shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you expect you'll watch King Charles III's coronation May 6?

Do you expect you'll watch King Charles III's coronation May 6?

• Absolutely Yes!

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Probably

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Maybe. yes maybe no

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Probably not

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Absolutely Not!

Votes: 22 22.4%

• Total voters

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Harry - in his Dior suit. Dior made sure they posted they made/provided his suit. Why? Feels commercial to me, like the Met Gala.
He didn't bow to the new King. He didn't sing the anthem.
Why be there Harry? Announcing his new connection with Dior???
Obviously not a fan, haha

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The music was fantastic! And it was delightful to see the Wales' children---all so adorable!

You are right @kenny , Charles & the Archbishop of Canterbury should have memorized at least the most important bits of the ceremony because visibly reading them does make it look less sincere.

I wish the dress code had been more formal because there were not nearly enough jewels & we didn't even get to see fabulous gowns. The robes and whatnot were neat to see but at least give the royal ladies tiaras. Just my 2 cents. ;-) (What better time to break out the bling than the crowning of a monarch???)

Congratulations to all those in the UK & the Commonwealth on your new King!

I think Charles & Camilla had made it very clear they wanted to downplay the ceremony as much as was humanly possible under the circumstances, given the cost of living crisis here in the UK at the moment as a result of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Camilla refused to have a new crown made & reused an older one, fabrics & clothing were made from recycled cloth.

Our country is currently hosting tens of thousands of Ukraine women & children whilst their husbands fight. Next week we will host the Eurovision Song Contest on their behalf. I have 2 Ukranian children staying in my village. It is not lost on the British people that for many, times are very hard & I believe the attendees were instructed to down play the jewels & be less showy under the circumstances. Nobody wants to see gloating & glut right now, Coronation or not.

But…. Damn!! Would have LOVED to see Queen Maxima in all her sparkly glory!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
L
IMG_5698.png

This was the star of the show. Sadly, on Camilla and not on Diana, and I can’t help but wonder if she would actually be there had not Camilla destroyed her marriage. For all the hatred against Meghan, no one focuses on this immoral woman who slept her way up to the throne.

This is a truly vile comment!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harry - in his Dior suit. Dior made sure they posted they made/provided his suit. Why? Feels commercial to me, like the Met Gala.

wasnt Princess Anne's hat feather just spot on !

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The world has changed so much between 1953 when Elizabeth II was crowned and today. I didn't watch the event but looked at the photos and it seemed wrong to me for reasons I can't accurately articulate except to say that I think the British monarchy became irrelevant the day Elizabeth died. I hope Charles is able to make significant environmental contributions to the UK as well as set standards for the rest of the world. As for Camilla, meh. Her crowning achievement today was that she managed to make the crown jewels look frumpy.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shall always remember where I was, what I was doing, on the day of the coronation.

I got quite emotional at one point, when the screens were brought out with Zadok The Priest being played in the background.

It is one of the best piece of music ever written IMHO.

I guess it is like Marmite - either one likes it, or hates it.

No prize in guessing which camp I belong.

DK :kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I shall always remember where I was, what I was doing, on the day of the coronation.

I got quite emotional at one point, when the screens were brought out with Zadok The Priest being played in the background.

It is one of the best piece of music ever written IMHO.

I guess it is like Marmite - either one likes it, or hates it.

No prize in guessing which camp I belong.

DK :kiss2:

it was just pure unadutateted splender and glory on every level
(never thought id say this but tiaras arnt everything)
i just feel on cloud 9
imangine what the King feels like (possible tired)
it was 1000 years of history
pity the Euros and their registery office crownings

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
because HM is our King Too
1683415415312.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Merching

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Di should have been there.
She's rolling over in her grave, clenching her teeth. :angryfire:

Imagine her as queen. :kiss2:

Queen Mary is spinning in her grave too, especially since her crown is being used.

Diana was there through William, and his wife wore her earrings and her ring.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you telling me that you think Camilla is worthy of the crown? When Harry himself called her a wicked step mother?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't all of the royal jewels belong to the 'firm' itself (or is it the monarch (during their lifetime or reign)) and not to any individual who got to wear them, or even the individual who commissioned it, or received it as a gift?

I thought it is all the property of the 'firm', but the reigning monarch him/herself/theyself :roll: has exclusive say over who gets to wear what?

And is there some tradition, custom, rule, or law stating when one royal wears a particular item it cannot be worn by any other individual for 1, 2, or more generations?

Everybody must die of course, but the gems live on.

BTW, I could not find a pic of Di wearing the necklace that Camilla wore today, and HM QE 2 wore for her coronation in 1953.

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Di should have been there.
She's rolling over in her grave, clenching her teeth. :angryfire:

Imagine her as queen. :kiss2:

Queen Mary is spinning in her grave too, especially since her crown is being used.
Diana was there through William, and his wife wore her earrings and her ring.

Charles's oft mentioned jealousy of Diana's popularity would have continued to make their relationship contentious and their marriage miserable regardless of Camilla's presence as sidepiece. Camilla is content to let Charles be the center of attention and Charles likes it that way. I found it fitting that Camilla staggered under the weight of the crown as she wobbled around the Abbey.

Imo, it would have been better overall for the monarchy had Charles given up his position as heir to the throne and gone off and married Camilla and led a life of contentment with her. It would have avoided much tragedy and negative notoriety. I think Anne would make a better queen than Charles a king.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe Queen Elizabeth held on to the throne until the end so Camilla and Charles would not enjoy their reign while she was still alive and thereby reducing the amount of time they are adored by their loyal subjects.

