shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I Keep or Return This Garnet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
The "Mandarin" (that''s for you, TL
2.gif
) Spess Garnet from Gemline that I debated in this thread has arrived, and I am conflicted. The "issues" that I thought I might have with it turned out to be unnoticeable.

I welcome your HONEST opinions on this stone. I have a ten day consideration period for return.

Previous issues were: Concern about the dark line ("Eye of Sauron") in center, and some people were disconcerted about the color quality.
IRL: Dark line rarely shows, and only in very few pictures which are highly macro. Normal eye viewing is nada. Color quality is not the bright "mandarin", but I am fine with that -- actually, this coloring suits my skin tone and is a great fall coppery pumpkin. Love the color. Some good fiery flashes.

NEW issues upon receipt: Love the color . . . if only it was constant and always evident. I''m guessing this is the "zoning" I''ve heard about? This is my first spess garnet, and first oval.

If I do keep it, I have an additional issue pertaining to my payment to GemLine, but we''ll get to that if I don''t get a resounding chorus of "RETURN, WOMAN, RETURN!!!!".

Many pictures of all angles and lighting to follow for full example. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR HONEST OPINIONS.

Merci!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Inside. Indirect lighting, straight out of the box. You can see some blocking of color already.

FPP-Spess01.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Slightly different orientation, still indirect lighting from a full window two feet away.

FPP-Spess02.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Holding it up in some bright sunny light coming in through the window, kept the shadow in on purpose. Starting to be "hmmmm, that''s a lot of dark area in this stone".

FPP-Spess03.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Did the hand-cupping that I've seen others do. (You're also seeing a little fuzz from handling.)

FPP-Spess04.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Half and half, still indirect light.

FPP-Spess05.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Starting to wonder if maybe a fairly open, prong setting, could cut out some of the zoning, if that''s what this is.

FPP-Spess06.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Take it outside in direct sunlight, get some flash.

FPP-Spess07.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Coloring over the rest of the stone is a little more even, but dark. Plus one side of flash. Still outside in direct sun.

FPP-Spess08.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Now some halogen lighting that has worked really well with my asschers in the past.

FPP-Spess09.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Fiery, I''m going to let the others get technical about the zoning/blocking, but I''m just not feeling it with that stone. There''s a lot of brown, and not much else going on to make up for it. It sounds like you''re not completely loving it either - I''d go with your gut instinct, and not try to talk yourself into liking it more. There will be lots of other stones - don''t settle.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Last shot. Still halogen. The vendor must have miracle lighting and photography b/c there is no way I can replicate the way the stone looked on the site. I''m fine with the coloring . . . I like this coloring even better, in fact. But . . . I wish the stone kept a constant color. But maybe this is something normal for the material or cut?

FPP-Spess10.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really like it...kinda dark and brown..

In terms of constancy, I've had even well cut garnets be kind of fickle on me, so it might not necessarily be a problem of cut.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm . . . I keep wondering if it''s something that could be solved, made more even, by putting it into a setting where it wouldn''t be smashed up against my hand or a paper. This is what I''d been planning on doing with it initially. Or am I just trying to give it too much credit?

FPP-TrippsOvalSetting.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fiery- I vote return, the color is very "blotchy" perse, it doesn''t sound like you like it either, and your making excuses to see if somehow its going to recover from the setting...lol but it also looks a bit dark, which I don''t mind if the color is more uniform.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think perhaps this would be a better stone? The picture shows like it might have a lot of brown, and the cut looks a bit offcenter, but I''m wondering if that''s mostly unfortunate photography. The video looks more promising. What do you think?

FPP-PISpess.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
If you are questioning the purchase then you should probably return it- though I am with you- i LOVE the color!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FPP,
I don't know what you paid for the stone, but that color should be very inexpensive if it's as brown as it is showing up on my monitor and with that much extinction in sunlight. I don't consider that a pure orange, but more like brownish orange. Again, your camera might not be picking up the true color. If you like brown, and you're happy with the color for what you paid, then keep it. I hope that helps, and it's definitely not "mandarin"
2.gif
. Just trying to be truthful and helpful, I hope you don't take offense. In the end it's you that must be fully happy with the purchase and the stone. A nice spessartite, whether it's mandarin or not, should look a bit like molten lava, or "hot to the touch."

