shape
carat
color
clarity

do you see many women wearing big diamonds in your area,like in the shopping malls? ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Hi, DF!
Unfortunately they''re all married. The only single people I still know are gay. Sorry!
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2008 1:01:48 AM
Author: researcher
Hi, DF!
Unfortunately they''re all married. The only single people I still know are gay. Sorry!
2.gif
7.gif

btw; still think you have thee best looking princess cut on PS.
30.gif
so much fire!!
10.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
You''ve always been one of my favorite PSers--must be your great taste in diamonds!
31.gif

Thanks for making me feel welcomed back!
35.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in small town in central Ohio, the average diamond size around here is probably .25 to .75, I dont see alot of people with larger stones, my Mom actually has the largest stone of anyone I know and her''s is a 1.97 J VS2 and it a upgraded diamond for her, the first one was a 1/3 of ct marquis.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
In Manhattan, my ring is a nice average size! I was in jewelry stores trying on some eternity bands and they jeweler (who was super sweet) told me most eternity bands were being made larger to accompany 5+ carat stones!
31.gif

Most of my friends and FI''s friends'' sweethearts have 2.5-3 carat stones. We''re all 30-32. But then again, in NY most people are in finance. So that''s probably why... I see a lot of large stones here, but there''s a wide range. Most women have big eternity bands!
30.gif
Yummo!

On the streets, it''s anywhere from 1-10 carats! Big range, depending on where you shop!

They should have Bling Tours! They already have SITC tours!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stones in my area vary drastically as does the average income....i live on long island and i actually work part-time in a macy''s bridal registry in a mall so i see rings alllll day. they go from promise style 10 pointers all the way up 4cts+. most of the ladies i see have a rock between .5-1ct though. you never know what you''ll find on the island...

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2008 4:47:44 PM
Author: Lill_The_Thrill
Well, I live in Sweden, and don''t see big diamonds to often. I usually see different types of bands with smaller melee, .25 ct solitaires are pretty common, I sometimes see .50 ct solitaires, and have seen 1 ct solitaires a couple of times (maybe three) around town. The other day I saw a girl with a 1.5-2.0 ct princess (not sure if it was real) but that''s by far the biggest I''ve ever seen here.

Hej pa dig!!

I usually remove my rings when I go back to visit Sweden: the last time I wore them people kind of looked at me funny. Usually I see very plain bands, nothing ''over the top''. But perhaps that is just the circles I travel in....Last year in Stockholm I saw some diamonds but still nothing like here in Canada.

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 12:38:15 PM
Author: LostSapphire

Well, I live in Sweden, and don''t see big diamonds to often. I usually see different types of bands with smaller melee, .25 ct solitaires are pretty common, I sometimes see .50 ct solitaires, and have seen 1 ct solitaires a couple of times (maybe three) around town. The other day I saw a girl with a 1.5-2.0 ct princess (not sure if it was real) but that''s by far the biggest I''ve ever seen here.

Hej pa dig!!

I usually remove my rings when I go back to visit Sweden: the last time I wore them people kind of looked at me funny. Usually I see very plain bands, nothing ''over the top''. But perhaps that is just the circles I travel in....Last year in Stockholm I saw some diamonds but still nothing like here in Canada.
Oh, Hejhej! so You''re originally from Sweden? Very cool... It''s very much the "lagom är bäst"-mentality here, the Swedish language is the only langauage in the world that has the word "lagom" so that must say something about us
20.gif
. haha. But I do actually plan on wearing a 1.5 -2.0ct ring (when I get married) as I can''t deny my love for diamonds, I''m kind of nervous about it though...
7.gif
I do think that there might some "bigger" diamonds in the most central part of Stockholm though, prob 1 ct+, I''ve started a new part time job there at a known jewelry store, so I''m looking forward to hopefully seeing some bling...
18.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2008 4:26:16 PM
Author: bee*

Date: 5/25/2008 4:06:59 PM
Author: Delster
Like bee, I''m in Ireland. In everyday life I never see big diamonds. My mother has by far the biggest diamond of anyone I know and hers is .80ct. Most rings I see on a daily basis are around .30ct to .50ct. At work I regularly see larger diamonds but nothing over 1.5ct. I took a course in uni with a minor Irish celebrity and her diamond was the biggest I''ve ever seen on someone''s hand here, maybe 3cts.

Oooh who?....I''m so nosy! We have a friday night talk show host''s wife come into our clinic quite a lot and even her ring isn''t extremely large.
It would give away where I went to uni hon! But I''ll tell you in person
1.gif

For those who mentioned Germany, I was in Munich recently and I was struck by how different the window displays were to here. They were showing off very few diamonds, usually just one small tray of diamonds all under .50ct. The ring styles were all very modern - tension settings and bezels. And it was all very expensive.

