shape
carat
color
clarity

do you girls know how to change a flat tire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/19/2008 8:33:20 PM
Author: Miranda
Yup. Now, for me the question would be...Do I have the strength to get the nuts off? That answer is no. Especially after the tires have been balanced. The tire shops always put them on so tightly.

Yes, I can. And I''ve had to do it twice in my life. I always feel really awesome after I finish!

A trick that I found for getting the lug nuts off may work for others. Put the lug wrench on the nut and have the handle pointing to about the 2 or 3 o''clock position. Then, while balancing yourself against the car with your arms, stand on the wrench handle (even "jump" up and down a bit if necessary). Your body weight will usually provide enough force to loosen the lug nut!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Yup. Have done it three times.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I have watched others do it so I possibly could, but unless I really had to I wouldn''t last time I had a flat I called the FF and told him to come get me and change the tyre.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do know how but I wouldn''t. Jacks have always scared me. That''s why I''ve always belonged to AAA.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I do know how, but I haven''t done it in forever! I think I''d need a refresher before doing it on my own again. Now that I live with my Fiance, he does all the car stuff.

He could say the same thing about the laundry though, haha!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 5:54:44 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 7/19/2008 10:17:00 PM
Author: miraclesrule
Been there, done that. Actually, I wouldn''t have known how to change my friends tire for her if I hadn''t been paying attention to my StepDad when he changed mine. Thank gawd she has the same car I do, so I knew exactly where everything was and proceeded to put her spare on like I was a pro.

Now, I feel all manly.
10.gif

And DF....with my old ''69 Trans Am...I was able to remove, gap, and replace all 8 of my spark plugs
36.gif

When you are a single Mom, one learns how to become a handyman real fast.
yeah but....did the car start after your mini tune up?
rotflmao2.gif
Haha Funny man!! Oh yeah it started, with a nice loud muscle Varooooonmmmmm!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2008 11:35:02 AM

Date: 7/20/2008 5:54:44 AM

Date: 7/19/2008 10:17:00 PM
Been there, done that. Actually, I wouldn't have known how to change my friends tire for her if I hadn't been paying attention to my StepDad when he changed mine. Thank gawd she has the same car I do, so I knew exactly where everything was and proceeded to put her spare on like I was a pro.

Now, I feel all manly.
10.gif

And DF....with my old '69 Trans Am...I was able to remove, gap, and replace all 8 of my spark plugs
36.gif

When you are a single Mom, one learns how to become a handyman real fast.
yeah but....did the car start after your mini tune up?
rotflmao2.gif
Haha Funny man!! Oh yeah it started, with a nice loud muscle Varooooonmmmmm!!
25.gif
Good for you Micrules!
9.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely not! (And have no desire to learn) I know how to use a cell phone and that is all the peace of mind I need
3.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 1:55:45 AM
Author: hairgirl95
Yep, I grew up on a farm, and I have changed MANY tires. I seemed to have a for driving over curbs in high school and popped 3 tires doing that! I can also change oil and filter, change spark plugs/wires, jump start a battery, drive a manual transmission, drive a combine and tractor, and flush my anti-freeze. I got a great thrill picking on my ex-husband who didn't know a battery cable from a spark plug. I actually changed the plugs in his car. Pretty humbling for him I must say! My now husband is a car guru, and I have learned SO MUCH from him. I actually enjoy it! And I am a frou frou y . You would never guess I like to turn a wrench when you meet me. Props to all you other gals who have the mechanic gene too!!
35.gif
My husband says it makes us y.
31.gif

Hmmm... Sounds like we're neighbors! My youngest sis just started driving tractors, too. All of the sudden, guys are lining up around the bend!
As far as working on cars, my DH thinks it's sexy, too. And, I gotta admit, one of the reasons I jumped into working on cars was because of DH (then boyfriend) was all about his cars. He had a tricky Monte that was really tough to start. I jumped in, started it right up and went fishtailing down the gravel road, came up the other side and he jumped in. We've been together ever since.
And, I'm a girly girl , too! My dad used to laugh that I'd put lipgloss on to bail hay or butcher.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
LOL Shiny--you must be my long lost twin! I still remember my highschool bf sneaking over to the field when I was swathing for my dad to have a little make out session.
31.gif
He had a Monte too--and it was a little temperamental at times as well. That was actually the first car I changed oil on when I was 15. Ahhhh memories!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Yup. I can do points and plugs too and change my own oil. Luckily I don''t currently own a car, so I don''t have to do any of it! I consider tire changing one of those things-to-know-before-moving-out.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2008 8:26:01 PM
Author:Dancing Fire
if you had a flat in the middle of nowhere by yourself.

