shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you take your jewelry when going on vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just came back from vacation in Aruba and was suprised to see so much bling at the hotel. Call me paranoid but I leave all my good jewelry home in a safe and only wear a pair of gold hoops and a travel watch. I know Aruba in particular is a safe island but I just don''t feel comfortable wearing nice things in unfamiliar surroundings. What do you usually take on vacation?

I saw some very nice diamond rings, earrings and bracelets in the pool. Don''t people know that chemicals weaken metal and they can lose those diamonds? My bf was telling to start swimming behind a few women with REALLY good stones just to see if anything would float my way
11.gif
. I bet the pool cleaning crew found some nice stuff over the years.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on where you''re going. I wear most of my diamonds when we go back to Singapore because it''s so safe. I am also comfortable wearing them anywhere in Australia, but I left all jewellery except simple white gold huggies when we went to Shanghai.

I wouldn''t wear mine in a pool
32.gif
but then again, I only wear white gold and I think the chemicals might be corrosive.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
YEAH! where else would I have such a show-off opportunity?!!?

I haven''t been out of the country (except for Jamaican honeymoon), but I''ve always taken jewelry wherever I go. I usually bring 2-3 necklaces, my rings and 2-3 pairs of earrings. That''s what insurance is for!

that being said, i don''t have an attachment to my stones. If one is stolen, lost, etc. I would have no problem taking the insurance money and getting a new one.
10.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
When we went to California a month ago, I just wore my wedding set, diamond earrings and a simple silver Tiffany necklace because we were very active spending eight hours walking around Disneyland, etc.

We went into the pool one of the hotels and I spent the whole time stressing about my earrings since they''re white gold. I regret not paying the bit extra and getting platinum mountings!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was just thinking about this--I''m going to Greece this summer for two weeks, and I''ll be coming home two weeks before our wedding. Do I wear my engagement ring on the trip? (I''m chaperoning a student trip with some good friends/colleagues of mine--41 high school students and five teachers, aaaaaaaah!)

And then we''ll be honeymooning in Europe, hopefully we''ll start out with some tickets to Wimbledon (cross your fingers that we get ''em, please!) and then maybe we''ll visit two or three other countries. Do I wear my jewelry there? It seems so sad to leave my wedding band and engagement ring home during our honeymoon!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/26/2007 10:49:05 PM
Author: somethingshiny
YEAH! where else would I have such a show-off opportunity?!!?

I haven''t been out of the country (except for Jamaican honeymoon), but I''ve always taken jewelry wherever I go. I usually bring 2-3 necklaces, my rings and 2-3 pairs of earrings. That''s what insurance is for!

that being said, i don''t have an attachment to my stones. If one is stolen, lost, etc. I would have no problem taking the insurance money and getting a new one.
10.gif
Hmm, does insurance cover theft/loss outside the country? I know my medical insurance does not work outside US. Has anybody read their policy closely?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My insurance covers theft, loss, and damage. I didn''t check about out of country, though. We had a consultation with our agent in august when i got my upgrade. We had a trip planned to a lake. I wanted to make sure that if it fell off, got smacked on the dock, or was stolen from a beach bag that it was covered.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/26/2007 11:07:50 PM
My insurance covers theft, loss, and damage. I didn''t check about out of country, though. We had a consultation with our agent in august when i got my upgrade. We had a trip planned to a lake. I wanted to make sure that if it fell off, got smacked on the dock, or was stolen from a beach bag that it was covered.
Do you mind checking with your agent? I''m just curious.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you have a strong sentimental attachment to an item, I would leave it safe at home and perhaps invest a couple hundred bucks in a high quality fake set for use as travel rings. If you have items that are not sentimental for you, and they are either insured or you can afford the risk of loss, I say wear the bling!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have worn a WG diamond band and WG diamond studs in a pool before. I know it is not advised but nothing has ever happened. I try not to bring anything that I would be sad if I lost. I did leave my e-ring when we went to mexico (on our honeymoon) but regreted it when I saw all the pretties. My finger was sad.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Nope. I stick them in the safe deposit box. Why have one more thing to worry about when I''m supposed to be having fun? The only exception is when I''m going to a wedding or something where I *need* to dress up, but then that''s not technically vacation!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
We were in Cabo this summer and the couple next to us at the pool one day had just gotten married the night before. He took off his ring to get in the pool.. they left a few hours later. The ring was lost. It could have been in a towel taken away by a pool boy, in the pool, stolen.. who knows. The bride was NOT a happy camper and he was soooo stressed out.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Most of the time I prefer not too. I like to be active on our holidays, swimming, walking, etc and dont wont to worry about my jewellery getting damaged or lost. Even the last time I went to the beach I forgot to take off my good watch and kept on stressing about the sand and were to put it while I was in the water. I would rather enjoy my holiday.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went on a cruise a few years ago and one day, while on a snorkeling trip, one of the people we were friendly with lost his wedding ring..TEN miles off the coast of Key West! Of course as the trip progressed and he spent his time blatantly hitting on women we started to suspect that he "lost" his ring... Still, I''d leave my good stuff and bring only stuff I wouldn''t be devastated over losing, breaking, or having stolen. My travel buddy on that trip had a T & Co necklace (just silver, but still...) stolen out of her stateroom.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I travel a lot and all over the world. Basically, I don't wear good jewelry in places where there is a lot of serious poverty, or to places where there is a lot of street crime. So, no diamonds in Cambodia (where it would feel kind of sick to wear that stuff anyway, when people are under 5' tall because they didn't get enough food growing up and you see a lot of ribs sticking out) and I take care in places like Rome: I might wear a nice ring to a dinner party in Rome if I was taking a taxi, but probably wouldn't if I was walking.

