shape
carat
color
clarity

Do people outside of PS comment on your ring(s)?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1334280642|3169806 said:
Thank you for your kindness everyone. I'm pretty sure things are at the end. I said my good byes today, and it was hard as expected. We're going to keep her hooked up to thing for a few days hoping she'll improve but even then quality of life would be an issue unless it's a pretty huge recovery. So we'll see. Your support, caring, dust and prayers are very much appreciated. I'm a bit drained right now. I keep thinking of things to do but can't really muster up any energy to do any of them. Life is strange.
Praying for you and your granny tonight, Gypsy.

As for the original question, my jeweler always notices my rings. Otherwise, they tend to get noticed by cashiers if the light is favorable, which it is at a lot of stores. As another poster noted, PSer rings are much cleaner than most diamond rings out there, and it makes a huge difference.

Family and friends never say a word about rings.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy--so sorry to hear about your grandmother. You are so lucky to have such a wonderful relationship. Your comments are so sweet and insightful--it's evident how much you love her. <3

I often admire other women's jewels, but I feel uncomfortable making comments, so I rarely do. Talking about diamonds and expensive jewelry seems almost like talking about money, which can come off as incredibly tacky. Maybe this is part of the reason people seem more likely to compliment a colored stone--because generally people don't know as much about the cost of most colored stones?

Of course, when freshly engaged, everyone looks at it and comments on it. I get occasional compliments on my ring outside of: "congrats! lets see the ring! ooooh, pretty!". Surprisingly, I tend to get more compliments from men than women. I work in a male-dominated industry, and I have heard a lot of, "wow, check out that rock!". My stone is a nice size, but by no means a "rock". I don't know--perhaps guys feel like women love to hear that, or if they are less worried about offending someone by commenting on their jewels. My male coworker even flat-out asked "how much did he spend?" when I first got engaged. I would never dream of asking that--not even my closest friends! I think my mom would roll over in her grave!!!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stuff gets heaps of comments, particularly amongst my work collegues who feel comfortable approaching me about it. I think alot of the reason is that for the price I paid, the quality of my stuff (all from PS vendors) is amazing, and to get that sort of calibre stuff here is Australia is BIG BUCKS. Most people come to me when they need advice re. purchasing diamonds. They know I love diamonds and that they are a part of me.

Friends of ours recently asked where to purchase an engagement ring (ie. local B&M places) and I referred them to JA, WF, BGD and IDJ. The bride to be saw the exact ring she wanted on the JA website and bought it, far bigger and more beautiful than she could have afforded here, complete with GIA reports etc etc, and still saved nearly $3k! So people know not to make fun of me, because my love of jewellery works in their favour too. :bigsmile:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am about your grandma, and I love that you see aspects of her in yourself. Thinking of you hon xx

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1334228566|3169147 said:
Thank you so much bean and missy. I'm not sure what's right for her... I want my grandma, but with her Alzheimer's that might just be selfish of me. Her life is hard and going to get harder. I don't want that for her. So it's in god's hands now, I suppose.

Gypsy your Grandma sounds very special to you, just remember all the precious memories you have of her, they are yours to keep forever

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1334228566|3169147 said:
Thank you so much bean and missy. I'm not sure what's right for her... I want my grandma, but with her Alzheimer's that might just be selfish of me. Her life is hard and going to get harder. I don't want that for her. So it's in god's hands now, I suppose.
Gypsy, I'm so sorry for what you and your grandmother and family are going through right now.
It's so hard to reconcile what you *know* might be best for her with what you *want* to be true about her condition. I felt the same way when my grandmother was very sick. I just kept on wishing, wishing, wishing that things could be different so I could have her around for just a little bit longer. There were moments when I really thought that wishing could make it so. I don't think we're ever really ready to let go of someone we love.
Big hugs to you, dear. Big, warm, bury-your-head-into-my-shoulder-and-hide-there-for-a-bit hugs.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I don't really have anything to add because I'm not yet engaged so I've got no ering to comment on, but I wanted to pop in a send ((((HUGS)))) to Gypsy. I'm so sorry for your pain and what you're going through. Much love, darling.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I'm so sorry about your grandmother. My grandmother has dementia and often can't remember that she used to be a jewelry artist. She is stunned when she sees pieces she made and says, "Oh, I can't possibly have made that!" It's very sad. But she can still remember the even more important things, like who we are and that we love her. She has really gone downhill since my grandfather died last August, like she was holding it all together for him and now that he's gone she doesn't have to. I am hoping for the best for your grandmother. Your story deeply affected me as I know I'll be facing something similar with my grandmother soon.

tuffyluvr|1334307390|3169999 said:
Maybe this is part of the reason people seem more likely to compliment a colored stone--because generally people don't know as much about the cost of most colored stones? ... My male coworker even flat-out asked "how much did he spend?" when I first got engaged. I would never dream of asking that--not even my closest friends! I think my mom would roll over in her grave!!!

