Votes: 21 95.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nobody had a bad thing to say about him

Moving this out of ‘the two week’ thread.

This thread was prompted by a project with Sako.
Not ‘bad’ things to say, but one broaches something a little uncomfortable /odd of a situation or just a plain question, and it can explode into more uncomfortable-ness with the vendor.
Two other vendors are mentioned earlier in this thread, but a couple posters do reference a couple other earlier threads about situations with Sako. Some deleted soon after they were created by the OP. Their stories are not mine to tell.

After I posted my experience thread with him, more PS’ers off line either contacted me to talk about their experience, or it came up during a unrelated convo, or I asked them for objective input and they shared their experiences. Their stories, again, are not mine to tell.
It seems well known in certain circles what you experienced/felt in your experience isn’t uncommon, and it’s also not uncommon for him to add design/labor/material -and the fees that go with them- on his own and unknown/unasked for/unapproved by the customer. So not ‘bad’ but I think possible knowing beforehand would change how the situation is navigated?

I will add that I now feel I should have been even more specific in my uncomfortable experience rundown of my collet ring. I wasn’t that terribly specific, and it still came around to bite me in the ass.

After the collet ring, I sent him an antique ring to restore. I asked him what my options were with the prongs. He told me ‘you choose- I don’t want to get blasted on PS’
I asked him what was going on. That he’s mistaken I didn’t blast him at all with what I said about the collet ring he made for me. That he can read my words here and we can clear the air.
He stated he chooses not to and doesnt and won’t come here to read. He didn’t expand on his hurt feeling and what made them so - just told me he was fine and joked around. It was uncomfortable to say the least.
Text word are tough to really get the intentions meant behind them, and on all sides.

Anyways - I asked for tab like prongs to be similar to what was existing. I showed him a picture of his prior work, and said I do not want it to look like that - if it does have to, I’ll reconsider the project options/budget. The picture of his prior work had long spindly round wire prongs that nearly reached stone table facets.
In the resultant process photos showed what looked to be nearing exactly what I asked it not to be.
He didn’t seem happy at all that I pointed it out, and I get the feeling they were unplanned reworked to be shorter than what they were ultimately going to be if I didn’t say anything. And not that it matters - they are nowhere near tab like. They are like round wire claw.

You can read in my collet thread I vaguely discussed CAD fees. I do think any vendor charging $300+ for each and every cad should mention that up front.
I did not find this out until after I was two CADs deep. The first cad had extra designs that weren’t discussed in the initial pictures given as examples when I agreed to send him my stone, and he gave me a ‘$x total’ price. We vaguely discussed the design and possibilities. Extra costs were discussed vaguely. I stated to go back to the original simple plain design as originally discussed. The second cad had more and different designs on it. So it’s not like I willfully whimsically went on a cad generating spree. They were there due to miscommunication and still tallied.
$700+ in cad fees plus additional unknown charges for the design/labor/materials to be added to the original quote for his additional design preferences had me concerned.
Not much later - I did mention to him I was uncomfortable with this project and how it was panning out. That I didn’t even know what the price range of the setting was going to be with the additional designs/labor/material he added. I offered to pay him one cad fee and we can part ways, no harm no foul.
He acted confused and disappointed - but yeah so was I.
He believed the cost of the additional design was stated. It couldn’t be found in the convo. But then he did let me know.
Things obviously progressed from there to continue on- he kept saying this design as it was, needed to be seen and I’d be happy with it.
If he would have initially quoted me an accurate ‘$x total’ price of what his intended total turned out to be - I would have said thanks but no thanks for this specific spinel. And that’s fair. He can charge whatever he wants to charge. Me asking for more labor/material/design shouldn’t be free (even tho other vendors do operate that way) - but that’s not the case here.
I truly do believe he’s got many clients that can give him essentially a blank check and not be bothered. And that’s ok for them.

When the ring was finished - I mentioned the shank was too thin. I had requested no less than 2mm in the design phase. I did have to go back and screenshot the convo where this was said, for him to see. His reply wasn’t ‘oh crap I goofed’. His reply was to take a picture of his handwritten notes transposed to ‘no more than 2mm’. It was a non-issue for him, as the way I took reading it.
He offered a future free re-oxidizing if I posted it both ways, because of this.

I honestly had the feeling at one point it was more than one person replying on the messages. I have no proof of this and it’s most likely not true. But it sure seemed that way at times.

On to your project. It doesn’t help, but I do feel the images of your ring do look like his design aesthetic typical type. Not a bad thing - but not what you wanted. If he’s reluctant to minimal metal if it’s envisioned that way- I wouldn’t pursue it.

With what you’ve said you envisioned, especially since mentioning the basket. I wouldn’t tweak/rework the current setting and expect to love it unconditionally.
I do think he truly wants to have you love the ring he’s creating for you and be happy and willing to explore options with you to get there. I do think you both can find a way to achieve that and be fair to both parties.
Could maybe he offer a custom cut a cab or a lab stone for the center / post it to sell it to someone else so there’s less $ loss on both sides? You’d probably have to give up those pears tho.
The price you mentioned for the setting +custom cut pears isn’t chump change but it isn’t obscene in the realm, either.

