.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll tell you honestly-- if I were a bridal store I would have my own digital and a large monitor connected to a very basic CPU. I''d take pics of the brides, upload them to my monitor to allow the brides to see how they will look in photos. Then delete the pics if the designer doesn''t allow photos to be distributed, or email them to the brides if they did. It would make a lot of brides happy, allow the shop to control what goes on, and save a lot of arguement. It would be a $1000 dollar investment MAXIMUM-- and you could use the camera and the computer for other things too. 250 for a nice 19inch flat screen monitor, 300 for a nice digital camera, and the rest for the CPU.

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I really love that first dress. I know you don''t like the front of it so much but the back is just to die for... I love the uniqueness of it AND people honestly look at the back of you a lot during your wedding unless you have a supershort ceremony.
28.gif

Either way you look good in all of these so that always helps!

Gypsy, I sure like your idea-- now if you can just get these bridal salons to implement it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results