carat
color
clarity

Do you own/use "high end" sunglasses?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1325473101|3093229 said:
wow, I had no idea the "designer" sunglasses are better lenses...I thought they were just branding.

I suspect $500 designer sunglasses lenses are not that much better than $150 ones.
I think for the top names they charge an arm and a leg for the prestige of the name.
Nothing wrong with if you value that but IMHO if you just want superb lenses you don't need to buy the top prestigious designers.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1325476262|3093255 said:
slg47|1325473101|3093229 said:
wow, I had no idea the "designer" sunglasses are better lenses...I thought they were just branding.

I suspect $500 designer sunglasses lenses are not that much better than $150 ones.
I think for the top names they charge an arm and a leg for the prestige of the name.
Nothing wrong with if you value that but IMHO if you just want superb lenses you don't need to buy the top prestigious designers.

oh no, sorry, I meant I didn't know that some of the $150-$500 ones are better lenses than the $10 ones.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
yeah, I sure don't think you can say across the board that all sunglasses that are $100+ are better than a $10 pair. You still need to be an informed consumer and look for good lenses. The price point doesn't tell you if you're getting quality for sure.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I won't buy high-end sunglasses because I lose sunglasses all the time! I'd hate to sink a lot of money into something I know I can't hang onto. I buy $10 pairs at Marshall's or TJ Maxx. My current favorites are Oscar de la Renta with big brown plastic "movie star" frames.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I splurge. I have a couple pair of Smith sunglasses I use for 'sport' and a few pair of designer sunglasses (just because I liked the frames). The Smiths have the best lenses though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs. taylor|1325476984|3093260 said:
yeah, I sure don't think you can say across the board that all sunglasses that are $100+ are better than a $10 pair. You still need to be an informed consumer and look for good lenses. The price point doesn't tell you if you're getting quality for sure.

Absolutely.
Like any product there will be good and poor values at every price point.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
This thread is making me want a new pair of nice sunglasses.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1325481063|3093318 said:
mrs. taylor|1325476984|3093260 said:

Absolutely.
Like any product there will be good and poor values at every price point.

Please show us what's good, Kenny?

I'd like to research this- the last time I looked I think I looked at the websites for Ray-ban (sp?) and oh another company the name I don't remember.

Thanks.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO Costco has some great values such as Maui Jim (or Hobbie) polarized glasses for $59 to $99 and they even have Costco's own Kirkland brand polarized sunglasses (around $39) which look very very clear and sharp to my eyes.

The Kirklands didn't look terribly stylish to me, but hey, I'm more of a function over form kind of guy.

One reason I stopped buying Ray Bans years ago is their lenses always looked a little green to me.
I've not check them for years though.

Years ago I used to go to Military Surplus stores and buy regulation Air Force glasses (intended for use by pilots) made by Randolph company.
I think they were well under $50 and very high quality.
They make you look as handsome as THIS guy.

EEEEEEEKKKKKKKK this link is selling them now for $199 - maybe check the army surplus stores.
(Oh wait . . . it's !199 NZD, perhaps that's New Zealand Dollars.)
http://www.randolphsunglasses.com/Store/Service/Engine/PrCategoryLink/1/Category/Aviation%20Sunglasses.html

If your budget is over $100 someone else has to advise you.
That's the limit of what I'll consider spending.

sunglassesdon_sunglasses.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
:bigsmile:

I have the silliest glasses. Well, I did until I noticed they were broken in my wrecked car along with the worst mess I've seen in a car, and I've been cleaning cars ever since I can remember, so I just threw them away. Let me revise this. I had the silliest glasses until tonight. SO had bought them to go over regular glasses. Mine had worn out ($13 ones literally break after about six months) and I had been wearing this pair he had bought as a temporary solution to not having sunglasses. Now he has prescription glasses and sunglasses (and I wish I had both, glasses to be able to read better, and sunglasses to be able to, yes, drive better). So, I'm going to take a look at these. Thanks for the recommendations, Kenny.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maui Jims all the way. Even non-prescription ones are in the $250 range, but I think they're worth it. I love the grey lenses - absolutely no distortion of colors.

I still have my script pair of Shorelines (I think that frame has finally been discontinued) as backup (my eyes are shifting and I will likely need that strength again sometime) and a new pair of Rainbow Falls.

As long as I don't have to, I'm not wearing cheap sunglasses. The difference between them and good ones is just too large to brush off.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was once told by my optician that I have a funny shaped nose. Apparently my bridge can't hold up glasses which don't have nose pads. So that rules out a lot of designer sunglasses.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1325490621|3093354 said:

You and me both. I usually buy cheap sunglasses although I would like to buy a pair of more expensive ones. I just can't justify spending that much money on sunglasses yet-I'll wait until I'm working full time.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just need to go back out and try more on. I need to wait for all this "sale" drama to die down though so I can park at the mall and whatnot.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I just got back from Costco and they have tons of Polarized inexpensive sturdy sunglasses for $80 and under. They sell Maui Jim's too for $70 and up. just an fyi

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1325529963|3093544 said:
Okay I just got back from Costco and they have tons of Polarized inexpensive sturdy sunglasses for $80 and under. They sell Maui Jim's too for $70 and up. just an fyi

will definitely check those out next time I am at Costco! thanks Skippy (and others!)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy|1325529963|3093544 said:

IMHO polarized Maui Jim's for $70 is to best sunglasses value EVAH!!!
You can pay more but you can't get more! (well, much more in terms of lens performance)

Costco Rocks!!!

