shape
carat
color
clarity

Do people outside of PS comment on your ring(s)?

Gypsy|1334201669|3169031 said:
Nope. Just my bling loving grandma with Alzheimer who sees it for the first time every time.

I'm finding this sad and beautiful at the same time.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
bean|1334213993|3169097 said:
Nope. Just my bling loving grandma with Alzheimer who sees it for the first time every time.

She's in ICU tonight and I'm just feeling reflective about her. Last time I saw her and she was lucid she held my hand and ran her finger over my ring over and over again just watching it and she looked up at me and told me how pretty it is. Before her they put her under to intubate her she was lucid and, because she knew she might not wake, she made my mom promise to make sure I get her turquoise ballerina ring. She's where I get my bling addiction from. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Gypsy|1334214412|3169100 said:

She's in ICU tonight and I'm just feeling reflective about her. Last time I saw her and she was lucid she held my hand and ran her finger over my ring over and over again just watching it and she looked up at me and told me how pretty it is.

Oh, I'm so sorry. I hope she gets out of ICU soon!

ZahraLeyla

Shiny_Rock
I get lots of compliments, from both acquaintances and complete strangers. I think it's probably because my setting is a very unusual design, and people still aren't used to seeing larger diamonds here in Western Australia (though with the massive economic boom we're going through at the moment, you'd expect everyone to be wearing 5ct+ honkers).

The funniest thing is when people try to guess the size or price. I've had everything from 12ct to $250K ... bizarre. Some of the worst guesses have been made by jewellers!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Occasionally, but it's usually my sapphire ring (or now, my new emerald). I think coloured stones are a little bit better liked than diamonds in the UK. My 5 stone asscher band gets a few comments (of the "oh, that's a big ring" variety).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do (still) get a lot of compliments on my ring. Occasionally I get repeat compliments from my colleagues but more often now I get compliments from people I do not know when I am out and about- shopping etc. I also get the occasional wow, your husband really loves you!! Which is amusing because ofc the diamond size has nothing to do with the love your dh feels for you but I think some people (not from PS) really think that. Because if the size of the diamond had to do proportionally with the love my dh felt for me I would most definitely have at least a 20 carat flawless ideal cut D color diamond ring!!! :cheeky:

Diamond shrinkage has really set in for me at this point so getting compliments like I do helps bring me (somewhat) back to reality but still, how did my diamond start looking so small to me. :rolleyes:

Gypsy, sending healing ***dust*** to your grandmother. Hope she gets better soon...hugs!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much bean and missy. I'm not sure what's right for her... I want my grandma, but with her Alzheimer's that might just be selfish of me. Her life is hard and going to get harder. I don't want that for her. So it's in god's hands now, I suppose.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On my ering I get comment....mostly about the sparkle... Rarely about size...

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1334228566|3169147 said:
Thank you so much bean and missy. I'm not sure what's right for her... I want my grandma, but with her Alzheimer's that might just be selfish of me. Her life is hard and going to get harder. I don't want that for her. So it's in god's hands now, I suppose.

Gypsy, I just lost my Grandmother back in February (has it really been that long without her?) after a long battle with COPD. She was my most favorite person in the whole world (best friend, confidant, the whole thing) and at the end was probably the toughest. The last 8 days of her life, she had my Granddaddy, My Aunt, my Uncle and myself all around her for round the clock care (along with help from hospice every few days). With every day that passed, we each realized that the Grandma/wife/mother we knew wasnt coming back, which made it a little less hard to let her go. I COMPLETELY understand where you're at and I hope it gets better for you and your family. Sending you tons of positivity during this crazy time.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Not all the time but it does happen once in a while. Usually the comment is that the diamond is so sparkly.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I laughed! And then felt very guilty. I think my grandmother is starting to go the same way. Nice that it delights your grandmother every time!

