shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond quality questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Janis

Rough_Rock
I already knew about color and clarity, but I have been learning more about cut, etc. since coming on PriceScope. I pretty much understand that I need to be looking at round ideal cut or hearts and arrows. But I am wondering, does polish and symmetry need to be ideal or excellent? What about very good? I am wondering whether these aspects are visible to the naked eye as long as it is very good or better.

My current diamond is an F color, but I''d like to go to G to get a little larger stone. Does anyone think that I would be able to tell much difference in an F and a G? How about an F to an H?

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a matter of opinion with the polish and symmetry. Many purchasers far prefer to go for Ideal or excellent in both, but some experts say that good symmetry is fine and can still produce pleasing results with optical performance. I have also heard that with polish, good and above will look the same to the untrained eye. I would think preferaby to shoot for the best symmetry you can, but don't disregard an otherwise fantastic diamond if it is excellent or very good.

Colour is a tricky one, it depends on the individual - at a guess you probably won't notice much if any difference between an F and a G especially when mounted but you might slightly with an F or an H when comparing side by side, but you may not.....H is a nice mid range colour which will still face up very white to most. The best thing would be to try to compare in person in a local jewellers. Bear in mind too that in going for a fantastic cut that any colour will look great. Colour is such an individual thing, one person out of 10 might be able to spot warmth in a G but the other nine may not, it depends what category you come under and how YOU perceive colour. Best to look in person to find your own comfort level. I love all diamond colour grades and have a special fondness for warmer colours but that might not be you . Hope this helps.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2006 2:19:10 PM
Author:Janis
I already knew about color and clarity, but I have been learning more about cut, etc. since coming on PriceScope. I pretty much understand that I need to be looking at round ideal cut or hearts and arrows. But I am wondering, does polish and symmetry need to be ideal or excellent? What about very good? I am wondering whether these aspects are visible to the naked eye as long as it is very good or better.

My current diamond is an F color, but I'd like to go to G to get a little larger stone. Does anyone think that I would be able to tell much difference in an F and a G? How about an F to an H?

Thanks!
Good questions Janis.

There are many beautiful configurations. For rounds the traditional AGS ideal parameters were used as a guideline. Over the years a more narrow range was settled on by elite-minded enthusiasts and sellers as most consistent. Now the AGS has switched to performance grading (rather than strict proportions), which correlates better with that more narrow range, and now allows for some beautiful configurations with larger tables that may not have been 'ideal' previously. The GIA has just developed their own proportions based system. It has more latitude than the AGS system, but is still a good indicator of better than average proportions. My own opinion: I consider the HCA a more discriminating version of GIA's facetware (though it has a taste for shallow diamonds where the GIA has a taste for deep).

A great way to assess measurements is to put them forward for Pricescopers to discuss. You will get feedback a-plenty that way.

Polish and Symmetry: Studies have indicated there is not a visible difference between ID/EX and VG. Some naked eye experts could see differences between G and VG. The differences are matters of craftsmanship... Is it important to you for top-shelf polish and sym? You may not be able to see it but you'll know it's there (that matters for some).

Hearts & Arrows is also a matter of cut precision and craftsmanship. There is no doubt that H&A precision can improve light return in diamonds, but not all H&A diamonds are necessarily great performers. Great light return and great H&A are mutually exclusive - you can have one without the other. For that matter, there are no official standards for H&A diamonds, so sellers decide what they think is H&A and sell thusly. More info on H&A here.

Color (or colour as Lorelei spells it - I love that): Lorelei is spot-on correct about personal prefs. If you are making live comparisons in stores, be sure the diamonds you compare were graded by the same lab: Standards vary so one lab's G could be another's F or E. The GIA and AGS are considered the most strict. Face-up color can be improved by great cut, so a well-cut ideally performing H can appear a color grade or so higher. Here is a thread on J diamonds that may be of interest.

Janis

Rough_Rock
Thank you both!

John, I tried to call WhiteFlash this morning not knowing your office hours. I know I need to look at some real diamonds, but we live in a small town and it is just too difficult to go in, take up their time looking, and then buy online. I will eventually need them for polishing, but it won''t be as obvious that I rejected them for the purchase in the first place if I don''t go in now.

I really probably need to make a trip to Houston, but that is money that could go toward the diamond! I guess I''ll try to call next week and see what y''all can find for me. Our 30th anniversary is not until December, but I asked my husband if I could get my rings for Valentine''s Day and celebrate the whole year! Ha! Very creative thinking, don''t you think?

I am thinking of about a 1.4 to 1.5 ct., G, VS2, ideal cut, and I guess at least VG symmetry and polish. I think I just need y''all to email me some possibilities. The one closest to that on WF does not have the pictures, so maybe it is not an in-house diamond. Can I just send you a PM with my email address or should I go to the WF site and email from there?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Janis you won't go wrong with JQ and Whiteflash, they will find you an INCREDIBLE diamond!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
You do know that when you get it we will be salivating for pics don't you?
41.gif
Good luck and yes I ADORE the creative thinking of when to get your diamond, spoken like a true PSer!
36.gif
36.gif

BTW JQ, if you love the way I spell colour, here's more for you.

aluminium
mould
favour
savour
anaesthesia
humour

hehehe I can come up with some more if you want
41.gif
Sorry for the quick hijack Janis

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Janis,

A PM with email, name and phone number would be fine. If you check the email option in the PM it will come to me at my WF address.

Normal hours are M-F 9-6 PM Central Time USA - but we are not always normal.
1.gif
It never hurts to dial in, as it's toll-free and we often have someone available to answer after-hours.

Janis

Rough_Rock
I have no idea why it took me so long to find PS! I have always loved jewelry more than many of my friends, so it would have been fun to have been here for years (very expensive hobby, though!). It has been great entertainment looking at all the diamonds and rings on here (at least that part is free!). And I am so glad I learned more about cut before buying!

I''ll be sure to post my ring, but I am pretty traditional and will probably go with a plain solitaire setting with eternity band. I just want a beautiful diamond and for that to be the focus!

Janis

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/7/2006 3:09:41 PM
Author: Janis
Thank you both!

John, I tried to call WhiteFlash this morning not knowing your office hours. I know I need to look at some real diamonds, but we live in a small town and it is just too difficult to go in, take up their time looking, and then buy online. I will eventually need them for polishing, but it won''t be as obvious that I rejected them for the purchase in the first place if I don''t go in now.

I really probably need to make a trip to Houston, but that is money that could go toward the diamond! I guess I''ll try to call next week and see what y''all can find for me. Our 30th anniversary is not until December, but I asked my husband if I could get my rings for Valentine''s Day and celebrate the whole year! Ha! Very creative thinking, don''t you think?

I am thinking of about a 1.4 to 1.5 ct., G, VS2, ideal cut, and I guess at least VG symmetry and polish. I think I just need y''all to email me some possibilities. The one closest to that on WF does not have the pictures, so maybe it is not an in-house diamond. Can I just send you a PM with my email address or should I go to the WF site and email from there?
Hey Janis, I would also look into eye-clean SI stones because you''ll save money that way. Money you can sock away or put towards a larger stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results