shape
carat
color
clarity

do you have a pantry in your house?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Yes and no...? Our house had a little nook off of the kitchen and between the door to the attic, so DH and I put up shelves and now that nook is a pantry. I love it. Our cabinets are too full to house food, anyway.

Haven - a little sweeping generalization there! ;-) My parents'' house nor my MIL''s house has a pantry. Both of their houses are from the late 70''s. I really think age/popular layouts probably has more to do with it than anything else.

Oooh, and though my parents don''t have a pantry, they do have an antique Hoosier. If I had a bigger home, I''d be begging them to part with it!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a nice sized laundry room in the lowest level of my house. Half of the room is devoted to washing, drying and ironing clothes, and the other half has two double door pantry closets and my second full sized fridge. I''d be lost without this extra storage space since we only have two kitchen cabinets devoted to canned, packaged and boxed foods. I also have big cabinets lining the walls in my laundry room, but I found it''s like a woman''s handbag. The more space you have, the faster you fill it up. We''re at the point where we''re sorely lacking for places to put things again.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/8/2009 8:41:12 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I LOVE our walk-in pantry. It keeps all the food in one place also has room to store extra paper products, cleaning stuff, serving pieces etc. I even keep my cookbooks in there.
HI:

Same! I often drag in a chair (and glass of wine!!) and read my cookbooks.....
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Nope, no pantry in our 93 year old house. The original lay-out for these homes was to have a straight shot of the kitchen when you open the front door through a little hall-way, but you can also access it by walking to through the living room and then the dining room. Most people who still have that configuration put shelves on either side of the little hallway for food storage, but it could also be closed off to be a big pantry with access only from the kitchen.

In our house, though, the previous owner put a downstairs bath in the only place it could go in these houses: in the little hallway with access from the foyer; it's walled off on the kitchen side. The bathroom is about 4 feet wide with the sink and toilet side by side; I kind of wish he had gone for a smaller, pedestal sink with the toilet across from it. Then there would have been room to put maybe 1 foot deep shelves on the kitchen side.

He did give us more kitchen storage space by moving the back door from the kitchen (which meant you had to have a galley kitchen) to the dining room. So now we have cabinets/kitchen stuff on three walls instead of two, and our kitchen sink looks out into the backyard instead of at a wall (although actually he also removed the wall between the kitchen and the dining room). And where the hallway would have gone, we have our wine glass rack, our spice racks, and our tv, so it's not like we're not using that space. Still, I have to stuff all of our food into cabinets. We store paper towels and a few less frequently used cooking items in the basement.

Walk-in, regular closet, or devoted vertical cabinetry, it would be nice to have a pantry any which way.

In our condo (built in the 20s) we had a kitchen closet/pantry, but we only had two other closets, and they were both coat-closet sized, so we had to use the kitchen closet to store things like paint and suitcases and tools. I think maybe one shelf was devoted to canned foods and the rest was in the kitchen cabinets.

Now that we're having a baby I know we need to clean up what we've got in the kitchen -- cookbooks and beer glasses will be the first to get moved, probably. And I've never used the turkey roasting pan so that can go to the basement too.

We've got a buffet and a china cabinet in the dining room, so that helps free up kitchen cabinet space too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results