Lwilliams

Rough_Rock
I'm in Seattle & I've been keeping my eye open since I've read this thread ... it seems most ladies are keeping the rock to a fairly moderate size. I'd say 1-1.5k ... and it also seems mostly solitare style.
Best of Luck ... Linda ...

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
NYC has a huge range. I definitely see more diamonds on the Upper East Side; Downtown, not so much.

A few months ago, I went to a partners'' dinner for my husband''s law firm, and noticed that the rings were all over the place--third-of a carat and yellow gold, all the way up to the biggest frickin'' diamond I''ve ever seen (suitably, worn by the chairman''s wife
9.gif
).

chirp

Shiny_Rock
in my area there aren''t many large stone out in public, usually 0.20-0.50 and maybe 1ct. larger ones are on the hands of very rich ladies and we don''t see them much

I live in a small farm town, population 900.. 700 of them are COWS .. I have seen some bigger stones, but not very often ..

But this *could* be because I am always LOOKING !!!

On average, where I work and what I see socially, 0.50 - 1.0 ct seems to be the norm.. solitare settings are HUGE around here.

You do occassionally see massive stones, but this is not the norm.

My stone is a 1.8 Asscher and dimension wise, it faces up like a 1.2 round... people constantly remark on the size and say how HUGE it is...

Can you imagine if I had a 1.8 ROUND ?????
20.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, out in LA there are some BIG diamonds. However, small stones under .50 are common as well especially in less affluent neighborhoods. In the affluent shopping malls it is common to see most women with 2 carats and over and some with 4+ carats. I also see women dressing up their young kids in $200 outfits...which I find strange.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 1:30:23 PM

Well, I live in Sweden, and don't see big diamonds to often. I usually see different types of bands with smaller melee, .25 ct solitaires are pretty common, I sometimes see .50 ct solitaires, and have seen 1 ct solitaires a couple of times (maybe three) around town. The other day I saw a girl with a 1.5-2.0 ct princess (not sure if it was real) but that's by far the biggest I've ever seen here.

Hej pa dig!!

I usually remove my rings when I go back to visit Sweden: the last time I wore them people kind of looked at me funny. Usually I see very plain bands, nothing 'over the top'. But perhaps that is just the circles I travel in....Last year in Stockholm I saw some diamonds but still nothing like here in Canada.
Oh, Hejhej! so You're originally from Sweden? Very cool... It's very much the 'lagom är bäst'-mentality here, the Swedish language is the only langauage in the world that has the word 'lagom' so that must say something about us
20.gif
. haha. But I do actually plan on wearing a 1.5 -2.0ct ring (when I get married) as I can't deny my love for diamonds, I'm kind of nervous about it though...
7.gif
I do think that there might some 'bigger' diamonds in the most central part of Stockholm though, prob 1 ct+, I've started a new part time job there at a known jewelry store, so I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing some bling...
18.gif

I am a Canadian. But I lived in Sweden as an exchange student and was kind of "adopted" by a Swedish Family and ended up living there for quite some time. I travel back and forth a lot, especially to keep my Swedish working!
Lagom is an amazing word. My other favourit is mysig.
1.gif

Where in Sverige are you? I lived in Malmo but my family is now in Jönköping, Varberg and VÄXJÖ.

teacherk

Rough_Rock
I live in Arkansas and rarely see anything over a carat. I''m originally from Tampa though and when I go home for visits there is no shortage of bling around. Still though, average around 3/4-1 ct. but many more 1.5+ sightings than I will ever see around here.

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 6:32:37 PM

Date: 5/26/2008 1:30:23 PM

Hej pa dig!!

Oh, Hejhej! so You''re originally from Sweden? Very cool... It''s very much the ''lagom är bäst''-mentality here, the Swedish language is the only langauage in the world that has the word ''lagom'' so that must say something about us
20.gif
. haha. But I do actually plan on wearing a 1.5 -2.0ct ring (when I get married) as I can''t deny my love for diamonds, I''m kind of nervous about it though...
7.gif
I do think that there might some ''bigger'' diamonds in the most central part of Stockholm though, prob 1 ct+, I''ve started a new part time job there at a known jewelry store, so I''m looking forward to hopefully seeing some bling...
18.gif

I am a Canadian. But I lived in Sweden as an exchange student and was kind of ''adopted'' by a Swedish Family and ended up living there for quite some time. I travel back and forth a lot, especially to keep my Swedish working!
Lagom is an amazing word. My other favourit is mysig.
1.gif