Once again, if you value the feeling of status you get from other people recognizing your $700 pair of Gucci's, then so be it.
Or if you feel Gucci's lens quality really IS ten times better than $70 Maui Jim's, so be it.
Nothing wrong with that.
The status aspect has zero value to me and some others, even if we could easily afford such glasses.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own and use a pair of $300-$350 Oakleys. I was gifted a pair about 7-8 years and accidentally dropped and ran over them with my car in my gravel driveway. I replaced them with a similar pair that I've now had for about 4 years. I really like them! I think maybe I have sensitive eyes, I'm constantly squinting at any hint of light. Sunglasses seem to stop that so I wear them frequently.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I do-- but I consider my Chanels, Dolce, etc to be fashion pieces. I don't think the lenses are AMAZING.

I agree with whoever said "once you go polarized you never go back"

BUT... I would say, once you go Maui Jim, you can't accept anything else. If I ever actually need to "see well" ie driving, reading outdoors, etc I ALWAYS reach for a pair of Maui Jims. Not the most stylish, but the lenses are just fabulous especially on the water.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I find I take far more care of my higher end sunglasses than I used to with the cheapies. I have quite a narrow face so find it really difficult to find sunglasses that are not too wide. I hate sunglasses shopping because it means hours of trying on every pair in the shop and for some reason widths vary within the brand so I can't just stick to one. I have also found that a lot of brands have made the logo on the outside of the arm huge in recent years which I dislike.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
marcy|1325467885|3093171 said:
Yes, I have 2 pairs or Ray Ban. Sadly i quit wearing my contacts. I wonder if either of them can be used for prescription sunglasses?
DS just had to quit wearing his contacts and he looked into getting prescription lenses for his Ray Bans. It can be done if your prescription lenses are not too thick (i.e., you don't need much correction). They have screws to allow new lenses, but the the lenses need to be on the thin side. Unfortunately, his prescription was too strong, and he ended up picking a similar looking pair of aviators for his prescription lenses.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really need to just suck it up and get a Costco membership. I love going there. And I am not ashamed that I love their hotdogs and their very berry sundae from the concession stand.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Imdanny said:

Me too! I have come close to splurging several times but can never quite bring myself to do it. Right now I alternate between two pairs, both under $20.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Kenny, Costco optical department is a great place to start. I bough a pair of very flashy Dior glasses there for $97 and they lasted for 3 years. They were easily $200+ in the stores. They change their selection constantly, so check multiple stores on multiple days.

Before that I bought a pair of Gucci at Saks for $200+ and they were very clear.

If you wear contacts, sunglasses are a must! The contacts concentrate the sun into your eyes and can cause damage, at least that's what an optician told me.

I'm currently in a pair of Chloe glasses that I bought at Off Fifth. They usually have a HUGE selection of designer goodies, and they often go on sale for under $99.

I don't need any help growing the wrinkles in the corner of my eyes, so I always wear sunglasses to avoid squinting. I've never lost an expensive pair, and always put them back in the case when I'm not wearing them.

But I always take mine off when talking to people. I hate it when people leave their sunglasses on when they talk to me, I think it's rude. Does anyone else feel this way?

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say I have always had reasonably good sunnies (recently purchased Raybans with polarised lenses and love them). I also have a pair of Chanel reading glasses, they were very expensive but oh so lovely :love:

Ame I think it just depends on what feels best for you - overall, protecting your eyes is very important :wavey:

princesss

Ideal_Rock
After I bought my Ray-Bans I can't ever go back to cheap sunglasses. And I imagine that once I end up getting a polarized pair, I won't be able to stop wearing polarized lenses. Seriously, the difference is amazing. No more squinting, no more headaches, just relief.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't actually get headaches from it. I just know that I squint. lol and that Im blinded.

iLander|1325603875|3094023 said:
But I always take mine off when talking to people. I hate it when people leave their sunglasses on when they talk to me, I think it's rude. Does anyone else feel this way?
Doesn't really bother me unless it's on a day or inside where they're not needed.

Monnyjay|1325604544|3094028 said:
I have to say I have always had reasonably good sunnies (recently purchased Raybans with polarised lenses and love them). I also have a pair of Chanel reading glasses, they were very expensive but oh so lovely :love:

Ame I think it just depends on what feels best for you - overall, protecting your eyes is very important :wavey:
Yknow I think the gods are trying to tlel me to buy them. I got an email from Ebates that Ray-ban has higher percent back today. But then again I cant use that anyway bec Im using a Nordstrom gift card.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Kenny,

Do you have to go to a Costco store for Maui Jim's? I'm in the market for Maui's. I tried looking on their website and got nothing. It's also winter in Chicago, so I'm not sure if the sunglasses thing is just a seasonal or only for you lucky warm weather people. (Yes, I am jealous)

I'm definitely in the camp of getting nice sunglasses. The lenses are better and polarized makes it super easy for most outdoor activities.

I like the brown tint, since I can still use it in transitional light, like setting sun etc. The grey/smoke is a touch dark for my tastes.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Mine are prescription. I've tried getting the designer frames like Coach or Gucci, but for some reason when you add in prescription lenses they get bigger, so I always have to downgrade. I think the frames in my current pair were ~$100 :sun:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results