shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you consider diamond hoops a classic/staple piece?

Soliciting further opinions - how much would you be willing to pay for hoops? Trying to get an idea of what a reasonable price would be. I want big/medium sized (~2in diameter), 20-25pts each stone, inside-out hoops, in 18kt gold.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I see big hoops I think of younger people. I don't follow fashion much so I don't always recognize if something is fashionable or not. I think we should all wear what we love.

I used to have a pair of huggies that I wore all the time. I lost them and replaced them with studs that I wear all the time now. I have a small pair of hoops (maybe 1") and I don't wear them very often because they're harder to get onto my earlobes and fastened. I also feel like they are dressier than my normal clothing so I wear them for dress up occasions only. I have a pair of small pearl studs that I wear if I feel that diamonds aren't appropriate (aka rarely). My ears are very picky and get red and itchy if I try to be adventurous with earrings so I stick to my tried and true studs.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Soliciting further opinions - how much would you be willing to pay for hoops? Trying to get an idea of what a reasonable price would be. I want big/medium sized (~2in diameter), 20-25pts each stone, inside-out hoops, in 18kt gold.

I think hoops with these stats will be pricey. Why don't you reach out to one of our vendors like @Wink and have them priced for you.

I think hoops with these stats will be pricey. Why don't you reach out to one of our vendors like @Wink and have them priced for you.

I am already afraid of how much I’ll have to pay, haha! I am based most of the time out of India and I never visit the US so I will be getting my earrings there since my jeweler is great and the pricing will be better than in the US for sure, but I just wanted to get a rough idea so that I would be able to better determine whether the quote is fair. That’s why I didn’t want to reach out to a vendor since I know I won’t be getting it from them. Or alternately when I’m back in india and I have time to visit my jeweler I can ask him for a quote and run it by here as a sanity check, if you think that’s more sensible?

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@AllAboardTheBlingTrain I think diamond hoops are a classic for sure! And the baguettes you posted are gorgeous, it’s a classic piece with a twist. I prefer the first pair where the baguettes are differently oriented - I find that due to the facets of step cuts, having them set in different orientations means they sparkle “more” from different viewing angles.

In case it’s helpful regarding size, I’d like to provide the perspective of smaller huggie/hoops - mine are 2.0cm, 1.3cm and 0.9cm; moissanite, diamond and CZ respectively. The reason for the different stones is basically what was within my budget at the time I got them (18k YG, 18k YG and 9k Yg).

The three stacked together are one of my most worn daily stacks. The hoop/huggie closing mechanism makes them very comfortable to wear and I run, shower and sleep in them (too lazy to take them off!). The look is subtle enough for day but big enough for night.

I wouldn’t say no to a larger pair (especially the Bulgari Serpentis!) but that’s something on the wishlist for future :)

C4722400-C7E1-4255-9548-CBF9264E537E.jpeg

@AllAboardTheBlingTrain I think diamond hoops are a classic for sure! And the baguettes you posted are gorgeous, it’s a classic piece with a twist. I prefer the first pair where the baguettes are differently oriented - I find that due to the facets of step cuts, having them set in different orientations means they sparkle “more” from different viewing angles.

In case it’s helpful regarding size, I’d like to provide the perspective of smaller huggie/hoops - mine are 2.0cm, 1.3cm and 0.9cm; moissanite, diamond and CZ respectively. The reason for the different stones is basically what was within my budget at the time I got them (18k YG, 18k YG and 9k Yg).

The three stacked together are one of my most worn daily stacks. The hoop/huggie closing mechanism makes them very comfortable to wear and I run, shower and sleep in them (too lazy to take them off!). The look is subtle enough for day but big enough for night.

I wouldn’t say no to a larger pair (especially the Bulgari Serpentis!) but that’s something on the wishlist for future :)

Thank you so much for your comments and the pic reference! I love the look with the multiple hoops all worn together, so chic!!

I like the first pair as well because they seem a bit different and unique and I like that; and they will also be cheaper than the other type simply because the EW baguettes will necessarily be smaller sized than the NS ones; also cheaper than the more typical mrb hoops. As I want to go really really big with the NS orientation stones I am looking for ways to make the pricing more palatable. I haven’t actually spoken to my jeweler yet of course, but in India, where I’m from, labour is not really a huge factor in the price of a piece, raw material cost REALLY matters. So going with half 25pters and half 8pters will be significantly better priced than 25pters all the way through; and step cuts will be better priced than rounds; even if I don’t know exactly what that price would be right now, haha.