Where in Sverige are you? I lived in Malmo but my family is now in Jönköping, Varberg and VÄXJÖ.
Interesting, we have a lot of Canadian exchange students here...I think? I''m In Stockholm (about 10 min by train from the central parts), My uni is in Uppsala so I do some traveling during the weekdays...I''ve never been to Malmö or any of the other towns, (I''m actually going to Jönköping in a couple of wks, for the first time). I think itäs a curse being born and raised in Stockholm, we never leave the darn city to see other towns or cities.
6.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 1:54:18 PM
Author: Lwilliams
I''m in Seattle & I''ve been keeping my eye open since I''ve read this thread ... it seems most ladies are keeping the rock to a fairly moderate size. I''d say 1-1.5k ... and it also seems mostly solitare style.
Best of Luck ... Linda ...
I work in a small town north of Seattle, and I see a huge range (and yeah, I am a huge ring-looky-loo, it gives me something to do when working a retail counter). Most of the wedding sets & e-rings I see are well under a carat, like 1/4 carat-3/4 carat mostly. The ladies in the 40-60 age range usually wearing yellow gold, and those 60+ and 30 and under with white gold or platinum. Once or twice a day, usually, I get to see something enormous. Those that are large, are usually 3+ carats, and usually in the 40-80 age range. Oddly very little in the one-carat range, it seems like- either well under, or well over. Almost every significant size rock I see on a day-to-day basis is a round brilliant. Haven''t seen any asschers that have been large enough to look distinguishable as an asscher vs. a princess or other square from across a counter at a glance. A few princess cuts on the 20-30 age group, usually that look like a Zales purchase.

I see a ton of out of state & out of country travellers coming through every day, so I can''t say if what I see is *that* indicitive of Seattle; it could very well be that most of the larger stones are on ladies who''re out of state travellers.

There is one lady who is a regular, who has a smashing collection of jewelry. A huge 3 stone round brilliant ring with, I''d guess, a 3 ct center and 1 ct sides, with a fab eternity ring as her wedding set. Rings on most every finger besides the wedding set, nothing as huge as her wedding set but plenty of sparklies. A huge tennis bracelet- no idea the ct weight, but HUGE! Three diamond pendant necklaces usually. Beautiful diamond studs, probably 2 ct per ear. And she''ll wear it all with her sweatshirt & jeans! I love it. Someday I hope I have a collection half as nice- I''d wear it with jeans, too!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in the Philadelphia, Pa. area, and I''ve seen some very healthy stones (6+carats) at the King of Prussia Mall, Saks 5th Avenue in Bala Cynwyd and at a store called Boyd''s in downtown Philadelphia. I also see some big beauties at plays, ballet, opera, concerts and at private parties in jewelry stores. The biggest diamond I''ve seen anyone in Philadelphia wearing is a 12 carat emerald cut.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2008 4:37:31 PM
Author: mandielee

My high school friend who ended up in London reports similar. Her friends and their guys are quite well to do, and tend to get engaged and married around age 30-35, but her .91 princess is the biggest rock of them all - .4-.5 is more common, even among that set which tends to own 300,000-500,000 GBP apartments and take fantastic vacations.

Only rocks I''ve seen bigger than mine off-post are on the hands of rich old ladies at the opera in Nuremberg.

Big engagement rings = American thing. Europeans with that kind of money on-hand would rather spend it on spiffy trips. Different luxuries for different folks
28.gif
In London, £300k GBP will buy you a 650 sq ft 2 bed apartment on a council estate (welfare housing, for a ''nice'' 2 bed flat in a not expensive part of London you''re looking at £400k GBP - hence the probable reason most people have smaller bling - we''re all maxed out up to the eyeballs paying the mortgage!

Most of my friends are in their mid-30''s, working in finance, law, government etc, earn in the $150k pa region on average. They''re starting to get engaged about now. None of us wear designer clothes or even own cars, although we do all tend to go on one decent holiday abroad every year for 2 weeks - most of your money goes on the cost of living here and maxing out savings/pensions etc

I get to help with all the e-rings and they spend between $5k - £8k. Most are coloured stones with diamond sides/melee, or if they are diamond centre stones they are around the 1ct mark (because I get them for them and save loads of $$ via PS).

Of what I see on work collegues etc, under 0.5ct is the most normal.

The biggest diamond belongs to my FSIL and is 1.5ct - she''s from the US and FBIL asked me to find her a big diamond. It''s considered HUGE over here.

The only time I ever see really big bling (for the UK) is in New Bond Street - maybe 2 or 3 girls shopping for w-bands in Tiffs or similar have around the 2ct mark. Or on footballer''s wives!