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
I've gotten compliments on my jewelery, but mostly my colored stones. The funny thing is: My $130 total yellow Sphene set in silver gets a compliment every time I wear it. I then have to try to explain what a Sphene is... which leads directly to black stares.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

She's in ICU tonight and I'm just feeling reflective about her. Last time I saw her and she was lucid she held my hand and ran her finger over my ring over and over again just watching it and she looked up at me and told me how pretty it is. Before her they put her under to intubate her she was lucid and, because she knew she might not wake, she made my mom promise to make sure I get her turquoise ballerina ring. She's where I get my bling addiction from. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Gypsy, I didn't see this post when I replied. Sorry. Such a painful time for you and your family. I'm thinking about you. Hugs.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, surprisingly often, but that could be because we live in an area where there are lots of artsy types, and a lot of my jewelry, both rings and earrings, could be viewed as "creative" rather than "classic." My wedding set is a Van Craeynest design, and most people here have never seen anything like it, or like the AVC. I recently started wearing my new JbEG Bella set with a pink spinel, and that's attracted quite a bit of attention, too--again, because I don't think it's what most people here are used to seeing.

Gypsy, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Dust to her, and to you.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes.
i know the person is indeed a jewelry junkie if they notice my spess.
usually they notice my australian forest jasper. or my silver sand dollar......
what they notice tells me a lot about them.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, actually! Just the other day the guy at my favorite take out place shielded his eyes and said "That rock is blinding me!" :cheeky: I get random compliments and my one coworker loves to try it on. She has the same ring size as me but much smaller hands and shorter fingers so it looks super huge on her!

I have a 1.5 carat radiant in a halo with baguette side stones, and it's a pretty blingy setting and has a big presence on my hand. If I ever got a bigger center stone I would definitely set it in a simpler setting so it wouldn't draw too much attention.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get compliments quite often. I work in a family practice clinic so I see a lot of people every day. I have to say I get more compliments on my two spinel rings than I do my diamond. Maybe it's because people just don't see many colored gemstones.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I do get comments on my rings (e-ring and RHR) occasionally. I get more subtle looks without comments, though. Not sure what's up with that. :confused: There is one MD here at work in particular whose eyes always drift to my e-ring when she is talking to me, but she's never once asked about it/commented on it. I posted a thread awhile ago about complimenting other people's bling because I wanted to know whether people would be flattered or creeped out if I said something about their jewelry, as I can't help but notice beautiful jewelry on people. The answers were pretty mixed. I always compliment folks I know, but am a little wary of commenting on total strangers. If they look friendly, I will say something, but if they look like they'd give me the stink eye, I just admire from afar. :lol:

I get a lot of questions about my stack. Everyone wants to know why I have 4 rings, so I have to explain the significance of each one. And when I mention that one of them is a spacer I get all kinds of blank stares. Same thing when I tell them that my stone is an Asscher.

Gypsy - I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I will send healing dust her way!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I get comments on my ering occasionally. Usually by older women in my office. Luckily, I've only had positive comments. Once I did have a man behind the counter of a hotel, very loudly complement my ring. I think every guest who was checking in turned to have a look and I was extremely embarrassed.
I have two girlfriends who enjoy diamonds (not quite as much as me) and they always compliment my rings when I see them. They are the only ones who noticed my upgraded studs, besides my mother.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. My coworkers often comment on it blinding/distracting/mesmerizing them if we are in a meeting in one of the rooms with bling-friendly lights, but they were with me during the process so it's sort of like a ... department mascot?

My students sometimes comment on it as I wave my hands around a lot as I teach, usually along the lines of "wow your husband really loves you" or "damn gurl that is a ROCK" depending on the personal style of the commentator :lol: I also wear it with a white gold miligrained floral stamped band in between my YG w-band and my YG e-ring, so it's a lot of real estate, and it's a pretty and interesting look (IMO) which is different than the cookie-cutter princess cut w/ melee/pave WG rings that everyone here has. It's an OEC cut with a visible cutlet so people sometimes notice that it's not a traditional RB, which sometimes initiates a discussion.

