shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you expect you'll watch King Charles III's coronation May 6?

Do you expect you'll watch King Charles III's coronation May 6?

• Absolutely Yes!

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Probably

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Maybe. yes maybe no

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Probably not

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Absolutely Not!

Votes: 22 22.4%

• Total voters

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
it depends
and different royal families have different ways - some have royal jewlery foundations
the Swedish royals are great at shearing amoungst them selves

in our royal family (BRF)
some jewlery passes from monarch to monarch
some is on a lifetime laon from the monach and may have to be returned in a divorce like Queen Mary's lovers knot tiara as worn by Diana and now by Catherine
some like the Albert saphire brooch is a designated heirloom of the crown and stays with the crown forever
some is personal property
the crown jewles are different again and belong to the state

in the months and year ahead when we start seeing the late Queen's jewlery being worn by other family members we may get a better idea of what was personal property
Anne is the only daughter

im worried about the brooch collection being broken up
but then i surpose im more worreid about the brooches not being worn

Oh Daisy, I am also SO worried that the beautiful brooches will not be worn! I so hope to see the royal ladies wearing them soon---I really want that part of The Queen to live on. (I know she's no longer actually the queen but I am not yet ready to call her anything else.)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe Queen Elizabeth held on to the throne until the end so Camilla and Charles would not enjoy their reign while she was still alive and thereby reducing the amount of time they are adored by their loyal subjects.

I kept thinking how feeble both of them looked under their crowns. And how anyone at that age could withhold their ability to pee for so long. Bc I sure could not.

Omg!! I thought I was the only one that noticed!! That crown looked too “big” literally and figuratively, for the man wearing it. I kept imagining how regal William would have looked in it with his beautiful wife by his side.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
How?? There is a thread devoted to trashing Meghan for being the victim of racism! But the fact that I call Camilla a homewrecker who indirectly led Di to her demise is vile? Ok.

Charles contributed as much if not more to the demise of that marriage. It comes across as a bit sexist to just call out the woman in the scenario imho. I agree with you regarding Meghan btw.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charles contributed as much if not more to the demise of that marriage. It comes across as a bit sexist to just call out the woman in the scenario imho. I agree with you regarding Meghan btw.

I never said that Charles was blameless. I focused on Camilla bc she is the outsider, like Meghan. I figure most loyal royalists find no fault with their king or “how the firm procured him the virgin.” I was just exposing the hypocrisy of how they treat the outsider women. So save your sexist accusations for the take-down-meghan-thread.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well... what was he supposed to do? Not attend his father's coronation? What would've people said then? Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Besides, he may not be a working royal anymore, but he's still family. It seems to me his presence was handled quite tactfully. He was there, so no one can say he didn't pay respects to his father, but he wasn't in any way the centre of attention or stirring up drama.

You misunderstand me. (Sorry, my bad choice of words!)
I was referring to the fact that he left the royal family and moved away. I feel like it was his duty to stay and support his father.
Of course he had to come to his father's coronation.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, just couldn't resist... :lol-2:

Meghan Markle is Being Accused of Attending King Charles Coronation in Disguise
AA1aRtI6.img

Last edited:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, the royal family is close to politics in many places, please don’t make us close this thread. Stop insulting people.

HGar

Shiny_Rock
People really need to move on from crying over Princess Diana. Yep I adored her and can remember being so sad when she passed but they divorced! She was never going to be Queen - never, once the divorce was final she was out. Plus remember she had numerous affairs - it was not only King Charles. Charles should have been allowed to marry Camilla from the get go, then possibly no one would be hung up on the Sainthood of Diana. She was a human being and was just as flawed and at fault as Charles / Camilla. I wish that she had survived so that she could be part of her children’s lives but she wouldn’t have been of any major part in the royal family structure. Everyone needs to let her rest in peace for crying out loud.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She was never going to be Queen - never,

I don't understand this. She would have been Queen Consort if they hadn't divorced. So that isn't "never". It was only never after the divorce.

HGar

Shiny_Rock
I understand hindsight is a wonderful thing but they separated in 1992 although the divorce wasn’t finalised until 1996. Therefore from 1992 it was apparent Diana would never be Queen. To harp on that she would have been Queen, that she would have been a “better” Queen is simply nuts. They were married for 11 years then split - he has been married to Camilla since 2005, more years than Diana. Camilla is just as deserving of the role of Queen Consort.

