shape
carat
color
clarity

Democrat Discussion -with RULES-

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2008 5:53:33 PM
Author: MoonWater

Date: 11/4/2008 5:27:09 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 11/4/2008 5:22:38 PM
Author: EBree

Date: 11/4/2008 4:52:07 PM
No. Sean Hannity''s. I''m sure I must hate him as much as Reps hate Keith Oberlman.
9.gif

Oh, I agree, but O''Reilly has a much better ''WAHHH'' face.
3.gif
crackup.gif

moon, seriously, I would LOVE to stuff a sock in his maniacal mouth. And a dirty one at that.
3.gif
Ooh, if you can find thing2''s socks those would work perfectly!!
Funny, I thought of her socks when I was posting that.
9.gif

Starset, I hope that''s really the case!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2008 5:55:00 PM

No. Sean Hannity''s. I''m sure I must hate him as much as Reps hate Keith Oberlman.
9.gif

3.gif
crackup.gif

moon, seriously, I would LOVE to stuff a sock in his maniacal mouth. And a dirty one at that.
3.gif

9.gif

HEEEEEY! I''M RIGHT HERE!!!!

But to be honest (and please don''t judge me!), I have a couple of STANKY socks in my soccer bag that need washing. I''d be glad to send them O''Reilly''s way!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
9.gif

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
I just voted!
1.gif
Felt such a surge of emotion, I almost choked up. I was thrilled to be casting a ballot in favor of someone I truly supported, instead of choosing between the lesser of two evils. I even memorialized the moment by taking a picture with my cell phone! And I felt really proud and honored to be participating in the democratic process.

Go Obama!

No on Prop. 8!

E B

Ideal_Rock
ETA: Oops! Meant to post in election night thread.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2008 6:01:54 PM
Author: thing2of2
Date: 11/4/2008 5:55:00 PM

9.gif

3.gif
crackup.gif

3.gif

9.gif

HEEEEEY! I''M RIGHT HERE!!!!

But to be honest (and please don''t judge me!), I have a couple of STANKY socks in my soccer bag that need washing. I''d be glad to send them O''Reilly''s way!
9.gif

You guys just made me snort out loud. FF thinks I''m nuts.

Only 35 more minutes until the polls close in the East! Can''t wait!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
I just had to post this reflection from Wasilla somewhere. link the take away quote is “I can’t believe we now have a president with the middle name Hussein, after we’ve spent so many years fighting a war in Iraq,”

Well, as the euphoria dies down, I''m just going to hang out here in MA with some retired greyhounds, smoke under an ounce of pot, and pay my income tax; ballot initiatives are so weird. I am in shock over 8 in CA.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 10:33:07 AM
Author: swimmer
I just had to post this reflection from Wasilla somewhere. link the take away quote is “I can’t believe we now have a president with the middle name Hussein, after we’ve spent so many years fighting a war in Iraq,”

Well, as the euphoria dies down, I''m just going to hang out here in MA with some retired greyhounds, smoke under an ounce of pot, and pay my income tax; ballot initiatives are so weird. I am in shock over 8 in CA.
Wow.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2008 10:33:07 AM

Sad comment from Wasilla, though not at all surprising.

And, as a proud momma of two greyhounds, I have to say I am elated that MA voted to ban greyhound racing in its state.
36.gif

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I''ve had incredibly disheartening experiences this morning, and one that filled me with hope, so I guess they balance eachother out.

I will stay off the Republican thread as asked. To all of you who woke up this morning filled with worry for our country, I deeply empathize with you. I have woken up that way every day for a very long time now, and even though I consider Obama''s win to be a great opportunity for our country to heal, I''m also not naive enough to believe that one person, no matter how capable, can accomplish that. I am also more than willing to concede that Obama has not as YET proven anything about how capable he will be. All of that lies ahead of us. I will wait just like all of you to see if our faith and belief was warranted.

However, as hopeful as I started my day, the comments I''ve heard already from the opposing side have been, to say the very least, unpatriotic. I will not address them directly.

Back to the thing that filled me with hope. I called my 76 year old conservative Republican dad this morning to try to cheer him up a little bit. We talked about the election for awhile and his hopes for the Republican party being able to reenergize itself. My dad is what lately has been referred to as a "real American." He''s from a small town in Kentucky. He raised cattle and grew tobacco. He built the church they attended. He drives around with a Bible in his car. This morning he goes, "Maggie, I''m going to tell you something. I did something yesterday that I have never done. I abstained from voting. I have prayed about it and I just could not in good conscience vote for McCain. You know, I listened to Obama talk a lot in the last few months, and you''re too young to know about this, but he reminded me of Jackie Robinson. He makes people believe in him. I''ll tell you the truth, I''m glad your fellow won. I think he''s gonna be good for the country and I think he''s gonna make a lot of old folks like me start to think a little bit differently."