I kept thinking how feeble both of them looked under their crowns. And how anyone at that age could withhold their ability to pee for so long. Bc I sure could not.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe Queen Elizabeth held on to the throne until the end so Camilla and Charles would not enjoy their reign while she was still alive and thereby reducing the amount of time they are adored by their loyal subjects.

I kept thinking how feeble both of them looked under their crowns. And how anyone at that age could withhold their ability to pee for so long. Bc I sure could not.

I find your comments offensive, regardless of who you are talking about.

Whilst I adored the Queen & I am happy to let the monarchy bumble on (they do far more good than you obviously realise being in the US, including Camilla, who is now fully admired here for her unfaltering dedication to her new position upon her marriage) I am by no means a Staunch Roylaist.

So I shall bow out of this thread because it’s becoming quite sour. Instead I shall go & help set up & look forward to my Village’s street party this afternoon.

And @kenny is right - Diana never wore that necklace & I’d love to see the picture you are referring to. It has only ever been worn by Queens.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Camilla, who is now fully admired here
I don't think this is true, plenty of British people intensely dislike Camilla and her role in everything that happened with Diana, and plenty of people feel Charles should never have been allowed to marry her.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think this is true, plenty of British people intensely dislike Camilla and her role in everything that happened with Diana, and plenty of people feel Charles should never have been allowed to marry her.

Why shouldn’t he have been allowed to marry her? We are all free to marry whomever we choose & they shouldn’t be any different. If perhaps they had done away with some antiquated rules & modernised earlier, he could have married her in the first place, instead of having a suitable aristocratic 18 year old virgin, that he never truly loved in the way he should have, sourced for him.

We can’t change the past, but we can learn from it & move forwards, which is exactly what the Queen started to implement over the last years of her life.

Time stands still for no man. Gotta roll with the punches.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't all of the royal jewels belong to the 'firm' itself (or is it the monarch (during their lifetime or reign)) and not to any individual who got to wear them, or even the individual who commissioned it, or received it as a gift?

I thought it is all the property of the 'firm', but the reigning monarch him/herself/theyself :roll: has exclusive say over who gets to wear what?

And is there some tradition, custom, rule, or law stating when one royal wears a particular item it cannot be worn by any other individual for 1, 2, or more generations?

Everybody must die of course, but the gems live on.

BTW, I could not find a pic of Di wearing the necklace that Camilla wore today, and HM QE 2 wore for her coronation in 1953.

it depends
and different royal families have different ways - some have royal jewlery foundations
the Swedish royals are great at shearing amoungst them selves

in our royal family (BRF)
some jewlery passes from monarch to monarch
some is on a lifetime laon from the monach and may have to be returned in a divorce like Queen Mary's lovers knot tiara as worn by Diana and now by Catherine
some like the Albert saphire brooch is a designated heirloom of the crown and stays with the crown forever
some is personal property
the crown jewles are different again and belong to the state

in the months and year ahead when we start seeing the late Queen's jewlery being worn by other family members we may get a better idea of what was personal property
Anne is the only daughter

im worried about the brooch collection being broken up
but then i surpose im more worreid about the brooches not being worn

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A terrible family not to be celebrated. The king and his side piece in a golden carriage? Lol

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t watch it, but I was disgusted to see prince pedo honoured with ceremonial robes. People want to trash Harry for wearing a suit but no comment about the pedophile sitting a few seats down?

Apparently most Canadians don’t want him as our sovereign, or any monarch. And I say good riddance to him.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I still wonder what the heck Harry was thinking when he was packing his bags.

Well... what was he supposed to do? Not attend his father's coronation? What would've people said then? Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Besides, he may not be a working royal anymore, but he's still family. It seems to me his presence was handled quite tactfully. He was there, so no one can say he didn't pay respects to his father, but he wasn't in any way the centre of attention or stirring up drama.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
I think Charles & Camilla had made it very clear they wanted to downplay the ceremony as much as was humanly possible under the circumstances, given the cost of living crisis here in the UK at the moment as a result of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Camilla refused to have a new crown made & reused an older one, fabrics & clothing were made from recycled cloth.

Our country is currently hosting tens of thousands of Ukraine women & children whilst their husbands fight. Next week we will host the Eurovision Song Contest on their behalf. I have 2 Ukranian children staying in my village. It is not lost on the British people that for many, times are very hard & I believe the attendees were instructed to down play the jewels & be less showy under the circumstances. Nobody wants to see gloating & glut right now, Coronation or not.

But…. Damn!! Would have LOVED to see Queen Maxima in all her sparkly glory!

I did know Charles was planning a scaled-back event due to the difficult circumstances in the UK, especially as it was planned throughout winter but I was just selfishly wishing for gowns & jewels. ;-) (Or even just a tiara moment for Catherine---maybe wearing one she doesn't typically wear!)

It was wonderful to see the scepter and the sword and the orb---I LOVE the orb and scepter! I want my own scepter to just carry around my house. :D

How adorable was Princess Charlotte?!? She was SO adorable with her silvery headpiece! It was also so neat to see George behind his grandfather. Future King helping current King.

I hope you have a great time at your Big Lunch today, Ally! Those look so fun! Wishing all of you in the UK and the rest of the Commonwealth a continued lovely weekend.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results