shape
carat
color
clarity

Digital Camera Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
I think its time for me to buy a new digital camera! Since *hopefully* I''ll have a shiny new something to take pictures of within the year- I thought I''d ask you guys what digital cameras you have that take good ring pics!

I want it to be a small, thin camera that I can carry around with me with a large viewing screen. Other than that- any advice is happily accepted! Thanks in advance
1.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Popular cameras on PS
Canon SD850 IS (this seems the most popular)
Canon PowerShot SD870 IS
Canon Powershot SX100 IS
Canon A710IS
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS

Here is a list of top rated cameras from that DigiCam site I visit:

Ultra Compact (Pocketable)
Samsung L210
Pentax Optio M50
Nikon Coolpix S210
Sony Cyber-Shot W150
Canon Powershot SD1100 IS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS3
Canon Powershot SD790 IS
Sony Cyber-Shot T100
Sony Cyber-Shot T200
Sony Cyber-Shot W120
Canon Powershot SD770 IS
Casio Exilim EX-Z77
Canon Powershot SD750
Casio Exilim EX-Z1080
Sony Cyber-Shot W200

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for that info...

What do I need to be looking for in the camera specs that I know will take close up shots that aren''t blurry. How much zoom is recommended? Any other things to be on the lookout for?

I am camera illiterate! Any help would be great!
1.gif

ucdcows

Rough_Rock
I own a couple of Canon Digicams and I love them! My sister has the SD750 and my friend has the SD850 and they both take great pictures, especially close up pictures (the 850 is a little better than the 750). Plus, they''re small and compact with a huge screen. If you have a best buy or a circuit city nearby, I would definately head over there and try out their Macro modes and play with the camera even if you decide not to purchase from them. Hope this helps!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I bought my Sony cybershot because consumer reports recommended it. They currently HIGHLY recommend the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W200, which is fairly thin. I get very good up close shots with my lower quality cyber shot (it is a few years old), for example, here is a pic of my E-ring I took with it:
finger%20parasite.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i have the canon sd 630. i am looking to buy the sd 850. i absolutely LOVE that camera.
LOVE.

this weekend we had a houston gtg that i attended. i brought my 630 and the other two ladies had the 850. well, the second i took out my camera to use it, the macro wasn''t working. i''ve had this problem before and brought it in to be fixed. basically the camera doesn''t focus and doesn''t become clear for the macro. it remains blurry. i was SO bummed. here i was, diamonds galore in front of me and a wonky camera. BOO. so, alj. kindly lent me her 850her''s ROCKED. it took pictures effortlessly. want arrows? boom, you''ve got em. i think it''s because of the image stabilization. it makes a HUGE difference. you can be quick and shaky and the camera will still take a clear & crisp pic. even when my camera was brand spankin'' new, it didn''t take pics as nicely and easily as hers.

i believe alj. said that the 850 is on sale right now at macy''s. i know there are newer cameras out now, but that''s the camera i am going to get. hands down.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 1:16:20 PM
Author: GoingCrazy29
Thanks for that info...

What do I need to be looking for in the camera specs that I know will take close up shots that aren't blurry. How much zoom is recommended? Any other things to be on the lookout for?
You want to buy a camera that has a "macro" setting. The macro feature will let you get fine detail shots, which are posted quite often on this forum. Image stabilization (IS) is also very helpful. Megapixels (MP) is another term you will run across when doing your search. Do not feel the need to base your decision off the amount of MP's in a camera. They are important if you plan to print photos larger than 5x7. You will also want to look at getting a good memory card too.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
SDL, you might want to consider getting a camera that you can buy lenses for then. Not sure what your budget is, but I believe you can add lenses to the Cannon S5, for not much money (and they are not huge). However, I think the S5 without adding lenses is pretty good. The zoom goes pretty far and the macro is good too. The only problem with camera's such as the S5 (AKA "superzooms") is that they cram a ton of megapixels into the camera without increasing the sensor size, leading to fuzzy pictures at ISO's over 200 (can be problematic when trying to capture a darker image against a bright background). Plus, the digital zoom switches to optical if you go out too far, which also can lead to 'noise' in the image.