I don’t know if this will help you - but I do wonder how much metal on top view this CVB ring would have on a center stone your size.
IMG_3882.jpeg

I also wonder if your pears being larger than intended (if I’m reading what you wrote correctly) was maybe due to a respect of the material in them not being cut smaller. That in itself may have altered your intended design. Maybe.

I do hope you let us know how this all pans out, and I’m hoping however it ends is mind clean for you.

The point of this thread isn’t bashing. It’s constructive knowing nuggets of info to help us operate /navigate projects with certain vendors.

We all know by others experience you mostly can’t go dictate design aesthetic, or mm, or expect 100% perfect symmetry with victor canera, and you get billed for melee a certain way by LM (I think it was him) and it’s an accepted nugget of info if you wanna go do a custom with them.
Samsies here. It’s not bashing.

Be very clear and simply state wants and needs with Sako. Repeat them.
Ask again when you aren’t sure or replies aren’t clear.
Or he’s known as a vendor you need to blind trust his aesthetic he’s curating as OldMinerJewelry and love the item for what it ends up at as, and go with the flow of whatever he bills you is ok.

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@Rfisher i think that was well and fairly stated. I think most people that are regulars here know I have a lot of pieces by him. I have some I LOVE and some that are beautifully made, but I just don't love. My ruby Gilda is one. It's beautiful, the craftsmanship will last lifetimes, but it doesn't make me happy. I have a five stone collet band that is currently on consignment in Savannah that is also wonderfully made, but I just don't like it. He graciously offered to sell it for me, remake it or do whatever I wanted, but I would prefer to just find a new home for it.

I think you have to be very clear with what you want and direct. I am very introverted and would echo the idea to call him on the phone. I think he's a truly nice guy and a good human, and he ultimatley wants you to be happy. How to get there, is between the two of you, but I don't think IG messages or Whatsapp messages is how to get there.

I will add in that I have had custom stuff by others too that just didn't click with me. I had a ring by Holly Hague that did beautiful enamel and I sold it at a loss because it was just too bulky. It was deco inspired but deco inspired doesn't mean deco. I have learned that I much prefer the delicate originals OR something that is clearly more modern, like Sholdt. Some repros are just not right on proportions. I have also disliked some othe CVB things I have had too. It happens. But, you need to be able to communicate what you want, what he can do, and try to find a resolution that works so you don't have a piece you hate.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think that was well and fairly stated

Thank you @elizat
I do really appreciate this more than you can possibly know.

And yeas. The custom process can indeed come with a tuition fee. I think it’s fair and acceptable if you know what you are getting into beforehand, in the process of finding out what’s really ‘you’.
Same with finding out what specific color of gemstone or specific level of performance cut flavor of diamond makes your heart sing irl - if you aren’t the type to simply accept the vendor used a ‘really nice’ one.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I have thoughts. I will use a recent situation on hand as soft exemplar but it's not meant and should not be construed as personal.

'discussed details, and steps'
Except, in said case that didn't happen. Not fully.
There should have been prior clarity 'Hey, said stone is big and the way I, vendor do bright wall on a big stone is going to be a little larger, or my execution of all bright wall after x.x mm requires this and it will have more metal work than what you're asking for, is this acceptable to you?' before starting the work.
It is clearly not acceptable, and time would've been saved if you had known it. But how could you know this? This requires you to have prior knowledge, and only someone with the skill set would.
Who has the skillset in this situation?

Yes, it's art and a vendor-artist is clearly extremely talented- but it's also a product commissioned expressly for an individual.

This next bit is an even more generalized overview as general principle:

I do not understand what is so difficult with stating what things will cost upfront- stating required parameters before executing, or that there will be differences in design depending on size etc that can change the overall execution.
There should generally be no extra incurred unless expressly agreed. It puts the ignorant(the consumer) at a disadvantage.
The vast majority of people can't be sinking extra funds or taking huge percentage losses and vendors also shouldn't have to deal with the stress of having changes/labor costs that be an unpleasant surprise to stress mar their work/working conditions with a client.
It may be a personal quirk, but as a consumer I would want to negotiate and then itemize everything that incurs charge with operating conditions clearly listed- nothing is done until agreed, and if in the unlikely event it is done without agreement or clear relay of outset- the vendor eats that cost.
If I am offering a service or product as a vendor I would make sure all contingencies were crystal clear so there's no question of why, what, where, or how.
This way no one takes unnecessary loss, extra labor/time etc.
I have no problem paying a premium for advanced skill level, I just want to know why and how much before.

I likely can't afford much more than what we agree to, that's why we agreed to it.
It may have taken me a year, or more, to save for the project. It is likely one and done.
I'm not flush with expendable income, but that doesn't mean that custom work should be entirely out. This pushes it into the exclusive purview of the well heeled.

It can seep into the Venn of if you have to ask...and I hate that type of exclusion with a passion.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Rfisher for mentioning some of your "sausage" details and I agree with you @ItsMainelyYou. I, unfortunately, dont
have a bottomless bling budget so to be quoted a price and then have additional fees thrown in without my approval would
be very frustrating and would definitely tarnish the project for me. This is why I think it's necessary to talk about the sausage. I
don't want to send a beginner to a vendor without giving them a heads-up on something like this.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is some truth in the saying "better the devil you know"; hence I am not too keen on changes in life, and that applies to custom-made jewellery and clothes too.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results