Jewellery isn''t that big a thing over here - or at least not how it is in the US. You see a lot of cheap 9ct stuff on less well off people - ie 3 rings on every finger, big hollow chains and bracelets and mega earrings.

Among my own friends, I never notice them wear anything other than an e-ring, a pair of pearl or cz earrings and perhaps a simple gold chain. I''m regarded as somewhat eccentric for being so obsessed with jewellery and stones - although they all enjoy oggling anything new I buy!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the DC area, and I think the average size is about 1.5 carats that I see. I have a 2 ct stone, that will occassionally get compliments from a salesgirl at the mall or something, but 2 cts is not uncommon here. I grew up in NY, and I saw 3 or 4 ct diamonds all the time - I think the people in DC are a little more reserved in jewlery taste. However, I would love to have a 3 ct someday - I just have to convince my husband! ;-)

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/27/2008 9:02:06 AM
Author: Pandora II

My high school friend who ended up in London reports similar. Her friends and their guys are quite well to do, and tend to get engaged and married around age 30-35, but her .91 princess is the biggest rock of them all - .4-.5 is more common, even among that set which tends to own 300,000-500,000 GBP apartments and take fantastic vacations.

Only rocks I''ve seen bigger than mine off-post are on the hands of rich old ladies at the opera in Nuremberg.

Big engagement rings = American thing. Europeans with that kind of money on-hand would rather spend it on spiffy trips. Different luxuries for different folks
28.gif
In London, £300k GBP will buy you a 650 sq ft 2 bed apartment on a council estate (welfare housing, for a ''nice'' 2 bed flat in a not expensive part of London you''re looking at £400k GBP - hence the probable reason most people have smaller bling - we''re all maxed out up to the eyeballs paying the mortgage!

Most of my friends are in their mid-30''s, working in finance, law, government etc, earn in the $150k pa region on average. They''re starting to get engaged about now. None of us wear designer clothes or even own cars, although we do all tend to go on one decent holiday abroad every year for 2 weeks - most of your money goes on the cost of living here and maxing out savings/pensions etc

I get to help with all the e-rings and they spend between $5k - £8k. Most are coloured stones with diamond sides/melee, or if they are diamond centre stones they are around the 1ct mark (because I get them for them and save loads of $$ via PS).

Of what I see on work collegues etc, under 0.5ct is the most normal.

The biggest diamond belongs to my FSIL and is 1.5ct - she''s from the US and FBIL asked me to find her a big diamond. It''s considered HUGE over here.

The only time I ever see really big bling (for the UK) is in New Bond Street - maybe 2 or 3 girls shopping for w-bands in Tiffs or similar have around the 2ct mark. Or on footballer''s wives!

Jewellery isn''t that big a thing over here - or at least not how it is in the US. You see a lot of cheap 9ct stuff on less well off people - ie 3 rings on every finger, big hollow chains and bracelets and mega earrings.

Among my own friends, I never notice them wear anything other than an e-ring, a pair of pearl or cz earrings and perhaps a simple gold chain. I''m regarded as somewhat eccentric for being so obsessed with jewellery and stones - although they all enjoy oggling anything new I buy!
Too true. I got engaged six years ago, when I was still in London, and people thought my 1.3 solitaire was ferocious. Seriously, everyone was trying it on--even the general manager. This was in a media company, so not finance, but luvvies abounded, and luvvies with plenty of cash, so it was surprising to me that my ring made such an impact.

The only time I ever saw serious bling in London was in Chelsea...and that, I venture, had much to do with the large American population resident there.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I see a really wide range of stones on a daily basis. Among my coworkers and friends, my 1.5 carat asscher is average/small. I live in a working-class neighborhood, though, and take the T into work, so I see many < 1 carat stones around my neighborhood and on my way to work. I see quite a few plain bands as well. Before we were engaged we lived in an affluent neighborhood and the moms would be out and about during the day--when I worked from home I'd go to the grocery store and scope out rings. There were many lovely 2+ carat stones, but I noticed that many of them also wore bands without their e-ring.

I was once shopping at Louis Boston (correction: I wasn't shopping there, but a friend was shopping there and I was telling her she was crazy and that Filene's Basement was only a block away) and I saw at least 3 women with 5+ carat stones and one woman had a huge (maybe 8 carats) fancy yellow radiant. I couldn't help but follow them around a little. I had more fun looking at those womens' rings than anything else.

And this Sunday I was having brunch with a friend on Newbury and the woman at the table next to us had a humongous pear--we were outside and it was sunny out, which made for a nice show :) It's terrible...I'm like a moth to a flame.

mandielee

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/27/2008 9:02:06 AM
Author: Pandora II

Only rocks I've seen bigger than mine off-post are on the hands of rich old ladies at the opera in Nuremberg.

