shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you own/use "high end" sunglasses?

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear glasses so no I do not own or use them...but kids are a different story, lol, last year "Santa" brought both my boys a set of matching RayBans...one son is now 26 the other is 14....trust me they were the hit of the gifts lol...

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Every year my health insurance gives me $600 to use on eyewear. After ordering contact lenses, I have about $400 to use or lose. So I get Chanel sunglasses every year, which cost anywhere from $350-500 for free. I have about six pairs now and after losing one pair out and about, I got a cheapie pair to "wear and lose." I have to say, I haven't noticed the difference!!! The new pair I have are from a company called Hoven sold in a store called Athleta. They're only $50 but the lenses are just as good! I think they look just as good, too. I didn't notice any squinting with the cheaper pair yet! :naughty:

The Chanel shades are just plastic/polycarbonate resin, nothing special. I think high end sunglasses are marked up just for the brand unless they're a serious sunglass brand for outdoor people like Oakleys or Ray Bans...just like fashion watches from houses like Cartier are expensive but not true timepieces for the connoisseurs? Aren't even the cheapie sunglasses coated to provide UVA/UVB protection?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes and I love them! I have polarized Ray Bans that are super cute. The style is called Cats 1000. I also have a pair of Ray Ban aviators with regular lenses, and I love the look, but they just aren't that comfortable on my nose when I wear them for long periods.

I have some Marc by Marc Jacobs sunglasses, too, but those may as well be cheapies because the quality does not match the price! I got them from the store I used to work at, so at least I got a discount!

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of Burberry sunglasses that I love, and I can't find another pair that even comes close to them. I actually went looking today, but I couldn't find anything that I like as much.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need prescription sunglasses and they usually cost more than I'd like, but I deal.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think more expensive sunglasses just feel stronger? I have had some cheap ones but my Persols are great and they are polarized.

Wow Bliss that is awesome! We use to have eye insurance like that but then it changed and that went away.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once you've had polarized lenses, you'll never go back! I've had a couple of pair of Maui Jim but my latest pair are by Dolce and Gabbana. Maui Jim is great about replacing scratched or damaged lenses (for a fee of course!) but some of their glasses were heavy on the face and nose. My current pair has a lighter weight plastic frame but the lenses are to die for!

As to cost, we pay for our pleasures as usual. However, I find that because I pay a lot of money for sunglasses, I baby them. I always put them away in their case - never thrown in my purse or on a table. I do enjoy them and have no more squinting - such a nice thing!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
shortstack|1325367308|3092477 said:
You may want to try Alain Mikli sunglasses; the quality is superb and they last for years.

Pics of my favorite pair:

oh wow, those look nice; off to google where to buy Alain Mikli. l

ok I just googled them, now way can I buy them, $800!!! I bet they are nice though!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1325428149|3092811 said:
Once you've had polarized lenses, you'll never go back! I've had a couple of pair of Maui Jim but my latest pair are by Dolce and Gabbana. Maui Jim is great about replacing scratched or damaged lenses (for a fee of course!) but some of their glasses were heavy on the face and nose. My current pair has a lighter weight plastic frame but the lenses are to die for!

As to cost, we pay for our pleasures as usual. However, I find that because I pay a lot of money for sunglasses, I baby them. I always put them away in their case - never thrown in my purse or on a table. I do enjoy them and have no more squinting - such a nice thing!

a few years back ago it seemed Persol, Rayban, Maui's and Oakley's seemed to be the Only polarized but it is awesome now so many different brands are selling polarized.

Okay here is a little secret on many of the designer sunglasses, they are made by mainly one company Luxottica!!! so if you say one brand is better then the other, chances are they are both made my Luxottica ;-)
here is some info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxottica

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think good sunglasses are a must! They protect your eyes, and could prevent you from having cataracts later in life. I am all for that, and I think they are so worth the investment. I have had 4 or 5 pairs of Maui jims. I love them and the polarization is totally worth the price. I have bought a couple pairs on ebay for less. I would do that again. They were genuine. I had tried them on at local stores first to make sure I like the style on me.

