shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond buying in Toronto, Dundas Square

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Akaz1976

Rough_Rock
I recently agreed to buy a diamond in platinum setting at the local diamond whole sale market.

Diamond is:

Carat 1.5
Color D
Clarity SI1
Cut Good
Price $13000 (Canadian)
Appraised by Gemscan.

I wanted to send the diamond by itself (to get better appraisal) to the appraiser and then go to the appraiser with the dealer to pick up the diamond and then have it fitted to the ring in front of me (so as to reduce chance of a switch)

Instead today the dealer has informed that she picked up the ring from the appraiser and now i can pick it up from her any time i want.

Am i being scammed or is she just providing poor customer service?

Thanks

Akaz

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
That sounds kind of strange. I would speak with the appraiser so find out what he thought of the diamond. Ask to see the appraisal. If it's certified you may be able to then tell it is the same diamond, because the appraiser must have seen the certification. He/She would be able to tell if the diamond didn't match it's certificate. Ask about inclusions to ensure that you are discussing the same diamond. Is it laser-inscribed? That might be another way to make sure he examined the correct diamond.

Akaz1976

Rough_Rock
It is laser inscribed.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Could you then varify what the appraiser read the inscription as?

Akaz1976

Rough_Rock
yes i can. Sorry if this is a stupid question but can laser inscription be faked or messed with?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I have never heard of this happening. I guess anything is possible, but I doubt it.

Akaz1976

Rough_Rock
okay thanks. that clinches. guess i am being just paranoid. but it freaks me out to be paying so much for such small thing that i cant judge :p

Akaz

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I know exactly what you mean. When it comes to my diamond, I trust no one and I am the queen of paranoia
13.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2005 3:00:48 PM
Author: Akaz1976
yes i can. Sorry if this is a stupid question but can laser inscription be faked or messed with?
Hi Akaz,

Swapping a diamond is a commonly discussed fear, but it seldom occurs, and should never occur with a reputable jeweler. Too much is at risk. Such a petty and discoverable trick isn't worth losing your entire business or repuatation of good service that took years to build.

That said, there is discussion occuring in this thread about inscriptions and theft/loss/swapping that might interest you.

bubbahead

Rough_Rock
i dont trust those dundas square shops personally. When you hear stories like that instead of positive experiences, just stay away

joycer

Rough_Rock
For the same price you can get a GIA certified diamond (~11,000US) on pricescope. Ask yourself this question, why use Gemscan when if the diamond truly is a 1.5ct D SI1 the GIA cert (or AGS) will fetch a higher premium? I personally wouldn''t spend that kind of money without a GIA or AGS report to assure me I was getting what I paid for. I HIGHLY recommend you get in contact with USA certed diamonds (http://www.usacerteddiamonds.com/). They are in your area, are a very reputable Pricescope vendor, stock high quality diamonds with GIA and AGS reports and have a price match policy (I believe) to match the best online retail price. Another canadian vendor who should have a price match policy is http://www.canadian-diamonds-wholesale.com/ They are in BC so you could avoid the PST. You haven''t mentioned anything about the cut of this diamond, for many people an acceptable color/clarity/carat is fine so long as the cut is exceptional.

Good luck with your search
-joycer

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
HI! I am from just Belleville, Ontario (East of Kingston) and just came back today from a trip to Toronto to upgrade my diamond. I purchased my original locally at a B&M but went elsewhere to upgrade. (That store wanted too much $$). Anyway, we got to the Jewelery Exchange (across from Eaton Center) after they closed so my hubby and I just looked at the cert''s through the window. The owner happened to be leaving so he chatted with him for a few minutes about a few that interested us. We told him we were looking to upgrade my .74 princess. We chatted some more about stuff, i.e. his puppy and then we told him we would stop by the next day.
We had a nice conversation, in which my hubby and I both felt this man took pride in his work. He has been there for over 25 yrs and seemed quite knowledgable. we did go back the next day and we spent around 2 hrs in the morning and another 1 1/2 or so in the evening looking at a few stones, talking about business, and life etc. Anyway, we both felt very comfortable with him and decided to go ahead with the trade in. I will be getting my ring back in the next week or so and I will update to hopefully provide a positive experience from Dundas Square.

BTW, what I am getting is:

Radiant Cut
1.54 ct.
SI-1
J- color.
cut: medium

I have read some posts about re-cutting stones. IS that worthwhile??

We had hoped for a better color but this has a nice whiteness to it. MY ring has 12 channel set princesses all g-h color and the J center didn''t look poor next to it. I will post some pics when it is finished. I can''t wait!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results