As I get older I simply cannot stand the vitriol aimed at Camilla when all parties - Charles, Diana, Camilla, Andrew Parker Bowles plus the men who had affairs with Diana are complicit in the marriages all ending. Diana was no saint and definitely not perfect - I do not think that even her family would hold her up on that pedestal.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I understand hindsight is a wonderful thing but they separated in 1992 although the divorce wasn’t finalised until 1996. Therefore from 1992 it was apparent Diana would never be Queen. To harp on that she would have been Queen, that she would have been a “better” Queen is simply nuts. They were married for 11 years then split - he has been married to Camilla since 2005, more years than Diana. Camilla is just as deserving of the role of Queen Consort.

As I get older I simply cannot stand the vitriol aimed at Camilla when all parties - Charles, Diana, Camilla, Andrew Parker Bowles plus the men who had affairs with Diana are complicit in the marriages all ending. Diana was no saint and definitely not perfect - I do not think that even her family would hold her up on that pedestal.

i think about a different happy parallel universe where Diana wore her seatbelt and would have gone on to marry someoen else as have Charles and Cam

that last year of her life Charles and Diana sorted stuff out between them and became friends, i actually remember them together at one of William's school functions and they greated each other warmly

Mr Parker Bowles was at the corination, perhaps Diaan would have been as she was always going to be Prince William's (and Harry's) mother

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leaving this thread as I found some of the comments offensive.

DK :(

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too!!! She was fabulous!

I did too! And did you notice how she didn’t curtesy when she handed King Charles the sword? I guess her office - whatever it is, I believe she was referred to as a “lord” - allows her to get away with bowing rather than curtsying!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did too! And did you notice how she didn’t curtesy when she handed King Charles the sword? I guess her office - whatever it is, I believe she was referred to as a “lord” - allows her to get away with bowing rather than curtsying!

There are no genders anymore, or they're all the same, or all equal, or all canceled, or all something.

giphy-1070739991.gif

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was never a fan of Camilla, I felt she should’ve bowed out when Charles married Diana. HOWEVER, it’s pretty obvious that they were ill matched from the word go, and I don’t think even if Camilla had been out of the picture, that the marriage would’ve lasted. Charles simply didn’t love Diana to ensure a lasting marriage. What I think is pretty obvious, is that Charles and Camilla are very happy together and well suited.

By all accounts, Camilla has dedicated her life since marrying Charles, to the charities that’s she’s Patron of. Whatever anyone else thinks, there are lots of charities that simply wouldn’t get the exposure they do without royal patronage, so they do have a purpose, even if you don’t agree with it.

I enjoyed watching the Coronation, and feel proud to be British.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The world has changed so much between 1953 when Elizabeth II was crowned and today. I didn't watch the event but looked at the photos and it seemed wrong to me for reasons I can't accurately articulate except to say that I think the British monarchy became irrelevant the day Elizabeth died. I hope Charles is able to make significant environmental contributions to the UK as well as set standards for the rest of the world. As for Camilla, meh. Her crowning achievement today was that she managed to make the crown jewels look frumpy.

My mother is 95 and says that the blandness of Charles' coronation was truly a sad show compared to all the excitement and optimism of Elizabeth II. I thought both Charles and Camilla looked old, frail, fatigued, and disinterested. Couldn't they could have at least tried to fake a little joy and enthusiasm for those few hours.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wanted to watch this on demand somewhere since I missed most of it due to the early hour. But I haven't found any broadcast that doesn't require a payment. Is there a free repeat online someplace? CNN on-demand had an entry labeled Coronation, but when I clicked it it was about 15 ads and then news clips about the Texas shootings, etc. :x2

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to watch this on demand somewhere since I missed most of it due to the early hour. But I haven't found any broadcast that doesn't require a payment. Is there a free repeat online someplace? CNN on-demand had an entry labeled Coronation, but when I clicked it it was about 15 ads and then news clips about the Texas shootings, etc. :x2

BBC broadcasted the whole thing live on youtube. Just go to youtube.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

did you find it yet ?
i hope you enjoy it
i thought it was the best most spectacular thing i have ever seen (I am 51)
i could not sleep afterwards just from an overload pure joy and happiness

there will be plenty of other you tube videos of it

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AdaBeta27, Hopefully CNN will correct this. CNN did air the Coronation ceremony much later that evening. It was listed as something else on the CNN schedule that evening due to the interrupted news coverage of the shooting tragedy in Allen, Texas. I’m surprised CNN hasn‘t corrected this for those wanting to view the Coronation.