You know - - you remind me of a salesman at one of the dealerships I worked at. He decided he would have a 'clinic' for military wives about the basic mechanics of a vehicle. He made labels for the parts under the hood, and was going to ask the gals to identify these items. As I was walking across the showroom floor, he decided to 'make an example' of me to his sales buddies. "Holly, do you know what an alternator is?" I took the label, slapped it on the alternator, and said "Yes, I do. And you've misspelled it. It's not 'er', it's 'or'."

Get the message??
9.gif

And just 'cause I can, doesn't mean I will.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
My dad showed me how to change a tire and check all my fluids when I was a teenager. I'd call AAA to change a tire now, but I still check my fluids regularly. This came in handy when I got my oil changed one time and the guy tried to tell me that my brake fluid needed to be changed. I said, "Really...that's funny since it was fine when I checked it a week ago."
20.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
don''t worry girls if you get a flat on the freeway just show some LEGS
31.gif
i''m sure a guy will stop and change your tire.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 9:14:30 PM
don''t worry girls if you get a flat on the freeway just show some LEGS
31.gif
i''m sure a guy will stop and change your tire.

Now there is a MAN for ya!!!
9.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 9:14:30 PM
don't worry girls if you get a flat on the freeway just show some LEGS
31.gif
i'm sure a guy will stop and change your tire.

Thats all well and truly fine until the guy who stops has a gun (he was a security guard but still)
32.gif
, mind you we were not showing leg, just some rando stopped to help.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can change a tyre no probs, but recently DH and I were on our way home on a pretty deserted country road (I wasn''t even exactly sure where I was to be honest! DH was driving) and we blew a tyre. It was hot so I got out of the car and was on my mobile phone ringing friends to say we were running late for a function we had on that night, and I leaning against the back of the ute while DH changed the tyre. He wasn''t able to be seen from the road, and it looked as though I was alone, ringing for help regarding my flat tyre. A car with about 4 guys stopped on the other side of the road, and one stepped out of the car and looked my way. As soon as he saw DH he hopped back in the car and they took off. Now, I''m not really the gullible type, but I figured in good faith that they were planning to help me out and didn''t bother once they saw I was OK, but it did scare me... being miles from home on a country road... had I been alone... with a carload of blokes stopping... eek. DH demanded that if EVER that happens to me when I''m driving alone to sit in the car and wait for him to come and change my tyre, in case someone stops and kidnaps me, regardless of what time of night it is or where I am!! Not fun.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 5:16:37 AM
Author: DandiAndi
I can change a tyre no probs, but recently DH and I were on our way home on a pretty deserted country road (I wasn''t even exactly sure where I was to be honest! DH was driving) and we blew a tyre. It was hot so I got out of the car and was on my mobile phone ringing friends to say we were running late for a function we had on that night, and I leaning against the back of the ute while DH changed the tyre. He wasn''t able to be seen from the road, and it looked as though I was alone, ringing for help regarding my flat tyre. A car with about 4 guys stopped on the other side of the road, and one stepped out of the car and looked my way. As soon as he saw DH he hopped back in the car and they took off. Now, I''m not really the gullible type, but I figured in good faith that they were planning to help me out and didn''t bother once they saw I was OK, but it did scare me... being miles from home on a country road... had I been alone... with a carload of blokes stopping... eek. DH demanded that if EVER that happens to me when I''m driving alone to sit in the car and wait for him to come and change my tyre, in case someone stops and kidnaps me, regardless of what time of night it is or where I am!! Not fun.
Well, exactly. In this day and age, you are better and smarter to be as safe as possible. Forget that you can handle it yourself; there is safety in numbers, or at least in knowing that you''ve called a reliable service for help. Anything else makes you vulnerable and a target.

NEVER get out of your car or even roll down your window for a stranger who stops. Whether you need help or not. There aren''t that many dead spots that will affect your cell phone usage. Call someone.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2008 8:34:56 AM
Author: HollyS

Date: 7/21/2008 5:16:37 AM
Author: DandiAndi
Well, exactly. In this day and age, you are better and smarter to be as safe as possible. Forget that you can handle it yourself; there is safety in numbers, or at least in knowing that you''ve called a reliable service for help. Anything else makes you vulnerable and a target.