I have a little travel wedding band which I wore even when I was single in conservative countries where women traveling alone might get hassled.

Oh yeah, and if I'm traveling with bling, if it's not on my body, it's in the safe in the hotel room with my passport.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
We went to Maui for our honeymoon and stayed at the Four Seasons. We had a safe in our room which we used for all our valuables. DH took his wedding band off to go swiming, etc. I kept mine on since mine are pretty difficult to get on and off (I have skinny fingers, but large knuckles). I know not every hotel has a safe, but a lot of times the front desk does at a lot of hotels which is an option. I guess I''m like the rest of you where I figure my stuff is insured so, why not enjoy wearing it when I can.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, as far as hotel safes go.....

The safe in our hotel room was the programmable model with keypad. I used it to keep the passport, money, electronics, etc and always thought they were pretty secure. Then my bf showed me a video on youtube where they open the safe in very little time. Turns out the keypad is not the only way of getting into the safe. There is manual lock behind one of the stickers with instructions. The lock can be broken in few seconds.

lizardofaz

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/27/2007 10:30:30 AM
Author: baby monster
Well, as far as hotel safes go.....

The safe in our hotel room was the programmable model with keypad. I used it to keep the passport, money, electronics, etc and always thought they were pretty secure. Then my bf showed me a video on youtube where they open the safe in very little time. Turns out the keypad is not the only way of getting into the safe. There is manual lock behind one of the stickers with instructions. The lock can be broken in few seconds.
Wow, that''s VERY good to know. I always thought those safes were, well, safe!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
nope, I don''t take much with me on my travels.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
It depends where we''re heading. If we''re off to South Beach, Miami, absolutely (!) but for more impoverished locations, I like to remain low key. For example, we went to Chiang Mai a couple of years ago, where we visited several of the remote villages near the Burmese border; in that situation, bling felt entirely inappropriate.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wore my engagement ring in Hawaii this past May/June. I really didn''t take it off while we were there... If we were going swimming or hiking I wore it on a chain around my neck. May not have been the smartest thing, but I wasn''t about to leave my 3-months-new engagement ring at home on our first trip as betrotheds (haha). We went on a snorkel trip, and a newlywed couple there both had their rings on chain bracelets.

Had the trip been to an impoverished area, I certainly wouldn''t have worn it on my finger. I would either have left it at home or worn it on a chain (long, so that it would be under my shirt).

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t take my ring on trips; I feel sad leaving it behind. I actually wear a plain wedding bad so if I am out at the beach and lose it I won''t feel bad. My ring is insured but I feel better not bringing it with me.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2007 11:12:20 PM
Author: baby monster
Date: 9/26/2007 11:07:50 PM

Do you mind checking with your agent? I''m just curious.

