shape
carat
color
clarity

do you have a pantry in your house?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wish we had one...got junks all over the place.
14.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We do not. Our house sucks. Well, we''ve been making it less sucky-we (and by we, I mean JD and my dad) added a counter along a bare wall in the dining area of the kitchen and more cupboards. JD''s building a pantry in the basement this winter, and we''re planning on adding a couple ready made pantries to the kitchen too. I love having tons of storage and everything OFF my counters!

DF, I bet you''ve got places in your house you could add storage!

E B

Ideal_Rock
We do, but it''s not walk-in. I''d looove a walk-in pantry.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Yep, bad news.....more junk to clean.
2.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Our pantry was basically just a closet. You opened the door to shelves.
We just turned it into a walk-in pantry though. We lucked out because our garage (which has a built-in storage area) was on the other side of the wall. We tore down the wall between the pantry closet and the storage space and then built a NEW wall. So now our garage is a perfect square and our pantry is a walk-in. No idea if I did a good job illustrating that. haha.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
No.
7.gif
The house I grew up in has one, and I still miss it.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did in our last three homes, but not this one! I miss it!
7.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE our walk-in pantry. It keeps all the food in one place also has room to store extra paper products, cleaning stuff, serving pieces etc. I even keep my cookbooks in there.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I have the closet type pantry which has room for lots of food, cookbooks, tools, and a few other things. But I have a free standing pantry in the basement too because of my bulk buying. I lived in one house without a pantry and I had to use tons of cabinets to store all the food.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/8/2009 7:15:48 PM
Author: packrat
We do not. Our house sucks. Well, we''ve been making it less sucky-we (and by we, I mean JD and my dad) added a counter along a bare wall in the dining area of the kitchen and more cupboards. JD''s building a pantry in the basement this winter, and we''re planning on adding a couple ready made pantries to the kitchen too. I love having tons of storage and everything OFF my counters!

DF, I bet you''ve got places in your house you could add storage!
we do have a 3 car garage but it gets too hot in the summer for storing canned foods.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a built-in desk in our kitchen that we ripped out and build a closet around. We installed shelves, a door and lighting and voila a pantry! I don''t know what we''d do without one. It''s where we store most of our dry goods.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
We do, but I wish it were bigger and either shallower or walk-in. The shelves are too deep, and things tend to get pushed toward the back.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, we do. However, I want a Butler''s Pantry so bad. It''s on the must have list for the next house.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
We have a tiny one, the size of most linnen closets. It holds enough, but a walk-in would be nice!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never heard of a house without a pantry! I think they''re standard here in Illinois, we looked at over 70 homes when we were house hunting and they all had one.

Ours is a bit too deep for my liking, I''m constantly digging into the back to take inventory so I don''t overbuy things.

Penn--I''m with you on the butler''s pantry! Were planning on adding on to the back of our house in the next several years, and a butler''s pantry is already in the design. They are so nice for entertaining.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
The house we''re buying has 2 but neither are walk-in. Our apartment doesn''t have one so we converted our coat closet into a pantry with shelves from the Container Store...otherwise I don''t know where we''d be able to store food...

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
I have the tiniest looking pantry but it''s never been a problem. It''s only about 4ft tall by 2 ft wide with drawers that pull out. It''s sooo deep that the drawers hold a ton of stuff. I''ve never seen anything like it but it''s not too bad!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a walk-in one, but it''s situated under the stairs, so it slants as it extends back so the sizing of each shelf is different.

It''s convenient, though, as it can fit all our food, paper towels, small coolers, flats of water. . .yeah, it''s nice to have.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
We do. It''s really like a narrow broom closet with shelves, thus making it a pantry. It doesn''t hold as much as I''d like, so we end up putting most of our canned/boxed goods on shelves in the basement for storage, then we bring up only what''s open.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
When I was growing up we had a walk in pantry and now my husband and I have a pantry, but it isn''t a walk in. I love it though. It is an already built thing. It looks just like our cabinets up top and has two doors at the bottom. When you open the top there are two shelves at the top and a big shelf at the bottom that slides out. The bottom opens like a double door fridge and has shelves in the doors for spices or whatever and there are these tall things that are on hinges that swing out and then behind them there are more shelves. It holds so much stuff and matches our kitchen cabinets perfectly. I really like it. We are thinking of moving to a bigger house and I want to take it with us, but hubby says that it stays with the house. Hopefully we can get another one.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
A nice big one. And tons of deep cabinets. It was a major selling point in buying our new house. It may not be my dream kitchen - yet - but it is not tiny, cramped, or lacking in storage, Hallelujah!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
The condo that we own but rent out doesn''t have a pantry. We''ve had to cram all of our food and everything else into the cabinets. The condo we''re living in now has a pantry but it''s not walk-in. It IS deep though, which is great.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
We have a closet pantry in the kitchen and another closet pantry right off the bathroom on the first floor.

We also added storage to the garage, which we don''t use except to store junk and stuff, and put stuff there.

I would love to get a deep freezer to store all those frozen things I buy from Costco. I neve have enough room in my fridge...
15.gif

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 12:50:54 PM
Author: Haven
I''ve never heard of a house without a pantry! I think they''re standard here in Illinois, we looked at over 70 homes when we were house hunting and they all had one.
They are definitely common around there, but neither my parents or grandparents ever had one! My aunts and uncles in the Chicago-land area sometimes do, though!

We don''t have one in our apartment (not in Illinois), and I really wish we did! Our food is stuffed in a cabinet, filled to the brim. I''m afraid to open it less something falls on my head! The good thing about less space is, of course, less for me to clean. ;-)

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
NO...city apts are small and hardly any storage space. I wish I had the walk in pantry my sis has.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t even have drawers in my kitchen.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 4:55:38 PM
Author: musey
I don''t even have drawers in my kitchen.
How on earth do you manage?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 7:27:35 PM
Author: pennquaker09
Date: 9/11/2009 4:55:38 PM
Author: musey
I don't even have drawers in my kitchen.
How on earth do you manage?
We had things on racks in the cupboards, the normal drawer items anyway, for a long time.

Finally we caved and bought a free-standing cabinet unit that's half drawers. Life is so much better now. No idea what we're gonna do with it when we move, though [:eyeroll:]

I'm so sick of apartment life.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock

Ours is a bit too deep for my liking, I''m constantly digging into the back to take inventory so I don''t overbuy things.

Penn--I''m with you on the butler''s pantry! Were planning on adding on to the back of our house in the next several years, and a butler''s pantry is already in the design. They are so nice for entertaining.
+1.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 8:44:48 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I've never heard of a house without a pantry! I think they're standard here in Illinois, we looked at over 70 homes when we were house hunting and they all had one.

Ours is a bit too deep for my liking, I'm constantly digging into the back to take inventory so I don't overbuy things.

Penn--I'm with you on the butler's pantry! Were planning on adding on to the back of our house in the next several years, and a butler's pantry is already in the design. They are so nice for entertaining.
+1.
I grew up in Illinois, and we didn't have a pantry in our house. It's a 100+ year old house, though... but I don't remember any of my friends' houses having them either. Again, mostly older houses, but most of them not more than 50 years old. Maybe era has something to do with it?

My parents ended up converting the basement area under the kitchen into an obscenely large pantry
3.gif
they could survive a nuclear holocaust with the food in there.
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results