shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think today''s rings will look dated in a decade or two?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
While I was planning my wedding I frequently thought about the things that might look dated 10 or 20 years down the road. Would my mermaid gown look "so 2007" or would I regret my hairstyle? In the end I kind of thought "who cares?"

I''ve started to wonder the same thing about my engagement ring and wanted to get others'' opinions on what they think will date today''s rings. Is the asscher the new marquis? Are halos going to look dated in ten years? Will the desire for vintage and art deco styles fade?

In general I feel that today''s styles are much more subtle than styles in the 80''s and thus are more timeless. Still, I often wonder if I''ll want to change my art deco setting down the road. I think I''ll always love it, but who knows. My sister has a very, very chunky 80''s setting completely with marquis center stone and she still loves it. I love that she still loves it--I wonder if in the year 2040 everybody is going to be wanting those 1980''s settings :)

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
I think about this ALL the time! ...but I also have ''allowed'' myself (by prepping my DH and forgiving myself in advance for being so fickle) the option of changing my setting as my taste changes.

I think I''ll be the revolving door of jewelry. Poor husband. sigh.

But to answer your question. I believe that like fashion, everything comes back around. I''ve estimated it''s about a 20 year cycle. Right now, we''re in a vintage revival. How long that will last, I''m not sure...

but I do think that the chunky/Minimalist look of the early 00''s will eventually come back. If my theory is correct - in 20 years! hahaha.

What does everyone else think?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that certain things will be very indicative of this time period, such as halos, pave, and asschers (which all seem to be very en vogue at the moment.) I don''t think this is a bad thing, though--I''m guessing that the owners of any "dated" rings in the future won''t really care if they look dated at all.

I work with a lot of women with chunky 80s settings and they all love their sets and they don''t care at all if they date them. I kind of like it that my ring may become an obvious sign of a particular period and time in my life.

I love this question--I look at my hairstyle and clothing all the tiime and try to picture a future "me" that will look back at pictures from 2007 and think "I can''t believe I looked like that!"

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Do you think today's rings will look dated in a decade or two?"

That will depend on who's looking at them.

They probably will not look dated to any of us who lived through this era; they may look dated to people who were born too late to remember it. I was initially surprised to find that women now found white metal preferable to yellow gold and that some thought that yellow gold looked dated. When I grew up the classic look was yellow gold jewelry. I don't think that I find any jewelry "dated". Clothing is another matter!

Deborah
34.gif

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I think a yes and a no to that question.

Yes because everything at one point or another will be dated. Yellow gold I think will fade in and out.

No because there will always be someone who will want the more vintage look.

for example,
When my grandmother dies (I hope she lives a long time btw) she has a platinum 1 carat with 1/4 carat side stones with a 5 stone wedding band, thats all I want. besides some pictures, thats all I have ever wanted.

So I think it will depend on the person....

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
What I like about Art Deco in particular -- is it''s "modernity". It''s like a guess at what the future *would* be. Plus I''m just a fan of sapphire, white metals, onyx & geometry.
3.gif

My hunch is that asschers will never be popular enough to be "dated". The ticket to entry is SO HIGH (in terms of sacrifice) ... the people who stick it out are die-hards. And I think they''ll always represent a certain QUALITY of diamond -- as they''re so clear & show both inclusions & color easily. The ones that look nice are more OBVIOUSLY "fine" than other shapes.

Rarity is another issue. There are so few original asschers left ... and not a ton being cut (compared to RB & princesses etc). I think they''ll be classic well into the future.
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've actually been feeling kinda bummed about this lately. I had zero idea that asschers were so "in" when we found our stone... then it sorta felt like all the new engagements on PS were asschers (or rounds, obvi). I know PS isn't that representative of the rest of the world, but maybe that is even more indicative of it being a jewelry "fad?" Boo-hoo.

On the other hand, I haven't seen a single asscher in-person besides my own, and only ONE person has correctly identified the cut.

But I tend to agree with the current styles being more "classic" than the 1980s. The '80s were all about "futuristic" looks, which I think the jewelry of the time fell into. The current trend is very much "antiquey," IMO, so rather than looking "so 2007" it might look "so 1940/1920/1900."

Besides... everything goes in cycles. My mom's swoopy ering from the '70s is beautiful to me, and I don't think it looks dated now... though it probably did in the '80s.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you look back 20 years, believe me, everything will look dated. But you won't be depressed about it. You will smile. So my theory on this would definitely, absolutely be "who cares"!
11.gif
BTW, mermaid style dresses have come and gone twice in the last 25 years.
41.gif
It's all relative.