We enjoyed watching the Coronation too @Daisys and Diamonds.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
With this being a jewelry group, I thought you all might be interested in this: https://za.investing.com/magazine/royal-jewels/

It mentions the necklace and the crown that Camilla wore at Charles' coronation.

Unfortunately, I don't have warm feelings about Camilla. Charles deciding to continue to carry on an extra martial affair with Camilla (while married to Diana) was wrong. I do remember the scandals from the 90’s. Anyhow, somehow, Camilla now becoming queen does not seem quite right.

When Charles was finally able to marry Camilla, the word "queen" was not planned to ever be part of Camilla's title. A previous statement made by the royal household in 2005 that said Camilla's title would change to "princess consort" when Charles became king. This edict remained for the next 17 or so years.

It only changed in 2022 during the Platinum Jubilee when Queen Elizabeth's had a change of mind as her own life was winding down. This is all is part of the history & why it now seems strange to me that Camilla (a vessel of royal scandal) has become queen after all.

King Edward VIII abdicated the throne, so that he (Edward) could marry the woman who he really loved: the American divorcee Wallice Simpson. That changed history. Rather than marrying Diana & keeping Camilla as a mistress, Charles also had the same option; providing Camilla was also free to marry. He had 3 siblings for the bloodlines & the monarchy to continue on. However, that’s no longer here or there & doesn’t take away from Charles now being King.

Anyhow, despite a sad situation that involved Diana,
Charles finally has gotten just what he wanted: both Camilla at his side and to be king. He was born to be king. From the outside, Camilla and Charles now look like they really belong together. Camilla definitely looked exceptionally happy when she was crowned queen on Saturday. Rightfully so. Twenty years ago, this would have not been possible. Even 2 years ago, it wouldn’t have been possible.

Surprising to me, both Charles & Camilla now also both look so very old; plus, even surprisingly frail for their age… But perhaps that’s because I haven’t seen them on a daily basis while they have aged.

As for all the controversy about Harry, he is no longer a "working royal" by choice. His devotion obviously currently lays with his wife, whether others like her or not. I can understand this. He may be of royal birth, but he still has the right to live his own life as he chooses. Admittedly, both Harry and Megan are ultra-privileged far beyond the average person. So, they exist in a different “world” than most of the rest of us. But underneath all of that, they are still just people. On a human-to-human level, I can understand how Harry can love Megan (an American who doesn’t fit into what is required of the working royals). I can understand why he has selected to put his wife and their children above what is generally expected from those born into the royal family. And why he wants the paparazzi to leave him alone. But I’m just an American…

I’m glad Harry went to the coronation and honored his father. It was a shame that Princess Anne’s big feather blocked his view. Anne wore a wonderful outfit, but the huge feather was a distraction for those seated behind her. However, if Harry didn’t mind, I guess that didn’t matter. It was a wise decision for Megan not to accompany Harry to the coronation. This was Charles’ big day, and Charles didn’t need attention taken away from him by the tabloids obsessed with Megan.

As for the suit controversary, Harry was specifically requested by the royal family not to wear his military uniform. It's been reported that Charles himself requested Harry wear a suit, and Harry didn't object. Although not British designed (which would have been nice for this occasion), his outfit was tasteful. Harry wore his earned British medals. He looked good and was respectful. He was not attending the coronation as a working royal.

Meanwhile, Jill Biden is also being severely criticized by many in the US about what she chose to wear to the event. Frankly, neither one's outfit was of importance. It was Charles' day. I was mainly interested in seeing what he wore. Charles' historic ermine robes were mesmerizing. Charles looked like a king in his outfit choices.

I found it interesting that Andrew Parker Bowles (Camille's ex husband) was among the invited guests at the coronation. And that disgraced Prince Andrew (sitting in the same row as Harry) came in royal attire. Missing was Charles Spencer (Princess Diana’s brother who swore to help protect royal princes William and Harry throughout their lives). Charles Spencer had been present for special royal occasions such as Prince William and Prince Harry’s weddings and Queen Elizabeth’s committal service. But again, I don't know who's "in" and who's "out" in a country that isn't mine.

