shape
carat
color
clarity

do you ever get compliments from public strangers about your jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if yes.....what did he/she say? how did you reacted? did you think he/she was a weirdo?

tenfour

Shiny_Rock
1. ''your ring is pretty''
2. thankful for the compliment
3. no (??!!)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, all the time, especially store clerks when I am paying. I don''t think it''s weird at all, very flattering in fact!

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 7:23:25 PM
Author: neatfreak
Yes, all the time, especially store clerks when I am paying. I don''t think it''s weird at all, very flattering in fact!

the waitor at dinner last night (college guy) came up to our table and goes "holy fu#$. That''s a big rock," to my wife.

There really isn''t anywhere you can go from there... I was like "er, bring me a beer..."
2.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I commonly get compliments from nurses at work; probably because I use my hands more often at work than in random situations. I don''t think it''s weird, and I say thank you. often I also say that my hubby had a lot of help choosing
31.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Yep. Like neatfreak said, it''s usually from store clerks. I say thank you or answer their questions about it. No, I never think people were weirdos.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, when I wear my Pads. People want to know what stone it is.

Linda

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
yes, i get them for my earrings and necklace, but mostly for my diamond tennis bracelet. i tell them oh thank you and tell that it was a christmas gift. i dont think they are weird. if i see something on a stranger that i like i tell them. i think it is nice to get a compliment. who wouldnt like it??

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
People compliment my wedding set (well I am assuming really the e-ring) often. Maybe b/c it is slightly different so it gets noticed. Sometimes they are strange (like if they grab my hand, or ask me how much it costs
20.gif
, or say "oh someone must love you") but most the time it''s flattering.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 7:23:25 PM
Author: neatfreak

Ditto!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I do all the time either for my ER or my sapphires. I was grocery shopping the other day and I kept seeing this guy that was dressed somewhat like a construction worker. We kept going opposite ways down the aisles. I didn''t pay him too much attention but after about the third aisle as we crossed again he said to me " I just had to stop you, your ring is so beautiful and it''s sparkling like crazy." I wonder if he is a closet PSer? Hubby and I were in Home Depot looking at cabinets this weekend when the cabinet guy commented on how nice my ring was and that his wife would love to have one like it. It seems the guys have been commenting more lately.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Once a lady came from across a restaurant to look at my ring. That freaked my hubby out a little, but I loved it! I have had such nice compliments from store clerks, the pharmacist, servers at restaurants, the guy at the cell phone store. The other day at Home Depot the kitchen designer guy told me my necklace was blinding him. I love the compliments, they always make my day. And I don''t think those people are weirdo''s at all. I wish I had more nerve to complement a stranger on jewelry, but I''m always afraid of how they''ll react.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Working in the jewelry and watch trade for so many years I was asked about my jewelry on a daily basis...The diamonds over a carat got the most attention...the Rolex with blue dial and the vintage Omrga was asked about frequently.My jades and American indian jewelry were asked about as much as the diamonds pieces.I once was stopped by a little old lady and her husband who asked if my 2.54 round was genuine(she said that she didnt know that diamonds came so big)after i said yes they asked if i lived in a better part of town so she didnt have to worry about me getting mugged at night....I love being asked about my jewelry and watches.I meet the most interesting people this way.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always get compliments on mine. I thank the people and tell them a bit about the stone.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yes... I get compliments all of the time on my rings. People notice the sparkle and want to see it. I always thank them for being so kind and let them know that my hubby picked them out all by himself! (I am so proud of him
28.gif
)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I often do. As long as I am not somewhere where I feel funky (in the train station in NYC for example) I usually am flattered. I do not go into much detail at all but I just say thanks and pretty much that is it. Sometimes people want to know size and what type of shape it is...I say hubby bought it so I do not know price. Mostly people are really nice and gracious.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Stores with warehouse type ceilings, or dark restaurants with recessed spotlights over the table, seem to generate the most bling factor, and that's where I get the most compliments.

One waitress said "your ring is gorgeous", turned to my husband and said, "you did good!". He enjoyed that tremendously!

I don't feel weird, because I will compliment someone else's beautiful jewelry if I so desire. Most women are receptive to other women's compliments. Men can sometimes be the most blunt: "he must love you alot" or "how much did that cost him" are comments I have heard from guys. One elderly gentleman at our church said "that's quite a rock!". Women are much more subtle, most of the time. We just want to hear the story, and admire the fire.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I get it sometimes and I love it. Usually it''s when someone (usually a clerk) notices the design is a flower and asks who made it. I like to talk about it, and it''s fun. Usually the person who asks is a female who also has a pretty ring, so then I get to look at hers, too. I don''t find it odd, because I do the same thing when I see something special and out of the ordinary.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I do. The sparkle from my wedding set does get its share of compliments. I've received them from sales associates. clerks, doctors' nurses/receptionists and others. I say thank you, unless they seem really interested and want to know more. I enjoy talking about my jewelry! I have a new pendant and earrings, which were made by a contemporary jewelry artist. My coworkers, who are "used" to my older purchases, are loving the new pieces
2.gif

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I too get my fair share of compliments on my beautiful ring.
1.gif
The funniest one was when the clerk asking said, "Wow that''s gorgeous, we''re currently shopping for a ring and haven''t seen anything like that before. You obviously didn''t get that around here, did you?" I of course informed her of JamesAllen.com where I found my ring, which then led me to telling her about pricescope. I don''t know if she ever signed up here or not but she sure was excited to learn about a place like this.
12.gif

I don''t mind the compliments and people wanting to look at it so much. What does erk me is when people ask how much it cost, I don''t think that''s any of their business and in really poor taste to ask a perfect stranger!
38.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, and most people have never heard of a spess much less seen a high quality one. they are absolutely amazed. and i''m happy to educate them.

movie zombie

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
one time i shock this lady at Costco...

i said...nice Asscher (her E ring) and then i said....that''s a beautiful Cushion (her RHR) i think she was shock that a man knows the shape of her diamonds.
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everyone compliments me on my roberto coin palm tree necklace. One gal even came up and complimented me about it and then we ended up talking about jewelry for half an hour!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the time, and then I tell them my husband is a great guy!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to get compliments on my jewelry, but lately when I''m out with the kids (especially my 2 year old girl)
they get all the compliments. I''m not complaining
1.gif

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/31/2008 10:40:26 AM
Author: Tuckins1
...let them know that my hubby picked them out all by himself! (I am so proud of him
28.gif
)

That''s so funny! I do the same thing!

I get a lot of compliments and I usually just thank them and move on. One time I was interviewing a lady for a position at work and she couldn''t take her eyes on my rings. It got a little unnerving, so needless to say she didn''t get the job.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. "It''s lovely." No.

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
I''m on the opposite end...I am the store clerk, and my store has excellent lighting that really brings out the fire in my stone. My customers comment on how pretty it is all of the time. It doesn''t bother me at all, its rather nice to hear!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I think its pleasant and am usually grateful.
Although, I did have one lady ask the other day how much it cost
40.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
#1 Most Frequent Comment: He must love you a lot.
#2 Most Frequent Comment: OMG. Is it real?
#3 Most Frequent Comment: I love your ring!

It's usually FI who notices people staring (I am oblivious)... We were at a restaurant and he said a girl was staring and pointing at my ring. Then the couple started fighting and it ended with the girl crying! That was not a good experience (I think the e-ring triggered a spat!) but on the whole it has been really fun.
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results