Of course, you can always get into the DSLR's, which solve the sensor problem better and just take better pictures. However, the down side is typically cost and the fact they are not the type of camera you can just drop into your purse or pocket!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I have the powershot SD 870IS... this is the one they're selling now to replace the 850IS I believe.

I picked it based off of AmberGretchen's recommendation, she took some awesome ring shots with hers.. I also went in to best buy and tried it out and read all about it on cnet, new egg and amazon among other places. I like doing my research!

Anyways, fantastic camera, all the different shooting modes really make a difference. I almost bought a bigger cannon thinking the little ones just couldn't take the variety of shots I needed but this one can!

This camera has a big viewing screen as well, at 3".

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 2:30:57 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
How pathetic is it that I want the best camera with the best zoom AND best macro mode?
20.gif
9.gif
Canon g9 but its expensive.
canon s5is is second and better priced.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 2:37:47 PM
Author: omieluv
SDL, you might want to consider getting a camera that you can buy lenses for then. Not sure what your budget is, but I believe you can add lenses to the Cannon S5, for not much money (and they are not huge). However, I think the S5 without adding lenses is pretty good. The zoom goes pretty far and the macro is good too. The only problem with camera''s such as the S5 (AKA ''superzooms'') is that they cram a ton of megapixels into the camera without increasing the sensor size, leading to fuzzy pictures at ISO''s over 200 (can be problematic when trying to capture a darker image against a bright background). Plus, the digital zoom switches to optical if you go out too far, which also can lead to ''noise'' in the image.

Of course, you can always get into the DSLR''s, which solve the sensor problem better and just take better pictures. However, the down side is typically cost and the fact they are not the type of camera you can just drop into your purse or pocket!

The smaller sensors is why the smaller cameras take better macro pictures than the dslr.
When it comes to macro the dslr loses.

It is true that for all around use a DSLR is better but the DOF from the compacts wins for macro.
A friend of mine does small product photography for a living and has replaced his dslr with a g9 for that very reason.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 2:23:22 PM

Do not feel the need to base your decision off the amount of MP''s in a camera. They are important if you plan to print photos larger than 5x7.
They are also important if you want to crop after the fact without loss of image quality.
1.gif

However......you don''t need a ton of MP to do either. I had the Canon SD700 (6MP), and was quite happy with that. I''d still be using it if I hadn''t fallen off a set of bleachers with the camera and broken it!
7.gif

I bought the Canon SD850IS as a replacement, and it has been equally fantastic. I highly recommend it.

I know a few of the gals have taken the SD850 with them during jewelry shopping excursions, and they said several jewelers have actually bought the SD850 as well after seeing what it can do.
31.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband and I just bought new digital cameras three weeks ago. He bought the Canon PowerShot G9, and I bought the Canon PowerShot A 720 IS. We love them! Here are a few pictures I took with the PS A720 IS:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-of-a-beautiful-summer-day-in-maine.89270/ I''m not skilled in photography but I like how these came out.

We looked at a ton of sites (www.consumerreports.com, www.cnet.com, and www.myproductadvisor.com [to see what camera they recommended for us, depending on how we rated different features.]), just to name a few.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 3:29:26 PM
Author: Allison D.

Do not feel the need to base your decision off the amount of MP''s in a camera. They are important if you plan to print photos larger than 5x7.
They are also important if you want to crop after the fact without loss of image quality.
1.gif

However......you don''t need a ton of MP to do either. I had the Canon SD700 (6MP), and was quite happy with that. I''d still be using it if I hadn''t fallen off a set of bleachers with the camera and broken it!
7.gif

I bought the Canon SD850IS as a replacement, and it has been equally fantastic. I highly recommend it.

I know a few of the gals have taken the SD850 with them during jewelry shopping excursions, and they said several jewelers have actually bought the SD850 as well after seeing what it can do.
31.gif
Oh no! Are you okay?

