shape
carat
color
clarity

Demantoid Garnet Picture

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I posted it for TL in my new scope thread, but the picture didnt turn out the way I wanted...I figured out it was because I was taking it too close to the light source and it was flooding the stone.

So here is a better pic with the true color of the demantoid I got for x mas. The other one looked yellow
emcrook.gif
and didnt represent my little stone well. Can you see the horse tails?

demantoidKSPS0.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2010 2:20:17 PM
Author:RockHugger
I posted it for TL in my new scope thread, but the picture didnt turn out the way I wanted...I figured out it was because I was taking it too close to the light source and it was flooding the stone.

So here is a better pic with the true color of the demantoid I got for x mas. The other one looked yellow
emcrook.gif
and didnt represent my little stone well. Can you see the horse tails?
That''s a very clear picture of it. These gems tend to shift color, does yours go more green in sunlight? They tend to go more olive in artificial light. Thanks RockHugger.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes. In natural light it is actually more bluish green, and in artificial light it shifts to a more yellow green/olive color. I have some photogenic gems like my tanzanite and paraiba....and then I have gems like this that act like the crying kid on santas lap when trying to photograph them.

Why cant they all just cooperate? :razz:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gave up photographing my demantoids a long time ago. I feel your pain.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The bottom of the stone. There are thread like whips. I can see them with a loup, but they are hard to photograph. I can see them in this photo though.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
See circled area

That is a beautiful horsetail. Mine isnt as large or pronounced as that one, but its there. That would be your ideal horsetail :razz:.

demantoidKSPS0horsetail.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2010 3:36:35 PM
Author: RockHugger
The bottom of the stone. There are thread like whips. I can see them with a loup, but they are hard to photograph. I can see them in this photo though.
Can you zoom in with your new microscope thingy? I'd be interested to see them.

Here are some great pictures of horsetail inclusions http://gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Andradite - go to the end of the page.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful demantoid Rockhugger! I can see the horsetails near the point of the trillion.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I cannot express nicely how difficult this thing is to photograph up close. 90% of the pictures all I got was reflection or blur. I was able to get some of the horsetails though SUPER close at 140%. I will keep trying but intill I can get better here is the close ups I have...This picture is of the larger aspestos fibers that can be seen if you look very closely with the naked eye, and seen in the pictures.

Some of the TINY 'whisps' are actually the grooves from cutting/polishing.

demantoidhorsetailks03.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Different angle. Upper left corner of picture you can see a couple groups of small horsetails. The big long thing next to the horse tails is an inclusion of some sort.

demantoidhorsetailks01.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting photos! TFS

I think that Blue/Green stones must be the hardest ones to photograph. I tried taking some photos of blue/green stones yesterday and they don''t look anything like the stones look IRL.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool photos. It''s interesting how the zoom in also gets rid of the colour isn''t it? What magnification have you used?

They sort of look like horsetails but in all honesty it''s not clear and you can''t see what are reflections or other type of inclusions. Have you tried using your scope with different coloured backgrounds? I wonder if that would help? It might not but it''d be fun trying!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/30/2010 5:04:39 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Very cool photos. It''s interesting how the zoom in also gets rid of the colour isn''t it? What magnification have you used?

They sort of look like horsetails but in all honesty it''s not clear and you can''t see what are reflections or other type of inclusions. Have you tried using your scope with different coloured backgrounds? I wonder if that would help? It might not but it''d be fun trying!
I am 100% sure they are horse tails, but I have seen them first hand. There are inclusions in there, but the asbestos is pretty easy to see with the loup. This stone is just a pain in the butt to photograph because of the reflections and glare. I will try with a different background. Gimme a few min to try it out.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
They are definitely more obvious in the second zoomed photo you''ve posted. Thanks! Its really neat to see close ups of a horsetail.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Got a perfect horsetail picture. Thanks LD for the change in background idea. Took this one with a black background. The little bubble looking inclusions are actually micro nicks on the surface. Forgot to add, this is taken at 120x.

demantoidhtks01.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another great horsetail pic. Again 120x.

emantoidHt02.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great photos! I can see you''re going to have tons of fun with that little device! Those last photos do show what look like horsetail inclusions - can you see anything else?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With the black background I can see this little stone is just full of these micro horsetails, not just the couple I thought were in it and visable through a loup. Its really neat!!
Nothing else interesting that I can see other then the tiny chips and a couple tiny inclusions.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool RH,
Thanks for the additional great shots!!!
36.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW your new toy is really great. Thanks for the new photos. Changing the background really worked.
21.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the extra effort to show us the horsetail inclusions!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question. I''m so tempted to buy one of those. Do you have to futz around with it a lot to get such crisp pictures, especially at higher magnification?

Thanks again!!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not too much. Once you get the hang of it its pretty easy to zoom right in. It took me about 10 min to get the last 2 close up pics. To me the hardest is keeping my hand steady while taking the picture, not really getting zoomed in. You need to keep steady for about 3 seconds when pushing the picture button to get a clear shot. If the scope moves at all, its blurry. I took 2-3 shots of each horsetail inclusion and then I pick out the one that came out the clearest.

The low frame per second is the only thing that makes it a little annoying. When you move the scope it takes 1/2 second to show up on the screen so the timing takes some getting used to. But for what it can do, and the price...its just a minor annoyance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results