I've had a number of people ask how much my ring cost. Most were surprised by how little it was compared to their expectations. They are usually guessing it cost about two or three times what it did.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1334280642|3169806 said:
Thank you for your kindness everyone. I'm pretty sure things are at the end. I said my good byes today, and it was hard as expected. We're going to keep her hooked up to thing for a few days hoping she'll improve but even then quality of life would be an issue unless it's a pretty huge recovery. So we'll see. Your support, caring, dust and prayers are very much appreciated. I'm a bit drained right now. I keep thinking of things to do but can't really muster up any energy to do any of them. Life is strange.

I know first hand this pull-push type of feeling and my heart goes out to you. When things are like this you don't need to do anything. Just be. It's just a necessary part of the process to feel all the feelings you are feeling tonight - good and bad. I wish you strength. . .

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, ;( I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. Hugs.

I get comments about my jewelry when I go to my corporate office in Wisconsin, but no comments in LA with the exception of my carrera pendant. It's just front and center, and is pretty luminous due to the MOP. It's also Amelia's favorite piece of jewelry of mine because she always says one butterfly is for her, and one for mommy. Thus it's become a hugely sentimental piece for me.

My watch has caught the eye of a few men though.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Well, I don't know. I'm getting it next month, and I'll let you know! :bigsmile:

BTW, for those of you who have waited so patiently with me, I promise a complete "photo spread" showing the unwrapping of the box with the white paper and red seal, to the inner box, to the ring in the box, etc.

If I can manage to give myself a half way decent nail clipping and filing, I might even consider a hand shot. Don't hold me to that one, though.

PS doesn't have any pictures of the Cartier band I'm getting, so whatever happens outside of PS, I think I'll get comments here! Just a guess. :saint:

I'm not going to care about what anyone outside of PS thinks of my ring, TBH. I know that I love it, SO loves it, and it's perfect for me. It took me a long time to decide on it, and a long time to get it. I really am going to be wearing it because it's mine, and not because of what it might say to other people. If people like it, I'll just say, "Thank you" and move on. If there are any "haters", they'll get no more reaction from me than a disdainful look. :cheeky:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Danny we will be eagerly waiting for those handshots! I bet it will be beautiful!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1334367938|3170623 said:
Well, I don't know. I'm getting it next month, and I'll let you know! :bigsmile:

BTW, for those of you who have waited so patiently with me, I promise a complete "photo spread" showing the unwrapping of the box with the white paper and red seal, to the inner box, to the ring in the box, etc.

If I can manage to give myself a half way decent nail clipping and filing, I might even consider a hand shot. Don't hold me to that one, though.

PS doesn't have any pictures of the Cartier band I'm getting, so whatever happens outside of PS, I think I'll get comments here! Just a guess. :saint:

I'm not going to care about what anyone outside of PS thinks of my ring, TBH. I know that I love it, SO loves it, and it's perfect for me. It took me a long time to decide on it, and a long time to get it. I really am going to be wearing it because it's mine, and not because of what it might say to other people. If people like it, I'll just say, "Thank you" and move on. If there are any "haters", they'll get no more reaction from me than a disdainful look. :cheeky:

Oh, you can bet on that Danny! :D I for one can't wait to see it! I'm very excited for you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much everyone. I do love my grandma, and even though she's been in decline and I knew that this was inevitable it's hard when it's actually here. And now with her on the respirator there's a weird hope and yet, no hope either. Both of DH's grandparents passed quickly in their own homes-- alive one minute, dead the next. Both of my grandparents have been on life support in the same hospital and my family has been torn apart with the decisions we have to make. I finally understand why so many old people around me say they just want to go quickly and quietly. I'm sorry I'm upset, grieving and angry right now I think. Back to mindless distraction posting, feeling is too hard right now. Thank you all again, I really do appreciate all the support and empathy and caring.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks and Junebug, ok, I'll do the whole thing, unwrapping, hand shots, flower shots, the works. I promise. Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm so excited! :appl:

For the record, I do often comment on people's rings, watches, and cars. :saint:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1334369304|3170643 said:
MissGotRocks and Junebug, ok, I'll do the whole thing, unwrapping, hand shots, flower shots, the works. I promise. Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm so excited! :appl:

For the record, I do often comment on people's rings, watches, and cars. :saint:

We're holding you to it!! So happy for you that you are so excited - I know you have waited a long time for this!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't wait for your ring Danny! That will be such a thrill, living vicariously thru you, to go thru the Cartier process - woo hoo!!!! Is it WG? YG? RG? combo? plain? stones? Diamond.... you may have hinted somewhere but I'm so bad at remembering things.... sorry for my memory lapse!