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2009 6:14:21 PM
Author: D&T
also just wondering, maybe you already browse through Gene''s site Gem 706 is 8x6 is it to orangey? for you?

http://www.precisiongem.com/html/html/Garnet_Orange.html

Or this from John?

http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=246
Those two stones are definitely more on the yellow side of spessartite, which to some people is preferable than stones that are more on the brown side. Most spessartites have either some yellow or brown or combination of both.
1.gif
Basically, the more pure orange, the more valuable the stone. However, there are some brownish and yellowish orange spessartites that are quite beautiful. It''s just that you don''t want the brown or the yellow to overwhelm the orange in the stone.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
D&T -- Those are both lovely. Gene''s looks a little light, but then again this one looked lighter in the vendor pics too. VERY interesting shape! I really like John''s stone, I just wonder if the sugary effect is so obvious in person. And I''m worried it''s a little small. Do you know if either of them will hold a stone until I can get my refund for this one? It was a busy gem month and my allowance is worn out!
36.gif

TL, of course I don''t take offense . . . that''s why I added the wink.
2.gif
All in play and appreciation of honesty - that''s why we''re here! Half of me feels like the picture is dulling the color down a bit -- it''s not QUITE as dark as it''s showing -- there''s even a slight difference I sense between the picture, the same pic in photoshop, AND the same pic that is posted in this thread. (I have a monster 30inch monitor, so they''re all side by side.) Gosh, I''m loving the color actually, but not loving how half the stone is cast into a weird dark cloud.
39.gif
Think I''m just fighting too hard to make it right and trying to believe that I''m just inexperienced and this is how it should be. But . . . yeah, it''s getting boxed back up right now. Oh well. *sigh*

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2009 6:39:32 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
D&T -- Those are both lovely. Gene's looks a little light, but then again this one looked lighter in the vendor pics too. VERY interesting shape! I really like John's stone, I just wonder if the sugary effect is so obvious in person. And I'm worried it's a little small. Do you know if either of them will hold a stone until I can get my refund for this one? It was a busy gem month and my allowance is worn out!
36.gif

TL, of course I don't take offense . . . that's why I added the wink.
2.gif
All in play and appreciation of honesty - that's why we're here! Half of me feels like the picture is dulling the color down a bit -- it's not QUITE as dark as it's showing -- there's even a slight difference I sense between the picture, the same pic in photoshop, AND the same pic that is posted in this thread. (I have a monster 30inch monitor, so they're all side by side.) Gosh, I'm loving the color actually, but not loving how half the stone is cast into a weird dark cloud.
39.gif
Think I'm just fighting too hard to make it right and trying to believe that I'm just inexperienced and this is how it should be. But . . . yeah, it's getting boxed back up right now. Oh well. *sigh*
I know John will hold a stone for you, he's done that for me before, I did pick up a stone with bubbles or sugar like inclusions like you see here, and it did looked very magnify from the photo, I didn't see it IRL though, shoot John an email, he's very nice about it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2009 6:39:32 PM
D&T -- Those are both lovely. Gene's looks a little light, but then again this one looked lighter in the vendor pics too. VERY interesting shape! I really like John's stone, I just wonder if the sugary effect is so obvious in person. And I'm worried it's a little small. Do you know if either of them will hold a stone until I can get my refund for this one? It was a busy gem month and my allowance is worn out!
36.gif

TL, of course I don't take offense . . . that's why I added the wink.
2.gif
All in play and appreciation of honesty - that's why we're here! Half of me feels like the picture is dulling the color down a bit -- it's not QUITE as dark as it's showing -- there's even a slight difference I sense between the picture, the same pic in photoshop, AND the same pic that is posted in this thread. (I have a monster 30inch monitor, so they're all side by side.) Gosh, I'm loving the color actually, but not loving how half the stone is cast into a weird dark cloud.
39.gif
Think I'm just fighting too hard to make it right and trying to believe that I'm just inexperienced and this is how it should be. But . . . yeah, it's getting boxed back up right now. Oh well. *sigh*
I have seen that cushion in person, and you can see the inclusions, which is the problem with most spessartite from the Loliondo, Tanzania deposit, which is where this is from. However, the color is more orange, and may be more of what you're looking for. IRL, the gemrite cushion reminds me a great deal of this stone on ebay, but the ebay one seems less included. Not sure if you like hearts though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370179684484&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, D&T and TL!

Hmm, yeah, not so much a heart fan, that''s going in the right direction of color, but I''d go even darker orange. A nice coppery pumpkin.

What is your opinion of that ParaibaInternational stone I posted above? The picture isn''t too impressive, but the video improves my thoughts of it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2009 7:07:57 PM
Thank you, D&T and TL!

Hmm, yeah, not so much a heart fan, that''s going in the right direction of color, but I''d go even darker orange. A nice coppery pumpkin.

What is your opinion of that ParaibaInternational stone I posted above? The picture isn''t too impressive, but the video improves my thoughts of it.
I think the ParaibaInternational stone is way overpriced for that color, and again, too brown for me. If you like that color, then you can definitely find it for less money. Try looking at more reddish orange stones, I think that''s what you''re looking for if I''m reading you right. Did you see my spessartite asscher? That''s more of a reddish orange color.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 7:17:16 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Thank you, D&T and TL!

