shape
carat
color
clarity

Decagon vs Octagon Nova?

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock

The fact is I love both, I’m just not sure if the octagon looks too white (which could hinder the sparkle effect due to lack of contrast) and if the unique pattern would get old or even look almost fake if that makes sense. I understand the octagon is newer. I’m just curious if there’s a general consensus. The first link is the best comparison I’ve seen online, from JP themselves but it’s unlisted. Thank you!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
If you're really serious, you could do a zoom/whatsapp video conference with them and see them in real time. I agree with you - it's not clear if the patterning of the Nova is in line with my tastes. Would definitely want to see one in real time.

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
If you're really serious, you could do a zoom/whatsapp video conference with them and see them in real time. I agree with you - it's not clear if the patterning of the Nova is in line with my tastes. Would definitely want to see one in real time.

I already paid the $1,000USD to get the process started, I just have to confirm the shape. I think I’m gonna end up going decagon but just interested to see what people are saying

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
No comment on the merits of either fancy cut but I love how they are comparing them to like the worst GIA 3X possible in that video lol Marketing!

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
No comment on the merits of either fancy cut but I love how they are comparing them to like the worst GIA 3X possible in that video lol Marketing!

The difference between a super ideal cut and a typical triple excellent cut is well documented, though of course there are a ton of different qualities that match GIA 3X and the differences can become very small. That being said, I firmly believe JP’s cut precision is second to none and it’s honestly not an insane price difference for what I’m getting and I prefer not having to guess what’s good and take the time to buy multiple options to compare them to each other myself

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
I thought I preferred the octagon from the single videos but when I saw the 3 side by side that totally sold me on decagon!! But agree, if you can do a video call with them to get more IRL perspective that couldn't hurt. Either way seems you'll have a stunning stone though =)2

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just not a fan of either of the cuts. Its a personal thing. I prefer fatter arrows (less splintery diamonds) so the decagon
is not for me and I dont really love the look of the octagon either. Have you looked over on the lab forum? I think
several people have bought from JP over there and have been happy with their choice.

They are nice videos...thanks for posting!
Good luck!

Edit...after looking at the video again, if I were going to buy one it would be the octagon.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I prefer the octagon because I prefer fatter arrows.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I think I would prefer the octagon for smaller stones and the decagon for bigger stones.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I think I would prefer the octagon for smaller stones and the decagon for bigger stones.

Well that sums it up: SoaRFaabz you're gonna hafta go at least 4 carats! At least 5, for serious science.

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
Hahaha, man this is so difficult. Surprisingly more people have said octagon but it’s very close, probably 60-40 give or take 5%, but I think the decagon has gotten rave reviews from people who have seen it. I only know one person who saw both in person and picked octagon, but it’s also so new that it’s not exactly a fair comparison

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
I am personally drawn to the Octagon. However, if you are looking for a crisp hearts and arrows, Decagon is probably the way to go. Both are AMAZING.

jewels4life

Shiny_Rock
Hahaha, man this is so difficult. Surprisingly more people have said octagon but it’s very close, probably 60-40 give or take 5%, but I think the decagon has gotten rave reviews from people who have seen it. I only know one person who saw both in person and picked octagon, but it’s also so new that it’s not exactly a fair comparison
Well, I own a decagon and I love it so much ! It might not be for everyone , but it was for me . I went by what I liked since I’m wearing it and I’m mesmerized by it everyday still .

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Well, I own a decagon and I love it so much ! It might not be for everyone , but it was for me . I went by what I liked since I’m wearing it and I’m mesmerized by it everyday still .

You should update your thread with some more pictures and videos!

jjca

Rough_Rock

The fact is I love both, I’m just not sure if the octagon looks too white (which could hinder the sparkle effect due to lack of contrast) and if the unique pattern would get old or even look almost fake if that makes sense. I understand the octagon is newer. I’m just curious if there’s a general consensus. The first link is the best comparison I’ve seen online, from JP themselves but it’s unlisted. Thank you!

