shape
carat
color
clarity

Don''t drink from hotel room glasses

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
This is beyond disturbing!!!

http://www.snotr.com/video/662

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I saw a video about that (didn''t click on your link but I''m assuming it''s the same) and it was NASTY.
The cleaning staff or the people who give them instructions on how to clean should be ashamed!
38.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
That is beyond disturbing! That's outrageous! I usually don't drink from hotel room glasses. When I do use them, I rinse them. But that's obviously not good enough! I can't believe it!!
29.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I heard about this years ago. I have 2 really good friends that are General Managers of different hotels...they''ve both moved around in different commonly known chain hotels...and they both tell me DON''T DRINK OUT OF THE GLASSES. They also say you should take the bedspread off the bed immediately upon entering the room because it is only washed monthly at best...same for the blankets.....some hotels they''ve worked at only wash the bedding that isn''t sheets once a quarter. Always use a hand towel or a wash cloth to lay out your toiletries because you never know what was used to wipe the sink & counter too. They have lots of horror stories that if I think too much about I''ll get totally grossed out at every hotel. I''ve stayed in a lot and never gotten sick, so it''s more mental than anything.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2008 3:43:02 PM
Author: IslandDreams
I heard about this years ago. I have 2 really good friends that are General Managers of different hotels...they''ve both moved around in different commonly known chain hotels...and they both tell me DON''T DRINK OUT OF THE GLASSES. They also say you should take the bedspread off the bed immediately upon entering the room because it is only washed monthly at best...same for the blankets.....some hotels they''ve worked at only wash the bedding that isn''t sheets once a quarter. Always use a hand towel or a wash cloth to lay out your toiletries because you never know what was used to wipe the sink & counter too. They have lots of horror stories that if I think too much about I''ll get totally grossed out at every hotel. I''ve stayed in a lot and never gotten sick, so it''s more mental than anything.
6.gif
6.gif
14.gif
23.gif
23.gif

Wow I knew I hated hotels for a reason. I really really don''t like staying in them, I know it is mostly mental, but it just freaks me out.

sleeping beauty

Shiny_Rock
ohhhhh boy that is totally gross!!!!!
emotion-41.gif
makes me sick. good thing i always use the plastic cups in the room and nt the glass ones.. i just had a gut feeling it wasnt OK to do so. And now i see what my gut feeling was. DISGUSTING!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also wrap the tv remote in the ice bucket bag before using it - those never get cleaned and have germs from everyone who''s stayed there!!

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
Oh my god!! I am thoroughly grossed out. I don''t even want to sleep in another hotel!! I feel like I need to pack sheets, glasses, universal tv remotes. YUUUUK!!!!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
eww
13.gif
That''s horrible!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
See, this is exactly why my phobias don''t allow me to stay comfortably in any hotel room, even the nicer ones. I have hangups about virtually everything in the room!
25.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
LOL! I wash the glasses with the shampoo before using them! And people tell me I''m paranoid . . .

The blankets, etc. always grossed me out too. I''ve noticed that most hotels I''ve been staying at now take off the bed spread and the comforter is in a sheet - like duvet cover. I hope they wash the duvet covers with the sheets!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ew. I always thought my mother was insane because she brings her own sets of towels and blankets/pillows every time she stays in a hotel. Now I don''t think she''s so crazy. Sheesh. DH is a frequent traveler and I can already guess what his response will be when I show him this video!
14.gif

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not going to watch this, but funny thing that my hair dresser this morning was talking about it. Makes me sick to think of it.
29.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh geez, I''m scared to look...anyone care to give this germophobe a condensed version?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2008 8:51:53 PM
Author: thing2of2
Oh geez, I''m scared to look...anyone care to give this germophobe a condensed version?
Me too!!
32.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah that''s gross. Good thing I''m not a germaphobe. I''ve stayed in tons of hotels and nothing really creeps me out anymore...probably because I''ve still managed to be alive and disease free. I do however, always check the mattress for bedbugs.

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
I''m a big germophobe when it comes to traveling too and I wasn''t going to watch this but I thought I''d take one for the team and give a bit of summation for anyone not brave enough to watch:

Basically, hidden cameras were placed in hotel rooms and across the board it was found that the drinking glasses in hotel rooms never leave the room for a thorough cleaning. Instead, housekeeping rinses them out under the dirty sink tap and dries them off with whatever towel or wash cloth they find lying around. In some cases, housekeeping was spotted spraying a blue glass cleaner over the glasses before rinsing. The bottle containing the blue glass cleaner said "Do not drink." Worse yet, one of the ickiest offenders first cleaned the toilet wearing gloves, and then without taking those gloves off, rinsed out the glasses sitting near the sink. As you''d imagine, this could be a huge health concern as anyone touching/using this glass comes in contact with any number of icky things left behind by the previous hotel goer.