Hmm, yeah, not so much a heart fan, that's going in the right direction of color, but I'd go even darker orange. A nice coppery pumpkin.

What is your opinion of that ParaibaInternational stone I posted above? The picture isn't too impressive, but the video improves my thoughts of it.

I think the ParaibaInternational stone is way overpriced for that color, and again, too brown for me. If you like that color, then you can definitely find it for less money. Try looking at more reddish orange stones, I think that's what you're looking for if I'm reading you right. Did you see my spessartite asscher? That's more of a reddish orange color.

Hmmmm, actually your mandarin pear
here, the first two pictures, you see how it darkens slightly from the rest of the stone, in the upper left quadrant? That's more the territory I'm talking about . . . am I going for the brownish tint that makes it less valuable? lol, I don't mind that, I just want to be able to see the stone! The more reddish color somehow doesn't call to me as strongly. Oh well.

**ETA: That's not a flaw with your stone -- it's just a bit of shadow casting onto it . . . and not evident in the other pics. Re-read and didn't want you to think I was casting dispersion on your pear!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2009 7:25:30 PM

Date: 9/3/2009 7:17:16 PM

Thank you, D&T and TL!

Hmm, yeah, not so much a heart fan, that's going in the right direction of color, but I'd go even darker orange. A nice coppery pumpkin.

What is your opinion of that ParaibaInternational stone I posted above? The picture isn't too impressive, but the video improves my thoughts of it.

I think the ParaibaInternational stone is way overpriced for that color, and again, too brown for me. If you like that color, then you can definitely find it for less money. Try looking at more reddish orange stones, I think that's what you're looking for if I'm reading you right. Did you see my spessartite asscher? That's more of a reddish orange color.

Hmmmm, actually your mandarin pear
here, the first two pictures, you see how it darkens slightly from the rest of the stone, in the upper left quadrant? That's more the territory I'm talking about . . . am I going for the brownish tint that makes it less valuable? lol, I don't mind that, I just want to be able to see the stone! The more reddish color somehow doesn't call to me as strongly. Oh well.

**ETA: That's not a flaw with your stone -- it's just a bit of shadow casting onto it . . . and not evident in the other pics. Re-read and didn't want you to think I was casting dispersion on your pear!
A brownish or yellowish tint should make the stone less valuable per carat (all other things being equal - clarity, cutting, size) than a pure orange stone. The color in the left hand quadrant of the pear is what I call "Fanta-orange" color since it looks identical to a bottle of the Fanta orange soda. That's a very pure orange color, and very expensive. The brown in the stone is from the facet shadows. There is no brown in the stone itself.

I bet you would like this one.

http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=2568

ETA: No offense taken at all!!
9.gif
Besides I like honest opinions on my stones.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that IS "intense orange"! But a weeeee bit out of my allowance range. My husband maintains that he completed his jewelry duty when he bought an e-ring and a wedding band, so I have to go it alone.

I definitely understand why that color is highly -priced and -prized, but I find myself attracted to this much more, for that burning ember feel. Although, it almost seems like the dark black cloud is about to overwhelm the stone in just the same way as my little stone performed. Totally out of budget as well.

FPP-PISpessExample.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2009 8:19:15 PM
Wow, that IS 'intense orange'! But a weeeee bit out of my allowance range. My husband maintains that he completed his jewelry duty when he bought an e-ring and a wedding band, so I have to go it alone.

I definitely understand why that color is highly -priced and -prized, but I find myself attracted to this much more, for that burning ember feel. Although, it almost seems like the dark black cloud is about to overwhelm the stone in just the same way as my little stone performed. Totally out of budget as well.
That color shouldn't be that expensive. Believe it or not, I won one off of ebay in almost the identical color for $125, and it was almost three carats. It's a reddish orange color and like a burning ember in the sun.

I do take a bit of issue with PI calling these brownish stones "mandarin" garnet, as they are not that color at all.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 8:22:35 PM
Date: 9/3/2009 8:19:15 PM

Wow, that IS ''intense orange''! But a weeeee bit out of my allowance range. My husband maintains that he completed his jewelry duty when he bought an e-ring and a wedding band, so I have to go it alone.

That color shouldn''t be that expensive. Believe it or not, I won one off of ebay in almost the identical color for $125, and it was almost three carats. It''s a reddish orange color and like a burning ember in the sun.

Do you remember the vendor? eBay always scares me a little unless it''s a vendor other PS''ers have dealt with and can vouch for.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results