• B. No

Votes: 42 87.5%
  • C. No, but I know people for whom it does

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The runs? Sorry for the gross question but was considering serving this dish for a get together but am now having second thoughts. I’m lactose intolerant so I know why it hits me, but hubby is not yet same issue. He has a problem with the marinara sauce bc he also has issue with spaghetti. Anyway—wondering if we are unique in this or if it’s a common issue and therefore a bad choice for an entree.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Only if my FIL's partner makes it, every time she does I'm plotting the quickest course to bathroom around the people in the room :lol: I can't not eat it, it's what she makes when we come for Christmas and it would offend her. *sigh* She is easily offended.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost every time I eat at a certain family member's house, no matter what I eat, I get sick. I've seen her prepare food and she isn't a big fan of hand washing. I call her "The Queen of Cross-Contamination". :knockout:

I wouldn’t eat there then - family or no! I wouldn’t eat anything intentionally that I knew would make me sick. Interesting though - does everyone get sick or is it just you?

Betty Baguettes

Rough_Rock
I wouldn’t eat there then - family or no! I wouldn’t eat anything intentionally that I knew would make me sick. Interesting though - does everyone get sick or is it just you?

My husband gets sick too. She's my SIL, so I feel I can't say anything, but I try to limit what I eat that I know she's prepared. I bring a lot of my own food to her house for this reason.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
My entire family including my husband and daughter are lactose intolerant. For me specifically dairy can go multiple ways depending on what it is I ate. Cheese tends to be extreme constipation. Ice cream is usually the runs and 50 percent of the time bad stomach cramps for example. Sorry for the TMI x.x
So if it was me I would have to avoid the lasagna and would probably just have something to drink with everybody or eat something else if available because for me it's not worth the pain the cheese would cause me :( but I would never blame my host for serving something they like to eat even if i can't eat it ! :)

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know of anyone who has issues with lasagna or any other Italian tomato/cheese/meat dish. Unless they are lactose intolerant.
Lots of people have problems with onions and/or garlic so maybe that is causing the issue.
And sometimes it is just too rich if you are used to eating a lower fat diet.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The runs? Sorry for the gross question but was considering serving this dish for a get together but am now having second thoughts. I’m lactose intolerant so I know why it hits me, but hubby is not yet same issue. He has a problem with the marinara sauce bc he also has issue with spaghetti. Anyway—wondering if we are unique in this or if it’s a common issue and therefore a bad choice for an entree.

never heard that before
my first thought was the garlic
where is all this lactose intollerence coming from these days:(2
when i was a kid we all guzzled milk with no problem

shurly an entree portion is smaller than a big slab served as a main
if you love it go ahead and serve it with a bit of salad and see what happened

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know of anyone who has issues with lasagna or any other Italian tomato/cheese/meat dish. Unless they are lactose intolerant.
Lots of people have problems with onions and/or garlic so maybe that is causing the issue.
And sometimes it is just too rich if you are used to eating a lower fat diet.

i had a friend who was allergic to the onion family (and also eggs)
she was a nightmare to cater for
its very hard to get flavor it with out onions or garlic or even chives

she would get very sick with eggs but the garlic etc just an upset tummy (which isnt nice either)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Almost every time I eat at a certain family member's house, no matter what I eat, I get sick. I've seen her prepare food and she isn't a big fan of hand washing. I call her "The Queen of Cross-Contamination". :knockout:

oh no

you know especially after covid when we have had even the government telling us to wash our hands for the last two years plus
id keep a little book excuses up my sleeve for her invites

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not have any special dietary requirements, and this dish has never caused any trouble for me.

I don't make it at home as it is too laborious.

DK :))

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I make lasagna frequently, and no one ever has problems.
But of course, I was raised eating Italian food so maybe I'm immune!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I’m wondering if is the amount of oil this restaurant uses! I should clarify that in the past, I have served Olive Garden with no apparent consequences. But this particular lasagna seems way more rich and flavorful and greasy, lol. Soooo no I’m more confused.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I’m wondering if is the amount of oil this restaurant uses! I should clarify that in the past, I have served Olive Garden with no apparent consequences. But this particular lasagna seems way more rich and flavorful and greasy, lol. Soooo no I’m more confused.

Have you considered making it from scratch? I have served lasagna to many and know of no one that had an issue with it. Grease itself can be hard to digest; if folks have gallbladder issues (and they may not know it) they could suffer from the grease. I always cook and drain my meat first to eliminate excess grease. It is a rich dish though - I have just never known folks that had an issue with it.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
No, but I’m gluten free so it’s always nice when you’re making something like lasagna for a crowd to ask if you need to use gf noodles.