ETA: I think what will date today's rings are the micro pave, halo, and square shapes.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to be honest. I''m more worried about how dated I''M going to look in a decade or two. My jewelry can be reset. LMAO.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
From what I noticed, barring Horsehead shaped diamonds and branded fad diamonds, almost all shapes have a way of being timeless when what they are set in is made of quality craftsmanship. I saw a marquise (the dreaded marquise of the 80''s) was set in an old ring from east to west and had emerald accents around it. It was the most tasteful ring with a marquise I have seen. I would buy it in a heartbeat! But the work on the galley was so welldone and the emeralds were excellent and brilliant green.

Quality never goes out of fashion. And as the circle of life follows fashion, what goes around, comes around. If not, antiques would not sell at the prices they do. And they only do so because it''s WORTH paying the price for something that was made right, and can not be reproduced by today''s standards. So to me, get a quality setting and that will never go out of fashion.

Asschers are classic. Older cushions to me are classic. Rounds are classic, but pears, ovals and other main stay shapes are classic. Lilly cuts, horsehead shaped, trilliants (as center stones), etc may not be. Buy what you like, and set it the best you can. Enjoy.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 12:31:20 PM
Author: Nicrez
From what I noticed, barring Horsehead shaped diamonds and branded fad diamonds, almost all shapes have a way of being timeless when what they are set in is made of quality craftsmanship. I saw a marquise (the dreaded marquise of the 80''s) was set in an old ring from east to west and had emerald accents around it. It was the most tasteful ring with a marquise I have seen. I would buy it in a heartbeat! But the work on the galley was so welldone and the emeralds were excellent and brilliant green.

Quality never goes out of fashion. And as the circle of life follows fashion, what goes around, comes around. If not, antiques would not sell at the prices they do. And they only do so because it''s WORTH paying the price for something that was made right, and can not be reproduced by today''s standards. So to me, get a quality setting and that will never go out of fashion.

Asschers are classic. Older cushions to me are classic. Rounds are classic, but pears, ovals and other main stay shapes are classic. Lilly cuts, horsehead shaped, trilliants (as center stones), etc may not be. Buy what you like, and set it the best you can. Enjoy.
Exactly! That''s why the HW/Leon designs are so loved. Those are timelessly classic.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 12:24:53 PM
Author: Gypsy
I have to be honest. I''m more worried about how dated I''M going to look in a decade or two. My jewelry can be reset. LMAO.
36.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Gypsy!!!!

widget

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, you are hilarious :) You are going to look fabulous in a decade or two. I know I consider myself even more timeless than a diamond!

Musey, the way you are feeling about your asscher is why I started thinking about this. I got my e-ring before I found PS and thought I was getting something very original and unique. IRL I have yet to see another person with a generic or royal asscher, but they seem so ubiquitous on PS...at least the generic sqaure emerald. Your royal is rare on PS and even more rare IRL.

Nicrez, I also agree that very well-made jewelry will always be in style. I guess I should have used another choice of words besides "dated" because for the most part jewelry just comes in eras and it''s usually easy to recognize that era. I mean, for most of us jewelry isn''t like a pair of pants that you can buy and only wear once if you don''t like them--I think that when you fall so head over heels in love with a piece of jewelry that you''re willing to part with the thousands of dollars, you''re probably going to love it forever. Not to mention the extra "sentimental" factor.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto Deco and musey. I have yet to see another asscher "IRL" and def not in my peer group. When I tell anyone it is an asscher they don''t know what I am talking about. One person thought I was saying it was an Asha(sp?) which is apparently some sort of lab made simulated diamond
20.gif
. I think they are so popular on PS because they are hard to find, especially well cut ones, so if someone wants one they have to do a lot of research which brings them here. That is how I wound up here!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Every thing in fashion and home furnishings moves in 20yr cycles like someone said here. Look at the latest versions of seventies clothing now on sale in your local department stores; I''m old enough to have worn the originals! When I was fresh out of HS the trend was toward antiqued yellow gold - some set in pseudo-Victorian styles (think Art Carved and Keepsake), and others pretty plain. Side stones, or any additional stones, were very small and their cut and clarity was never given a passing thought. Twenty years before that, my mother''s generation had worn white gold, and most of those sets looked cookie-cutter too.

The 20''s and 30''s had some quality designs, even when the color and clarity of the diamonds were not great. But, you can date those designs by their "look" as well.