Recently, I have bought 3 pairs of really cute polarized glasses at Costco for between 30-50 dollars a pair. 2 by Phoebe Couture, 1 by Karen Kane, and 1 by Vera Bradley. I used to only own one pair of sunglasses at a time. My daughter worked for Sunglass Hut for a while after high school and she had a million pairs, and I could never understand the point. Then I found my first pair at Costco. They were fun and different. I kept thinking about the other pair I didn't get. I went back the next day and got them. A new obsession was born! I love changing them now like a handbag. I wear them for a couple months and then I switch. One thing, if you find a pair you like at Costco, buy them right away, because they will be gone quick. But at 30 bucks or so, just add it in your grocery money! :naughty:

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I splurge on one good pair of sunglasses every year and I take good take care of them. This year I chose Chanel and I love them. As someone else said just a small bit of luxury to enjoy.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Sooo love good sun glasses, to repeat what others have said I have worn sunglasses for years , (I have migraines and strong light is a trigger) I used to buy cheapos then wore a pair of dhs polarized fishing glasses and the light bulb came on! I have a pair of oakleys that
i wear most days running around and for outdoors stuff gardening/ hiking/ fishing I have these by Foster grant, not too pricey maybe 30 bucks but they are the best, they are called Iron girl and they have a kind of rubber coating so they do not slide off when you get sweaty digging in the dirt or what ever.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1325367910|3092494 said:
Imdanny|1325362454|3092417 said:
Interesting question because I live and have lived in very sunny places.

Short answer is no, I can't justify it to myself to buy $100 sunglasses when I can get a pair almost anywhere for around the $12- $13 price point.

In a way, this is silly because I could have just not bought Diet Coke for two months or something, you know what I mean?, and I could buy nice sunglasses.

I did have a nice pair once. They were $89, and I'd say in today's money that could be up to about the $120 price point or so.

I loved them. You can see much more clearly through the lenses and the frames fit your face better and don't let as much light in.

I definitely think they're worth it, at least to the level of the ones I had.

I broke them. Sadly, those had to be replaced with cheap ones because breaking the nice ones was just so irresponsible, and I haven't bought a nice pair since.

So I guess my answer has to be no but I wouldn't rule it out. I'd love to have a nice pair again.

I don't know what it is about your posts lately Danny but I think you are just lovely. I want to give you a big hug! And a big diamond and a new pair of sunglasses!!

I read your compliment in the other thread first, Maisie, and it made me cry. I had just seen Shortstack's post addressed to me about giving me books! The two of you and everyone else here have been so very kind. Thank you.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1325437248|3092871 said:
Maisie|1325367910|3092494 said:
Imdanny|1325362454|3092417 said:
Interesting question because I live and have lived in very sunny places.

Short answer is no, I can't justify it to myself to buy $100 sunglasses when I can get a pair almost anywhere for around the $12- $13 price point.

In a way, this is silly because I could have just not bought Diet Coke for two months or something, you know what I mean?, and I could buy nice sunglasses.

I did have a nice pair once. They were $89, and I'd say in today's money that could be up to about the $120 price point or so.

I loved them. You can see much more clearly through the lenses and the frames fit your face better and don't let as much light in.

I definitely think they're worth it, at least to the level of the ones I had.

I broke them. Sadly, those had to be replaced with cheap ones because breaking the nice ones was just so irresponsible, and I haven't bought a nice pair since.

So I guess my answer has to be no but I wouldn't rule it out. I'd love to have a nice pair again.

I don't know what it is about your posts lately Danny but I think you are just lovely. I want to give you a big hug! And a big diamond and a new pair of sunglasses!!

I read your compliment in the other thread first, Maisie, and it made me cry. I had just seen Shortstack's post addressed to me about giving me books! The two of you and everyone else here have been so very kind. Thank you.

You are such a sweetheart! Have a big HUG!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish I could wear regular sunglasses - cheap/high end/whatevah!!! I have bad vision that require multiple upgrades on new lenses, bringing just a regular pair of glasses with progressive bifocals, up to the $600 range - and that's with a stylish frame, but not outrageous! This particular brand doesn't have clip ons that will fit, so I wear a pair of 'granny glasses' from Walmart that fit over my glasses --- yeah - stylin' it is NOT!

I would LOVE to have a pair of well made, well fit, perfectly matched to my eyes, wrap around sunglasses, but ... I don't. I channel my luxury spending into other things :$$): Reading about how noticeable the difference is for some people, maybe it might be worth checking out.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I really love high-end sunglasses....I actually really like "collecting" them haha! I feel like sunglasses are the perfect accessory - plus I love that if I don't feel like putting on some mascara I can just wear my sunglasses. I had raybans that I absolutely LOVED until my husband broke them by accident. I just got a pair of carrera's that I love. My husband wears Prada's that he loves...mostly because of the shape and because they are polarized, his eyes are super sensitive. I won't spend over 350 on a pair of sunglasses and if I'm spending 350 - I only buy them if I am absolutely *in love*. Gotta say though, I still love the cheapies too. I've had a lot of awesome cheap sunglasses.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear cheap sunglasses because I have a bad habit of sitting on them.

I rarely get headaches, but when I do dehydration is always the cause.

I love some of the sunglasses that have been posted in this thread. Makes me wish I was a bit more responsible . . .

