shape
carat
color
clarity

Mandarin Spess Garnet . . . Bowtie?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I''m looking at this Mandarin Spess Garnet, and wondering, is this too big of a bowtie?

Or, maybe I should ask, IS that a bowtie?

I''m rushing out the door, have done just a brief bit of forum searching, but want to confirm.

FPP-MandarinSpessGarnet.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Wondering if it''s something to dissuade me from buying -- but I think from the brief forum search that it''s sort of like inclusions -- some don''t mind them in certain ways while others avoid them like the plague. True?

Another pic.

FPP-MandarinSpessGarnet2.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I like it..gives it a cool look

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen far worse bowties - this one''s fairly narrow. What gives me pause is how dark it is, and if it were me, I''d definitely ask about it.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for chipping in, amguy and cellentani!

Yes, I wonder how obvious it is in real life. There''s another garnet, an Orissa Hessonite, that intrigues me b/c it''s described as appearing like a "burning ember" . . . but it has a whooole lot more dark and I wonder if it lends to the personality . . . but the burning ember part is sort of cool! Erm, maybe "cool" was the wrong term to use when talking burning embers. . .

(Can''t believe I''m saying that, as I''m Little Miss Everything-Must-Line-Up-And-Have-No-Inclusions!!!!)

FPP-BurningEmber.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bowtie looks small to me and it looks like the stone would be very sparkly.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Nothing that would worry me too much.

P. S. Hessonites are known to have quite a lot of inclusions, compared to most varieties - which doesen''t mean that they can''t be beautiful. Just thought you should know if you like your stones extra clear
1.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
that pic of the spess in hand looks like an eye..i think it''s real cool..err..um..hot looking:)..maybe like a "devils" eye spess. if i was to name it
21.gif

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Most ovels have bowties. That one isn''t bad, and the color is still great looking!
I love the second one! It really is like an ember. I want a spess like that.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I think most bowties tend to be significantly bigger. That''s a good looking spess, kinda looks like a snake''s eye. For some strange reason, I am attracted to the demon/monster/snake/ Eye of Sauron look in spess. Call it the geek in me.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
eye of sauron..thats what i was looking for..spot on litebrite..well done
1.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, wow. That spess is lovely! That small of a bowtie wouldn''t bother me, but do you think it would you?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the hess may appear dark because of over saturation which would bug the heck out of me more than that bowtie effect in that spess. the stone should be what you see peaking out from behind the dark spots.........inclusions or not.

mz

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for weighing in on the bowtie issue!

LOL @ amguy and litebrite . . . hmmmmm, don''t know if I ever would have thought "Eye of Sauron" before, but now I sure will.

LTP: Hmmmm, it''s hard to say. Think it''s something that has to be gauged in person. And . . . I''ve never been an orange girl, and I''m such a step-cut fanatic, that I think it says something that I kept coming back to . . . an orange oval. Totally playing against my type!

I bit the bullet and bought it yesterday . . . figured I might as well find out in person, and if it''s wrong, now I''ll know. At least, I think I bought it, because the website showed it as still available for hours afterwards. Now I''m paranoid. Maybe someone bought it before I did, and I "bought" it in the same lull before the website updated. Heh. We''ll see!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/29/2009 5:59:43 PM
Author:fierypyropixy
I''m looking at this Mandarin Spess Garnet, and wondering, is this too big of a bowtie?

Or, maybe I should ask, IS that a bowtie?

I''m rushing out the door, have done just a brief bit of forum searching, but want to confirm.
My issue with that stone is not so much the bow tie but the fact that it doesn''t look like a true mandarin orange spessartite garnet. It might end up having a bit too much brown in it when you see it in person by the appearance of the pictures, so I would just be concerned about that.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 7:29:51 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
My issue with that stone is not so much the bow tie but the fact that it doesn''t look like a true mandarin orange spessartite garnet. It might end up having a bit too much brown in it when you see it in person by the appearance of the pictures, so I would just be concerned about that.
And what may that be? A spessartine is defined chemically as a manganese- and aluminium- bearing silicate. "Mandarin" is but a trade name.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/1/2009 9:31:01 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 9/1/2009 7:29:51 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
And what may that be? A spessartine is defined chemically as a manganese- and aluminium- bearing silicate. ''Mandarin'' is but a trade name.
I''m strictly speaking appearances here, not chemical makeup. It doesn''t look like a bright orange. It looks like a spessartite, but not a "Fanta," "mandarin", or any tradename that indicates it''s a bright orange color.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Certain trade names are used so loosely that one wonders if they still have any meaning. "Mandarin" has been applied to stones with yellow and to stones with brown.

