shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have a favorite brand of clam chowder?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one from Seattle taste...:lickout:

IMG_1066.JPG

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
I like this one...

54d6b89463342.png

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I make one from scratch in the InstaPot that is crazy delicious. It's so easy that I don't mind making it vs. buying some. (It's from a recipe, not my own creation. And I don't love to cook, so when I say it's easy, I mean it!)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I’m just a seafood snob since I live in New England but clam chowder in a can is :naughty:

We don’t get it often but it has to be from the fish market or one of the seafood restaurants by the shore.

Okay yeah, I am a snob I guess :lol:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I’m just a seafood snob since I live in New England but clam chowder in a can is :naughty:

We don’t get it often but it has to be from the fish market or one of the seafood restaurants by the shore.

Okay yeah, I am a snob I guess :lol:

I'm in NE too and I can relate to your post! I feel dirty eating it from a can, and the few times I have tried there was no comparison. And can we just talk about when the seafood afficionados offer it in a bread bowl.... :lickout:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in NE too and I can relate to your post! I feel dirty eating it from a can, and the few times I have tried there was no comparison. And can we just talk about when the seafood afficionados offer it in a bread bowl.... :lickout:

The bread bowls really are the best although I’m GF now so no more bread bowls for me :cry2:

Fresh is just the best way with any seafood and although I do love clam chowder if lobster bisque is on the menu then I have no love for the clams :cool2:

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I make one from scratch in the InstaPot that is crazy delicious. It's so easy that I don't mind making it vs. buying some. (It's from a recipe, not my own creation. And I don't love to cook, so when I say it's easy, I mean it!)

And are you going to make us beg for the recipe?

:pray:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s my clam chowder hack - one tablespoon of sherry per two servings of clam chowder will make any canned clam chowder taste gourmet. (I routinely fo this with Campbell’s, because it’s the most readily available.)

Back when I was working, the cafeteria served a clam chowder that was absolutely sublime once a week - if you got there before they sold out, that is. I once got one of the staff to show me the package - it was Chef Francisco brand. At that time it was only available through institutional distributors.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And are you going to make us beg for the recipe?

:pray:

Lol!

Recipe credit: Sandy Clifton

I made notes after ingredients in italics regarding what I use specifically.

Ingredients​

• (3) 6.5 oz cans Chopped Clams* (reserve the clam juice) (I use Bar Harbor chopped clams)
  • Water or a small bottle of clam juice. (to add to clam juice) (I top off clam juice with water; with Bar Harbor brand I hardly need more than 1/4c because they come with so much lovely juice!)
  • 5 slices Bacon, chopped (I use an Applewood bacon)
  • 3 Tbsp Butter (I use Kerry Gold)
  • 1 Onion, diced (I use sweet onion)
  • 2 stalks Celery, diced
  • 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried) (I often have to sub dried)
  • 2 cloves Garlic, pressed or finely minced
  • 1 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt or to taste
  • 1/4 tsp Pepper
  • 1 1/2 lbs Potatoes, 4 cups diced (I use yukon gold or yellow potatoes, peel on)
  • 1/2 tsp Sugar (optional) (I skip this)
  • 1 1/3 cups Half and Half
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Potato or Corn Starch (optional, for thickening) (I use potato startch; corn starch does not agree with my GI)
  • Chopped Chives, for garnish