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 3:03:22 PM
Author: violet02
I have the powershot SD 870IS... this is the one they're selling now to replace the 850IS I believe.
The 870 was actually a replacement for the 800.

Both the 800 and the 870 are different from the 850 because they offer wider angle and less zoom.

Range on the 800 and the 870 is effectively 28mm - 105mm.

Range on the 850 is 35mm-140mm.

All are great cameras; it just depends on what your primary style of photography is. If you use it more for travel photography (wide scenery shots, etc), the 870 is a better suited choice.

If you use it for family snapshots and want to capture more natural expressions, the fuller zoom of the 850 is a better suited choice.

The 850 is being phased out, so it's on sale at Macy's for a really reasonable price. They've announced earlier this year the release of the SD890IS, which I think might replace the 850 and add features.

The SD890 will have 5x zoom (instead of 4x, so up to 185mm instead of 140mm), and it also has a newly added motion detection technology that helps to reduce blurriness from subject movement.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 12:43:15 PM
Author:GoingCrazy29

I want it to be a small, thin camera that I can carry around with me with a large viewing screen. Other than that- any advice is happily accepted! Thanks in advance
1.gif
I have the Canon SD1000, and for small & thin, it may be hard to beat. Except that I read the 1100 is out now, and may be the newer version to check out.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 3:14:26 PM
Author: strmrdr
The smaller sensors is why the smaller cameras take better macro pictures than the dslr.

It is true that for all around use a DSLR is better but the DOF from the compacts wins for macro.
A friend of mine does small product photography for a living and has replaced his dslr with a g9 for that very reason.
Interesting, had not realized that until now. Thanks for the info! Is it possible to add a solid macro lense to a DSLR to get a similar result that you would get from a compact camera?

I have been agnonizing over getting an S5IS vs. G9 vs. going for the DSLR. The G9 seems like a compromise, but the price is still a bit high for me. I mean, I could get an entry level DSLR for the cost of a G9 and have more functionality (I would like to use it for more than just macro), but not sure if I want to invest in that yet...decisions...decisions.

Allison D - Thank you for adding the 'crop' factor too! :)

SDL - congrats on finishing your training! The S5IS is not a compact camera, so sorry about that.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 3:37:43 PM

Date: 7/28/2008 3:03:22 PM
I have the powershot SD 870IS... this is the one they''re selling now to replace the 850IS I believe.
The 870 was actually a replacement for the 800.

Both the 800 and the 870 are different from the 850 because they offer wider angle and less zoom.

Range on the 800 and the 870 is effectively 28mm - 105mm.

Range on the 850 is 35mm-140mm.

All are great cameras; it just depends on what your primary style of photography is. If you use it more for travel photography (wide scenery shots, etc), the 870 is a better suited choice.

If you use it for family snapshots and want to capture more natural expressions, the fuller zoom of the 850 is a better suited choice.

The 850 is being phased out, so it''s on sale at Macy''s for a really reasonable price. They''ve announced earlier this year the release of the SD890IS, which I think might replace the 850 and add features.

The SD890 will have 5x zoom (instead of 4x, so up to 185mm instead of 140mm), and it also has a newly added motion detection technology that helps to reduce blurriness from subject movement.
The SD890IS is out now and has 4x zoom, the same as the other two cameras (850 and 870).

Focal lenght diffs between the 3:
870: 4.6-17.33mm f/2.8-5.8
850: 5.8-23.2 f/2.8-5.5
890: 6.6-33.0mm f/3.2-5.7

I almost got the 890IS but it''s a lot pricier! I wasn''t aware that there was such a big diff between the 850 and the 870 but I''ve been using the 870 for macro shots and I took some pictures of friends, they turned out great. I''m not sure how big of an improvement on the photos the 850 is since I don''t have a side by side comparison to look at.

So do the other cameras just have the anti-shake capabitlity aka stabalization but the new one has something more? Like I said I would have bought it but pricey!

