shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you ever...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aggal06

Shiny_Rock
Do any of you ever think or plan out how you''re going to set your newly purchased stone before it''s even in your hands? All I''ve been doing today is looking at ring mounts and I don''t even have my stone yet lol. Maybe it''s because I''m excited because it''s my first stone purchase?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...We buy cribs before babies appear, don''t we? I did. So I see no reason why you should not look at mountings in anticipation of a new "baby".

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did it all the time-and I didn''t have a stone picked out. Browsing is fun!

aggal06

Shiny_Rock
Where do you guys usually find your settings at? I've looked at ebay but either I wasn't seeing too much that interested me or I was looking in the wrong place! I'm looking for a setting for that 5.77mm spinel Dan is sending to me but I'm still not sure what I want to do with it. A picture of it is on page 2 of this thread
Feel free to give me some ideas :)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/lavender-spinel.135606/page-2

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
All the time! Usually a setting idea will pop into my head as soon as I hit the Paypal button for the stone. Sometimes I pick out a stone to fit a particular setting that I like, before I even know which kind of stone I''m getting.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 5:48:16 PM
Author:aggal06
Do any of you ever think or plan out how you're going to set your newly purchased stone before it's even in your hands? All I've been doing today is looking at ring mounts and I don't even have my stone yet lol. Maybe it's because I'm excited because it's my first stone purchase?
Always! I'm a planner so I like to have an idea of what I want to do. I just clicked "purchase" on a new stone and already know what it's going into (assuming I love the stone IRL when it arrives).

Here is a link to LOGR, jewelryhoo, lanbo4, and American Set. Those are the only ebay sellers I have saved.

Good luck!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is your project for your ering or a fun ring or an rhr? Maybe check out the eyecandy thread up top here and in SMTR-pretty helpful threads methinks. You could browse on Etsy too-lots of gorgeous stuff there.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your first purchase!

I need to live with the stone for a while before I decide on a setting.

aggal06

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t decided yet if I want it to be an ering stone. I probably will once I see it. If I do, I was thinking of coming up with a few ideas and then giving them to the bf and let him do what he wants to with it when the time comes. If not, I still can make something fun out of it :)

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 7:35:18 PM
Author: Harriet
Congratulations on your first purchase!

I need to live with the stone for a while before I decide on a setting.

Ditto! You can call us slow and steady, I guess. Congrats on your new stone!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I know how it should be set, others I have to see it in person before making a decision. I've got stones that I've been sitting on for a few years because I just don't really know how I want them to be set.

FOr me its just case by case (or rather stone by stone)

I've done it the other way too; buy the setting then look for the stone. lets just say that rarely works out.

-A

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I have a stone sitting in my safe for too long it starts itching so I prefer to set them rather sooner than later.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It usually takes me about a year or so before I can think up a suitable design for the stone and get it completed. I''ve had my tsavorite for nearly a year now and it''s still unset. Even my spessartite took over 1 year to set and it''s finally going into a new permanent home soon. I like to really get to know the stone and all its nuances too before deciding on the style of the setting. Call me a slow poke.
9.gif

Sal from Cal

Rough_Rock
Trade
Congrats on your first purchase! The people here are so helpful and I am sure they will be able to help you find a setting that you will like.

I am also new to this all and just bought my stone last month and will be starting the setting process with a esty vendor (Julie Kay Taylor) next month.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results