Microscopically small baby step, but a step that I would have never expected him to make. In my heart I know that if my dad can be gracious in defeat, there is hope for the rest of the country.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2008 12:54:32 PM
Author: MaggieB
Well, I''ve had incredibly disheartening experiences this morning, and one that filled me with hope, so I guess they balance eachother out.

I will stay off the Republican thread as asked. To all of you who woke up this morning filled with worry for our country, I deeply empathize with you. I have woken up that way every day for a very long time now, and even though I consider Obama''s win to be a great opportunity for our country to heal, I''m also not naive enough to believe that one person, no matter how capable, can accomplish that. I am also more than willing to concede that Obama has not as YET proven anything about how capable he will be. All of that lies ahead of us. I will wait just like all of you to see if our faith and belief was warranted.

However, as hopeful as I started my day, the comments I''ve heard already from the opposing side have been, to say the very least, unpatriotic. I will not address them directly.

Back to the thing that filled me with hope. I called my 76 year old conservative Republican dad this morning to try to cheer him up a little bit. We talked about the election for awhile and his hopes for the Republican party being able to reenergize itself. My dad is what lately has been referred to as a ''real American.'' He''s from a small town in Kentucky. He raised cattle and grew tobacco. He built the church they attended. He drives around with a Bible in his car. This morning he goes, ''Maggie, I''m going to tell you something. I did something yesterday that I have never done. I abstained from voting. I have prayed about it and I just could not in good conscience vote for McCain. You know, I listened to Obama talk a lot in the last few months, and you''re too young to know about this, but he reminded me of Jackie Robinson. He makes people believe in him. I''ll tell you the truth, I''m glad your fellow won. I think he''s gonna be good for the country and I think he''s gonna make a lot of old folks like me start to think a little bit differently.''

Microscopically small baby step, but a step that I would have never expected him to make. In my heart I know that if my dad can be gracious in defeat, there is hope for the rest of the country.
Maggie, thank you for sharing that story about your Dad. It made me smile! And I don''t think it''s a small baby step . . . I think it''s a HUGE step, and I think there are many, many people who are feeling the same way your Dad is right now. And THAT is progress!!!
16.gif

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 1:16:41 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Back to the thing that filled me with hope. I called my 76 year old conservative Republican dad this morning to try to cheer him up a little bit. We talked about the election for awhile and his hopes for the Republican party being able to reenergize itself. My dad is what lately has been referred to as a ''real American.'' He''s from a small town in Kentucky. He raised cattle and grew tobacco. He built the church they attended. He drives around with a Bible in his car. This morning he goes, ''Maggie, I''m going to tell you something. I did something yesterday that I have never done. I abstained from voting. I have prayed about it and I just could not in good conscience vote for McCain. You know, I listened to Obama talk a lot in the last few months, and you''re too young to know about this, but he reminded me of Jackie Robinson. He makes people believe in him. I''ll tell you the truth, I''m glad your fellow won. I think he''s gonna be good for the country and I think he''s gonna make a lot of old folks like me start to think a little bit differently.''

Maggie, thank you for sharing that story about your Dad. It made me smile! And I don''t think it''s a small baby step . . . I think it''s a HUGE step, and I think there are many, many people who are feeling the same way your Dad is right now. And THAT is progress!!!
16.gif
Thanks Emm! It really made me smile too and I thought others might appreciate it.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
LOL... THE ONION again...

Black Man Given Nation''s Worst Job
November 5, 2008 | Issue 44•45

WASHINGTON—African-American man Barack Obama, 47, was given the least-desirable job in the entire country Tuesday when he was elected president of the United States of America. In his new high-stress, low-reward position, Obama will be charged with such tasks as completely overhauling the nation''s broken-down economy, repairing the crumbling infrastructure, and generally having to please more than 300 million Americans and cater to their every whim on a daily basis. As part of his duties, the black man will have to spend four to eight years cleaning up the messes other people left behind. The job comes with such intense scrutiny and so certain a guarantee of failure that only one other person even bothered applying for it. Said scholar and activist Mark L. Denton, "It just goes to show you that, in this country, a black man still can''t catch a break."