The eighties (mid decade to the end) was all about flash and bigger is better. But quality was not the driving force; just look at the huge lacy, beaded horrors made from poly satin that were sold as wedding dresses. UGH!

Yes, your strapless wedding dresses will look dated. They will be "specific to an era". Everything is. The halo, the princess cut, the Lucida, bezel set stones, 3-stone rings, satin color sashes on wedding dresses, bolero jackets over strapless dresses, the really long veil, black or brown as colors in decor or BM dresses, square cakes, hexagonal cakes, monochromatic florals, crystals set in the bouquet, artsy-cutesy DIY invitations, signature cocktails, etc, etc, ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

WHO CARES?! Enjoy your moment in history. Twenty years from now, you can look at the proof on your hand and in your wedding photos that you and the spouse have been through many years and a lot of growing together.
21.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
New England Lady - the answer is a definitive "YES." No matter how hard you try to be "classic" about something, the styles will always revolve and change and come back around.

As of late I have been putting some thought into the look of my pave halo EC Ering (which almost was an asscher - then I would have been 3 for 3 in Haven''s book), and wondering whether in ten years it''ll look "so 2007." Same as you, with my wedding gown and the pictures, and everything. But that''s just the way the world revolves, the way fashion works. What can you do, right?

Chunky bands come and go. Strange cuts (like marquis, IMO) come and go. Even the simple solitaire takes its turn on the back burner. But I do have to say I truly believe that beautiful never truly goes out of style.
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 12:38:12 PM
Author: widget

36.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Gypsy!!!!

widget
emwink.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 12:09:50 PM
Author: decodelighted
What I like about Art Deco in particular -- is it''s ''modernity''. It''s like a guess at what the future *would* be. Plus I''m just a fan of sapphire, white metals, onyx & geometry.
3.gif

My hunch is that asschers will never be popular enough to be ''dated''. The ticket to entry is SO HIGH (in terms of sacrifice) ... the people who stick it out are die-hards. And I think they''ll always represent a certain QUALITY of diamond -- as they''re so clear & show both inclusions & color easily. The ones that look nice are more OBVIOUSLY ''fine'' than other shapes.

Rarity is another issue. There are so few original asschers left ... and not a ton being cut (compared to RB & princesses etc). I think they''ll be classic well into the future.
1.gif
I so agree 100% with everything you said. Well put!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
You''re a riot! Maybe I''ll have to get myself reset. LOL!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
To me the things that will "scream" 2000''s are halos and pave. But I don''t think I will have a negative reaction to that dated aspect the same way I do to other things (80''s clunky and 90''s tension set diamonds) because I think that the trend today is based mostly on a vintage feel/look. Luckily I think we are mostly copying the nice things about vintage.
1.gif

But good workmanship will always win out. I see plenty of halo & pave rings I''m not impressed with. Probably because once something becomes a trend or fad then it is mainstream which = mass produced. But a gorgeous, detailed well done halo will always be beautiful no matter what time period.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
i agree with deco that i don''t think asschers will ever be popular enough to fall out of fashion.

i''ve worried sometimes that the halo coming my way (hopefully in the next few weeks!) will be seen as super trendy and that eventually i''ll get sick of the look. but i have yet to meet someone IRL that has one (even though different ones are sold in mall stores), and certainly not one that had an EC center bigger than a half carat (tbrube did you know we are going to be ring twins almost?). I think that if any current trend is going to look dated i have a feeling it is going to be the princess cut stone.

either way,i really hope that my ering doesn''t date too too badly. not because i''m scared of looking "so 2007", but because if i ever decide that i want to change, i am going to have a heck of a time finding a new way to set it, as i hated pretty much every other ring i''ve tried on!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Funny that; about the princesses. I feel that way too (they are/will be dated), but I think it has to do with the fact that i just dont really like the look.

Friends who have them never seem to fall out of love with them.

time will tell...

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 4:50:55 PM
Author: mimzy
i agree with deco that i don''t think asschers will ever be popular enough to fall out of fashion.

i''ve worried sometimes that the halo coming my way (hopefully in the next few weeks!) will be seen as super trendy and that eventually i''ll get sick of the look. but i have yet to meet someone IRL that has one (even though different ones are sold in mall stores), and certainly not one that had an EC center bigger than a half carat (tbrube did you know we are going to be ring twins almost?). I think that if any current trend is going to look dated i have a feeling it is going to be the princess cut stone.

either way,i really hope that my ering doesn''t date too too badly. not because i''m scared of looking ''so 2007'', but because if i ever decide that i want to change, i am going to have a heck of a time finding a new way to set it, as i hated pretty much every other ring i''ve tried on!