Instructions​

1. Open the cans of clams and drain the clam juice into a 2 cup measuring cup. Add enough water to make 2 cups of liquid. Set the clams and juice/water aside.
  2. Turn on the pressure cooker's Sauté function and add the chopped bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fat has rendered out of it, but not crispy.
  3. Add the butter, onion, celery, and thyme. Cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot to get up all of the brown bits, until the onion starts turning translucent.
  4. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
  5. Add the potatoes, sugar (if using) and clam juice/water mixture and stir.
  6. Put the lid on the pot and lock in place. Turn the steam release knob to the Sealing position.
  7. Cancel the Sauté function.
  8. Set to Pressure Cook/Manual, and use the + or - (or dial) to choose 4 minutes (High Pressure). When cook time has ended, let the pot rest undisturbed for 3 minutes, then do a controlled Quick Release.
  9. When the pin in the lid has dropped down, carefully open the lid, facing away from you, and stir the contents.
  10. Use a potato masher to carefully mash some or all of the potatoes, as desired.
  11. Turn the Sauté function back on, and use the Lowest setting (on the IP is called Less).
  12. Add the clams and the half and half. Let the chowder heat through, but try not to boil it.
  13. If you want it thicker, you can thicken it with potato or corn starch mixed with some of the half and half, mixed well, and stir it in.
  14. Turn off the pot and garnish the clam chowder with chopped chives, and serve with crackers or some nice bread or rolls.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Costco sells Boudins clam chowder, and it doesn't come in a can....and usually very good.

clamchowder2.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is it you like about this clam chowder, and where do you get it?
When we was in Seattle we tried a couple of clam chowder restaurants and it was so, so , then after we return home my SIL air mailed some from Pike Place these have more of a clam taste. A friend of mine just returned from Seattle so I asked her to pick up a few quarts on her way back.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i like legal seafoods clam chowder. D895D5CD-AB08-4251-818B-0C7C282EC1EE.png

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i like legal seafoods clam chowder. D895D5CD-AB08-4251-818B-0C7C282EC1EE.png

I was just going to say Legal Seafood's but I've only had it at the restaurants. I didn't know that they actually sold it packaged anywhere. The airport in Boston has a Legal's and back when I was flying a lot I always had some before my flight.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yum. One of our local restaurants here makes VERY good CC. I'll have to search some of these premade recommendation here...as usually make my own.

cheers--Sharon

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
I like Manhattan style, haven't found a canned brand I like

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, there are many times I wished we lived closer. This is one of those times! :lickout:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
so how was it? looks good.

It was good!
I googled a recipe while I was in the grocery store, and bought the ingredients.
It called for two cans of clams, but next time, I will use three.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, there are many times I wished we lived closer. This is one of those times! :lickout:

Come on over, sister! There's plenty!
I know you are a good cook! bet your family would love some homemade clam chowder...Gluten free, of course!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Come on over, sister! There's plenty!
I know you are a good cook! bet your family would love some homemade clam chowder...Gluten free, of course!

They would love it but they would be on their own and I would be on the first train out! Yes, a train because I don’t fly.

It looks really good, I have never made homemade chowder but might need to snatch that recipe for when it’s not 100 degrees here :twisted2:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite clam chowder is the kind I make. It's really easy.

Fry together on medium heat until onion is translucent:
• 2/5 of a 1 lb. package of bacon, chopped (note: It's easiest to chop bacon when it's only partially defrosted.)
• 1 small onion, chopped
Note:
If using center cut bacon, which has less fat than regular bacon, add a little butter to the pot for frying the onion.

Add to the pot:
• 3-4 10-oz. cans of whole baby clams with their juice (I use 4 cans. We like lots of clams.)
• 5-6 medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed or chopped
• just enough water to barely cover the potatoes. (If you add too much, the soup will be thin and watery. Err on the side of less water.)

Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.

Stir in 1 can of evaporated whole milk.
Heat the soup another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it reaches a good serving temperature-- but don't allow it to come to a boil.

Stir in 2 Tbs. butter, and add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve.

I must add that the soup tastes even better the next day, when the flavors have blended more fully. If you can make the soup one day ahead, do so. But it's also very tasty served immediately.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, just noooooo :shock:

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Dear Lord, please stop me from running out and buying all the baby clam cans out there coz now I want some clam chowder like yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!:eek2::eek2::eek2:

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Emm... btw, whats the best brand or baby clams? Does it matter? Asking for a friend.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've used different brands and they were all good. =) They're definitely more tender than regular canned, chopped clams.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I wanted to try making a lower carb version of my clam chowder so I substituted a small cauliflower, cut up, for the potatoes.
Cauliflower is mild flavored, and tender when cooked, like potatoes are. My family loved it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results