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 2:06:00 PM
Author: trillionaire

WASHINGTON—African-American man Barack Obama, 47, was given the least-desirable job in the entire country Tuesday when he was elected president of the United States of America. In his new high-stress, low-reward position, Obama will be charged with such tasks as completely overhauling the nation''s broken-down economy, repairing the crumbling infrastructure, and generally having to please more than 300 million Americans and cater to their every whim on a daily basis. As part of his duties, the black man will have to spend four to eight years cleaning up the messes other people left behind. The job comes with such intense scrutiny and so certain a guarantee of failure that only one other person even bothered applying for it. Said scholar and activist Mark L. Denton, ''It just goes to show you that, in this country, a black man still can''t catch a break.''
LOL!!

I love the Onion. Good stuff.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock

ok seriously, i teared up at the story about your dad. it makes me so happy.
36.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock

WASHINGTON—African-American man Barack Obama, 47, was given the least-desirable job in the entire country Tuesday when he was elected president of the United States of America. In his new high-stress, low-reward position, Obama will be charged with such tasks as completely overhauling the nation''s broken-down economy, repairing the crumbling infrastructure, and generally having to please more than 300 million Americans and cater to their every whim on a daily basis. As part of his duties, the black man will have to spend four to eight years cleaning up the messes other people left behind. The job comes with such intense scrutiny and so certain a guarantee of failure that only one other person even bothered applying for it. Said scholar and activist Mark L. Denton, ''It just goes to show you that, in this country, a black man still can''t catch a break.''

Hahaha...they''re great. Ok these Onion stories remind me of the article I read on the Root a while back:

How they knew Obama would win

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock

Maggie,

Thank you for sharing your family story with us. I too, feel a great sense of joy and pride for this country, and moreover, great HOPE for the mankind.

As much as I understand how the supporters for GOP feel, reading what some of them has written post election made me sad that they would not even give their new president a chance to heal this country. Like you said, it is unpatriotic, and not McCain-like at all. I do wish all the negative emotions will calm down in time and that we will finally unite as one, for the sake of this country, and the future of our children.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

HA! Love the Onion!

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Remember the website with Palin in the White House and all the little gags? they updated the site and you are going to smile. link

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Maggie, that story was incredibly moving. Not merely because of your father''s touching story, but because I feel your apprehension and anxiety. It is, of course, on everyone''s mind. Let''s remember that it isn''t Obama that is being tested. Democracy is being tested. We, the people are being tested. It may be humanites final exam. Let''s hope we pass.

Moon, when someone asks me why I love going to the football games so much, they don''t understand that each time I do I get to be among community of all different gender, color, age, team affliliation, and we all begin by singing the national anthem. That was an awesome video.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 9:10:58 PM
Author: miraclesrule

Moon, when someone asks me why I love going to the football games so much, they don''t understand that each time I do I get to be among community of all different gender, color, age, team affliliation, and we all begin by singing the national anthem. That was an awesome video.

I kept finding more videos and a lot of people across the country broke into singing the National Anthem. It was so great to see.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2008 9:26:36 PM

Date: 11/5/2008 9:10:58 PM
Author: miraclesrule

I kept finding more videos and a lot of people across the country broke into singing the National Anthem. It was so great to see.
Bet it was pretty ghastly to hear though.
2.gif
And in case anyone thinks I''m trashing the National Anthem, I''m not really. I have the same affection for it in most ways, as anyone.

But it is widely acknowledged as a pretty difficult song for the average person to sing. My favorite is to hear someone (clearly untrained) get up and begin the song acapella, get a few bars in, and realize quickly that they started too high. The looks of pure panic on their faces as they realize how utterly screwed they are because with the key they''re in, there is no way ever, they will make the high note, is pretty entertaining.

I know, I''m cruel. Not really though. I actually don''t like to see people like that, but it does seem common.
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 8:54:53 PM
Remember the website with Palin in the White House and all the little gags? they updated the site and you are going to smile. link
Sure is quiet in there.
9.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2008 7:58:58 AM

Sure is quiet in there.
9.gif
Calm. Serene. No dead wildlife. Nice....

(I have to confess though, the DH and I laughed like loons, when we discovered Bambi, Thumper, and the penguin...)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 8:13:24 AM
Author: ksinger

Date: 11/6/2008 7:58:58 AM

Sure is quiet in there.
9.gif
Calm. Serene. No dead wildlife. Nice....

(I have to confess though, the DH and I laughed like loons, when we discovered Bambi, Thumper, and the penguin...)
lol It was entertaining indeed, albeit in a sad way. Quite representitive of Miss Palin.

I think this new scenario represents our president elect to a T.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results