Excited for you!!! :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, classic, timeless, elegant.... AWESOME! Hurry up USPS and get it out to Hawaii!

Thanks for the link - I'm enjoying the audio, too! :D

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1334411795|3170858 said:
Beautiful, classic, timeless, elegant.... AWESOME! Hurry up USPS and get it out to Hawaii!

Thanks for the link - I'm enjoying the audio, too! :D

You're welcome! :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resonance.Of.Life|1334193383|3168925 said:
People comment and compliment my ring ALL the time .. and I really do mean all the time. I'm an RN, so I work with my hands a lot so it's really noticeable. Co-workers and patients alike have commented and have ooh and ahhed over it. I think they like it because it's something that's not what they normally see on fingers around here. That being said, I do have a rude co-worker who keeps insisting it's a CZ because it's "too shiny and big" to be a real diamond. :roll:

I'd like to say that I'm appalled at the whole CZ comment, but unfortunately there are people who are really jealous of the beautiful things of others... :roll:

On the bright side, at least you know your ring is so big and gorgeous that she couldn't comprehend having it for herself (since she thinks it's a "CZ"...) HA! :naughty:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's awesome, danny!! I will be getting mine in a month or so (being made). Can't wait to see your photos!!! :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1334255018|3169405 said:
I do get comments on my rings (e-ring and RHR) occasionally. I get more subtle looks without comments, though. Not sure what's up with that. :confused: There is one MD here at work in particular whose eyes always drift to my e-ring when she is talking to me, but she's never once asked about it/commented on it. I posted a thread awhile ago about complimenting other people's bling because I wanted to know whether people would be flattered or creeped out if I said something about their jewelry, as I can't help but notice beautiful jewelry on people. The answers were pretty mixed. I always compliment folks I know, but am a little wary of commenting on total strangers. If they look friendly, I will say something, but if they look like they'd give me the stink eye, I just admire from afar. :lol:

I get a lot of questions about my stack. Everyone wants to know why I have 4 rings, so I have to explain the significance of each one. And when I mention that one of them is a spacer I get all kinds of blank stares. Same thing when I tell them that my stone is an Asscher.

Gypsy - I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I will send healing dust her way!

Misfit, you took the words right out of my mouth!! I don't have my ering yet, but I have been, for lack of a better word... OBSESSED with all things jewelry my entire life!! I've been obsessed with engagement rings since I was about 20 years old, and now that I'm actually gonna get to wear one, it's even worse!! HA!

I feel awkward when I can't help but stare at a women's ring -- I usually just comment, "...you have a VERY pretty ring..." or something like that. Sometimes it's well received, and the woman will talk about it, but mostly I just get a weird "oh, thanks." AWKWARD!! :???:

I wish everyone was as vocal about their rings as the ppl on PS!! Oh well... at least we can depend on each other to comment and give opinions! :D

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I get compliments usually 2-3 times a week. I own a bar and also bartend a couple days a week, so people notice my hands I guess. I have small fingers too, so a 1.73 carat diamond is pretty noticeable. But people mostly comment on how much it sparkles. I do notice that almost no one I see with diamonds ever cleans them in addition to them not being well-cut, so my diamond is noticeable for being both of those things.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I get comments all the time. Mostly about how sparkly it is. I keep it clean, but it the cut, I'm sure, that is blowing people away.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get comments from cashiers and such on occasion and from ladies at work. The only common thread is that it's usually a younger woman, I would say 30's or younger. It's always nice to get a compliment!

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Be sure and tell us which forum it'll be in, Danny :wavey: I don't go to RT or SMTB, so if it's over there, please let us know!

What's to hate? :confused: It's Cartier! :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I had one salesguy, once, in a Pier One, comment on my 25th anniversary ring. I looked at it, and realized that Pier One has the world's greatest jewelry lighting! It was awesome. :cheeky:

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. Not just my rings, but my earrings and necklaces/pendants as well. I have had the "Is it real" question from tactless people and usually just give them a very intense look in reply. My avatar ring gets noticed A LOT. It was one of those rings I purchased without mentioning it to the husband and he's not quite sure how expensive it was and has the good sense not to ask.

I ALWAYS, but ALWAYS notice jewelry on others and comment. I must have been a magpie in a former life....

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This week twice someone commented and then poked at the table with their finger. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results