28.gif

In London, £300k GBP will buy you a 650 sq ft 2 bed apartment on a council estate (welfare housing, for a 'nice' 2 bed flat in a not expensive part of London you're looking at £400k GBP - hence the probable reason most people have smaller bling - we're all maxed out up to the eyeballs paying the mortgage!

Most of them were excessively clever (or psychic) and picked up those flats about 5-10 years ago... my friend's fiance acknowledges that he couldn't buy a similar flat now, which keeps him from being tempted to sell. Then again, she's working on convincing him that the US is an excellent place to raise small kids - the gain from the London apartment would buy a nice house back in Texas. I wish her luck with that project
28.gif

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2008 4:40:51 PM
Author: tradergirl
To Neverendingupgrade:

I doubt they can afford it. Check out the bankruptcy and foreclosure rates in Plano and Frisco. I used to bankruptcy work out there.

and the diamonds for sale on Craigslist from there.

There's a 12kt tennis necklace on there today from Frisco.
Great idea. I never thought of looking on Craigslist. I would need some cold hard cash to do that, though. Oh yeah, I can't afford it either. At least I don't pretend that I can!!!

Lauren--Maybe we should have a Dallas PS get-together like the Boston group did. We could meet at the Galleria, look at jewelry, and ice skate!

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
I live in Salt Lake City and there are a lot of young, married people here. I haven''t really seen any huge diamonds. Most are about 0.5 ct and not well cut. I haven''t seen any halos either... I''m the only person I know of who has a halo (outside of PS).

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
I live in Birmingham, MI and although when you think of MI ( at least when I do ) I think of just small midwest towns. WRONG. You go to my local mall (somerset) and you are likely to see HUGE diamonds. women around here are crazy. Even all of the women I babysit for have at least 2-3 carats. Although I envy them, at the same time lots of the women are tacky with fake everything. I think a well put together engagment ring that is .5 carats looks better then tacky, oversized bling bling. No offense of course!
1.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I live in Northern VA and pretty much the average among my friends and neighbors are .75-1.25. I do have one friend who has a 2.5 radiant with a 2 carat eternity band; she''s got some amazing bling on one finger!
3.gif
But that''s NOT the norm. One thing that I wish was normal here would be for women to CLEAN their wedding sets! I''m the only one who cleans her rings and I get compliments when we''re out in great lighting (restaurants mainly). Well, duh- I clean my rings!
11.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I do not see too many "HOLY MOLY" size diamonds where I live (Ohio). .50-1.00 is probably pretty normal. I do have a couple of friends with 1.5 & 1.75, but those are the biggest in my circle of friends.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!! Do I see them or do I see them?
9.gif

Living in Singapore (after having lived in HK, which I still visit fairly frequently) gives me a BIG case of DSS!! I kid you not!! I see many "tai-tais" (ie. rich women, either in their own right or by virtue of being married to a rich man) sporting ENORMOUS diamonds often enough that I constantly feel the urge to upgrade (that and PS, LOL, yes PS does not help at all!!LOL).

There are lots of Singaporean women and also rich Indonesian Chinese (just stating a fact here, not making any political comment - so please don't throw any eggs at me
1.gif
) here that wear *easily* 6-10 carat stones. I was at my local jeweller's the other day, and I saw a mother and daughter - both Indonesian Chinese - and I almost had a heart attack. The mother was wearing a GIGANTIC ring (I would guess 10 carat) and earrings of (I would guess) 4 carat each (they were practically falling off her ears) and the daugher (whom I would guess was in her twenties) was wearing a 3 carat or so ring and 2 carat each earrings. And guess this, I was told by my local jeweller (who was not exactly discreet - not that I was complaining, hee hee, since I was dying to know what else this mother and daughter team had
9.gif
) that these 2 were regular customers and that they had LOADS more jewellery and they were there to purchase even more diamonds!!
6.gif
9.gif

I also saw a caucasian woman the other day sporting a gorgeous EC diamond - easily 6-7 carats if not more. Again, just an observation of facts, not making any comment or judgement abt race, gender or anything else, most expat women here (meaning expat stay-at-home moms or professional women) would put familly and houses before diamonds and therefore do not have HUGE diamonds (translating into 6-10 carat), in the SG/ HK context, so I was really surprised to see a causasian woman with such a huge ring. I was sooooo tempted to scoot over to her to have a closer look but was to shy (yes, moi, hee hee) to do that. It was so captivatingly beautiful, I was practically droooooling
9.gif

God help the rest of us, that's all I can say
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results