Harry was never expected to kneel and pay homage to Charles during the coronation ceremony - as William did. William will become the next king after his father. William represented the entire royal family in paying personal homage to Charles. That was Charles’ direct wish for his scaled down coronation. This was not a good son/bad son situation. It was merely part of the scripted program.

Nevertheless, Harry was seen in the television footage watching intently as the archbishop raised St Edward’s Crown above his father’s head before crowning him. And when a few minutes later the congregation paid homage to the new monarch, Harry was seen, along with the other royals around him, speaking the words: “God save King Charles. Long live King Charles. May the King live forever.”

Despite there currently being some sort of dysfunctional family situation going between Harry and his brother William (plus between Harry and his stepmother Camilla) Harry obviously still cares very much about his father. That is what is most meaningful in that entire mess.

With all of the above being said, I didn't originally expect to go out of my way to watch the coronation. It was the middle of the night where I live while it was happening live. Originally, I had figured that I'd just later catch the highlights on the regular news.

However, when I tuned on the news (for a quick look) before going to bed, the procession to Westminster Abby was underway. Finding it captivating, I then ended up staying up most of the night watching the live ceremony of all of the coronation inside the Westminster. It was living history and fascinating, whether part of the Commonwealth or not.

The music was beautiful beyond belief. All of it. I can't say enough positive things about the music. The inclusion of other faiths (and more women), as part of the ceremony, was the cherry on top that gave the coronation ritual a more modern feel. Otherwise, (without looking at any of the audience) one could almost feel transformed back to historic times when other British monarchs were long ago also crowned at Westminster Abby. Although I had started out feeling relatively indifferent, it ended up as a treat to watch the coronation. It was history being made once again.

Beyond not being thrilled about Camilla being crowned queen, the only part of the church service that I didn't care for was Charles reading a cue card to recite his vows. Although the entire ceremony was obviously scripted (by necessity), Charles reading from cards put in front of him was a bit too scripted and had a subtle taste of "acting" rather than "feeling". But maybe reading the cards was necessary to assure that everything would go smoothly & prevent an accidental misstep. It was a minor thing.

Later in the day, I watched on C-Span, the parts of the coronation (after the church service) that I had missed seeing live. I can well understand why this was such a big deal to those who love the monarchy. It was an amazing event.

My favorite parts were seeing the enthusiasm on the part of the crowd of everyday people attending in person; plus, the red, white & blue flyover (in the hazy sky) at the very end. And all of the beautiful music.

It was a truly memorable coronation day that will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime event for many to ever witness. Even for an American, it was well worth watching. I'm glad I watched most of this coronation live and also then got to see the rest later. I'd watch it all over again on reruns if given the chance. It was a beautiful ceremony PLUS it was historical.

All of the people in Great Britain and the Commonwealth had a reason to celebrate. The crowning of a new king was a continuation of their history and of tradition. It was a time to come together.

If Charles' coronation was "scaled down", I can hardly imagine how lavish such coronations once were. If history interests you at all, do watch Charles’ coronation for yourself whenever it might be rerun again. Some are now saying that it could be the last of its kind in the modern world. A lot will depend on what William wants when his turn comes.

I would love to see historic film footage of Queen Elizabeth’s televised larger coronation. I’ve only seen stills. Her coronation did seem like a much larger, more formal event. Elizabeth became Queen far before my time. My parents have said they didn’t watch her coronation on TV and thus couldn’t compare it to son Charles’. Of course, TV was in its early years back then, and a live feed to the US was not yet possible. I’m not sure if Americans ever got to see the entire coronation of Queen Elizabeth or not. Nevertheless, some did get to watch at least some (maybe all) of it via a taped delay.

