shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I make the right decision?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gene sent me a picture of the rough, and the color is so pretty. He''d mentioned it would best be a trillion, but might be able to get a cushion. The rough *looks* like a trillion, and I wondered, if he was going for a cushion, once he got in there cutting, what if it ended up smaller than I wanted? He had some rough that was the lavender pink rather than the lavender blue I covet, and they were in the picture too-much bigger and he said they would cut 7-8mm, but the other color is what I''m after, argh! So..in the end..I passed on it b/c I didn''t want to take a chance on the rough not being big enough to get the size I want.

Was that totally stupid of me? I''ve a hard time making decisions and not second guessing myself afterwards..just in case nobody noticed hahahaha!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 8:01:01 PM
Author:packrat
Gene sent me a picture of the rough, and the color is so pretty. He''d mentioned it would best be a trillion, but might be able to get a cushion. The rough *looks* like a trillion, and I wondered, if he was going for a cushion, once he got in there cutting, what if it ended up smaller than I wanted? He had some rough that was the lavender pink rather than the lavender blue I covet, and they were in the picture too-much bigger and he said they would cut 7-8mm, but the other color is what I''m after, argh! So..in the end..I passed on it b/c I didn''t want to take a chance on the rough not being big enough to get the size I want.

Was that totally stupid of me? I''ve a hard time making decisions and not second guessing myself afterwards..just in case nobody noticed hahahaha!
So let me get this straight.

Choice 1: Color you want, but will yield a smaller stone.
Choice 2: Color you don''t really want, but it will yield a bigger stone.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
This is the spinel that you''ve been looking for, right packrat? And you''re looking for lavender-blue, 7-8mm cushion? I know you had that other thread, but I''ve forgotten. Oh wait, I think I remember - Gene said you needed to commit if he was going to cut a cushion instead of a trillion because of the weight that would be lost, right? Yeah that''s a dicey one, but I think that was a wise decision. I know it''s hard to wait, but you don''t want the culmination of several months effort to be something you''re almost happy with.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes''m. So, I figured I''d just wait to find the color/size both that I want. Would you have just gone ahead since it''s the color?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 8:16:36 PM
Author: packrat
Yes''m. So, I figured I''d just wait to find the color/size both that I want. Would you have just gone ahead since it''s the color?
It depends on how happy you''d be with something smaller. I just passed on a couple of stones with gorgeous color because they weren''t the size I wanted, and I know I wouldn''t wear them.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
packrat: it''s your money, so you should be 100% satisfied. It sounds like you made the right decision!
2.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oops, sorry, I was replying to TL above and I forgot to quote her!

Cellentani, yep, lavender blue 7-8mm cushion, that''s me! He thought he could get 7mm out of it, but I know sometimes they run into stuff when they start, and if I had to commit and it was 6mm..I wondered if I would be unhappy.

Being my first stone, I think I''d like a little more breathing room or something. I should''ve gotten my heart set on a color that''s easier to come by!!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 8:36:26 PM
Author: QueenB29

packrat: it''s your money, so you should be 100% satisfied. It sounds like you made the right decision!
2.gif
ditto! Sounds like it wasn''t meant to be. Have you tried another cutter? Jeff? or maybe Michael E as well?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wait to get exactly what you want.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 8:44:58 PM
Oops, sorry, I was replying to TL above and I forgot to quote her!

Cellentani, yep, lavender blue 7-8mm cushion, that''s me! He thought he could get 7mm out of it, but I know sometimes they run into stuff when they start, and if I had to commit and it was 6mm..I wondered if I would be unhappy.

Being my first stone, I think I''d like a little more breathing room or something. I should''ve gotten my heart set on a color that''s easier to come by!!
lol!! I don''t think it''s bad at all to have your heart set on that color--- that was actually my color of choice in e-ring stone. then I came up with an acceptable range of lavender to blue that I would be happy with. if you don''t mind a teeny bit of wiggle room on your color preference, that might make it a bit easier to find "the one." (I''m trying really hard not to thread-jack, but I feel it might help..) the sapphire I''m in the process of purchasing is more at the blue end of my color range, but Jeff said it shifts a tad to the middle of my color range, a lavendery blue, indoors. I''ve decided I''m going to be perfectly happy with that (that, and his cutting looks absolutely superb!! I thought I liked it before the re-cut, but man, I''m totally in love now! lol)

I agree with some of the others--- you have your heart set on a particular color and size. wait it out. when you do find the one, it will be just that much more exciting because you''ll know that you passed over the ones that would have been "well, its nice but..." so you can get a gem that truly makes your heart sing. It will be sooooo worth it.

Hang in there-- I''ll be rooting for ya!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, you made the right choice. Don''t settle!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes it''s hard being patient when you really want something, but in the end you''ll be glad you waited. The thrill of the hunt continues!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I feel better now!

Kas, can''t wait to see your sapphire when it''s done-and don''t worry about threadjacking-I enjoy hearing other posters'' experiences! Color wise, I''ve saved pictures of spinels, sapphires and tanzanite that have the color range I like..some have a tish more powder blue, some a tish more lavender. I seem to like them all.

