shape
carat
color
clarity

Do sapphires come in electric violet-blue color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Hi people,

After a visit to the NYC diamond district, I wasn''t very impressed with the colors of the sapphires. I don''t particularly care for the medium-dark blue that most people prefer. I''m much more interested in the intense electric violet-blue of tanzanite or the velvet colors of kashmir. But I need a stone that is good for daily wear in a ring, at least 1.5 carats, and under 3k. Is there a particular kind of sapphire anyone could recommend that is the color I described? I have looked on all the vendor websites recommended on PS.

I had a few color change sapphire in mind, but these typically seem to lack the saturation and "electric" color of stones like medium colored tanzanite. I see some sapphire being called "kashmir" colored, but to me these are not electric blue.

I have also looked for cobalt spinel, but can''t find much of it.

Is there such a variety of sapphire as I am looking for aviailble?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Its going to be expensive. Check out Richard Wise. Here''s a link to his sapphires. He has a lot of bright, bright blues but I''m not seeing any violet in them. Its worth it to give him a call to ask him if he might have anything that''s not listed on his site.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if you want something like that, you will probably have to get it heated (gentle heat treatment) to get it in your price range. Did you check simplysapphires.com? They might have something on their site. They do not sell be-treated sapphires.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, those definitely exist. What you are looking for is vB5/6 (violet blue with medium tone and intense saturation). Unfortunately, something like this is majorly expensive and you aren''t going to get 1.5 ct for $3K unless it is heat treated. A good place to start is to check out www.Palagems.com

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Have you given up the idea of a diamond or are you looking for a sapphire for another project?

cheers--Sharon

empress

Shiny_Rock
Richard Wise has a nice cobalt spinel:

http://www.rwwise.com/products/id|1648

Cheers and Happy New Year.

35.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi muffin - I think my sapphire sounds very close to what you are asking - many photos here

I agree with the others though, you will likely have better chances getting what you''re after if you include heat treatment.
I''m usually one who prefers all untreated stones, but I don''t have any problem with it for my sapphire.

hth

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
For that color and that price your going to have to consider heat treating (unless your flexible on the color or budget). Contact all the vendors suggested as it could take a while to find the sapphire that "speaks" to you.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with all the others. If you want a vivid blue stone in your price range you are most definitely going to have to include heat treatment.

This is mine ........ it's heated but otherwise untreated, just over 1ct and is not well cut but that was the price I had to pay to get the colour I wanted. This literally took me years to find! Ok, if my budget had been unlimited I would have been able to find something much sooner but vivid sapphires in an affordable price bracket don't come around often. My advice to you is if you see one, don't hesitate, buy it immediately!

Sapphire4_1_1.JPG

Sapphire3_1_1.JPG

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Indy Lady,

I am so glad I asked this question, I am definitely going to email RW thanks for the tip.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Hi TL, I have checked out that website but am looking for more intensity in the color I guess....I have no problem with heat or Be treatments.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
hi Chrono,

I think richard wise has some pretty amazing stuff...pala''s is less the tone I am looking for....let me see if I can find this electric color in round and I will be pretty excited.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sharon,

DIamonds are intimidating me because so many people say that if the price is as good as I claim then something is wrong with the diamond (regarding the vendor I recently mentioned)...while to my eye it''s fabulous I don''t want to buy something so regulated at retail price or with a major flaw. My first choice was spinel and even at 5k I cannot find the color/shape anywhere around 2 carats- I even asked pala if they would cut rough for me.

So now I am considering sapphire and if that doesn''t work out I will also consider diamond....I am taking my time deciding.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
ArjunaJ, your sapphire is so nice and beautifully cut....I am looking for a slightly different color but am very impressed by your own ring.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
That sapphire is simply stunning. You should be proud of yourself. This is one of the two colors I would be happy with:)

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Thanks empress, I also found some amazing blue spinel at pala gems but sadly not in a round shape.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2010 1:31:21 PM
Author: mufiin_top
Hi TL, I have checked out that website but am looking for more intensity in the color I guess....I have no problem with heat or Be treatments.
You might want to ask them if they have anything not listed on their site. I do that all the time. Sometimes it takes vendors a while to get their stock listed online.

LD,
That sapphire is really something!!
30.gif

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 5:58:27 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I agree with all the others. If you want a vivid blue stone in your price range you are most definitely going to have to include heat treatment.

This is mine ........ it''s heated but otherwise untreated, just over 1ct and is not well cut but that was the price I had to pay to get the colour I wanted. This literally took me years to find! Ok, if my budget had been unlimited I would have been able to find something much sooner but vivid sapphires in an affordable price bracket don''t come around often. My advice to you is if you see one, don''t hesitate, buy it immediately!

Sapphire4_1_1.JPG

Sapphire3_1_1.JPG
OMG, it''s sooo beautiful. Definitely one of the finest pieces/gems I''ve seen here in PS.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results