For those looking to see a rerun of Charles’ coronation, I would look at CNN weekend “specials” line up. I saw the first half (the journey to Westminster Abby & the church service) live on CNN. They were supposed to rerun the entire event later in the evening. However, still another American mass shooting required CNN to follow breaking news during the evening time slot that had been reserved for re-airing the coronation. I then turned to PBS, but they also weren’t running the coronation. Surprising C-Span was. That’s where I saw the final part of the coronation. But due to its format, I doubt C-Span will air it again… Nevertheless, another network will undoubtedly replay the entire event at some time in the future. Maybe the history channel… It was historical.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With this being a jewelry group, I thought you all might be interested in this: https://za.investing.com/magazine/royal-jewels/

It mentions the necklace and the crown that Camilla wore at Charles' coronation.

Unfortunately, I don't have warm feelings about Camilla. Charles deciding to continue to carry on an extra martial affair with Camilla (while married to Diana) was wrong. I do remember the scandals from the 90’s. Anyhow, somehow, Camilla now becoming queen does not seem quite right.

When Charles was finally able to marry Camilla, the word "queen" was not planned to ever be part of Camilla's title. A previous statement made by the royal household in 2005 that said Camilla's title would change to "princess consort" when Charles became king. This edict remained for the next 17 or so years.

It only changed in 2022 during the Platinum Jubilee when Queen Elizabeth's had a change of mind as her own life was winding down. This is all is part of the history & why it now seems strange to me that Camilla (a vessel of royal scandal) has become queen after all.

King Edward VIII abdicated the throne, so that he (Edward) could marry the woman who he really loved: the American divorcee Wallice Simpson. That changed history. Rather than marrying Diana & keeping Camilla as a mistress, Charles also had the same option; providing Camilla was also free to marry. He had 3 siblings for the bloodlines & the monarchy to continue on. However, that’s no longer here or there & doesn’t take away from Charles now being King.

Anyhow, despite a sad situation that involved Diana,
Charles finally has gotten just what he wanted: both Camilla at his side and to be king. He was born to be king. From the outside, Camilla and Charles now look like they really belong together. Camilla definitely looked exceptionally happy when she was crowned queen on Saturday. Rightfully so. Twenty years ago, this would have not been possible. Even 2 years ago, it wouldn’t have been possible.

Surprising to me, both Charles & Camilla now also both look so very old; plus, even surprisingly frail for their age… But perhaps that’s because I haven’t seen them on a daily basis while they have aged.

As for all the controversy about Harry, he is no longer a "working royal" by choice. His devotion obviously currently lays with his wife, whether others like her or not. I can understand this. He may be of royal birth, but he still has the right to live his own life as he chooses. Admittedly, both Harry and Megan are ultra-privileged far beyond the average person. So, they exist in a different “world” than most of the rest of us. But underneath all of that, they are still just people. On a human-to-human level, I can understand how Harry can love Megan (an American who doesn’t fit into what is required of the working royals). I can understand why he has selected to put his wife and their children above what is generally expected from those born into the royal family. And why he wants the paparazzi to leave him alone. But I’m just an American…

I’m glad Harry went to the coronation and honored his father. It was a shame that Princess Anne’s big feather blocked his view. Anne wore a wonderful outfit, but the huge feather was a distraction for those seated behind her. However, if Harry didn’t mind, I guess that didn’t matter. It was a wise decision for Megan not to accompany Harry to the coronation. This was Charles’ big day, and Charles didn’t need attention taken away from him by the tabloids obsessed with Megan.

As for the suit controversary, Harry was specifically requested by the royal family not to wear his military uniform. It's been reported that Charles himself requested Harry wear a suit, and Harry didn't object. Although not British designed (which would have been nice for this occasion), his outfit was tasteful. Harry wore his earned British medals. He looked good and was respectful. He was not attending the coronation as a working royal.

Meanwhile, Jill Biden is also being severely criticized by many in the US about what she chose to wear to the event. Frankly, neither one's outfit was of importance. It was Charles' day. I was mainly interested in seeing what he wore. Charles' historic ermine robes were mesmerizing. Charles looked like a king in his outfit choices.

I found it interesting that Andrew Parker Bowles (Camille's ex husband) was among the invited guests at the coronation. And that disgraced Prince Andrew (sitting in the same row as Harry) came in royal attire. Missing was Charles Spencer (Princess Diana’s brother who swore to help protect royal princes William and Harry throughout their lives). Charles Spencer had been present for special royal occasions such as Prince William and Prince Harry’s weddings and Queen Elizabeth’s committal service. But again, I don't know who's "in" and who's "out" in a country that isn't mine.