I would love a pair of standout hoops that could work as a bling everyday look while also being totally appropriate for a night out or a big party.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I wonder how the baguette hoops will sparkle. I have never tried a pair on. But I do love the way they look!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely, I’m old and creaky too, and don’t care what other people think. My 3.5ct inside out with a twist at the bottom hoops.

(That’s not a nit in my hair, it’s a piece of fluff :lol:)

I wonder how the baguette hoops will sparkle. I have never tried a pair on. But I do love the way they look!

I don’t know either, @lulu_ma, but I have a pair of small EC studs (0.8ctw) and while they look… not their best when they’re dirty, I like the large flashes on the ear when they’re clean.

If my jeweler doesn’t have baguette hoops for me to try when I go in I might hold an eternity ring to the ear to see how it looks :D

Absolutely, I’m old and creaky too, and don’t care what other people think. My 3.5ct inside out with a twist at the bottom hoops.

B66E3530-D54A-46A2-B125-373A98E91B30.jpeg

The double hoop is so cool! I love it!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I’ve been thinking about baguette hoops more, I think I might even like them better than rounds. What do you guys think of something like these?

BB007DBC-EF48-4898-B69D-B8E9C2FAFD89.jpeg A08B96AF-64A6-4D15-9D8F-1F25D7931DCD.jpeg

I love the closure on the second one!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely think they are classic. I wanted a unique pair of diamond hoops and I chose these. About 1.5ctw, 1 inch long. 20230203_122502.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful...fuzz or not!

I love the closure on the second one!

Oh I didn’t even think about closures yet. I would want whatever is most secure, so I’ll let my jeweler decide on what I should go with :D

I definitely think they are classic. I wanted a unique pair of diamond hoops and I chose these. About 1.5ctw, 1 inch long. 20230203_122502.jpg

Oh I LOOOOOVE these, they are stunning!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I didn’t even think about closures yet. I would want whatever is most secure, so I’ll let my jeweler decide on what I should go with :D

Oh I LOOOOOVE these, they are stunning!

Thank you! My experience with closures like the first ones was because of the comfort level. I can't do anything like that or French clips because they end up hurting after awhile. I had a few earrings I have had changed to regular posts with backs that would accommodate them and would also keep them secure. Can't wait to see what you choose!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I’ve been thinking about baguette hoops more, I think I might even like them better than rounds. What do you guys think of something like these?

BB007DBC-EF48-4898-B69D-B8E9C2FAFD89.jpeg A08B96AF-64A6-4D15-9D8F-1F25D7931DCD.jpeg

Baguettes don't sparkle like rounds... They're more subtle and glassy... And they're much more heavily impacted by grease (skin oils, hair oils, etc.)...

I wouldn't. No one else will appreciate subtlety on your ears and you won’t either whilst you’re wearing them.

Last edited:

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Baguettes don't sparkle like rounds... They're more subtle and glassy... And they're much more heavily impacted by grease (skin oils, hair oils, etc.)...

I wouldn't. No one else will appreciate subtlety on your ears and you won’t either whilst you’re wearing them.

Good point!

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I love curved hoop earrings. Both Tiffany and Cartier offer them (although I bought a non-branded pair for less). To me, these or any other diamond hoops will always be classic and beautiful.

inside-out-hoop-earrings-11857035_1016240_ED.jpg

inside-out-hoop-earrings-11857035_1026075_SV_1.jpg

Fair point, @yssie, can I just ask you to clarify something? I realised I’ve been using “baguettes” and “ECs” interchangeably because that’s how most jewelers in India do it, but what I meant was ECs (since I want to go 0.25ct each stone, at least in the NS dimension). And while ECs don’t sparkle like rounds, they do have nice broad flashes on the ear when they’re clean (I have a pair of small EC studs). So did you mean that step cuts in general I should stay away from or were you specifically talking about baguettes (this is on me for not being clear, haha).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fair point, @yssie, can I just ask you to clarify something? I realised I’ve been using “baguettes” and “ECs” interchangeably because that’s how most jewelers in India do it, but what I meant was ECs (since I want to go 0.25ct each stone, at least in the NS dimension). And while ECs don’t sparkle like rounds, they do have nice broad flashes on the ear when they’re clean (I have a pair of small EC studs). So did you mean that step cuts in general I should stay away from or were you specifically talking about baguettes (this is on me for not being clear, haha).

