shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I make the right decision?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2009 4:01:05 PM
Author: packrat
Any thoughts on the spinel Swala has, and the cut Lisa''s doing? I don''t think I''ve ever seen a stone with that cut before, so I wonder how it looks.

I found a round on ebay I liked, but when I did a search of the seller (thaigemstore) on here they didn''t have good feedback, so I didn''t get it. It was a round between 6.5 and 7mm, and part of me just wanted to get it to have a size idea. I''ve got a sheet that shows all different shapes and sizes for comparison-but nothing matches up to what I cut out, and even on the chart, the pictures don''t seem to match up to what they say they are. Too confusing.
Thaigemstore enhances their photos and videos. Smart move not to go with them.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2009 4:01:05 PM
Any thoughts on the spinel Swala has, and the cut Lisa''s doing? I don''t think I''ve ever seen a stone with that cut before, so I wonder how it looks.

I found a round on ebay I liked, but when I did a search of the seller (thaigemstore) on here they didn''t have good feedback, so I didn''t get it. It was a round between 6.5 and 7mm, and part of me just wanted to get it to have a size idea. I''ve got a sheet that shows all different shapes and sizes for comparison-but nothing matches up to what I cut out, and even on the chart, the pictures don''t seem to match up to what they say they are. Too confusing.
Packrat- I''m betting you don''t have any loose stones to check out right? hmmm, do you think you can go to local shop and ask to check out some gemstone for reference of size? If you want, I have an 8mm round portuguese peridot and a 7mm asscher tourmaline that I sure want to help you out for some reference in size- and send them your way for a peek
1.gif
.... I haven''t set them yet its gonna be a while anyways

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL, that blue is awfully pretty! I''d like a little more lavender but I sure do like the blue! Bit large tho haha, would never see my finger again!

We''ve got a small jewelry store here in town. I didn''t think to ask if they have any loose stones to look at. Do they let you do that? I tried on some rings but the expectation of me being there to buy something is a bit disconcerting. I should just go back down and say I''m not here to buy, but can you pull out some colored stone rings in these mm sizes?

I don''t know what''s up with my sizing chart. Some of the pictures look to be a full mm off. Like the 11 mm trillion goes to the 10mm line. My little squares I cut out are 6-10mm and none of them match my dumb chart-mine are all bigger, so it looks to me like I want a smaller stone, but the chart tells me different. Hmph. I''ve been putting the 6 inside the 8 to simulate a bezel, I''m guessing it would add 2mm..and putting the 7 piece inside the 9. Cripes, does my analness know no bounds?

D&T that would be awesome if you could do that! How totally sweet and helpful!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, the cut on the other one..Lisa said the rough has a veil, so she''s doing a cut that doesn''t have a table. She did send me a pic of a tanzanite with that cut. She already had it lined up to cut this next week, so when I emailed her and she told me that, it made me laugh, b/c I''d just happened to stumble across her name on here-maybe it fate haha!

tanznotablecut.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does she have another picture of that stone? I''m seeing a lot of extinction in that tanz....

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2009 5:12:19 PM
TL, that blue is awfully pretty! I''d like a little more lavender but I sure do like the blue! Bit large tho haha, would never see my finger again!

We''ve got a small jewelry store here in town. I didn''t think to ask if they have any loose stones to look at. Do they let you do that? I tried on some rings but the expectation of me being there to buy something is a bit disconcerting. I should just go back down and say I''m not here to buy, but can you pull out some colored stone rings in these mm sizes?

I don''t know what''s up with my sizing chart. Some of the pictures look to be a full mm off. Like the 11 mm trillion goes to the 10mm line. My little squares I cut out are 6-10mm and none of them match my dumb chart-mine are all bigger, so it looks to me like I want a smaller stone, but the chart tells me different. Hmph. I''ve been putting the 6 inside the 8 to simulate a bezel, I''m guessing it would add 2mm..and putting the 7 piece inside the 9. Cripes, does my analness know no bounds?

I just sent off a message to the admin to see what they will say if we can communicate then I''ll definitely send those stones your way
1.gif
if not maybe you can try to find me on Ebay...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2009 5:42:14 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Does she have another picture of that stone? I''m seeing a lot of extinction in that tanz....

Is that what the blackness is? I can ask and see!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2009 6:15:26 PM
Author: D&T
Date: 8/8/2009 5:12:19 PM

I just sent off a message to the admin to see what they will say if we can communicate then I''ll definitely send those stones your way
1.gif
if not maybe you can try to find me on Ebay...

Ok cool!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
packrat - Here is a lavender blue cushion spinel from Master Cut Gems. Link The picture isn''t great, but I''m wondering if it might be worth a look in person.

MasterCutGem5258.jpg

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Pack,
I found the email, it was called D&J Rare Gems, not D&R. I think he has won a lot of awards for his cutting.
It is worth taking a look; you never know.
Besides, there is a gorgeous huge orange spess on there that is too big for a ring, but it is so pretty. Their prices seem to be all over the place.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2009 6:51:58 PM
Author: Fly Girl
packrat - Here is a lavender blue cushion spinel from Master Cut Gems. Link The picture isn''t great, but I''m wondering if it might be worth a look in person.

D''you suppose they''d send me some more pictures to see the color a bit more clearly? The color I can see, I like! I browsed a bit whilst there, and there''s a round pale blue sapphire there that I loooove!

Pink-thanks for the heads up on the name-I''ll go check them out too!

D&T, I don''t think I''d make a very good detective..I tried to find you on ebay and alas, could not! Found some cute stuff for London tho..haha

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
deleted...
2.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a general question about the item. hehehe

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/9/2009 12:26:53 AM
9.gif

Glad you got some good stuff for London though, and I just answered you

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2009 12:35:09 AM
Author: D&T
Date: 8/9/2009 12:26:53 AM

9.gif

Glad you got some good stuff for London though, and I just answered you

I did too! Thank you again!
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like too much extinction in the Tanzanite and the spinel from Master Cut.
The one from Swala is very very light if that''s what you are really looking for though.
Be patient and take your time to analzye all the stones carefully since this is for an e-ring and not a RHR.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dangit, I was kinda hoping the dark areas were shadows on the Master Cut one. Would it be worth it to ask for extra pictures?

This is the sapphire I found there link Not part of my original plan, but I sure like it!

The Swala one is so light, and I do want to have color. I''ll cross that one off the list.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2009 4:49:58 PM
Author: Chrono
Looks like too much extinction in the Tanzanite and the spinel from Master Cut.
The one from Swala is very very light if that''s what you are really looking for though.
Be patient and take your time to analzye all the stones carefully since this is for an e-ring and not a RHR.
Just to say that some of the pictures at MasterCutGems are awful. I''d e-mail them for more information if you think you might be at all interested.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FlyGirl,
I have heard conflicting reports about MCG:
1. The pictures are worse than the stones
2. His stones look just like the pictures.
Packrat,
If you are local (in the US), it might be worth it to order the stone you are interested in to see it in person since returns will not be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results