Dan and Jeff didn''t have anything, Peter thought he could maybe squeak 7mm, but then I think I run into the same "what if" as w/Gene. Eric Saul is looking and said he''d let me know. I happened upon Lisa Elser''s name in another thread, but haven''t contacted her yet..after that I don''t know who else to try, so might just have to sit back and wait a while!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey packrat- I''''m just curious, do like color changing spinel? blue to purple? like this?

colorchngespineldt0809.JPG

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s really pretty! Karree''s spinel changes color I think she said, and it''s one I saved pictures of for my color file!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of spinels colour shift; some more obvious than others. I’d wait for the right stone, colour, size and all. It’s going to be worth it!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
well done packrat..it''s easy to just jump into things but with that little shred of doubt you had you didn''t commit..better to wait for something better ..well..not really better but something exactly what you want. I am sure you would have been happy with what you got but not 100% perfect happy..hopefully the size and color stone will come walking through the door here soon
1.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe try Gary at finewater gems? He was really nice when I contacted him back in June about a sapphire. Although he didn''t have anything in the color/size/variety I was looking for, he did mention that he would keep an eye out. When I found out I wouldn''t be needing him to keep lookout, he was equally as nice. I didn''t see him on your list above (maybe I missed it?) but I would give it a shot... so maybe there was no sapphire for me.... but there could always be a lovely spinel just waiting for you
2.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! Gary didn''t have anything on hand but he said he''s going to Africa in November so would add me to the list of what to look for.

I''ve seen Wink mentioned in other threads..does he source stones too?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got that spinel from Michael at Gemshoppe and he cut it too. maybe he might have some spinel in stock for you

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
From my knowledge, Winfield''s (Wink) works with Richard Homer, and Palagems... if you e-mail Winfields someone is usually more than happy to help you search. I know in my search Melissa was extremely nice and informative.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
There is a father and son team in North Carolina. I cannot think of their name right now. I really like their work.
Did you check with them?
Maybe ask Amguy, he probably can remember their names, because he goes up there a lot. I remember they are in the mountains.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks D&T and Kas, I might just contact them later this afternoon!

I've been busy with my pen, ruler and scissors again. Does anyone know how much extra a bezel adds to the stone? Maybe I would end up needing to go with a tish smaller stone so my whole finger isn't covered.

ETA: Shoulda refreshed before I posted-Thanks Pink! I'll see what Gary and Lisa come up with and then ask Am if he remembers the names!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 1:18:16 PM
Thanks guys! Gary didn''t have anything on hand but he said he''s going to Africa in November so would add me to the list of what to look for.

I''ve seen Wink mentioned in other threads..does he source stones too?
Yes, he does. Wink has his own sources – Palagems, Richard Homer, John Dyer and more.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 3:27:08 PM
Author: Pink Tower
There is a father and son team in North Carolina. I cannot think of their name right now. I really like their work.

Did you check with them?

Maybe ask Amguy, he probably can remember their names, because he goes up there a lot. I remember they are in the mountains.

Are you thinking of Dana Reynolds at Master Cut Gems? I just purchased a few stones from them.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Yea for Kismet! I knew someone would remember their names.
Their work appears quite nice. What did you think?

Also, Pack, I have conversed with yet another cutter, I think from Tucson, and I think it is called D&R Rare Gems. He has some lovely work. I was interested in a color change sapphire he had, probably last year. He emailed me back and was quite honest about the stone. He did not think it was what I was looking for. So, I think you could ask him questions and get an accurate response. I seem to have deleted the correspondence, so hopefully you can find him with an internet search.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeez, it''s been a busy afternoon!

Eric found this one in their inventory: spinel I think I''d need to see more pictures tho..it seems almost white, or is that just my monitor?

Lisa has some rough that should do 7mm cushion, and this is the cut she wants to do. I resaved the picture and it saved it small I think, so not sure what size this will show. I did ask for pictures of the rough too.

lisacutdesign.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any thoughts on the spinel Swala has, and the cut Lisa''s doing? I don''t think I''ve ever seen a stone with that cut before, so I wonder how it looks.

I found a round on ebay I liked, but when I did a search of the seller (thaigemstore) on here they didn''t have good feedback, so I didn''t get it. It was a round between 6.5 and 7mm, and part of me just wanted to get it to have a size idea. I''ve got a sheet that shows all different shapes and sizes for comparison-but nothing matches up to what I cut out, and even on the chart, the pictures don''t seem to match up to what they say they are. Too confusing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 7:31:01 PM
Jeez, it's been a busy afternoon!

Eric found this one in their inventory: spinel I think I'd need to see more pictures tho..it seems almost white, or is that just my monitor?

Lisa has some rough that should do 7mm cushion, and this is the cut she wants to do. I resaved the picture and it saved it small I think, so not sure what size this will show. I did ask for pictures of the rough too.
If you want a stone that's almost devoid of color, then I would go with that spinel. Othersiwse, keep looking.

I think what you want is something more like this, but it's a bit large and rather expensive.

http://www.swalagemtraders.com/search-gems/detail.php?pid=701

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat- that spinel jhmo looks really light and looks like there is a lot of grey undertones (or maybe becuase its sitting on a gray counter) that it looks like that to me Not sure that I would make it my ering though, Just a thought, I don't have any cushions to comment on that cut? does she have any cushions with that cut that she can send you pictures of to see what your thoughts are?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results