ECs and baguettes have similar flavours of light return - and unfortunately they’re similarly-compromised by any grease or oils. So I’d stay away from both, personally, for earrings (hoops or dangles especially because unless you have a pixie crop your hair will get alllllll over dangly earrings)!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love your trio. They’re subtle and sensual - you sized them perfectly. Pics like this make me want multiple piercings…

Just had to share this pic! Sharing with permission - @LLJsmom and me trying the Serpenti hoops on. They’re soooo comfy and sparkly!!
D89416E9-EA94-4CB9-AFA6-FFB109D79E53.jpeg

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
I love your trio. They’re subtle and sensual - you sized them perfectly. Pics like this make me want multiple piercings…

Just had to share this pic! Sharing with permission - @LLJsmom and me trying the Serpenti hoops on. They’re soooo comfy and sparkly!!
D89416E9-EA94-4CB9-AFA6-FFB109D79E53.jpeg

Haha at first, I thought you two were mirror images of each other!

I adore these Bulgari Serpentis, they are a really great size for day or night and look good on both your ears :kiss2:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YES. So much yes. Completely stunning. Even I would suck it up and take put them on and off as needed. I also like alternating RBs and ECs.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha at first, I thought you two were mirror images of each other!

I adore these Bulgari Serpentis, they are a really great size for day or night and look good on both your ears :kiss2:

Hah. That’s cause the pic doesn’t show the rest of us, LLJsmom has the sort of waistline and muscles I can only dream of! :lol:

I rather want some hoops too, actually, so this thread is timely… But I tend to go the opposite direction of @AllAboardTheBlingTrain - I want squat, wide, blingy huggies. The Chanel Coco Crush are perfection for me. But…
1) I have a mental block about buying “fine jewellery” from a fast fashion house, and
2) The pricetag, holy smokes!

I actually don’t care about the brand at all in this case - I’d happily buy something non-branded and un-quilted with the same fit - but I haven’t found anything with *this* width and drop and post position and super comfy omega back. I have a feeling I’ll end up buying them just because of how comfy they are, and pay a massive brand premium for a brand I don’t value at all :wall:

89A00044-7F4B-4190-8D9B-F824C49E388C.jpeg

@AllAboardTheBlingTrain Thank you for indulging my small detour in your thread!

Last edited:
YES. So much yes. Completely stunning. Even I would suck it up and take put them on and off as needed. I also like alternating RBs and ECs.

Alternating RBs and ECs is an excellent idea! It’ll depend on how expensive it turns out to be, honestly :D

Hah. That’s cause the pic doesn’t show the rest of us, LLJsmom has the sort of waistline and muscles I can only dream of! :lol:

I rather want some hoops too, actually, so this thread is timely… But I tend to go the opposite direction of @AllAboardTheBlingTrain - I want squat, wide, blingy huggies. The Chanel Coco Crush are perfection for me. But…
1) I have a mental block about buying “fine jewellery” from a fast fashion house, and
2) The pricetag, holy smokes!

I actually don’t care about the brand at all in this case - I’d happily buy something non-branded and un-quilted with the same fit - but I haven’t found anything with *this* width and drop and post position and super comfy omega back. I have a feeling I’ll end up buying them just because of how comfy they are, and pay a massive brand premium for a brand I don’t value at all :wall:

89A00044-7F4B-4190-8D9B-F824C49E388C.jpeg

@AllAboardTheBlingTrain Thank you for indulging my small detour in your thread!

Oh I don’t mind at all! I just wanted to get the discussion going, and I think my hoops journey has stalled until I (finally) get back home. And if I can weigh in on your dilemma, if there was ever a time to go custom @yssie, it would be now. You say you don’t value the brand (and I agree with you. I would also be loath to pay the brand premium for Chanel fine jewelry), so why not contact any of the many great vendors in the US and tell them your exact requirements? Even if you pay a premium for their work it’ll be cheaper than buying from Chanel.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results