shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond neckace advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ebmolldrem

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I''m getting married in July and would like to find an elegant, classy (and unique?) diamond necklace for my fiance to wear during our wedding ceremony. I''d like to keep it under $4k, if possible. Does anyone have any recommendations on where/what to buy in this range? Single diamond is fine... Her engagement ring is an ideal cut AGS000, 1.782 carat, F, VS2, platinum, so I would like to maintain the same quality (ideal cut) level in platinum.

Thanks for the help!
1.gif

Eric

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what style is the dress (in general) and what is the neckline like?

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Would you consider an antique-style necklace? IMO, it''s hard to get anything very unique with a solitaire necklace.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
If my fiance was spending $4K on a necklace for our wedding (you rock, by the way!), I would want this:
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/victorious/item/C4

ebmolldrem

Rough_Rock
Hmm.... it''s a white dress. lol.
2.gif
I''m not sure what it''s going to look like, but I''m expecting it will be clean, elegant, no frills, bows or anything like that. It may have a sexy plunging neckline
31.gif
. She carries the look well (a few of her photos were posted in my proposal thread).

She also likes sapphires a lot, so I could compliment a diamond with sapphires, or else get a really nice (and larger) sapphire in a platinum setting. Or else compliment a sapphire with diamonds...

Eric

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I love love love the look of sapphires with diamonds. My only concern would be that she might not want any color accents with her wedding day look. You could get a beautiful necklace by having an ideal cut diamond set into a halo like this:

83630.JPG

I''m sure Whiteflash could make this for you. I would find out how much a halo like this would cost, and then spend the rest on the center stone.

ebmolldrem

Rough_Rock
Wow, that''s a cool vintage piece ChooChoo. She likes antiques, but prefers a simple, classic style as opposed to something more flambouyant.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post a link to your proposal thread?

ebmolldrem

Rough_Rock
Our wedding colors are blue and white, so I think a sapphire or sapphire/diamond mix might work. We''re getting married at the ocean and the bridesmaid dresses are blue and very oceanic looking.
21.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know that 'sexy, plunging neckline' and 'simple, classic style' go hand in hand together....hehehee.

If she really is going to wear a sexy plunging neckline dress I'd get a longer necklace, something like a wrapped DBY or similar or a chandelier kind of thing....I don't know that a solitaire is going to jazz up a really low neckline super well..even a halo'd one.

Oh and for suggestions on where to look:

www.faycullen.com
www.fortunoff.com

lots of diamond necklaces in various styles on both those sites.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I also love this look from Leon Mege, and I think it would be beautiful with a sapphire as the largest stone:

p013-09W.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2006 3:42:50 PM
Author: Mara
I don''t know that ''sexy, plunging neckline'' and ''simple, classic style'' go hand in hand together....hehehee.

If she really is going to wear a sexy plunging neckline dress I''d get a longer necklace, something like a wrapped DBY or similar or a chandelier kind of thing....I don''t know that a solitaire is going to jazz up a really low neckline super well..even a halo''d one.

Oh and for suggestions on where to look:

www.faycullen.com
www.fortunoff.com

lots of diamond necklaces in various styles on both those sites.
i agree. if the neckline is plunging, go with something longer. a dbty would be fab.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock

ebmolldrem

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tips! I think you could have a sexy plunging neckline and also be elegant. But then again, I''m a guy. haha haa!! I know if I got a longer style pendant fate would present a clashing dress. Do you think a nice single stone pendant (or single with complimentary side diamonds) would look in most any dress? The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of getting a really spectacular sapphire with complimentary side diamonds. Is there a good sapphire dealer around that you can recommend? I''m still browsing styles...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the sapphire idea. Then you are giving her "something blue."

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate to throw a wrench in your well-meaning $4k-spending plans (will you give lessons to my husband?!)...but you really should find out what neckline she's got. Can you ask her Mom or something? aka if she's doing a straight strapless, then something like a solitaire or 3 stone small drop or horizontal 3 stone would be lovely, but if she is doing a long neckline then i would not wear something small and simple with that at all...and you'd hate to spend something like $4k or have something custom made or this or that to find out that it does not work with the style and then either have her not be able to wear it OR wear it and have it look horrible!

Also, when gals buy their wedding jewelry I always think of sets or similar, it may be hard for her to find something to 'match' with whatever you buy her...and does she know about this gift? What if she goes off and buys her own thing before you gift her with it.