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 3:51:59 PM
Author: Regular Guy

Date: 7/28/2008 12:43:15 PM
Author:GoingCrazy29

1.gif
I have the Canon SD1000, and for small & thin, it may be hard to beat. Except that I read the 1100 is out now, and may be the newer version to check out.
I''ve got the new SD1100. Great for macro, but I prefer my fugifilm slr/digi for long distance shots. I''ve got a couple of cool pics in the "fire thread" if you want to see those taken with the sd1100.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 4:17:58 PM

The SD890IS is out now and has 4x zoom, the same as the other two cameras (850 and 870).

Violet, I think you''re confusing digital zoom with optical zoom. All of them have 4x digital zoom, but the 890IS has 5x optical zoom. You may want to take a look at it here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd890is.asp

Here''s the details from Canon''s press release:

Amstelveen, The Netherlands, 13 March, 2008: Canon today announces a powerful new addition to its Digital IXUS range of stylish compact cameras. The 10 Megapixel Digital IXUS 970 IS features a brand new 5x optical zoom lens – the longest ever zoom in the range – together with an enhanced version of Canon’s lens-shift type optical Image Stabilizer (IS).
The Digital IXUS 970 IS also features Motion Detection Technology, which works in tandem with IS to reduce blur caused by subject motion and camera shake.

Here''s a side by side comparison of the three according to specifications:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sd850is%2Ccanon_sd870is%2Ccanon_sd890is&show=all

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
To chime in - I've only ever had Olympus, and love them. I had the Olympus C-60 as my first digital, then the Stylus 830 which I liked, until I broke it in Mexico a month after getting it. But instead of getting it fixed (they said it wasn't covered by warranty!
8.gif
) I got the Stylus 1010. It's AMAZING. Seriously, everyone raves about the pictures I get and the camera. Plus, optical zoom has become sooo important to me - I get so many great pictures with it (1010 has a 7x optical zoom, 10.1 megapixels). It has a TON of settings to play around with too, if you're interested in that. The only downside is if you already have a camera that isn't Olympus, you'll have to buy a new memory card since Olympus uses xD, not SD cards. But that's my recommendation!

EDIT: Huge screen, VERY thin and portable

Olympus1010DigitalCamera4321.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 4:14:32 PM
Date: 7/28/2008 3:14:26 PM

Interesting, had not realized that until now. Thanks for the info! Is it possible to add a solid macro lense to a DSLR to get a similar result that you would get from a compact camera?

No the DOF is much narrower on the dslr

I have been agnonizing over getting an S5IS vs. G9 vs. going for the DSLR. The G9 seems like a compromise, but the price is still a bit high for me. I mean, I could get an entry level DSLR for the cost of a G9 and have more functionality (I would like to use it for more than just macro), but not sure if I want to invest in that yet...decisions...decisions.

the s5is is one of the best all around cameras available for anything but sports and low light shooting. Add a 430EX flash which you would want with a dslr too and it is decent in low light
Ideal would be a dslr and a compact and use them for what they are best suited to do.
The g9 is maybe a little better, a lot smaller, and a lot more expensive than the s5is.

Allison D - Thank you for adding the ''crop'' factor too! :)

SDL - congrats on finishing your training! The S5IS is not a compact camera, so sorry about that.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 10:29:13 PM

Date: 7/28/2008 4:17:58 PM

Violet, I think you''re confusing digital zoom with optical zoom. All of them have 4x digital zoom, but the 890IS has 5x optical zoom. You may want to take a look at it here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd890is.asp

Here''s the details from Canon''s press release:

Amstelveen, The Netherlands, 13 March, 2008: Canon today announces a powerful new addition to its Digital IXUS range of stylish compact cameras. The 10 Megapixel Digital IXUS 970 IS features a brand new 5x optical zoom lens – the longest ever zoom in the range – together with an enhanced version of Canon’s lens-shift type optical Image Stabilizer (IS).

The Digital IXUS 970 IS also features Motion Detection Technology, which works in tandem with IS to reduce blur caused by subject motion and camera shake.

Here''s a side by side comparison of the three according to specifications:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sd850is%2Ccanon_sd870is%2Ccanon_sd890is&show=all

Yup you''re right!