NEVER get out of your car or even roll down your window for a stranger who stops. Whether you need help or not. There aren''t that many dead spots that will affect your cell phone usage. Call someone.
I couldn''t agree with you more. I didn''t think too much of it at the time, but it chills me thinking back on it now that''s I''ve had time to dwell on it.

Ugh *shudder*

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I fully trust my abilities to call AAA.

However, if I was in the middle of nowhere with zero cell service I could probably figure it out on my own. I''ve seen it done a time or two.

(but everytime I''m in the country at night I get that damn song from "Deliverance" stuck in my head....)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I realize I live in the Midwest (usually labeled "the middle of nowhere"), but I''m only 40 minutes from a major city. AND, my cell phone has no reception for about 20 miles along the main highway on the outside of town.

I get it that most of the time you can call someone. I get it that a flat on a vehicle is not all that common. BUT, I think as independent, well-educated, "with it" women, we should all be able to change a dang tire.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I can, and have.

I''ve done my fair share of car maintenance/modification in the past, but luckily had the help of airtools to help loosen lugs. I''ve swapped out front and rear suspension, changed brake pads, and installed front and back rotors on a variety of cars, can change my own oil, etc. I started reading the instructions as to how to change a timing belt/chain on a VW/Audi, and quickly called my mechanice for an appointment. I draw the line at disassembling my entire front clip in my own garage.

I was a card carrying member of the SCCA in NV, and raced with the PCA in both NV and TX.

I''m thinking of getting into SCCA Rallye now, but can''t quite justify the possible risk of our STI just to have a little (uninsured) fun on some dirt roads.
3.gif

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
My dad made it seriously important to all of us (his daughters) that if you own a car, you should know how to take care of it so you don''t get taken by a mechanic. So since childhood I''ve learned:

to change a tire, fan belts, alternator, wheels, spark plugs, carberators, pistons, radiator, fuel filters, oil filters, brakes, rotors and mufflers/exhaust pipe. Transmissions are too difficult. I got good practice since I drove an old car.

Husband, on the other hand, is like my mom; knows nothing about a car except how to put gas in.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
So DF . . . did you think we were just a bunch of silly fluffy girls who knew zip about real life?

Most of us have an education that went beyond HS.
Most of us are in a professional field.
Most of us were on our own and quite independent before marriage.
Most of us don''t view our marriage as the guy taking care of us; we are equal partners.

I know you like to get a rise out of us; it''s the motivation behind most of your posts. And for the most part, we''ve been not only tolerant, but amused at your ''pokes''. But you really need to rethink the whole macho man crapola. It''s becoming a bit of a bore.

And, please, for once, don''t respond with some snappy little one liner that, you think, proves your superiority. Okay?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 8:42:36 AM
Author: HollyS
So DF . . . did you think we were just a bunch of silly fluffy girls who knew zip about real life?

Most of us have an education that went beyond HS.
Most of us are in a professional field.
Most of us were on our own and quite independent before marriage.
Most of us don''t view our marriage as the guy taking care of us; we are equal partners.

I know you like to get a rise out of us; it''s the motivation behind most of your posts. And for the most part, we''ve been not only tolerant, but amused at your ''pokes''. But you really need to rethink the whole macho man crapola. It''s becoming a bit of a bore.

And, please, for once, don''t respond with some snappy little one liner that, you think, proves your superiority. Okay?
Ohhh snap!!!
36.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire,

Please continue your posts just as they are. I for one love reading them. As I said before, you make me laugh. I enjoy your personality. In fact, my DH has a fantastic personality and that one trait of his, is what attracted me to him.

I get the biggest kick out of you and wish I knew you in real live. Well...maybe some day you and you wife and DH and I could have dinner. After all, you only live one hour away from us. I know you and DH would hit it off.

Again, Please continue just as you are
9.gif
36.gif
We love you here on PS.

Your biggest fan,
Linda

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Two things my father taught me when I started to drive: change a tire and drive a manual transmission (stick shift)--good at both, I might add.

I haven''t yet had the need to change my own tire...BUT I guess the point was IF I ever needed to, I''d know how!

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I can, and have before..many times... but my FF now told me to "forget" how to change a tire because he says thats his job...hehehe

Beth

Shiny_Rock
Some cars have self repairing tires.
emsmileo.gif

I could figure it out in a bind but whether or not I would physically be able to do it is a different story.

Linda, I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Okay, now look . . . . do I have to explain that this is ''payback'' to DF? That I thought I would turn the tables on him and have a bit of a joke at his expense? Essentially, I atempted to ''punk'' him?
20.gif

DF, you dish it so well, I assumed you could take it. Come on back and prove me right.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results