Harry was never expected to kneel and pay homage to Charles during the coronation ceremony - as William did. William will become the next king after his father. William represented the entire royal family in paying personal homage to Charles. That was Charles’ direct wish for his scaled down coronation. This was not a good son/bad son situation. It was merely part of the scripted program.

Nevertheless, Harry was seen in the television footage watching intently as the archbishop raised St Edward’s Crown above his father’s head before crowning him. And when a few minutes later the congregation paid homage to the new monarch, Harry was seen, along with the other royals around him, speaking the words: “God save King Charles. Long live King Charles. May the King live forever.”

Despite there currently being some sort of dysfunctional family situation going between Harry and his brother William (plus between Harry and his stepmother Camilla) Harry obviously still cares very much about his father. That is what is most meaningful in that entire mess.

With all of the above being said, I didn't originally expect to go out of my way to watch the coronation. It was the middle of the night where I live while it was happening live. Originally, I had figured that I'd just later catch the highlights on the regular news.

However, when I tuned on the news (for a quick look) before going to bed, the procession to Westminster Abby was underway. Finding it captivating, I then ended up staying up most of the night watching the live ceremony of all of the coronation inside the Westminster. It was living history and fascinating, whether part of the Commonwealth or not.

The music was beautiful beyond belief. All of it. I can't say enough positive things about the music. The inclusion of other faiths (and more women), as part of the ceremony, was the cherry on top that gave the coronation ritual a more modern feel. Otherwise, (without looking at any of the audience) one could almost feel transformed back to historic times when other British monarchs were long ago also crowned at Westminster Abby. Although I had started out feeling relatively indifferent, it ended up as a treat to watch the coronation. It was history being made once again.

Beyond not being thrilled about Camilla being crowned queen, the only part of the church service that I didn't care for was Charles reading a cue card to recite his vows. Although the entire ceremony was obviously scripted (by necessity), Charles reading from cards put in front of him was a bit too scripted and had a subtle taste of "acting" rather than "feeling". But maybe reading the cards was necessary to assure that everything would go smoothly & prevent an accidental misstep. It was a minor thing.

Later in the day, I watched on C-Span, the parts of the coronation (after the church service) that I had missed seeing live. I can well understand why this was such a big deal to those who love the monarchy. It was an amazing event.

My favorite parts were seeing the enthusiasm on the part of the crowd of everyday people attending in person; plus, the red, white & blue flyover (in the hazy sky) at the very end. And all of the beautiful music.

It was a truly memorable coronation day that will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime event for many to ever witness. Even for an American, it was well worth watching. I'm glad I watched most of this coronation live and also then got to see the rest later. I'd watch it all over again on reruns if given the chance. It was a beautiful ceremony PLUS it was historical.

All of the people in Great Britain and the Commonwealth had a reason to celebrate. The crowning of a new king was a continuation of their history and of tradition. It was a time to come together.

If Charles' coronation was "scaled down", I can hardly imagine how lavish such coronations once were. If history interests you at all, do watch Charles’ coronation for yourself whenever it might be rerun again. Some are now saying that it could be the last of its kind in the modern world. A lot will depend on what William wants when his turn comes.

I would love to see historic film footage of Queen Elizabeth’s televised larger coronation. I’ve only seen stills. Her coronation did seem like a much larger, more formal event. Elizabeth became Queen far before my time. My parents have said they didn’t watch her coronation on TV and thus couldn’t compare it to son Charles’. Of course, TV was in its early years back then, and a live feed to the US was not yet possible. I’m not sure if Americans ever got to see the entire coronation of Queen Elizabeth or not. Nevertheless, some did get to watch at least some (maybe all) of it via a taped delay.

For those looking to see a rerun of Charles’ coronation, I would look at CNN weekend “specials” line up. I saw the first half (the journey to Westminster Abby & the church service) live on CNN. They were supposed to rerun the entire event later in the evening. However, still another American mass shooting required CNN to follow breaking news during the evening time slot that had been reserved for re-airing the coronation. I then turned to PBS, but they also weren’t running the coronation. Surprising C-Span was. That’s where I saw the final part of the coronation. But due to its format, I doubt C-Span will air it again… Nevertheless, another network will undoubtedly replay the entire event at some time in the future. Maybe the history channel… It was historical.