What about a sapphire and diamond bracelet? That would be useful regardless of her neckline and she could still do her own thing re: necklace and earrings (which for me are more set-like typically for wedding because there is more focus on the neck and ears with hair up and strapless etc etc).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2006 3:35:44 PM
Author: ChooChoo
I love love love the look of sapphires with diamonds. My only concern would be that she might not want any color accents with her wedding day look. You could get a beautiful necklace by having an ideal cut diamond set into a halo like this:

83630.JPG

I''m sure Whiteflash could make this for you. I would find out how much a halo like this would cost, and then spend the rest on the center stone.
If it was for me, I''d certainly want something that could be worn often, and something with colored stones would not fit that category. I really, really would stick with all diamonds no matter what. I would choose a solitaire with halo as pictured here, more than likely. And if you are unsure of the neckline, then get it where the chain detaches so she can use a longer or shorter chain depending on the neckline.

ebmolldrem

Rough_Rock
I can probably find out what neckline she has from one of her bridesmaids. I agree, I wouldn''t want to buy something that would clash with her wedding dress. I''m going to have to have to think about diamond vs sapphire, necklace versus bracelot, etc. It''s a tough decision. Both of us are trying to save money now since I bought the engagement ring and we have a lot of wedding and honeymoon costs coming up, but I thought it''d be nice to give her a pre-wedding gift that she can use during the wedding. She was planning to use a diamond necklace that her mother has.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
If she is planning to use a necklace of her mom''s, maybe you want to take mara''s advice and think about a bracelet (maybe one that compliments the necklace yet can stand alone for regular wear after the wedding?) She may be using that as her "something borrowed" or "something old" and it may have special meaning for her, so if you get her one she may be conflicted which to wear.

BTW can you talk to MY husband? I didnt get squat for gifts before the wedding from him. let alone a generous $4k one! Your fiance is beautiful btw and so is the ring you got her!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
What a great idea. Can you speak with my husband?
Anyway....how about a simple solitaire necklace and matching earrings? That would be something she could wear for the wedding and forever after. You could easily get nice ones for $4K or even less.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2006 7:10:28 PM
Author: gailrmv
What a great idea. Can you speak with my husband?

Anyway....how about a simple solitaire necklace and matching earrings? That would be something she could wear for the wedding and forever after. You could easily get nice ones for $4K or even less.

This is exactly what I wore on my wedding day. I wore a platinum .55 carat solitaire in a 4 prong basket setting pendant and matching .80 tcw studs in platinum from whiteflash and it was so timeless and classic, and I can still wear them with my jeans and a t shirt and not feel overdressed. and they were less than $4k :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A solitaire pair of earrings would be a wonderful gift! You can get about 1.5 ctw with your budget! I think that would be great since she was planning to wear her mother''s necklace.

midgirl

Shiny_Rock
I completely agree. Large diamond earrings are the way to go. They would be completely useful and will stay with her forever, especially with your budget, diamond earrings are really a classic piece of jewelry and she IS already borrowing her mother''s necklace (something new, blue and borrowed).

I say EARRINGS!!!!!!
21.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to suggest a ''Y'' necklace - possibly made to be worn as a diamond solitaire pendant as an option.

The second stone could be something blue (say, aqua or blue topaz briolette - there''s some natural blue topaz floating around and other would be large, impressive if so cut and not terribly expensive) or a larger drop shaped pearl... thinking that on this thread
31.gif
the drop part would be merely a wedding-targeted prop to an otherwise perfectly sage diamond solitaire pendant.
12.gif

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I would work with her mom on this - ask to see the necklace, and then pick out matching earrings and/or bracelet together with her. I''m sure her mom can keep a secret! It may also turn out that the mom will tell you that you really should buy a necklace b/c she is only borrowing her mother''s for convenience. Either way, talking to her first is a good idea.

ebmolldrem

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the compliments and good advice!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha I told Greg about this thread and he rolled his eyes and said 'A WEDDING GIFT?????' ....and then said that my gift was our great vacation in Hawaii and Tahiti...uhh okay honey. And previously whenever someone talks about 'wedding gifts' to each other, he has said that my gift was finding a man like him to marry.
20.gif
Men!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for diamond studs set in a martini setting.
2.gif

ebmolldrem

Rough_Rock
Mara, I like Greg''s sense of humor! I''ll have to use that line if I don''t find anything. LOL
3.gif

What''s a martini setting, Kaleigh?

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results