I love the octagon! But they are both gorgeous!

jewels4life

Shiny_Rock
You should update your thread with some more pictures and videos!

You’re absolutely right DejaWiz! I’ll get on that

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
I wish more people had the octagon lol it’s hard to tell in the small amount of videos and photos out there

thedebatingbookworm

Rough_Rock
I wish more people had the octagon lol it’s hard to tell in the small amount of videos and photos out there

I just put a deposit down for the Octagon Nova, I really liked it for her and am hoping she will too. I saw the decagon side by side and I liked it as well but idk I’m really not a fan of the black arrows in a diamond, while I understand they create contrast I just feel like they look off. The decagon was amazing though I can’t deny that but the Nova just won out also because it fits better in the setting design I want for her. Here’s the current design I have in mind right now (the prongs will be different, most likely 4), this was a very rough draft and they will send an actual render in the next 2-3 weeks

IMG_3006.png

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
I just put a deposit down for the Octagon Nova, I really liked it for her and am hoping she will too. I saw the decagon side by side and I liked it as well but idk I’m really not a fan of the black arrows in a diamond, while I understand they create contrast I just feel like they look off. The decagon was amazing though I can’t deny that but the Nova just won out also because it fits better in the setting design I want for her. Here’s the current design I have in mind right now (the prongs will be different, most likely 4), this was a very rough draft and they will send an actual render in the next 2-3 weeks

IMG_3006.png

Very interesting! Your setting design is very unique and beautiful! I’ve attached the two setting designs that I’m considering, do you think the decagon or the octagon would go better with these?

IMG_2755.jpeg IMG_2766.png

thedebatingbookworm

Rough_Rock
Very interesting! Your setting design is very unique and beautiful! I’ve attached the two setting designs that I’m considering, do you think the decagon or the octagon would go better with these?

IMG_2755.jpeg IMG_2766.png

Thank you! I really wanted something that evoked the sense of a fairy tale ring since she loves that kind of stuff (me too) . Both of your settings are beautiful as well, if you are doing that kind of setting I believe the decagon would be better since normally Round Brilliants look best on a solitaire setting and the decagon is essentially modified round brilliant with 10 sides. Either one will look fantastic however and it’s really down to what she will like. I truly feel that my gf will absolutely fall in love with flower / snowflake design and won’t be as amazed by the hearts and arrows even though they are stunning, but again that’s her preferences so go with whatever you feel you or your partner will love (not sure who the wrong is for)

Last edited:

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I really wanted something that evoked the sense of a fairy tale ring since she loves that kind of stuff (me too) . Both of your settings are beautiful as well, if you are doing that kind of setting I believe the decagon would be better since normally Round Brilliants look best on a solitaire setting and the decagon is essentially modified round brilliant with 10 sides. Either one will look fantastic however and it’s really down to what she will like. I truly feel that my gf will absolutely fall in love with flower / snowflake design and won’t be as amazed by the hearts and arrows even though they are stunning, but again that’s her preferences so go with whatever you feel you or your partner will love (not sure who the wrong is for)

Yeah it’s very difficult. I think on a stone to stone comparison, she prefers the octagon because of no dark arrows, but in mixed lighting I think the decagon outshines everything, especially when it comes to fire. I also think the decagon might look better with solitaires, though my SA did show me one on a solitaire and it still looked fine

thedebatingbookworm

Rough_Rock
Yeah it’s very difficult. I think on a stone to stone comparison, she prefers the octagon because of no dark arrows, but in mixed lighting I think the decagon outshines everything, especially when it comes to fire. I also think the decagon might look better with solitaires, though my SA did show me one on a solitaire and it still looked fine

Im my honest opinion I don’t think the decagon outshines everything when it comes to fire, the Nova and the Decagon are very very close, just the nova displays it’s fire in a different way than the Decagon, the black arrows on the Decagon are like a spinning wheel of flashes when light hits them as opposed to the kaleidoscope effect you get on the inner facets of the Nova. I much prefer the kaleidoscope effect but again that’s just an opinion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results