What a lovely, intelligent, thoughtful & well researched reply. I checked out of this post a while back due to it becoming quite offensive, but I’m glad I read this tonight.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Far from Camilla sleeping her way to the throne, I think Camilla and Charles are a true love story. They have only ever loved each other. It was very irresponsible of Charles to marry Diana given that they had so little in common and barely knew each other. Remember, Camilla was in a horrible marriage too.

Sally Bedell's book "Diana: In Search of Herself: A Troubled Princess" is an excellent well-researched, sober, and balanced look at Diana's life. Bedell is a serious and trustworthy journalist who spoke to many of Diana's inner circle. It seemed she had quite serious issues with her mental health going back to childhood, when she once went mute for a month, and not long after, wrote three hundred letters home in one month. It said that on their honeymoon, Diana sat in the living room with her head down form morning till night. Charles did try to get her help - he sent her to a psychiatrist. He's quite into therapy and talking to plants and stuff - more hippy than you'd expect.

Diana's struggles with her mental health were a real pity, and of course, not her fault. In the book, she says in an interview that she did take Prozac but only for a few days. There were other incidents too, like the 600 nuisance calls to Oliver Hoare's wife that were traced back to Kensington Palace. And she lied a lot...staff say that the incident of Diana throwing herself down stairs while pregnant with William never happened. Even Diana's grandmother called her a "dishonest and difficult girl."

I have empathy for Charles because I, too, was married to someone with severe mental-health issues....and boy, do they take it out on you. It's always the spouse they take it out on. The person closest to them. Charles's friends have said that Diana didn't love him, either. She didn't try to get to know his interests, like the natural world, or the authors he liked; she got rid of some of his staff and friends, and even banished his Labrador to live with a staff member.

I don't believe that Charles went back to Camilla until the marriage was so bad that it threatened to drown his mental health too. This is someone who cared deeply about the planet decades before it was fashionable, who has only ever loved one woman - despite many opportunities to be a player, thanks to his position - and talks to plants! I really don't think he would be so cruel as to have been with Camilla throughout his courting, engagement, wedding, and first years with Diana. I do not think he's as bad as everyone thinks! Friends of his say that Camilla saved him. There are photos of him on a trip to South Korea looking absolutely desperate, as if he's holding back tears. There were constant screaming matches and the stress of being so trapped in that marriage must have been awful. No heir to the throne had ever divorced since Henry VIII. It's commonly thought that he went back to C after about five years, and that Diana slept with somebody else first (Barry Mannakee).

Severe, untreated mental-health issues can wreak absolute havoc on a marriage. As me how I know!

I think that Camilla and Charles are a genuine love story and that they both simply married the wrong people, which is a tragedy. I think that Diana's poor mental health and the lack of effective treatment for it was an even greater tragedy. If only Charles had taken more time to know her better, he might have seen that they weren't a match. Bedell's book says that the royal family were annoyed because they knew that Diana experienced poor mental health and that they kept quiet about it, wanting a Spencer on the throne.

If anybody is interested in Diana, they should read Bedell's book. It's extremely fair and balanced on both sides.

Poor Diana. If only she had worn a seatbelt. If only she had had effective treatment for her challenges with mental health. If only she had said no to Charles. The entire story of Charles, Camilla, and Diana is a tragedy of epic proportions.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
As a Merkin, I don’t know much about the royals and only notice when something really big goes on with them.

That said, I can definitely see it not being all it’s cracked up to be. For ex, I can’t imagine having the entire world know about a whoopsie I’d made years ago and all feeling free to publicly weigh in on it for the rest of my life!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After visiting the royal palaces and treasury of the Austrian monarchy, instead of triggering my CS happiness, I was filled with sadness to think of all the suffering of the populace and other nations that provided funds, gold, silver and jewels to the royalty.

The palaces are excessive (hundreds of room for even the simplest things - waiting room for guests, meeting room for guests, sleeping room, dressing room, preparation room, etc). The decorations came from all over the world, the hand painted walls, gold furniture, trim, tableware, etc. Plants and flowers brought in from all over the world as well. The same goes for the gowns, robes, etc.

So I am glad that King Charles opted for a scaled down coronation to not burden the people more than necessary.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chrono, you're a mensch. :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results