Just read your post. I''ll call my agent tomorrow and find out what my insurance covers for out of country. I''ll see if this is standard practice as well.
1.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2007 2:07:48 PM
Author: musey
I wore my engagement ring in Hawaii this past May/June. I really didn''t take it off while we were there... If we were going swimming or hiking I wore it on a chain around my neck. May not have been the smartest thing, but I wasn''t about to leave my 3-months-new engagement ring at home on our first trip as betrotheds (haha). We went on a snorkel trip, and a newlywed couple there both had their rings on chain bracelets.

Had the trip been to an impoverished area, I certainly wouldn''t have worn it on my finger. I would either have left it at home or worn it on a chain (long, so that it would be under my shirt).

I feel the same way--it''s hard to leave a new engagement ring behind!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
When I travel I only bring what I can wear every day for the entire trip. The exception might be some less expensive silver jewelry that I might pack. So what I bring depends on the trip. My last vacation was to LA and I brought my best jewelry so I could wear it while poking into the shops on Rodeo Drive.
25.gif
But for most trips, I leave the nicest pieces safe at home and wear my maul store diamond ring.
20.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Oh my bubble is burst on those hotel safes!
39.gif
I love those things; they always made me feel more secure. I know the hotel can open them cause they have some master code, but I did not realize there was an easily breakable manual lock.

I usually bring my ering and band and a necklace and earrings. I don't bring different stuff for every day cause I don't like to take too much. In general we go to pretty safe places so I don't see the difference in wearing jewelry on vacation or at home. I am fairly careful not to flaunt stuff though. I'll turn my ering around while we check into the hotel for example. Because I don't bring too much I don't leave it in the hotel room while we are out. I wear it all.

It depends on the place. When I went to Manila I bought a plastic $10 watch to wear. When I went to Japan I wore my ering and a Cartier watch and didn't even think about it.

I do make sure to put anything special in the safe deposit box rather than leave it in the house while we are gone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Within the US, I basically take what I want to wear the whole time...wedding rings, studs or hoops, necklace, watch. I sleep in everything but the watch when I travel. The last time I travelled internationally, I did the same thing except the earrings were plain gold and I left the e-ring at home.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Ladies, gold isn't THAT fragile-- your diamonds are FAR safer on your ears in a clorinated pool for an hour than they are in your unattended hotel room!

As a teen, I wore my diamond studs set in gold every single day, slept in 'em, and never cleaned 'em. (I know, I know, sacriliege-- I have a Sharper Image Ultrasonic now as a responsible adult.
2.gif
) Anyhow, I was a freakin' fish growing up who wore them day in and day out, every day, and spent hours every day in the backyard pool with friends for literally years and years and never had a problem.

Would I ever hide them in my household by hiding them in a gallon container of Clorox bleach? Of course not. But if you go swimming with them for a little bit every now and then, it's not as if the gold is going to dissolve like an alka seltzer tablet in a glass of water!

---------------
Babymonster, to answer your Q, I travel with my everyday jewelry when I'm traveling to an area with low crime. I leave sentimental, inherited pieces at home and have insurance on what I do bring. When traveling to places with poverty or crime issues, I leave the good stuff at home; in fact, I purchased a pair of 2 ct. CZ stud earrings to wear when I went to Rome and southern Italy so that I could leave my 2 ct. diamond studs at home. (It was a good call-- I can only imagine how tense I would have looked had I been wearing them while seeing those men with the shifty eyes trying to sell hot used cameras out of blankets and little kids putting their hands in tourists' back pockets right in front of us on the short walk to the hydrofoil in Naples.
6.gif
)

The ering is new enough that we've only traveled domestically since it's been on my finger, but I have so far brought it and left it on 24/7; if we were to travel to a country with a known crime issue, I'd probably leave it at home in the bank vault and just wear a simple band. Insurance or not, it's not worth the hassle, the possible bad attention, or the pain of having to deal with foreign police.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My insurance does cover jewelry out of country. Anywhere I can go, it can go too. Even in high crime areas. However, I would abide by Independent Gal''s advice in poverty and high crime areas.

If your insurance doesn''t cover out of country, maybe they have some sort of a temp rider policy for it? Or check around if you travel a lot. It seems there are many companies that do insure for it.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2007 9:57:36 PM
My insurance does cover jewelry out of country. Anywhere I can go, it can go too. Even in high crime areas. However, I would abide by Independent Gal''s advice in poverty and high crime areas.

If your insurance doesn''t cover out of country, maybe they have some sort of a temp rider policy for it? Or check around if you travel a lot. It seems there are many companies that do insure for it.
Thanks for checking
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results