shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond is scratched already?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mschiano

Rough_Rock
I''ll be heading there tomorrow afternoon once we make a decision. Can I simply ask to have everything in writing? Or is there a better approach I should take? Getting it in writing is a great idea.

I was going to get the new diamond, or fixed diamond, appraised by an outside appraiser. So are you saying that I should tell Robbins which appraiser to use, more or less? As well as pay for it?

The diamond is a princess cut; a little larger than .7ct. I wanted something entirely colorless, so I opted for a smaller diamond to stay within budget. Turns out she loves the size and it fits perfectly on her finger. A win-win. :)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely seek out an independent appraiser. You''re going to need one either way. If they try to fix the stone by polishing out the chip, you want it to be seen by an appraiser before hand. If they want to replace your stone, you want to have an independent appriaser to give it the once over to make sure it''s a good deal for you considering what you had before. Apples to apples and such... I wouldn''t use their appraiser, would want an unbiased opinion. JMHO. Best of luck.

mschiano

Rough_Rock
Another update. :)

Dropped off the ring yesterday. I''ll find out Monday if it can be fixed to my standards or not. Otherwise, they''ll give me a similar diamond of my choosing. Or if they fix the diamond, and it comes back not meeting my standards, we''ll still be able to replace it with a similar diamond of my choosing. A win-win, if you ask me.

He provided me everything in writing, so I should be covered there.

He''s unsure about how long the process is going to take, which kind of annoyed me. But I pressed him several times for an estimate, but he wouldn''t budge. The best he could do is try to find out on Monday, from corporate, how long they think the process will take to fix the diamond. If "corporate" cannot determine a time-frame, he claims there are limited cutters in the area, so the cutter will have to give an estimate of time once the cutter has the diamond in his possession. Not entirely comfortable about not knowing when our diamond is coming back, but hopefully I''ll find out some good news on Monday when he calls.

For more advice, should I go with an independent jewerly insurance agency, like the ones Robbins recommends, or should I just go through my home owners insurance and make sure they will cover it from now on?

Also, I never got the ring engraved. Is it too late to do so? If not, is it bad luck to get it engraved since I''ve already proposed to her?

Thanks guys!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
When I got my ring the jeweler wanted to be sure the ring size was correct before doing any engraving. After I liked the size, we had engraving added to the inside of the band.

I don't have any opinion as to whether engraving is good or bad luck. It is personal preference.

ETA - My jewelry is covered by a State Farm personal articles policy.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
So, I''m just a wee bit curious...All the experts tell you to get the ring appraised independently BEFORE you take it back to the store, and yet, you didn''t?
38.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/2/2007 10:28:16 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
I now suggest you find an appraiser - preferrably one on pricescopes list - they should behave ethically and with expertise - if not we will have them removed as it is a free listing -

Tell the manager what you are doing, and offer more than one name if there are choices.

Ask that the appraiser arbitrate (ask the appraiser if they are happy to do that first.)

It is possible the appraiser does work for Robbins - it should not be a problem.

Your choice - but I would ask Robbins to pay for the appraiser.

If they argue tell them it will be a lot less costly than paying a lawyer

I usually recommend that you (the consumer) pay the appraiser yourself in these sorts of situations because it avoids any level of confusion over who the appraiser's client is, you or the store. You can get reimbursed from the store later as part of the 'damages'. With a good appraiser it won't make any difference but it's always best to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest. Ideally, there isn't even a reason to tell the appraiser who the store is.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/4/2007 12:45:03 PM
Author: mschiano

Dropped off the ring yesterday. I''ll find out Monday if it can be fixed to my standards or not. Otherwise, they''ll give me a similar diamond of my choosing. Or if they fix the diamond, and it comes back not meeting my standards, we''ll still be able to replace it with a similar diamond of my choosing. A win-win, if you ask me.

He provided me everything in writing, so I should be covered there.

He''s unsure about how long the process is going to take, which kind of annoyed me. But I pressed him several times for an estimate, but he wouldn''t budge. The best he could do is try to find out on Monday, from corporate, how long they think the process will take to fix the diamond. If ''corporate'' cannot determine a time-frame, he claims there are limited cutters in the area, so the cutter will have to give an estimate of time once the cutter has the diamond in his possession. Not entirely comfortable about not knowing when our diamond is coming back, but hopefully I''ll find out some good news on Monday when he calls.

For more advice, should I go with an independent jewerly insurance agency, like the ones Robbins recommends, or should I just go through my home owners insurance and make sure they will cover it from now on?

Also, I never got the ring engraved. Is it too late to do so? If not, is it bad luck to get it engraved since I''ve already proposed to her?

Thanks guys!!
Great.
Dont push them on time - you want a good job, not a rushed job.

If you are getting a replacemnet offer then make sure you have your original to compare.

I do think you can do this without an appraiser because the goodwill meter has swung back in your favour
36.gif

mschiano

Rough_Rock
I was certainly going to go with an appraiser before dropping the ring off, but I wanted to get a "feel" for the sincerity of the managers apology offer. As I talked with him, I felt comfortable proceeding with Robbins'' process. I will, however, seek out an appraiser when I get the ring back fixed, or when I get a new diamond.

Date: 10/4/2007 12:45:03 PM
Author: mschiano

Thanks guys!!

WELL, seeing as how you are either getting your diamond itself worked on or getting a new diamond I don''t thing engraving your ring a little is going to have much impact on your luck.

And don''t remember, you are already lucky! The woman you love is going to marry you! I am sure that somehow her or the love between the two of you brings enough luck to override any negative engraving consequences
21.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please seek an independent appraiser after the ring is fixed to make sure it is indeed *fixed* and there are no further problems.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most people have the wedding rings engraved, not the engagement ring. Good luck on getting your stone repaired or replaced! I wouldn''t keep that stone unless they can make it perfect again.

mschiano

Rough_Rock
Well, an update. The diamond has supposedly been fixed, and is ready to be picked up. Apparently, they only shed .1 off of the original ct weight. We're heading there tomorrow to take a look, and I have an appointment with an outside appraiser later next week.

The one thing that struck me as kind of odd is that they're issuing me a new diamond seriel number on it, and all new certificate paperwork. They also request that I hand in the original certificate paperwork, as well.

Is this normal?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um, .1 is kind of a lot, unless you meant .01. That means you now have a .6 carat diamond when before you had a .7 carat diamond. I wouldn''t be happy with that if I were you. I''d ask for a new diamond or a good sized refund if .1 really is the amount of carat weight lost.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results