Ninja edit: Sometimes I have older women comment on it because it's yellow gold and their sets are too, and we talk about metal trends, etc, and I get to hear their adorable stories of their meeting/proposal/marriage with their husbands. One woman in my class with a YG set has been married for 27 years! :appl:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Hardly ever. Lots of surreptitious glances on the tube. Betcha 90% of them think it's fake.

Almost every single person who has asked about my ring has asked if it's real first. ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I'll be thinking of your grandmother tonight. I hope all is well tomorrow - you've posted before about how much she means to you. I've been fortunate never to have encountered Alzheimers and I can only imagine how difficult, and confusing, and bittersweet your time with her must be :(sad

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Galateia|1334257865|3169438 said:
Yes. My coworkers often comment on it blinding/distracting/mesmerizing them if we are in a meeting in one of the rooms with bling-friendly lights, but they were with me during the process so it's sort of like a ... department mascot?

My students sometimes comment on it as I wave my hands around a lot as I teach, usually along the lines of "wow your husband really loves you" or "damn gurl that is a ROCK" depending on the personal style of the commentator :lol: I also wear it with a white gold miligrained floral stamped band in between my YG w-band and my YG e-ring, so it's a lot of real estate, and it's a pretty and interesting look (IMO) which is different than the cookie-cutter princess cut w/ melee/pave WG rings that everyone here has. It's an OEC cut with a visible cutlet so people sometimes notice that it's not a traditional RB, which sometimes initiates a discussion.

Ninja edit: Sometimes I have older women comment on it because it's yellow gold and their sets are too, and we talk about metal trends, etc, and I get to hear their adorable stories of their meeting/proposal/marriage with their husbands. One woman in my class with a YG set has been married for 27 years! :appl:

My original was a YG set and I'm coming up to 27 years... :wink2:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy - dust to you and your grandma! I hope all goes as smoothly and calmly as time, love and medical care can carry it. My grandmother was also the most precious person on the planet, to me too. I know how you are feeling... thinking of you at this time. Please come back and let us know the positive outcome :halo:

RedheadDoll

Rough_Rock
I own a retail store and I have mostly female customers. I always compliment women on their gorgeous rings! Hopefully, they take it as a compliment. I guess I am just anxiously awaiting my own engagement!!! Maybe I notice other women's rings because I am pining for my own (which is purchased but not yet on my finger!).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do get compliments. Lots of them are from my classmates. Probably because most are younger than I am so it stands out. Sometimes strangers comment as well but I don't wear my e-ring as often anymore.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I get a lot of "wow that rock is blinding me" type of comments from my coworkers because I work in a very "young" type of company, and most of the "kids" are single or with small engagement rings.
However, I live in south OC, where it's pretty affluent, and no one really comments about the size or sparkle. I see people with bigger centerstones all the time.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your kindness everyone. I'm pretty sure things are at the end. I said my good byes today, and it was hard as expected. We're going to keep her hooked up to thing for a few days hoping she'll improve but even then quality of life would be an issue unless it's a pretty huge recovery. So we'll see. Your support, caring, dust and prayers are very much appreciated. I'm a bit drained right now. I keep thinking of things to do but can't really muster up any energy to do any of them. Life is strange.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
rest and take care of yourself Gypsy. Your mind will be in a tormoil now. Just let the thoughts flow.

Thinking of you dear Gypsy - big hugs sent to you thru the miles :halo:

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
One of my husband's SILs creeps me out when we are together because she is always oogling my ring but trying not be obvious about it. There have been times though, when she interrupts conversations we are having to comment on my ring and several times she has asked to try it on, even though it is too small on all her fingers. I am flattered for the most part, and often amused, but sometimes I detect something in her tone that makes me uncomfortable. She got married after I did so I have never not had this ring all the years I have known her, and yet, even decades later she still has an odd attitude regarding my engagement ring.
My ring only sometimes gets commented on now. When I first got engaged though, it did get a fair bit of attention.

On a more serious note: my thoughts and prayers are with you and your Grandma, Gypsy. I know you don't know me and I am new to Pricescope but I just wanted to reach out to you as I miss my grandmothers very much even though they have been gone for many years.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results