I even polled my husband on this question, and he has the world’s most sensitive stomach, and he’s also a no. So to the extent that helps…..

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered making it from scratch? I have served lasagna to many and know of no one that had an issue with it. Grease itself can be hard to digest; if folks have gallbladder issues (and they may not know it) they could suffer from the grease. I always cook and drain my meat first to eliminate excess grease. It is a rich dish though - I have just never known folks that had an issue with it.

I would be even more concerned about other issues if I cooked it, lol. I’m a terrible cook!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t eat meat so my answer of “no” may have skewed your poll, sorry. When I make lasagna I use low fat ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, and instead of meat I make it with roasted red peppers, spinach, and mushrooms. I love garlic and am liberal with it as well as basil, oregano, thyme, etc.

My mother is almost deathly allergic to garlic and onions. She’s had her gallbladder removed years ago but even that didn’t help. She can’t even put aloe on her skin (aloe is part of the garlic and onion family!) because she’ll break out in hives.

I have no issues with garlic or onions but I stopped eating meat in part because every time I ate it I was in the bathroom 20 minutes later in absolute agony. My digestive tract just doesn’t like it.

Cheese? No problem in moderation. Too much? Yikes, everything slows down and gets real uncomfortable.

I don’t think there’s one dish that can be a one fits all for a crowd. There will always be an ingredient or several that people are intolerant of.

Sometimes a themed buffet can work well. Tacos, salad bar with some plain proteins like chicken or ham, even a pasta bar with a couple different sauces and maybe some proteins and veggie add-ins could be options for a get together.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't help here as I assumed that you were asking about homemade. I make it from scratch and have never heard of an issue. I can't speak to it if it comes from a restaurant. I would assume lactose would be an issue for some, but none of my friends or family have that issue. I do have a friend who says every time she eats at her brother's house and the SIL cooks Italian, she gets sick. So I'm guessing it's just who cooks it or the ingredients. Pick something safer to make or bring in. Roast chicken, veggies and some kind of potato? That's pretty bland but probably pretty safe.

MoxiRoxi

Rough_Rock
If it’s prepared food (not homemade) you cannot control the quality freshness of the ingredients. Undercooked or old marinara sauce can be very acidic, the cheese used can be of poor quality and contain fillers.

here In CT we have a really popular prepared food store that sells lots of Italian favorites, however we realized that we have tummy issues after eating most of their prepared meals/components, like chicken cutlets, meatballs or stuffed shells, eggplant parm etc. we can’t pin down what ingredient specifically triggers it. their meals are delicious and made daily, however we cannot tolerate the aftermath it’s consistent, every, single, time.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not have any special dietary requirements, and this dish has never caused any trouble for me.

I don't make it at home as it is too laborious.

oh i agree DK
i couldnt think the last time i made it - years ago
i think Gary used to make it but i may have lost his "special" dish when we moved

although last time i made it it was a tuna lasagna (it was very tasty)
Gary would use beef mince but i liked the tuna also

but if i was making it for guests i would defiantly make it from scratch - i missed where the one in question here is a premade one

its the white sauce i have trouble with/ that takes the time with me

i have a pasta loving friend who is celiac who would appreate the effort of a home made one
i would not serve a brought one for guests

i have brought one of those premade ones from the supermarket we have in the butchery sections here
it was ok ......not overly flavorsome
it was more like convinence food for a weeknight dinner -not nice enough for guests

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a million ways to make lasagna but unless you are lactose-intolerant, I can not imagine this. It has to be one of the crowd-pleasing standard-bearers of communal dining in my country. A significant likelihood of inducing mass diarrhea would seem to be a disqualifying factor for this status. :cool2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds the only shop bought ready made dish that I would buy at full price and eat, excluding items that are cooked in an inhouse rotisserie, is a single portion normal lasagne from one of the discount supermarkets.

I tried their "Deluxe" version and did not like it!

Brookzo

Rough_Rock
never heard that before
my first thought was the garlic
where is all this lactose intollerence coming from these days:(2
when i was a kid we all guzzled milk with no problem

shurly an entree portion is smaller than a big slab served as a main
if you love it go ahead and serve it with a bit of salad and see what happened

I think there was a study that showed that lactose intollerence is not something you're born with(hence why at young age most people have no issues with it), but something that is acquired later. For the life of me I can't find it since it's been years since I've read that :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results