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I HOPE I can take care of them...I don't take particularly wonderful care of my actual glasses, though I rarely leave the bedroom in them. I take ridiculous care of my rings and phone and wallet but less good care of my purse. I am hoping if I get a good hard case with these that will help. I do like to use them as a headband tho...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yes, but I don't choose them b/c they are expensive I choose them for comfort. I try on all types and try and get the most lightweight--they just happen to be costlier since the product they use to make them lighter is more expensive.

I have never worn eyeglasses so am conscious of anything "weighty" on my face (I too have Ray Ban aviators that bother me after a while)..so if I ever give those away I will replace them with Persole as they are much lighter ....

cheers--Sharon

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I have one pair of Coach sunglasses, a prescription pair of Juicy Couture ones, and a couple of cheapies from American Eagle Outfitters. The prescription ones were the most expensive and I don't think they are any better than my other sunglasses. I think the Coach ones are the most sturdy feeling and I got them when the outlet store was having a great sale.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I do, and I don't treat them well, but they survive for really a long time.

Oakley, Rudi Project and Parasite.

For me the thing that worries me most about cheap brands is, that the lens might not be coated to block UV. Which as I'm given to understand is a really really cheap treatment from a production standpoint. But some cheaper lenses still don't do it. They just darken images.

While makes your Iris open waay up since it is so dark, giving all those lovely UV rays more play in your eyeball. Of course, this is my own fear scenario. I'm not sure this is actually what happens... but this fear coupled with the distortion of images makes it such that higher end sunnies are the choice to be made.

Besides, it is like $50 vs $15... If you add style and brand then you get into the $299, $399 range and I think those aren't necessarily materially better in terms of eye protection. But they look cool! 8-)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have 2 pairs or Ray Ban. Sadly i quit wearing my contacts. I wonder if either of them can be used for prescription sunglasses?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1325467473|3093167 said:
Besides, it is like $50 vs $15... If you add style and brand then you get into the $299, $399 range and I think those aren't necessarily materially better in terms of eye protection. But they look cool! 8-)

Splitting hairs here, but IMHO the object looking cool does not make the owner look cool.
I don't mind paying for quality but I won't pay anything for the perception of status.

All of my clothing comes from thrift stores.
I seek out the better designer names because usually the cloth and workmanship is finer.
The moment I get it home I use an Xacto blade to carefully remove the stitching of that Polo Player thingie.

The idea of me being a walking ad disgusts me.
I don't feel of any higher status because of the price or the quality of my stuff.
It is the stuff that's super groovy, not me.

Now if Ralph Lauren wants to mail me monthly checks then I'll leave their logo on the clothing. :lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now, if money can go towards bling or high end sunglasses, bling wins, hands down! I hope to one day be in the position that I can have both.

I will pay a little more for sport sunglasses with polarized lenses, like Bolle. I usually pay $90 or less. I can definitely tell a difference between my Bolle's and the $5 or $10 glasses from the streets. Since most of my driving tends to be to and from work, I find myself often blinded by glare, and the polarized lenses plus wraparound shape have been AMAZING for driving with the sun in your eyes.

My mom had an acute glaucoma attack a few years ago, and has been quite sensitive to the sun ever since - probably an after effect of the attack and all the eye drops she continuously administers. The Bolles with polarized lenses are the only things that made her comfortable in the afternoon sunlight or when encountering glare from snow or sun.

This really made me appreciate how important it is to have good lenses in your sunglasses.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Skippy, I love Persol sunglasses! They were my first real pair - and they were so well made. Great great Italian company with glass lenses, not plastic! Ahhhh, Persols are great glasses. I lost those when I moved and have never found the same pair!

Ahhhh, who's with me on getting ImDanny some pretty nice sunglasses? I'll split the cost! :naughty:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
wow, I had no idea the "designer" sunglasses are better lenses...I thought they were just branding.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
DH bought me a pair of prescription Ralph Lauren sunglasses for my birthday and I am so thrilled with them. I know, not super high end, but they're the first pair of stylish sunglasses that nearly blind me has ever owned. I used to always get glasses on my dad's health insurance. It only covered $200 every two years so I always had to try and find sunglasses at the cheapo 2 for 1 places. As a consequence I either had clip-ons, or sunglasses in regular glasses frames. I was always super jealous of the girls with BIG glasses.

Now I can claim on my insurance and DH's so it won't be an issue anymore.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had several pairs of more expensive sport sunglasses--Oakley, Bolle, Smith. I had a pair of Marc by Marc Jacobs sunglasses a couple years ago and the quality was crap. When I finally lost them, I didn't replace them. Love my Smiths, though, they are great.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results