And my fiance thinks I''m a bit obsessive about not sitting on the bedspreads or always putting a towel between me and any of the hotel room surfaces....perhaps I should show him this little gem ;-)

~Heidi

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the summation, hopefulheidi...
32.gif
I will never touch a hotel glass again! I don''t usually use them but every now and then I''m sure I have! ICK.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
I was once told that a hotelroom remote control is actually dirtier than the space behind a public toilet.
sick007.gif
Just think of all the dirty movies travelers watch using that remote...
sick007.gif
sick007.gif
sick007.gif

I don't know if it's true but I put it in a plastic bag too. We're staying at a hotel tomorrow night for "us" time in Boston (a full weekend late, huh!?!) and now I'm scared of bedbugs!!
23.gif

sick007.gif

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
I did not re-watch this video, but I imagine it is the same one that ran here in Atlanta. They filmed it at a bunch of hotels here in the city. I work in the hotel industry and some of the hotels I represent were listed in the video, including upscale 5 star brands. Needless to say, its disturbing. When all the execs met to discuss how to handle PR for it, they learned a few more tricks...

...a lot of hotels have flight crews stay in them and apparently they pack so light, they only bring the underwear they have on. So, to clean them, they run them through the coffee pot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is just horrible!! can you imagine? GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!! thank god i don''t drink the in-room coffe!

As far as the bed spreads go, a lot of hotel these days have the white duvets. They are covered in a sheet on each side. The sheet is new for each guest, but the inside duvet is cleaned on a cycle. I am not sure of the exact cycle, but I know its not cleaned for every guest!

And the remote control...ick...I need hand sanitizer to touch that thing. I do like someone''s idea of using the ice bucket bag! Either that or travel with a can of lysol!

A lot of hotels put tremendous emphasis on how the rooms looks once housekeeping is finished cleaning it, I guess they need to re-focus their efforts tyo determine not only how nice it looks, but HOW it was cleaned as well!!!!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Also, thank you for the summation...

I am a germaphob, and that is exactly why I carry the lysol (etc.) wipes whenever I''m staying at a hotel. As usual, I go back and clean over everything just as I would at home. I never got sick before this habit, but it can''t hurt to just do a quick wipe down.

I don''t know what I''ll start doing about the comforter though... I could NEVER give up valuable shoe space for an extra blanket in my suitcase?!?!?
31.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to work for a large hotel chain here in the UK as a chambermaid. There is no way I would ever use any cups in a hotel room!

On my first day I was shown how to clean the rooms.

Upon entry into the room you must take the tea cups and saucers and put them in the bathroom sink and cover them with water.
Then clean the bedroom.
Once you finish the bedroom you go back to the bathroom and get one of the dirty towels from the floor or bath and dry the cups and saucers and replace them on the tray.
Then clean the bath, sink, toilet and floor with the towel used for the cups.

I really wasn''t happy doing this so I bought my own cleaning stuff and did everything as if I was cleaning my own house. It took me longer but I could rest happy in the knowledge that I did a good job!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2008 1:18:21 PM
Author: Maisie
I used to work for a large hotel chain here in the UK as a chambermaid. There is no way I would ever use any cups in a hotel room!

Upon entry into the room you must take the tea cups and saucers and put them in the bathroom sink and cover them with water.
Then clean the bedroom.
Once you finish the bedroom you go back to the bathroom and get one of the dirty towels from the floor or bath and dry the cups and saucers and replace them on the tray.

I really wasn''t happy doing this so I bought my own cleaning stuff and did everything as if I was cleaning my own house. It took me longer but I could rest happy in the knowledge that I did a good job!

YUCK!!!!!!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
bleh! My MIL warns me about all this stuff, but I have to admit, my husband and I have used the glasses when drinking beer! lol
14.gif
For me, the fright is more about bedbugs than unclean drinking glasses.

loofabear

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/5/2008 12:27:19 AM
Author: nebe
I was once told that a hotelroom remote control is actually dirtier than the space behind a public toilet.
sick007.gif
Just think of all the dirty movies travelers watch using that remote...
sick007.gif
sick007.gif
sick007.gif

I don't know if it's true but I put it in a plastic bag too. We're staying at a hotel tomorrow night for 'us' time in Boston (a full weekend late, huh!?!) and now I'm scared of bedbugs!!
23.gif

i always put my remote controls in plastic bags too!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
That is beyond gross *vommit*

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am too scared to even look, judging by some words in the link!!
32.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, this is so nasty. I am already a crazy germaphobe, DH makes fun of me because not only am I like this at home, but I have a ritual when I check into hotel rooms.....remove bedspread, check mattress for bedbugs, Lysol TV remote and other things we will be toucing, etc. I *never* drink out of the glasses, but to see the reality of how they *dont* clean the glasses is just disturbing.

YUCK!!!!!

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2008 11:08:09 AM
Author: mintve

...a lot of hotels have flight crews stay in them and apparently they pack so light, they only bring the underwear they have on. So, to clean them, they run them through the coffee pot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is just horrible!! can you imagine? GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!! thank god i don''t drink the in-room coffe!

I should not read this thread before eating. My god...I just...I have no idea what to say. I...I need to vomit.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2008 1:18:21 PM
Author: Maisie

Then clean the bedroom.

23.gif
They....actually...gave you those instructions?!!??!?!?!? *faints*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results