shape
carat
color
clarity

Digital Camera Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I just bought an S5 IS and am loving it. I'm taking a digital photography class and it has all of the features I could ever want in a camera (for now). I thought about going with a DSLR, but figure I might "graduate" to one if I ever feel I need to. If I keep taking classes, maybe I'll get something more professional in a few years, but for now I'm happy!

P.S. I think they might be getting phased out soon? I know they are currently discounted--mine was only $300 at Circuit City. I started looking at them a few months ago and couldn't find any under $350, then they went on sale for $330 at Circuit City and I bought one--I accidently lost it when I used it for the first time a few weeks later and then noticed that they are even cheaper now!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BUMP!
3.gif

I''ve been reading several digcam threads here, as well as doing research on other sites.

Based on Storms comments, as well as others'', I''m very interested in the G9 and the S5IS, but I''m wondering if there are other worthy alternatives? I have an A620 from a few years ago, which I love for it''s versatility (ability to do some manual adjustment, etc), love the flip LCD, and it''s very secure grip (I actually don''t care for the slim-line SD''s, as I like something more substantial in hand).

I love to take macro shots, flowers, and of course the kids and cats! I often wish I could get away with not using a flash with the A620 I have now, as I''d prefer the more natural light as opposed to the harshness of a flash. The A620 does NOT have IS, but I''m not sure how much the new IS tech compensates for that blurriness in lower lights (not what I consider low light, but the camera thinks so!).

Reading some of the reviews of the A-series on places like Steve''s Digicam, many of them seem quite nice, but I''m wondering if Storm or any other of you camera aficionados have any experience or opinions on these models, as they don''t get mentioned often. I have a Canon, and I like it, and I''m seeing a trend here for a Canon preference!

How useful is the new face-recognition software?

My wish list: more optical zoom than I have now, which is 4X; maintain good macro, decent / non-grainy video with audio, good low-light / non-flash pics with no blurriness; megapixels don''t really matter as I''ll never print a poster! I like the option of manual adjustment, as I do like to tinker a bit, but honestly what I use the most now are the presets on my A620 (portrait, foliage, sometimes a few others).

Thank you all!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2008 3:57:12 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I just bought an S5 IS and am loving it. I'm taking a digital photography class and it has all of the features I could ever want in a camera (for now). I thought about going with a DSLR, but figure I might 'graduate' to one if I ever feel I need to. If I keep taking classes, maybe I'll get something more professional in a few years, but for now I'm happy!

P.S. I think they might be getting phased out soon? I know they are currently discounted--mine was only $300 at Circuit City. I started looking at them a few months ago and couldn't find any under $350, then they went on sale for $330 at Circuit City and I bought one--I accidently lost it when I used it for the first time a few weeks later and then noticed that they are even cheaper now!
There could be a couple of things contributing to the price drop and I am not 100% sure on either. There have been rumors that Canon will be releasing the S6IS soon, which would be the upgrade to the S5IS. Also, I have heard that Circuit City is going out of business, which could also be why they have lowered the price.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 11:59:38 AM
Author: ecf8503
BUMP!
3.gif

I've been reading several digcam threads here, as well as doing research on other sites.

Based on Storms comments, as well as others', I'm very interested in the G9 and the S5IS, but I'm wondering if there are other worthy alternatives? I have an A620 from a few years ago, which I love for it's versatility (ability to do some manual adjustment, etc), love the flip LCD, and it's very secure grip (I actually don't care for the slim-line SD's, as I like something more substantial in hand).

I love to take macro shots, flowers, and of course the kids and cats! I often wish I could get away with not using a flash with the A620 I have now, as I'd prefer the more natural light as opposed to the harshness of a flash. The A620 does NOT have IS, but I'm not sure how much the new IS tech compensates for that blurriness in lower lights (not what I consider low light, but the camera thinks so!).

Reading some of the reviews of the A-series on places like Steve's Digicam, many of them seem quite nice, but I'm wondering if Storm or any other of you camera aficionados have any experience or opinions on these models, as they don't get mentioned often. I have a Canon, and I like it, and I'm seeing a trend here for a Canon preference!

How useful is the new face-recognition software?

My wish list: more optical zoom than I have now, which is 4X; maintain good macro, decent / non-grainy video with audio, good low-light / non-flash pics with no blurriness; megapixels don't really matter as I'll never print a poster! I like the option of manual adjustment, as I do like to tinker a bit, but honestly what I use the most now are the presets on my A620 (portrait, foliage, sometimes a few others).

Thank you all!
I do not have any alternative camera suggestions for you, but have you had a chance to post your question on the Steve Digi camera forum? It is quite possible that there are people on this forum who might have suggestions for you, but that site has several camera enthusiasts who might be able to help as well.

Given your wish list, S5IS and G9 models are probably good options for you, as you will get a decent zoom out of either and solid macros. In a previous post, Strm mentioned that the G5IS is not the best in low light situations (same goes for most non dSLRs), so you might want to look into the flash he suggested. I do not believe the G9 has a hot shoe for a flash, perhaps the G10 will. With either, you would be able to tinker, and they do have presets as well. I have read there is a bit of a learning curve with the G9. I suggest you go to a camera store and play with them, as it could come down to which ever feels best to you. What is your budget? I have the seen the S5IS go for the $300 - $350 range. The G9 is around $500, which seems to be more compact than the S5IS and seems to also provide images closer to a dSLR, however, the price seems a bit high to me considering you can buy an entry level dSLR for not much more.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2008 4:13:20 PM
Author: omieluv
Date: 8/6/2008 11:59:38 AM

Author: ecf8503

BUMP!

I do not have any alternative camera suggestions for you, but have you had a chance to post your question on the Steve Digi camera forum? It is quite possible that there are people on this forum who might have suggestions for you, but that site has several camera enthusiasts who might be able to help as well.

Given your wish list, S5IS and G9 models are probably good options for you, as you will get a decent zoom out of either and solid macros. In a previous post, Strm mentioned that the G5IS is not the best in low light situations (same goes for most non dSLRs), so you might want to look into the flash he suggested. I do not believe the G9 has a hot shoe for a flash, perhaps the G10 will. With either, you would be able to tinker, and they do have presets as well. I have read there is a bit of a learning curve with the G9. I suggest you go to a camera store and play with them, as it could come down to which ever feels best to you. What is your budget? I have the seen the S5IS go for the $300 - $350 range. The G9 is around $500, which seems to be more compact than the S5IS and seems to also provide images closer to a dSLR, however, the price seems a bit high to me considering you can buy an entry level dSLR for not much more.

Thanks for the reply! Yes I do plan to go see them in person. As I said before, I do like the feel of the A-series and equivalent body styles, as I like the security of the grip. But, as a mom on the go, the camera ends up in the diaper bag, so it needs a little durability yet still be compact.

Storm also talked briefly about the MP vs the size of the sensor - the LITERAL size of the sensor? Like in inches? I''ve seen 12mp on sensors the same physical dimensions as an 8mp, so I''m wondering if the high mp/small sensor is the issue he was eluding to.

I am also trying to be realistic about which features I am actually using in my A620, as it does have a good amount of manual control in addition to the auto / preset. I''m finding that I just don''t use them as much as I thought - usually I grab it and snap - which works fine, so maybe I don''t need the extensive manual options right now (maybe in a few years...).

As far as Circuit City, they have renamed to "The City" and recently opened a new store very near me. Don''t know about going out of business though. Hmm.

Thanks - and I''ll keep reading, learning, and I''ll check back here often!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results