Now I''m starting to think I should have gotten the 850IS... although I thought the 870IS was the way to go. It takes great photos but I''m wondering if it won''t be as good for macro shots as I thought.
7.gif
I just got it recently so I have yet to take a ton of photos the one I have are nice though.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I just went through this same experience of trying to choose a camera.
I got the Sony Cynershot DSC T200, which I'm really happy with. I believe it may be superceded, but I'm not sure what by..
GoingCrazy, as you described it is very slimline and the entire back is the viewing screen, 3.5" LCD, which is a touch screen - no buttons except for the shutter and zoom.
I was unsure of this feature at first, but now I love it and couldn't imagine having one with buttons instead..
It is 8.1mp with 5x optical zoom and also image stabilisation - which I think is good to have, especially for macro.

I'm a total camera newb, but I find it really easy to get decent shots, both macro and normal.

here is a thread with my ring pics if you're interest, all taken with that camera https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wonderful-e-ring-upgrade-thankyou.89827/page-2

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone who replied! Your help is much appreciated!
9.gif
I love PS!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 3:45:38 AM

Yup you''re right!

Now I''m starting to think I should have gotten the 850IS... although I thought the 870IS was the way to go. It takes great photos but I''m wondering if it won''t be as good for macro shots as I thought.
7.gif
I just got it recently so I have yet to take a ton of photos the one I have are nice though.
No worries; the 870 does precisely the same work as the 850 on macro jobs.

Again, the difference I''m trying to explain is the width of the shot. The 870 takes wider shots (as mimics 28mm, which is WIDE angle), but only zooms to the equivalent of 105mm. The 850 doesn''t take as wide a shot (mimics 35mm on the low end), but it zooms closer.

So, if you''re standing at the Grand Canyon and trying to fit as much landscape into the photo as possible, the 870 is a better choice.

If you''re trying to zoom closer to the action at your kid''s soccer game, the 850 is a better choice.

They perform interchangeably on the macro setting, so you''re fine.

Hope it makes more sense now.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 3:06:56 PM
Canon g9 but its expensive.
Was planning to get this a few months ago but there are credible rumors that a G10 will be unveiled in September with new sensor technology. That would increase the discounting on the G9 even if you decide you don''t want the newer model. I would definitely be willing to trade some degree of macro performance for improved noise levels at higher ISO settings which I think is the next big improvement to be made in this sort of camera.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 12:41:50 PM
Author: elmo
Was planning to get this a few months ago but there are credible rumors that a G10 will be unveiled in September with new sensor technology. That would increase the discounting on the G9 even if you decide you don''t want the newer model. I would definitely be willing to trade some degree of macro performance for improved noise levels at higher ISO settings which I think is the next big improvement to be made in this sort of camera.
Thanks for the heads up on the G10, I just wonder how much that one will be! I think I would be willing to trade a reasonable level of macro in exchange for improved noise levels, as it would make it more versatile. Will have to wait and see though. This would be good news for people interested in the G9 for its macro abilities, as the price is likely go down once the G10 is released.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

Date: 7/29/2008 1:33:53 AM

Date: 7/28/2008 4:14:32 PM

I have been agnonizing over getting an S5IS vs. G9 vs. going for the DSLR.

the s5is is one of the best all around cameras available for anything but sports and low light shooting. Add a 430EX flash which you would want with a dslr too and it is decent in low light
Ideal would be a dslr and a compact and use them for what they are best suited to do.
The g9 is maybe a little better, a lot smaller, and a lot more expensive than the s5is.

I have strongly considered getting a compact + dslr, unfortunately, I do not have the budget now for both. The more I do hear about the S5IS, the more I am leaning in that direction however. I hear an upgrade to that camera is coming out soon, so I have been holding off to see what the new version is like.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/28/2008 3:29:26 PM

1.gif

7.gif

31.gif
I''m very grateful to Allison for recommending the SD850. I have one and I love it! She made me do it
2.gif
and I''m so happy she did! I can take pictures of absolutely anything now in very fine detail.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results