Yay! EC Halo Twins! Woohoo! Me too, though - I don''t know anyone else who has a halo IRL. At all. OR an EC, for that matter. In fact, before I first saw my setting I''d never seen a halo setting in my entire life. I thought I was being totally clever (makes my 90 pointer look bigger - even though PS is making it look smaller every day) AND completely unique. Of course did my bubble ever burst when I opened my very first wedding magazine (i.e. wedding ****) to ten thousand halo designs I didn''t know even existed.
25.gif

Can''t wait to be twins, Mimzy! And judging by your post earlier today (er, yesterday?), it doesn''t sound like it will be long to wait.

And then we can reconvene in ten years and chat about how well the style has held up.
9.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting topic...

Musey, if this makes you feel better (and I know others have said it), I haven''t seen an asscher in real life...only on PS. I really wanted one for my engagement ring but besides the price for what we wanted, we just couldn''t do it. I also discovered that as much as I like asschers (and emerald cuts, for that matter) square cuts don''t look the best on me.

I think pave and halos are very popular right now and have been for a while. I personally love the looks of rings with those added touches.

Super chunky rings aren''t really my favorite, but if someone else loves the look of their ring, that''s what matters.

Sure, I think things may look dated over time but if someone loves what they have, who cares?
1.gif

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lol, you put it perfectly!!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock

LMAO thats tooo funny :) Yeah I think I would be more worried about me in 20 years
6.gif

In reference to the asschers I very well doubt they will become dated no one in my circle of friends or anyone''s rings IRL I have goggled at has had an asscher the only ones I have seen have been the ones I have tried on in high end B&M stores for it to be a fad I think it would have to be more accessible. Halo''s also are very rarely seen here as is pave more people have a princess cut with a channel set band or a princess solitaire. Again the only ones I have seen have been ones I have tried on. I think we are behind the times :razz:

Trends will come and go currently I am seeing the 80''s revival here in clothes Fluro anyone? I was too young to participate in it the first time and too wise now to try
15.gif

I think certain things will scream
6.gif
you got married in the 07''s but it sure beats anything from the 80''s, big hair big dress bad make-up :) I can deal with this era :)

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady-My Mom has a similar 80s style ring with a marquise (married in 82) and she still loves it! I too am happy she still loves it!

I think about rings "dating" all the time. I have a feeling that rings that are popular now will go out at least a little, like the boom of the princess cuts, and the popularity of the asschers/square emerald cuts (even though they are pretty rare, as Deco mentioned, I really feel they were fairly popular for a decent enough time to perhaps fall "victim"...it seems at least where I was, every magazine had pics of them, the stores tried to pass off the square emerald cuts as them, etc)...they may someday be a bit "out-of-style" for a while...

However, I think that the settings are what really dates rings...the styles, metals, etc...

But I am not sure any of this matters, so long as you (not you, but people!) pick the ring that they like, not just because it is "in-style" or "popular"...even then, your taste may change (as mine has already!)...
14.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
To all of the lovely PSers who have never seen an asscher in person--YOU MUST! Get yourselves to a jeweler as soon as is humanly possible and get your hands on an asscher. They are absolutely breathtaking in person, pictures do not do them justice.

For the record--I originally wanted a halo micropave asscher for my ering, which is probably the reason why *I* would associate those three things with styles from this particular time period. I''ve seen a lot of asschers in person, three of my friends have asschers, but it sounds like this is rare--I never knew. I honestly thought that they were very very popular right now. In fact, my hairstylist also has an asscher ering!

I thought of this thread today, actually--a woman who works at my school was recently engaged to be married, and her fiance proposed with a marquise set in a really heavy yellow gold setting. My immediate thought--that ring looks like it''s from the 80s! Her fiance actually designed it with his mother, so it''s really a new custom piece, but it has that 80s flair.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, everything old IS new again. This is why sometimes people reset due to their changed tastes. There is so much pressure to have the perfect ring and to never alter it, but for the most part people''s tastes do not remain totally the same, so it is hard to pick something that you will always love and never tire of. Of course this is where a right hand ring comes in well.

As for the looks of the times, just rent the Wedding Singer to get an eyeful of some of the ''80''s style, and I use the term loosely!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy...

I am in the midst of that decade or two later...and I am trying to reset myself.
emangel.gif
It isn''t working.

Be worried my friend...be very worried.

DKS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results