Fierypyropixy,
There are bright orange spessartites around, but clear pieces (as far as spessartites go) are well nigh impossible to find in the larger sizes. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
8.gif
I wouldn't worry too much about the bowtie, as long as you like the colour, "Mandarin" or not.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm . . . well, to be honest, I did not really know anything about spessartites of any sort when I decided to buy. I think saying that goes against a lot of the viewpoints on PS, because obviously we''re here to be educated buyers.

BUT, at the same time, I bought the stone simply b/c it caught my eye. Just found it interesting, at least to the point where I needed to see if it was so "interesting" in person. So there are no disappointments here -- I referred to it as "Mandarin" simply because that''s how Gemline decided to market it.
1.gif
Now I''m hoping I did not end up paying too much for what is considered a poor color, though.

I am very appreciative that we have experts like you on this forum -- even though I am not in it with an investment perspective, hopefully those who are won''t fall prey to false advertising!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 10:30:47 PM
Author: Harriet
Certain trade names are used so loosely that one wonders if they still have any meaning. ''Mandarin'' has been applied to stones with yellow and to stones with brown.

Fierypyropixy,
There are bright orange spessartites around, but clear pieces (as far as spessartites go) are well nigh impossible to find in the larger sizes. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
8.gif
I wouldn''t worry too much about the bowtie, as long as you like the colour, ''Mandarin'' or not.
Can''t offer a technical opinion, Harriet knows far better than I. But I wanted to chime in and say that I think Lisa Elser''s spessartite/mandarin/fanta/mid yellow and red stone is nicer than this one. Just on this particular occasion.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/2/2009 12:23:41 AM
Author: fierypyropixy
Hmm . . . well, to be honest, I did not really know anything about spessartites of any sort when I decided to buy. I think saying that goes against a lot of the viewpoints on PS, because obviously we're here to be educated buyers.

BUT, at the same time, I bought the stone simply b/c it caught my eye. Just found it interesting, at least to the point where I needed to see if it was so 'interesting' in person. So there are no disappointments here -- I referred to it as 'Mandarin' simply because that's how Gemline decided to market it.
1.gif
Now I'm hoping I did not end up paying too much for what is considered a poor color, though.

I am very appreciative that we have experts like you on this forum -- even though I am not in it with an investment perspective, hopefully those who are won't fall prey to false advertising!
Gemline is a very reputable firm, so if the stone disappoints once you see it in person, I have no doubt you'll have absolutely no problem returning it. That being said, if you love the stone, regardless if it's "mandarin" or not, then that's what counts the most. Of course, if you need our opinions, pictures are always welcome!!
31.gif

I recently purchased a spessartite that I wouldn't consider mandarin in color, but it's still beautiful. I guess I take issue with vendors calling every spessartite "mandarin." It is a tradename, but it is misleading since true "mandarin" colored spessartite does have a premium associated to the color. Many people prefer the darker shades of spessartite though. I hope your stone makes you very happy!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Alright, the stone has arrived.

I don''t like to make multiple threads for a stone, because I like to keep things condensed and for reference later.

BUT, I am conflicted --- and the funny thing is, the aspects which I THOUGHT would cause objection aren''t even an issue or noticeable.

But, I really need people to weigh in and help me here -- would I be better off starting a thread about "Is this a keeper or a return?"?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2009 3:13:37 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
Alright, the stone has arrived.

I don''t like to make multiple threads for a stone, because I like to keep things condensed and for reference later.

BUT, I am conflicted --- and the funny thing is, the aspects which I THOUGHT would cause objection aren''t even an issue or noticeable.

But, I really need people to weigh in and help me here -- would I be better off starting a thread about ''Is this a keeper or a return?''?
We love to see pictures, regardless of whether you require an opinion or not, so please feel free to post them. As for wanting honest opinions, please note that in your thread if you open a new one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be nice to start a new thread for those who haven’t been keeping up with this thread. I’m looking forward to pictures and your feelings about the spessartite.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 3:27:44 PM
Author: Chrono
It might be nice to start a new thread for those who haven’t been keeping up with this thread. I’m looking forward to pictures and your feelings about the spessartite.
Exactly -- I figured people might bypass the topic if they thought it was more weighing in on how it "could" be rather than how it is, too.

New thread time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results